Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

It was recently stated by Trion (was it Hartsman?) that they game is still seeing an uptrend in subscriptions. The game is far from dead.

this. their summer sale in July was a big spark for the game and it shows in the different servers I've visited recently. Still can't believe how busy some of the capital cities are on some servers.

this. their summer sale in July was a big spark for the game and it shows in the different servers I've visited recently. Still can't believe how busy some of the capital cities are on some servers.

Fanboy bullshit. This game is dead as shit. Just feels busy because with the free transfers everyone moved to a few servers.

Nothing blind and no hatred. The blind ones are the ones trying to make a claim that this game is not failing hard.

Setting aside your anecdotal evidence, where's your proof? Those of us who think that Rift is doing fine at least have a statement from Trion to go on. What do you have?

I just hit level 50 and I'm still having fun. I play on a high pop server so I do see a lot of people around. Maybe it's different on other servers.

Nothing blind and no hatred. The blind ones are the ones trying to make a claim that this game is not failing hard.

For a recently released MMO, its doing well compared to others in the past. Age of Conan etc.

WoW won't die til blizzard releases a new MMO to replace it. Thats how it will work. Diablo 3 will cut into WoW's playerbase some but guild wars 2... I don't think it really will cut into it. Guild wars 1 really didn't.

Well I bought the game during the 10$ Steam sale and played it for a month. Spent about 30 hours playing with a friend as we leveled up 2 Guardian characters, but I've decided not to resub. The main reason is that this game is about a 98% clone of Wow. Apart from random Rifts, there are no real distinguishing features. And I started ignoring Rifts after the first 30 or so when I realized it's really just a distraction from questing. The questing is another problem, although it's not really specific to this game. The first zone was okay, but by the time you are deep into the second zone, it's like the pretense of not grinding is lifted away. The quests you get are of the straightforward 'collect 12 hides' and 'kill 16 bats' variety, and there is a lot of filler junk in between. Now as I said, this is basically true for all MMOs, but Rift makes this doubly aggravating when it has you doing cross country treks across a zone just to talk to people for example. A quest says go to a town on the other side of the zone to talk to someone, you go there and that guy says something and sends you all the way back, and then when you get back another guy again sends you to that place. This literally happened a few times, and it's not amusing to say the least. Or for example there's a small camp at the foot of a castle which has a long, narrow, winding path to get to the top. At the camp you get a quest to summon an entity at the top of the castle, so you fight your way to the top, do the quest and then run down or fight your way back, and when you go to turn in the quest, it tells you to go back to the top of the castle for another quest or follow up so you're back to slowly fighting your way back to the top through respawns and then repeating the whole process again. None of this is hard but it's very tedious and what I would call poor design because it's not doing a good job of masking the grinding. I would consider this just a step above the 'go and collect 200 scraps' kind of quests.

In the end, the game is okay but it really is just another MMO. It really does copy Wow a lot though, and while it does improve certain aspects of gameplay they're not really significant enough to differentiate it. The same reasons that caused me to leave Wow behind a couple of years ago exist here as well.

Just to touch on the topic of the game having a good population, I'm not entirely convinced about that. The starting zones were reasonably populated sure, but that's where all new players funnel in. I was playing on what was listed as a full/high population server and I think their definition of high population is different from Wow because I don't think there were all that many people around. I'd guess I never saw more than 50 people in the entirety of Sanctum at once, whereas in Wow you can see 50 people just hanging outside the AH in Orgrimmar. Even the auction house seemed to be a bit dry.. I looked around for a lot of items and there were only a handful of people listing for any particular item, if at all. Basic stuff like ores and metals were completely missing from there at times. I don't know, if you asked me, I would have said that this 'high' population server was actually a low-medium one. I'm not sure how the game is doing overall but if this is high, then I don't think it's thriving like they would want you to believe.

Hopfully they dont open more servers with this recent population explosion. Seems good now

this game has a MUCH lower population than AOC does right now so whoever made that comparison good job on staying current.

I have no clue what RIFT's pop currently stands at, but I literally just started a free account and logged into my level 80 ToS, and it's a fucking Ghost Town on there. Double checked the AoC message boards and they're dead as well.

So I have my doubts that any currently running MMORPG that doesnt have a free to play system, has a lower population than AoC right now.

But again, I could be dead wrong.

Just a reminder...disagreeing with others, saying negative things about games, expressing your personal on-topic opinions, etc...is all fair game in this forum provided you do so without being inflammatory. If you can't make your point in a respectful adult manner, kindly do not post. I'll be watching this thread very closely for the next bit, if you would like some time off of the forums, feel free to ignore what I just wrote and I will see that you're accommodated.

Last edited:
45-50 is a little grindy so far but it's so easy/fast to get a group for a dungeon with the new cross shard lfg system.

45-50 is a little grindy so far but it's so easy/fast to get a group for a dungeon with the new cross shard lfg system.

I ended up at around 49 before my quests for my Mage ran out, and 50 with quests to spare on a Cleric (Guardian for both). I have always heard of people saying they ended up at various points though, guessing it depends on how much you dodge mobs and if you do any PVP or dungeons (I did no dungeons on my Mage while leveling, but the Cleric did several).

I've been dabbling a bit in the game again and am enjoying it... tried the new Warfront coming on the PTS called Library of the Runemasters and love that one, I wish all the warfronts were as fun as it. Supposedly from gamescom info by the end of the year (starting with a late Sep/beginning of Oct 1.5 patch) they're adding a lot of stuff such as a few new open-world zones (one of which is rumored to be the RVR area), new 10-man raids/slivers, another new 20-man I think in 1.6 or 1.7, a bunch of 1-3 player Chronicle instances, new 5-man dungeons, Master mode for 5-mans (high difficulty versions of Experts), new Raid Rifts, a big new Alternate Advancement system for post-50 with six speccable trees, more world events, add-on support (coming in 1.5), more Warfronts (beyond the 2 already added in 1.4 and 1.5) etc.

Someone on the officials posted this (Artorous) list of what we'll have had from launch/headstart at the end of Feb., by the time the new year hits:

Artorous on the official Rift forums said:
People are just never happy no matter what you do.

Within a year of the gaming release we will have had:
•4 new 10 Man instances (possibly more)
•2 new 20 Man instances (possibly more)
•Master Mode for 5 Mans
•New 5 Mans
•Chronicle instances for 1-3 players
•2 entirely new Zones (possibly more)
•Multiple new Raid Rifts
•An AA system
•2 new Warfronts (or 1.5 if you want to not really count the new WfS as a new one) (possibly more)
•PvP Rifts
•Wardrobe System
•Multiple World Events
•Addition of Addons

And none of this is an expansion. But people will still ***** and moan that there isn't enough to do!

They also already have added new Prestige Ranks (PVP), and item sets to the game in general including Synergy Crystals, lots of new crafting recipes, etc. etc.

I'm thinking of finding a guild again and settling into Rift... looks like a lot of stuff already added and coming, both PVE and PVP. I always liked the game itself but felt there wasn't enough stuff to the game yet... pretty sure that is already remedied enough between PVP rifts (which people are doing on Wolfsbane pretty regularly it seems, a PVE server) + new warfronts + 10-man raids + new 20-man raids + AA system + Chronicles + master mode 5-mans, and all that jazz. From what I see and have experienced myself, Trion does have the chops to make good content, and the game is healthy on population by all accounts of people I've asked in-game and out :D.

There is nothing in that post saying rift has grown since launch.

Uhm yes it does say they've increased their overall playerbase.

From RIFT Game Dev...We've added headcount since launching and every day we work to make the game better. That's a lot of subscription money getting re-invested right back into the game.

Either way, I must say the servers almost seem crowded after the free transfers. During launch with so many servers, you would have like 20 people in the cities, maybe. After the free transfers and reduction of servers, even in the middle of the day, there are typically more than 100 people in the cities, and during peak play times, its several hundred, (on Alsbeth anyway). With the cross shard LFG tool, as a single dps, I typically only wait about 10 minutes to get a group, (although some really suck). And we have a newb guild to help new players get started, and it helps teach them so they can some day get into the raid guild, and I must say, we get new players all of the time, pretty much daily. IMO, I think they may have to reopen a server or two and let people spread out.

Either way, I must say the servers almost seem crowded after the free transfers. During launch with so many servers, you would have like 20 people in the cities, maybe. After the free transfers and reduction of servers, even in the middle of the day, there are typically more than 100 people in the cities, and during peak play times, its several hundred, (on Alsbeth anyway). With the cross shard LFG tool, as a single dps, I typically only wait about 10 minutes to get a group, (although some really suck). And we have a newb guild to help new players get started, and it helps teach them so they can some day get into the raid guild, and I must say, we get new players all of the time, pretty much daily. IMO, I think they may have to reopen a server or two and let people spread out.

On wolfsbane guardian it is packed... even mid level zones seem to have lots, while cap level ones are bursting at the seams. They did up server capacities when adding the xfers, so I do think they're growing.

As for the headcount quote, you're right it seems a bit unknown as to what it referred to... the thread was about pop but the quote wasn't.

I started Rift when it was released, and then had to stop after a week due to class. A few weeks ago I picked back up where I left off, and on Sunrest (defiant) the community seems to be rather robust. Not once have I felt any sense of desolation, quite the opposite.

Now yes, Rift is an MMO, like most others, and it does have the regular "do this, get this" type of mechanic that seems to be tiring to some; however, if I were to play an MMO it would certainly be Rift. It is very well polished, and a fun game overall (to me at least).

I think by this time, we can chalk Rift up as a "successful" MMO. The community doesn't seem to be wavering, and droves seem to still be interested and full of anticipation.

IMO, I think they may have to reopen a server or two and let people spread out.
Your opinion is the exact opposite of the publisher's opinion who provided free transfers because the population on many servers was just too low. If the game is healthy you charge people for transfers, you don't give them away for free.

As for the headcount quote, you're right it seems a bit unknown as to what it referred to... the thread was about pop but the quote wasn't.

Theres nothing unknown or vague unless you entirely ignore the second sentence.

The thread was NOT about pop and neither was that post. The thread was about the upcoming patch and the post was about how they are adding staff and reinvesting the sub money to do it.

Theres nothing unknown or vague unless you entirely ignore the second sentence.

The thread was NOT about pop and neither was that post. The thread was about the upcoming patch and the post was about how they are adding staff and reinvesting the sub money to do it.

Generally, companies don't add staff if they aren't making money though and MMO's that tend to stagnate generally don't get enough money coming in to add staff. I guess through a very loose interpertation Rift can be assumed to be making progress and adding subscriptions since their adding staff to handle additional content and services.

Generally, companies don't add staff if they aren't making money though and MMO's that tend to stagnate generally don't get enough money coming in to add staff. I guess through a very loose interpertation Rift can be assumed to be making progress and adding subscriptions since their adding staff to handle additional content and services.

Or they are adding staff to improve the game to GAIN subscriptions...

Read into it how you guys want but nothing in that posts even remotely suggests subs are increasing certainly not the absurd notion that subs are higher than launch.

EQ1 is still releasing expansions and making money.

If the game is healthy you charge people for transfers, you don't give them away for free.

that's Blizzards model.

there's other models that are successful too and keep their player base happy. 6 months out you don't want to piss off your player base even if you can make a few extra $$$. they are thinking long term

Your opinion is the exact opposite of the publisher's opinion who provided free transfers because the population on many servers was just too low. If the game is healthy you charge people for transfers, you don't give them away for free.

They upped server caps then offered transfers. I don't think it was a sign of anything but them adding some trial servers and letting people move together for now.

P.S. Companies don't add tons of staff and retain all the developers on an MMO if it's failing... they downsize and go into maintenance mode ;).

Im liking the new patch so far.

My character is Ziontrain on Dayblind server. Guild is Provocation. Hit Rank 8 PvP last week and got 4 bosses in HK down. Anyone else in a progression guild?

P.S. Companies don't add tons of staff and retain all the developers on an MMO if it's failing... they downsize and go into maintenance mode ;).

Thats actually exactly what a company does when they had initial success and want to regain it. ;)

If Apple started failing in the mobile market they would hire one a ton of engineers and designers and fight for that lost market share, they wouldnt start firing off people and downsizing.

I transferred from my old guild and server in Rift, causing my buddies to think I had quit the game. I was kinda ticked at someone so I didn't give advance notice. They were in shock and awe saying that the servers were dying; yadda yadda yadda. I logged in on an alt and said hi to a couple guys and now they are like everything is fine and the servers are healthy. Perception of your own situation comes into play for most people when it comes to things like this.

There was another post saying that they had added more accounts, but I couldn't remember where I read it if you'll paid me a million to find it. I take those things with a grain of salt as they haven't given out exact numbers yet as far as I can tell. Plus adding more accounts doesn't state how many accounts from launch are still active.

The servers have lots of people on them to do things with so it's all good. And that's what counts in the end.

I transferred from my old guild and server in Rift, causing my buddies to think I had quit the game. I was kinda ticked at someone so I didn't give advance notice. They were in shock and awe saying that the servers were dying; yadda yadda yadda. I logged in on an alt and said hi to a couple guys and now they are like everything is fine and the servers are healthy. Perception of your own situation comes into play for most people when it comes to things like this.

There was another post saying that they had added more accounts, but I couldn't remember where I read it if you'll paid me a million to find it. I take those things with a grain of salt as they haven't given out exact numbers yet as far as I can tell. Plus adding more accounts doesn't state how many accounts from launch are still active.

The servers have lots of people on them to do things with so it's all good. And that's what counts in the end.

I actually read the same thing, but I'll be damned if I know where (that subs were growing still). You're right about localized perception playing into how people think a game is doing, too.

Im liking the new patch so far.

My character is Ziontrain on Dayblind server. Guild is Provocation. Hit Rank 8 PvP last week and got 4 bosses in HK down. Anyone else in a progression guild?

I'm in a guild that's working their way through progressing the 10-man raid dungeons still, but looking to move to farming through GSB/RoS soon. We'll probably be a bit behind the curve for a few as it's a newer guild, but it seems to be a pretty solid group of people thus far. I'm dying to see Hammerknell :p but I can only reach around 285 focus with my current gear anyway... need to get a few more things before I could hit the 320 level needed. Still, I'm having fun again and am working on a Rogue (which I just had made + bought 3x Deathbringer for) that I'll be pumping up to 50 during this half-birthday event :D.

I'm in a guild that's working their way through progressing the 10-man raid dungeons still, but looking to move to farming through GSB/RoS soon. We'll probably be a bit behind the curve for a few as it's a newer guild, but it seems to be a pretty solid group of people thus far. I'm dying to see Hammerknell :p but I can only reach around 285 focus with my current gear anyway... need to get a few more things before I could hit the 320 level needed. Still, I'm having fun again and am working on a Rogue (which I just had made + bought 3x Deathbringer for) that I'll be pumping up to 50 during this half-birthday event :D.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. If you need any strats on any GSB/RoS bosses pm me. We can pretty much farm both of them in 2.5-3 hours. They are alot of fun.

I went from 1200 sp unbuffed pre 1.4 patch to pushing 1800 sp now.

Awesome. If you need any strats on any GSB/RoS bosses pm me. We can pretty much farm both of them in 2.5-3 hours. They are alot of fun.

I went from 1200 sp unbuffed pre 1.4 patch to pushing 1800 sp now.

Thanks :)... and quite nice stat! I've personally done Duke and Johlen (well, we got him to 2-3% a bunch of times haha) with the last guild I had been in... I have a feeling the guild I joined is going to be moving there in a few weeks, hopefully then we can start progressing nicely.

Back