Rift, WoW, GW2? Which MMO?

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
It's like being the wife of alcoholic. For a year I been playing the ToRTanic... I love the story, and the running with lightsaber. But I finally started to take note of the bad sides of it (yeah, quite fast :p). I levelled up all the classess... got few of my 50s to raid gear, can do all the FPs / OPS with closed eyes.... and there is nothing else to do. Lots of things I like to do is broken, now they want iconic Star Wars looking gear for real money (all good looking stuff is cartel market only), so I'm cancelling my sub.

Which of the MMOs is now fun to play? I don't mind subscription. I want something that is not as broken as ToR... with fun endgame, interesting lore and good PvE side (I really don't care much of PvP). WoW scare me a bit with pandas and pet battles (left before MoP).

Nah WoW's fine. In fact it's the best time to play, there's so much to do, ESPECIALLY if you have more than one character, and even more so if you have characters on both factions. As you mentioned that you don't mind subscriptions, and having played WoW, no real reason NOT to come back and see what's changed. Good stuff IMO, all around.

Guild Wars 2 is great fun as well! :)

Sheesh, they want you to pay more money for gear when you are an actual subscriber? These nickel and dime tactics do more harm than good for their bottom line. Man did they ever screw this game up. I feel so ripped off paying full price and having a subscription for a month or two.

Did they ever bother putting Pazaak in the game? That really should have been a lunch feature. It isn't KOTOR without gambling in the cantinas.

Rift put out a new expansion that people say are good. GW2 is cheaper overall for an mmo too. Have you checked out The secret world for a more PVE oriented mmo? Its one you could play for a month or two to experience the content then move on.

Not wow! they made the game so easy its sad.you don't have to try you don't even need full groups to do instances. i would suggest gw2 or rift, but not wow since it has become ultra casual. well unless you like that kind of thing.

What's "fun" is very subjective. You'll just have to try them all and see. Not what you wanted to hear but they are all good games for different reasons. And two of them have free trials.

ArenaNet's idea of end game is PvP. Unless you want to wander around aimlessly farming this or that area or try your hand at PvP I would not advise GW2.
I too dislike PvP but GW2 does it a bit differently and it can be fun. I am not refering to sPvP.

Thanks guys... I'll first give a call to WoW. WOuld be easier to do, as I have lev 85 frost DK and priest there :) If I don't like it, I'll give Rift a try.

ArenaNet's idea of end game is PvP. Unless you want to wander around aimlessly farming this or that area or try your hand at PvP I would not advise GW2.
I too dislike PvP but GW2 does it a bit differently and it can be fun. I am not refering to sPvP.
You don't even need to level your character up to do sPVP though. So really it is like beginning game.

Will you not consider The Secret World? It really is the best PvE game out there, and IMO, has the best dungeons (virtually no trash, good boss mechanics, interesting settings/stories).

Will you not consider The Secret World? It really is the best PvE game out there, and IMO, has the best dungeons (virtually no trash, good boss mechanics, interesting settings/stories).

I've allergy on Funcom. Played AoC for the first few months, and I feel wrongly touched by them :D

I've allergy on Funcom. Played AoC for the first few months, and I feel wrongly touched by them :D

Secret World is truly a great PvE experience, especially if you have a buddy to play with. It's also free now. It's nothing like AoC imo.

Honestly OP I have not been impressed by any MMO as of late. I don't know if it's just me or what but I have not been able to find enjoyment in a MMO since I quit WoW years ago.

I'm having high hopes for Elder Scrolls Online. It can't let me down.. right?

Back in October my WoW account finally expired, but a few months before that I had decided no more MMOs for me. I have a Steam backlog that just can't be beat.

Try playing some non-MMOs for a while, perhaps that'll hold you over while you decide what game you're interested in?

Now is honestly the best wow's been since tbc. There's a lot to do. Leveling, dungeons, scenarios, world bosses, Daily quests, looking for raid, actual raiding, pvp. I think they tried to make this expansion have something for everyone, and I think they hit it just right.

I've played well over 400 hours in WoW, Probably the best MMO currently available, but I took a break and gave GW2 a try, and it was also very impressive. I really enjoyed the combat, and the PVP is great. PvP is pretty much all I did in WoW (PVE became boring). I've also heard very nice things about Rift. It's a shame SWTOR wasn't more of a success. SWTOR was fun, but there wasn't much to do after 30 or so hours of a character.

just started playing WoW again with my brother and his friends and im having a blast. I truly look forward to logging on to play with them. having friends makes WoW 100x more fun

Last edited:
Are there players out there that want to play a MMO without item stores, even if that means paying a subscription?

I would think some players want to play a game where everyone is on the same level. ie more real money is not going to get you more in game.

I Love TOR but never did the end Ops or anything and pvp, while fun is pretty unbalanced... i'm letting my sub expire

I love cryptic games (STO and CO) too but mainly because of the toon generation once you actually get into the game.. its kinda blah. PVP was fun in CO with free form toons but again.. pretty unbalanced.

I've been wanting to try GW2 and WoW again if only for PVP but I think the woman would kill me

WoW left a bad taste in my mouth after play'n in Cata Beta and after watching people play on twitch just a couple months ago I wasn't impressed.

SOE's SWG pre-CU is what i've been try'n to find... something like again would just make me soooo happy :)

Are there players out there that want to play a MMO without item stores, even if that means paying a subscription?

I would think some players want to play a game where everyone is on the same level. ie more real money is not going to get you more in game.

Probably lots judging by WoW? The problem is though it is hard for other new properties to break into and last in the market now.

Also even if there is no official item shop any popular game will still be plagued by third party transactions.

My sexy opinion :

WoW - Still good, much, much better than Cata, lots of stuff to do now if you're "bored".
GW2 - I wanted it to be great, there's some really cool stuff but, I dunno, it didn't grab me as much as I expected but it's great for 50$

I recently purchased The Secret World, I'm having a game-breaking bug (sound cuts off every few minutes) but other than that it's a great game. I love the modern setting, zombies, real-world weapon (Shotgun, Assault Rifle) the GFX are great, sounds (when they work) are good and the big big BIG ++++ is the story, the intro really got me into the game and I can't wait to progress farther (if I can fix my sound problem).

So yeah, like every Funcom bug there's some great aspect and some negative (my favotire MMO is still Anarchy Online) oh and TSW really gives you the liberty to be anyting you want, even if you start with Pistols you can switch to Chaos/Elementalism/Claws/whatever you want, anytime you want so it's nice.

GW2 flopped, it's just boring and the pvp is a war of attrition. Until EQ3 comes out, your best bet is WoW. It has the most content.

Eve online is, probably one of the best mmo's out there. they never compromise for the whining bitching casual crowd. its populated by for the most part a rather hard core Bunch of really cool people. the learning curve is unforgiving and if your shit blows up then its scrap floating in space. which makes pvp/ganking way more fun.

i've played quite a few MMO's over the years (lineage 2, WoW, aion, tera) and i just started playing guild wars 2. i can only stand to play gw2 for about 2 hours before i get bored, or just want to do something else.

no one from my guild plays this game (most quit tera and are playing single player games now or FPS/MOBA currently), and MMO games are pretty boring without your friends. If you can find a core group of people to play with, any MMO game can be fun.

i've played quite a few MMO's over the years (lineage 2, WoW, aion, tera) and i just started playing guild wars 2. i can only stand to play gw2 for about 2 hours before i get bored, or just want to do something else.

no one from my guild plays this game (most quit tera and are playing single player games now or FPS/MOBA currently), and MMO games are pretty boring without your friends. If you can find a core group of people to play with, any MMO game can be fun.

Glad you said that. I couldn't play GW2 for more than about an hour without getting bored. I couldn't put my finger on it either because the graphics were gorgeous and there was tons of content.

Eve online is, probably one of the best mmo's out there. they never compromise for the whining bitching casual crowd. its populated by for the most part a rather hard core Bunch of really cool people. the learning curve is unforgiving and if your shit blows up then its scrap floating in space. which makes pvp/ganking way more fun.

As someone who has played eve for like 7 years...

It's not a PvE game. ;)

WoW is still kind of a borefest. It just seems that the dungeon finder ruined the game. Making friends and talking to people is what makes MMOs worthwhile. But people, especially the children/teens/young adults, just don't have the attention span to want to chat. It's kill,kill,kill. Then gear/gear/gear.

WoW is still kind of a borefest. It just seems that the dungeon finder ruined the game. Making friends and talking to people is what makes MMOs worthwhile. But people, especially the children/teens/young adults, just don't have the attention span to want to chat. It's kill,kill,kill. Then gear/gear/gear.

I total agree its why i quit wow. after the dungeon finder came out it total destroyed the community aspect of the game. servers went from a tight knit communitys where every one knew each other (for the most part). Where instance runs would take an hour or 3. it may have taken longer to do stuff but you got to know people and in the long run it was more rewarding and more fun.

I total agree its why i quit wow. after the dungeon finder came out it total destroyed the community aspect of the game. servers went from a tight knit communitys where every one knew each other (for the most part). Where instance runs would take an hour or 3. it may have taken longer to do stuff but you got to know people and in the long run it was more rewarding and more fun.

I disagree.
Maraudon took freaking hours to complete.
BRD too.
Wailing Cavern *shivers*

You want to run SM as alliance?
Sure thing pal, fly to southshore, walk (if you were not 40) for 15 minutes, try to not get raped near UC, finally get to the dungeon, hope nobody decide they need to log off cause you're SCREWED big time. Now you only need 1h per instance to finish.

I'm glad they changed that, dungeons are quick, raids are still hard so if you want a challenge, join a raid guild.

I disagree.
BRD too.
Wailing Cavern *shivers*

Sure thing pal, fly to southshore, walk (if you were not 40) for 15 minutes, try to not get raped near UC, finally get to the dungeon, hope nobody decide they need to log off cause you're SCREWED big time. Now you only need 1h per instance to finish.

I'm glad they changed that, dungeons are quick, raids are still hard so if you want a challenge, join a raid guild.

Ok we will have to agree to disagree, matter of opinion and all that.

i was on a server where that was alliance dominant about 60/40. alliance didn't really have much issues with running sm

but i will argue that raids in wow are way to easy you can half pug a 20 man raid now. You don't have to work very hard on your gear. hell karazan and zg were harder than most of the 20 man raids these days. and compared to vanilla wow, fucking brd was harder than that (depending on how you were geared) and aq40 that was still hard with a pug group of 30 lvl 70s.

Sort of thread jacked sry OP.

I disagree.
BRD too.
Wailing Cavern *shivers*

I don't want to beat the end-game focus, but having played on and off for a long time, adventure seems diminished.The days of actually immersing yourself in a level are almost impossible. The dungeons you mentioned were a different world back then.

What I'm getting at is the community dynamic is different and evolved. If I were looking for virgin territory, discovery, and long-term small group camaraderie, that is no longer the case. That doesn't make WoW bad, it's just a different dynamic. I think that needs to be mentioned when viewing what game a person is looking for.

Basically, the game is figured out. There is a best way to do everything in WoW now. And, those best practices are protected by the devs.

We all love the shiny new feeling. WoW isn't that. It's the ex you can return to and bang when you get bored; sometimes she's better and the familiarity is comforting, other times she shows her age and the familiarity is a turn off.

I moved from WoW to Planetside, honestly the PVP is like PVE and it's PVFree although I have dumped some monies into it. I know it's still pvp, but you can treat it like WoW grinding certs out or you can treat it like TF2 and run around killing folks left and right.

I'd much rather pay a sub than get nickled and dimed to death with an item shop. Also too many games are doing the "gambling" thing with items, where you don't even actually buy an item, you buy a chance to get the item. That was one of the things that finally turned me off to GW2.

Back