Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

Well, the problem I'm having is that I'm also trying to queue for Tier 1s and do those for upgrades too. Sitting in the DPS queue = I go a long time not being able to get into the public groups doing zone events. :(

Always the case in MMOs. For whatever reason, most people want to be DPS. As such, DPS get long Qs, even though you need more DPS than tanks or heals. Only thing I can recommend is get another spec. As a healbot, I don't spend much time in the Q. Tanks are basically insta-Q.

Rift is $7.49 for the regular edition or $9.99 for the limited edition with a mount. It includes a month of free game time!

Link.

INteresting... I cancelled my account, and got a mail from Rift team, tellin me, that they understand that money is tight during crisis, so to make me reconsider, they send me a code, that gave me extra 30 days to try Rift again.

The game is not in my type.... but, I've to say, Trion managment of Rift is top notch. Wish more MMO devs would do things their way - take a hint Funcom or Cryptic :)

I have a Rift Hat coupon from Team Fortress 2. I think it produces a serial to enter into Rift, so pm me if you want it.
Code sent to cageymaru.

Last edited:
Hello all! If you missed the sale, I have another full copy of RIFT! PM me if interested - I wanted to give the thread readers a chance before resurrecting my FS board thread. I also have a couple of FREE Trials with bonus items I can send your way for anyone interested.

RIFT is improving an already great game swiftly and patch 1.6 is now released with new world events, holiday events, Max-Level Advancement (Planar Advancement Tier 2!) and more! I've played pretty much every major Western MMORPG since EverQuest, and RIFT I can safely say is by far the best post-WoW "Theme-park" Fantasy MMO to date, and Trion worlds is a top notch developer with regards to player respect/interaction.

Last edited:
Guys you might want to read this. I just got the email about this today.

Fucking hackers. Good luck and hopefully nobody here will be affected.

I am so sick of this fucking hacker bullshit. I swear I'm going to make a junk email just for games, and create a phony name/address and use only time cards. This is fucking ridiculous. Now I need to change all my passwords, ffs.

^Thx for the heads up.

I bought this game Nov.30th and loving it thus far.

My only gripes are long queues for pvp or dungeons sometimes.

Bringing this thread back up. Patch 1.6 brings yet more content and there was a neat holiday series of quests as well. I've not had as much chance to play as I wished recently, but Rift is still one of the most enjoyable and polished fantasy MMOs out there. Rift's success and polish has actually caused me to be more judgmental of SWTOR's faults. While many can rightly say that WoW had years to get where it is, Rift launched with the vast majority of WoW Cataclysm's major and minor features, plus their own special additions, with a much lower budget and less time than SWTOR.

For those who are a little underwhelmed with SWTOR or just want a non-WoW full-featured fantasy MMORPG, Rift is the best choice. I have several copies of the collector's edition (digital) I can sell on the cheap (with a month+ of free gametime) and "ascend-a-friend" keys that provide special benefits, like an exclusive title and increased XP gain. Let me know if you want to give it a try - its a good time for Rift!

Up we go again for RIFT patch 1.7!

Tons of great new features! See the patch notes here: http://forums.riftgame.com/official...-00am-pdt-2-1-11-na-2-00am-gmt-2-2-12-eu.html

Especially exciting for myself, is that 1.7 marks improvements especially for Roleplayers! In-game weddings are now fully fleshed-out features! Trion recognizes that roleplayers are an important part of the game's playerbase and number larger than hardcore "world-first" raiders, Arena-style PVP enthusiasts, and other subscriber categories, and thus should be more than an afterthought for MMO developers. When so much content is dedicated to placating the "game as a job" hardcores, its nice to see that roleplayers, crafters, puzzlers/explorers are still valued in a major MMO today!

However, this is not to say there isn't tons of new content available for all levels! Master modes, Slivers, dungeons, raids etc... all new stuff is launching. PVP has been completely revamped with regards to its reward scheme, which has pretty much universally been championed on test-realms as more content with less grinding. Also, for those who haven't tried RIFT or want more time, "RIFT Lite" has launched, which is basically an "eternal trial". Play on ANY "real, retail" server you choose with your friends, up to level 20 completely for free! Returning players welcome, so if you had a trial and wasn't sure if it was your cup of tea at the time, give it another go - you don't need a new account! No time limits and minimal limits to gameplay save for the level 20 restriction (handful of currency and communication spam requirements to keep professional gold-sellers from exploiting things), credit card free!

Again, if you want an XP bonus for those first 20 levels, an exclusive title, and other bonuses PM me for a special ascension code. If you find you like the game, I also have a couple copies of the Digital Collector's Edition (Version 2 - Ashes of History) for sale! Enjoy and don't hesitate to PM if you have any questions, or post to this thread.

As someone who's currently playing RIFT, WoW, and SWTOR, Trion's dev team really has shown me exactly how much halfassing is going on in SWTOR, a massively better staffed and funded project- inexcusable! No matter if you enjoy fantasy MMORPGs, are a newbie looking for somewhere to start, or just want to play something that isn't WoW, RIFT is in my opinion is one of the best choices you can make at the moment.

Up until 1.7, I the the dev team was doing an excellent job. After 1.7, not so much.

1/31/12 -> PTS 1.7 Set Changes #4
2/1/12 -> 1.7 Live

The PvE content was finished and fine, but PVP changes were NOT ready yet and had less than 24 hours on the PTS, with negative feedback on the extent of the changes. (Tweaks were needed, but not like these.....)

It is still a good game and the dev team has pushed a lot of content out since release.

Last edited:
I'm going to try it again, it bought it when it first came out but never subbed. I'll throw 15.00 at em and try it again.

I'm going to try it again, it bought it when it first came out but never subbed. I'll throw 15.00 at em and try it again.

It's pretty good. Since you haven't played in a long time, servers have merged (finally!) So you may need to transfer to new one. If you like pvp server rule sets, I'd suggest Seastone or Deepstrike. (Deepstrike was just labeled oceanic, but many long time players there are US based and tend toward EST play times. This is where my main toons are.)

Server transfers are free btw.

I still play and enjoy the game. There's raiding content scaling with the hardcoreness of the player. GSB and DH you can carry people through, GP is harder to but still possible, and then places like RotP and HK are near impossible to carry people through without being stupid geared. Even then, you will reach a point in those where you simply can't.

I'm thinking of trying it again... sort of underwhelmed with SWTOR after having played it for almost two months now. Rift I had issues with that I disliked, but I was logging in and having a lot of fun still for the most part. How is the game's population? The official forums seem to indicate it's pretty solid still, and Trion is talking about implementing a lot of extra PVP stuff that excites me. Any thoughts on how PVP has/hasn't improved since October, and any lesser-known tidbits I might not have stumbled on about how they're expanding it (recent devpost: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gen...al-discussion/297124-rift-one-year-later.html ).

Pretty sure my existing raiding guild moved servers... I'm currently Guardian/Wolfsbane but would love to hook up with a guild that does a few nights of a few hours each of raiding or something again (I've gone 10/11 HK, quit before RoTP came out for awhile, cleared everything else). I'm actually still subscribed for another two months... if one of those $90-100 for a year deals comes back I'll probably snag it.

Last edited:
Putting this back. RIFT players now hold the record for the most virtual marriages in a 24-hour period in the Guinness Book of World Records, over 21,000 on Valentine's Day, beating out a previous record held by Second Life! Those that got and stayed married until the end of the 14th were given special titles and other fun in-game items! Trion also held a special contest for people to write in their real-life stories of romance that involved RIFT, MMOs, or gaming in general and winners were given special awards as well as "free" in game marriages with all the trappings (it can cost a few Platinum just to get the legally-binding contract, but things like formal wear, food/drink etc...all cost extra of course, just like real life! Of course, even for all but the most extravagant weddings in RIFT are easily affordable by a max-level character. Note, there is no real-world money necessary for any of the wedding-related items in RIFT, unlike some other games), with a special bonus - the Priest/Officiant was a Trion GM! It reminds me of the times I preformed weddings for others back in EverQuest, when they allowed paid and volunteer GMs/"Guides" to work from home.

A rousing hit, weddings were the first of many features meant to bring content to RIFT for roleplayers, and anyone who wants to enjoy the "world" of Telara - its annoying to me in MMOs where it seems the entire gameworld is basically tailor-made exclusively to give you things to stab. I believe that there needs to be "non-stabby" content to make the gameworld feel like a "world" at all, and I'm glad that Trion feels the same way.

There's a lot more to come and the "Carnival of the Ascended" Patch 1.7 is promising to roll out many new "phases" and a huge content-"bomb" near their 1 Year Anniversary. Now is a great time to check out RIFT or come back to see the additions. GoldenTiger - you may want to check the listing above regarding the 1.7 patch notes, as they link to descriptions of PVP changes.

For those that want to give RIFT a try, or even if you've already created a trial (but have not applied a retail key), let me know and I can send you an Recruitment Ascension key which will give you, for free, bonus XP speed increase and a special unique title! (Disclaimer: I get an in-game item and sundry potions if you decide you like it and apply a retail key. If you play for a month, I get a month free. Otherwise, I get no benefit financially/outside the game.)

I also have a number of affordable Ashes of History Collector's Edition RIFT full retail keys for sale. These keys give the special Ashes of History Collector's Edition bonuses (a Spider mount, banker NPC you can summon anywhere, and special tabard) as well! You /may/ also be given some special starter gear like an extra 10-slot backpack and a whole ton of potions along with another special title! Best of all, unlike the "upgrades" sold from the site directly, my keys come with a full 30 days of playtime included - the "upgrades" require payment for the account key plus whatever payment schedule you chose, immediately!

Hope everyone is having fun - like GoldenTiger I too find myself a bit underwhelmed by SWTOR and constantly comparing their lack of progress and polish, despite their huge budget and EA backing, to RIFT's AAA level of polish and customer value. If you enjoy "Theme Park Hybrid" MMORPGs or just want to give one a try that's accessible and fun, RIFT is clearly one of the best choices around.

How far in this can you get in about a month?

Depends on your play style, frequency etc.... playing it for 8 hours a day as a full time job, you'd likely be able to hit 50. Note, there is also non-level based advancement that is achieved during and in some cases after you max level - Planar Advancement for instance is a "hex grid" of sorts that allows advancement points even after 50. The new set of PVP levels have their own requirements and rewards.

It all really depends on what you want to do, how narrow or wide your scope of play happens to be, and how much time you put into it.

I guess I could take up Red Bull for the first time. :p

Trying to see how much of a feel I can get for the game since I have copy with 30 days actually from a promotion.

not being super hard core and just playing after work and most of the day sundays I was able to hit 50 in a month. I still probably played more than i should.

Like most mmos the real game doesn't start till you're max lvl but you should still be able to tell if you like the game or not in 30 days.

For those interested, here are a list of restrictions associated with Trial accounts on "RIFT Lite"

RIFT Lite restrictions are as follows:
- A RIFT subscription is required to access any characters on the account above level 20
- Maximum Level: 20
- Can only create two characters per shard

- Maximum Currency: 5 Platinum / 500 Planarite / 1000 Favor

- Auction House: Purchase only; cannot sell

- Mail: Receive only; cannot send

- Trade: Receive only; cannot initiate

- Open Zones: Terminus, Mathosia, Freemarch, Silverwood, Meridian, and Sanctum

- Crafting: Novice (75) skill-level cap

- Guilds: Member only; cannot be promoted

- Chat: Local channels + level chat only; no global chats (trade/lfg/e

Note that certain restrictions are eased a bit in the case of a Recruitment Ascension/Ascend-A-Friend key. Teleportation between linked account locations for instance, plus the ability to trade/whisper etc... with those on your friends list. However, even with the aforementioned restrictions, RIFT Lite seems to be one of the more permissive AAA MMO trials, especially considering it isn't timed. The restrictions are mostly there to ensure that Lite won't become a haven for professional goldspammers; if you can't talk in General or Trade, you can't repeatedly hawk gold buying ads etc. If you can't sell on the Auction house, you can't use trials to "launder" in-game currency etc... tc.)

Last edited:
I'll give the free level a try first then, thanks for that. No time pressure that way as well :p

Is there a website/resource/forum with some reading material for basics like class descriptions/roles? Or is the actual official information actually fairly accurate?

I'll give the free level a try first then, thanks for that. No time pressure that way as well :p

Is there a website/resource/forum with some reading material for basics like class descriptions/roles? Or is the actual official information actually fairly accurate?

The official forums are quite helpful and have links to everything you'd need, pretty much. The actual info on the homepage is plenty accurate as well.

In patch 1.7, they recently released an in-game "automatic" class/talent setup if you so choose. Basically, they took some of the best soul combinations as voted upon by the community, along with skills points in those souls' trees, and allowed a player at the beginning of their journey (or respecialization) to take one of those pre-defined setups or "purposes", so they can basically level up assured they are going to have a viable character without having to make any choices about which souls to choose or points in skill trees. Note this is completely and totally optional and at a later time you can decide to go with other souls or respect your tree etc... or you can take multiple purposes once you unlock "multi-spec" slots (ie. a template Purpose for DPS as you level, and then once you unlock a slot, you could take a Purpose for Tanking or Healing all on the same character... or any combination of Purpose specs and Custom specs in the slots you have available).

Here are a couple of great 3rd party sites to get you started as well (many of these are linked direct from Rift's homepage on their fansites area)

http://www.riftjunkies.com/ - one of the older "blog style" fan sites with lots of neat content, a podcast, and other stuff
http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Rift_Wiki - Telarapedia is the "WoWWiki" equivalent for RIFT, with tons of content.
http://www.curse.com - A multi-MMO site network, Curse is one of the more popular places to host RIFT player-created UI Modifications and Addons
http://www.magelo.com - one of the eldest "Profile" sites in existence, going back to EverQuest, Magelo has a lot of "profile/signature" generator tools, character planning, and game information for EQ, WoW, RIFT, and now SWTOR.
http://www.tentonhammer.com - One of the few "independent" MMO journalism sites, it isn't RIFT specific but has a lot of good info regardless.
http://www.riftui.com/addons.php - RiftUI is part of the ZAM/MMOUI network (ie. WoWInterface). Another good place to pick up mods.

Last edited:
Anyone still playing this? And on what server(s)/faction(s)? I plan on picking it back up when I get back from deployment... a month and a half to do nothing but party, video game, and sleep :)

I have a 50 Cleric and 45ish Warrior on Seastone... I think. Don't remember which faction though, whatever one has Sanctum or w/e as the city.

That's Guardian, slaynish :). I may be going back to play this for awhile, I've logged in a few times since posting and am giving it thought.

I'm on Guardian/Wolfsbane myself. I'm just not so sure I am going to enjoy it on the whole enough unless I go into an obscene-number-of-hours raiding guild (which requires too much time at 25+ hours a week in addition to actually playing the game otherwise), unless I can find one that gets the stuff done but doesn't require that much time. I was in a top 10 US guild as a dps'ing Mage but I just don't have the amount of time needed to maintain that kind of raiding, at this point.

I'd love to polish off Akylios (I had gotten to Stage 3 of him a bunch of times, they waxed him off I think the week after I stepped off), and see Infernal Dawn (the next 20-man) plus raid through Rise of the Phoenix (the already-in-game T2 10-man).

I'm still unsure about whether the PVP is really enough to satiate me in Rift, though they're talking about objectives in the open world with faction bonuses, which would help a lot. However, The Secret World has me interested... 3-faction game with RVR areas + a really slick-looking skill system and a good focus on both pve and pvp. On the other hand, it's being done by Funcom, and it's really flown under the radar in terms of hype, making me wonder if it'll even take off and maintain a good subscriber-base like Rift has.

GT - I'm extremely wary of anything done by Funcom. I originally was applying for The Secret World beta etc.. and keeping involved just to give them a chance, but the point at which they started requiring Facebook to better (ie. is the only real way to have) your chance to access beta, I really started seeing the Funcom curse reappear. As much as I enjoyed Anarchy Online back in the day, I do wish they would improve without making such ghastly foul-ups along the way. Conan could have been absolutely awesome; the second coming of "Shadowbane" in an excellent setting, but they managed to screw up both the PVP and PVE. Still, I'll see how TSW goes if for no other reason that I really, really want to see how Dreamfall/TheLongestJourney continues!

That said, I'm under the impression that the new PVP overhaul could be really cool. As far as raiding goes, there are quite a few guilds on Faeblight, the RP server, that raid without having huge investments in raiding time, so I know there have to be offers elsewhere. I'm basically starting from the beginning with my characters thanks to a relative mistakenly deleting my mains, unknowingly...so it has been a long time since I've been able to raid and thus I'm unable to just point at helpful guilds or anything.

Anyone out there currently 1) Interested in playing but have not created an account yet or 2) on RIFT Lite but have not applied a retail key, let me know as I provide you some extra items and save you some cash! With my Recruitment Acension keys you'll get a unique Title (The Chosen) an XP boost, and a big Ascended Treasure chest when you go retail. I'm also selling retail keys for $25 that include Ashes of History Edition (Collector's Edition V2) in-game items (exclusive spider mount, fancy tabard, and personal banker you can summon at any time), likely some other bonus items (backpack, consumables, possibly Steam-specific special items and more), and a free month of play - note you have to buy the key from me (Ie. Paypal me and I'll send you the game/key on Steam etc..) to get the extra stuff cheaply; upgrading direct from Trion will not give you the free month of play or some of the other extras.

I can access the Riftgame.com forums, but not the actual website.. weird filters lol

When I come back I will probably not be switching servers, and from what I read Faeblight is extremely overpopulated. If I do switch servers it will be to Briarcliff, and I'll (most likely) be focused on PVP. I was in the process of getting my Cleric raid-ready (I quit during GSB, had to deploy), but once I realized I would pretty much be forced to a Healing role I said screw that and started leveling my warrior with Ciderhelm's guide. I got to 45 or whatever he is at within 2 weeks of playing 2-3 hours a day. I have always played MMO's mainly as a PVE game, never really been into PVP except WoW Vanilla.. spent months grinding out GM on a Warrior. So now that they've revamped the PVP system in Rift I'll be focusing on that. I've had way more than my share of PVE... was a raid leader/main tank for my WoW Vanilla guild that had server firsts from Ragnaros all the way to Kel'Thuzad. Going to try my hand at leading/being a part of a successful PVP group now. I'll be playing again in roughly 10-12 days (when I get back to the US), if anyone is interested in joining me for some PVP fun or just Rift companionship (I talk alot when I'm not in a party/raid/warzone) then let me know and we'll get something going. And unless LOCO/Bravo change their minds, I will be taking over the CS Div Leader role for Hard once I get back, so I'll be splitting my time up between the 2.

That's Guardian, slaynish :). I may be going back to play this for awhile, I've logged in a few times since posting and am giving it thought.

I'm on Guardian/Wolfsbane myself. I'm just not so sure I am going to enjoy it on the whole enough unless I go into an obscene-number-of-hours raiding guild (which requires too much time at 25+ hours a week in addition to actually playing the game otherwise), unless I can find one that gets the stuff done but doesn't require that much time. I was in a top 10 US guild as a dps'ing Mage but I just don't have the amount of time needed to maintain that kind of raiding, at this point.

I'd love to polish off Akylios (I had gotten to Stage 3 of him a bunch of times, they waxed him off I think the week after I stepped off), and see Infernal Dawn (the next 20-man) plus raid through Rise of the Phoenix (the already-in-game T2 10-man).

I'm still unsure about whether the PVP is really enough to satiate me in Rift, though they're talking about objectives in the open world with faction bonuses, which would help a lot. However, The Secret World has me interested... 3-faction game with RVR areas + a really slick-looking skill system and a good focus on both pve and pvp. On the other hand, it's being done by Funcom, and it's really flown under the radar in terms of hype, making me wonder if it'll even take off and maintain a good subscriber-base like Rift has.

What guild were/are you in? I'm defiant Wolfsbane in Knights of Moriken :) Our guild just hit P3 Aky and we got to him on Sunday. I know he got super nerfed these last few patches but it does feel good to get to him as a semi casual/hardcore guild (we raid 3 times a week for 3 hrs for HK, 1 night farm night, 2 nights progression vs other guilds who are 4 days a week for 4 hrs each). We used to be 2 days a week for 3 hrs and we were able to get 9/11 with just that :D

Also any wolfsbane defiant mages/clerics, we are looking to fill a few more permanent raiding spots!

What guild were/are you in? I'm defiant Wolfsbane in Knights of Moriken :) Our guild just hit P3 Aky and we got to him on Sunday. I know he got super nerfed these last few patches but it does feel good to get to him as a semi casual/hardcore guild (we raid 3 times a week for 3 hrs for HK, 1 night farm night, 2 nights progression vs other guilds who are 4 days a week for 4 hrs each). We used to be 2 days a week for 3 hrs and we were able to get 9/11 with just that :D

Also any wolfsbane defiant mages/clerics, we are looking to fill a few more permanent raiding spots!

I was in No Quarter, they downed him in mid November. :)

Can I say for instance, do the trial up to level 20 than apply the collector's edition cd-key I bought off of amazon for an extra 30 days?

They don't clearly state that anywhere that I can see, but I would think so.

Could always drop them an email or post on the forums over there. They are usually pretty good about getting back to folks it seems.

Rift is not a generic mmorpg.

Ya it is damn good in many ways. Only real thing I can ding them on is story. It is pretty boring overall. Now many people don't play MMOs for the story so not a big deal, but compare it to SWTOR and you see the difference. In Rift you level to level, in TOR you level because the story takes you through it.

However in terms of more or less everything else, Rift is excellent.

Considering selling my subscription again. It renewed a while back without my realizing (I haven't played in months) and I have 2 months remaining before it renews again. I don't really have time to play, and there are so many free to play MMOs out there (I was playing Aika Online for a while, it wasn't bad at all, heavy on the grind but fund PvP and end game) it's hard to justify the roughly $10/month for Rift. Dunno.

Back