Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

I just got into this game over the weekend. Seems decent so far. Lots of familiar aspects as WoW and it's easy to get into being a WoW veteran but a different feel that's fresh and interesting again.

I don't know if this has been asked already, but are there "preferred" or basically required souls to combine to be effective or useful at max level? For instance, if I pick (which I did cause it sounded interesting) Pyromancer/Elementalist/Warlock, how do you know if that's going to be worth a damn later on? I understand that it's easy to switch, but I don't want to waste my time with a build that's not viable later.

I just got into this game over the weekend. Seems decent so far. Lots of familiar aspects as WoW and it's easy to get into being a WoW veteran but a different feel that's fresh and interesting again.

I don't know if this has been asked already, but are there "preferred" or basically required souls to combine to be effective or useful at max level? For instance, if I pick (which I did cause it sounded interesting) Pyromancer/Elementalist/Warlock, how do you know if that's going to be worth a damn later on? I understand that it's easy to switch, but I don't want to waste my time with a build that's not viable later.

You can either head over to the official class forums or in-game Trion tell you what souls work best together throughout the newbie advancement as you are learning new souls.

Really don't worry about that at all. At level 13 you can get quests to get the other souls. You get the quest, go and seal a rift, get the soul, repeat. You'll have all 8 souls in no time. You can buy up to 4 specs too so you'll have plenty of ready options.

The reason not to worry is that what you'll use for leveling/soloing isn't necessarily the same thing as for instances. Like on my cleric I use Inquisitor/Cabalist/Warden for leveling. The build is set up mostly for DoT damage, with the ability to cast some HoTs. Lets me kill monsters easy, and keep going. Ideal for soloing, not the best for instances.

Also a lot of what you choose depends on what you want to do. In the case of a mage you've got some DPS souls, some support souls, and one healy soul. So which ones you use will depend on what you want to do. Like Archon is a very powerful support soul, can really enhance your group, but you wouldn't want to be primarily an Archon for soloing, it just doesn't bring the hurt well enough. However you also wouldn't want to be an Archon primarily for DPS in an instance.

So find what works for you in terms of leveling, and don't be afraid to redo it if you find something is lacking and you see another soul that'd work better. Get a second spec (it is real cheap for a second one) for instances, and a third later for a different kind of instance spec.

You can either head over to the official class forums or in-game Trion tell you what souls work best together throughout the newbie advancement as you are learning new souls.

What I'm asking is if I'm going to have to combo souls a certain way for my mage to play as a raider or pvper or else be undesirable or ineffective. I'm not asking for specific advice on combos.

Really don't worry about that at all. At level 13 you can get quests to get the other souls. You get the quest, go and seal a rift, get the soul, repeat. You'll have all 8 souls in no time. You can buy up to 4 specs too so you'll have plenty of ready options.

The reason not to worry is that what you'll use for leveling/soloing isn't necessarily the same thing as for instances. Like on my cleric I use Inquisitor/Cabalist/Warden for leveling. The build is set up mostly for DoT damage, with the ability to cast some HoTs. Lets me kill monsters easy, and keep going. Ideal for soloing, not the best for instances.

Also a lot of what you choose depends on what you want to do. In the case of a mage you've got some DPS souls, some support souls, and one healy soul. So which ones you use will depend on what you want to do. Like Archon is a very powerful support soul, can really enhance your group, but you wouldn't want to be primarily an Archon for soloing, it just doesn't bring the hurt well enough. However you also wouldn't want to be an Archon primarily for DPS in an instance.

So find what works for you in terms of leveling, and don't be afraid to redo it if you find something is lacking and you see another soul that'd work better. Get a second spec (it is real cheap for a second one) for instances, and a third later for a different kind of instance spec.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. So it's basically like WoW in this regard... with about 20 extra buttons to press... hmmm.

What I'm asking is if I'm going to have to combo souls a certain way for my mage to play as a raider or pvper or else be undesirable or ineffective. I'm not asking for specific advice on combos.

For the mage, there will likely be two or three popular raid specs. The 3 I see:
1. A Chloro/Archon based spec'd for off healing, decent dps, and nice buffs.
2. Pyro based for single target PEW PEW PEW
3. Necro/warlock based pew pew spec.

I bet the Chloro/Archon spec will be most popular Raid mage spec. But right now people are still learning it all. Best bet, play what you like, and get all the souls and buy all the soul slots and have 4 builds. A pvp, a heal/support, a dps, a solo farming build.

Some souls have much more synergy with each other than others. For example, Necro/Lock is the best solo PvE combo, Chloro/Lock is the best expert off heals, and certain Pyro builds have arguably the best DPS in dungeons and PvP.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. So it's basically like WoW in this regard... with about 20 extra buttons to press... hmmm.

Creating just a couple macros would save you a lot of space on your hotbars. On my rogue I use 3 macros for most of my DPS when running experts.

Healing Mage:
Chloro/Lock is a great combo. To be effective, Chloro really needs the damage boost from Warlock to mazimize off-heals.

PvP Mage:
Pyro is the best for single target PvP damage. Sit in your Ground of Strength, and just burst damage targets so they go *puff*! A third soul with a zero point Dominator (for the hex), and you're good to go. The other option is to main a Dominator for the crowd control, but right now I think damage is a higher sought after trait than crowd control.

PvE Mage:
There are several options for this. Elementalist is good for the pet, and can be combined with Pyro or Stormcaller for the damage.

Stormcaller/Elem build, which does massive AOE damage. This is a great build to deal with Rifts, Invasions and trash mobs in dungeons. It's single target damage is lower than the Necro/Lock classes, and suffers from not having a lot of buffs.

Other would be a Necro/Lock combo, which is one of the best single-point damage out there for dungeons/bosses. In the expert dungeons, many mages switch to this for the bosses.

Raids:
Pure Archons (need the entire Archon tree) are good when there are no Bards around for the buffs. Raid Archon example build. This build will suffer from lower DPS, but Archons sacrifice their own combat effectiveness to make everybody else better.

Their is no need to have more than 1 Archon/Chloro in a raid. Just like you only have 1 Bard in the raid. Archon/Chloro is the way to go, sustainable dps and good off heals. The problem with playing a mage is right now they are TOP DPS in raids and dungeons. If you choose to play a spec that is not as desirable then don't look to be on the front lines and be a main raider. All of the fights in greenscale have ENRAGE timers so your dps needs to be top. If your not pulling more than 550-600 dps you won't get through much of it.

Saying you can only use one bard in a raid is shortsighted and indicates that you do not know the mechanics of the class. I think you understand that the motifs/anthems/fanfares do not stack. That is true. However there are a handfull of usefull anthems and fanfares that a bard can only use 1 each at a time. Add a second bard and you now have increased the buff potential of everyone in the raid. Motifs do not stack but there are 5 of them that need to be kept up every 30 seconds. If the bards collaborate and split up their rotations then that leaves more time for dps which is healing everyone in the raid. Another major point is that bard heals stack. Yes it is fairly low, (I think my t2 geared bard was hitting with cadence for ~150) but extra heals is never a bad thing when many of the game mechanics become obsolete with overhealing.

I have never messed with the archon spec, so I do not know what happens when there are more than one, but i can gaurantee that 2 bards are better than one. A case could also be made for 3 bards depending on the spec of everyone else in the raid if a certain buff is needed.

I didn't mean it as you CAN'T run more than 1 bard, but unless ALL of your dps are geared from everything out of T2's then the overall DPS output is going to be low. Take the 2nd boss for example Infiltrator Johlen he has an 8 minute enrage timer. You dps him down 24% then he spawns a bomb at his feet with 70k hp and lasts for 25seconds that you must dps down or it wipes the raid. If you don't have the dps for the fight you'll spend all night wiping. Running more than 1 bard in the raid gimps your overall dps. We run 2clerics 1bard and an archon/chloro and still don't have the dps to get the bombs down.

Yes Bards are usefull and have great potential to support the raid, but at this point with all the nerfs that happened sacrificing DPS for buffs currently is not viable.

I haven't run many raids, but all the research I've done (Including my character, and running a mage through experts) -- if you wanna go Archon you should really go 51 points, and only 1 per raid.

The 51 point Archon ability is uber -- 10% haste for all melee and spell for the raid. It pretty sweet.

Archon/Chloro is a good combo for support role in 5 mans, but it won't solo heal an instance. In a raid environment, there will probably be a 51 point archon who will supersede you 100%.

I have 3 specs for grouping.

Chloro/Warlock is what I'm running for heals, and it solo heals expert (T1's so far) just fine.
51 point archon is what I run for buffs, its dps isn't bad at all, its pretty good really, and all the group buffs are just insane.
Pyro/Dominator is what i use when I'm just there to dps. I like dominator, and wish it had a little bit more utility. Dominator seems to be more pvp focused - Its top tier ability AND its 51 point ability are BOTH pvp only, which sucks.

I'll update this post later with links to my builds, they are saved as favorites on my home PC.

I didn't mean it as you CAN'T run more than 1 bard, but unless ALL of your dps are geared from everything out of T2's then the overall DPS output is going to be low. Take the 2nd boss for example Infiltrator Johlen he has an 8 minute enrage timer. You dps him down 24% then he spawns a bomb at his feet with 70k hp and lasts for 25seconds that you must dps down or it wipes the raid. If you don't have the dps for the fight you'll spend all night wiping. Running more than 1 bard in the raid gimps your overall dps. We run 2clerics 1bard and an archon/chloro and still don't have the dps to get the bombs down.

Yes Bards are usefull and have great potential to support the raid, but at this point with all the nerfs that happened sacrificing DPS for buffs currently is not viable.

70k? No... it's 270k. That is only 10.8k raid DPS needed...

The only hard part of johlen is the final 25%, we kill the bombs with 5-6 seconds remaining. It's not much of a DPS check...

If you can't kill the bombs with time remaining, then you need to take a hard look at parses and kick the people massively underachieving. It also helps to kick any baddies that are dying before the final 25%

Anyone having a problem with Dueling? For some reason neither I nor my friend can duel. We click accept but nothing happens. Even when we click cancel it doesn't say we cancelled, just timed out.

Uh, this River of Souls World Event was a huge letdown. The constant disconnects by everyone while killing the bosses in the zone, followed by Phase 3, which was like getting blue balls. Get all excited, only to be let down.

Anyone having a problem with Dueling? For some reason neither I nor my friend can duel. We click accept but nothing happens. Even when we click cancel it doesn't say we cancelled, just timed out.

Same problem here.

Yeah and with that letdown, I am done with this game. The endgame I was already bored of, but figured I would see how the events were. After seeing the lack of an event, I figure I am done with the game.

Yeah and with that letdown, I am done with this game. The endgame I was already bored of, but figured I would see how the events were. After seeing the lack of an event, I figure I am done with the game.

You'll be back :p

Nah probably not. It has pretty much scratched the MMO itch I had. I wasn't playing any other MMO at the time.

I have never enjoyed endgame and instead always enjoyed leveling alts. While I like the soul system, it really takes away any reason to level alts. This combined with such limited leveling content, I have little interest in even leveling my own existing alts. I also skipped most of the dungeons since I couldn't find groups so never even stepped foot in anything past FC. Achievements in any game have never done anything for me so collecting artifacts and hunting for achievements holds little interest for me.

I am not a PVPer but was hoping I would enjoy Port Scion. Unfortunately it is nothing like I thought it would be. I got the impression there would be all sorts of quests almost like it was an additional zone rather than a tiny map where you try to fetch the stones.

I will probably just take a break from gaming and catch up on all the TV and movies I missed while playing.

I think the only thing I would come back for was new quest zones and souls.

Just cancelled my sub as well. Not that its a bad game but i just think the whole sub genre of action key based fantasy MMO is overdone and tired. Wow has bored me to tears and this ended up boring me as well.

Good game overall for sure. For those that still want the playstyle like wow but dont want to play wow anymore i would say this is the first stop they should make.

If the community stays lively enough i will probably check it out again this fall when things start to get boring outside again.

Can someone please help me out? I have gotten the basic gist of the game but I'm having trouble with what jobs to choose for my cleric. I already have foraging and the one where you collect raw hides but I'm unsure what else to get and exactly or if I should unlearn those for something else and how, once I choose them, how I know what I can make/use.

The first zone after you get out of the training missions will have nothing but gathering skills to choose from. Around level 10 the game will send you to a new zone and they will have trade skills such as armorsmith, weaponsmith, apothecary, outfitter, runemaster, etc. These will suggest certain gathering skills to compliment them so you can gather materials to make gear, potions, enchants, etc.

In short, collect all you can right now since you probably picked all 3 gathering skills. Then when you get to the other trainers, you can see which gathering skills you wish to keep to compliment your manufacturing skill. The manufacturing skill trainer tells you which compliments each one.

Hope this makes sense as I have been up for 36 hours straight. :)

Oh and after you get to the capital city for your faction, all of the skill trainers will be there also. And there will be daily quests that allow you to purchase special high end patterns. These patterns can make green, blue, or epic quality gear.

Well, I'm 13 and already at Maradian or whatever it's called. But where is this manufacturing skill trainer?

Well, I'm 13 and already at Maradian or whatever it's called. But where is this manufacturing skill trainer?

Merdian has the trainers all in the crafting room, there are an initial set of trainers in the Kelathi dock town before you actually get to Merdian. You should have recieved quests to take you there.

It honestly doesn't matter what professions you choose though. The gathering professions can make you money by either selling stuff to vendors or on the Auction house. Getting a manufacturing profession such as armor or weapon crafter is time consuming and expensive, but it can be rewarding later on by making some very nice epic quality gear. It just matters at to what your preference is. many of the recipes are gained by doing daily crafting quests and hoping to get lucky snagging a crafting plaque.

I'm bored already. Its not a bad game I think Im just tired of the whole elf thing. I havent played it in about a week and im going to cancel my sub and hope swtor is good whenever it comes out. Or the secret world but that looks like it might take longer.

i bailed @ 45.... few friends at 50 said it doesnt get any better at endgame

oh well it got me out of wow and no i have no interest in MMO's

wtb Diablo 3 and maybe Dungeon Siege 3

I'm still finding it fun at level 50, but I joined a raiding guild on a pvp server. If I get tired of Warfronts, I do outdoor raids. Outdoor raids consist of boss fights that the opposite faction enjoys trying to disrupt. My tanking buddy loves to aim the bosses aoe cone at the attackers for maximum lulz in vent.

We raid Greenscale and River of Souls; but really I'm not geared enough to contribute properly yet. But they invite me anyways as it's getting warm outside and people are getting kidnapped by the beach. Most fun I had was as the official boss aoe tester in River of Souls at level 47. "Noob level 47 mage is dead again fellas; boss aoe must hit pretty decent to 1 shot him." I was elected summoning officer as it became my job to step out the instance to summon the dead people back faster. Haha.

Then there are guild groups for pvp in warfronts. Those are a lot of fun. Getting ganked on your alt because a guild group just steamrolled some sod's main in Stillmoor searching for raid rifts is fun. Especially when your alt is a healer cleric and you toast someone 5 levels higher. Just got killed twice huh guy? Lol!

Only thing I'm not enjoying is that when you're in guild groups; you can't invite others to the group as it's not allowed by the guild. Which is cool and all; but I hate seeing people coming up and not being able to participate. I mean they can contribute outside the group; but usually they don't have a healer with them so they die fast. I play a Chloromancer so I can only toss 1 person a heal every 10 secs.

Oh and last thing I'm still enjoying about the game is that theorycrafting is still alive and well post launch. And each new patch allows for more parsing and more debate. Which allows for more rotation experimentation and talent testing. Which is a nerd's dream...

But yes if I were waiting relying strictly on pugs to accomplish goals in the game then I probably would be pretty bored. Glad my buddy convinced me to reroll on a pvp server. I'd take the chance on getting ganked over staring at grinding the same mob with no chance at death ever.

I'm still finding it fun at level 50, but I joined a raiding guild on a pvp server. If I get tired of Warfronts, I do outdoor raids. Outdoor raids consist of boss fights that the opposite faction enjoys trying to disrupt. My tanking buddy loves to aim the bosses aoe cone at the attackers for maximum lulz in vent.

We raid Greenscale and River of Souls; but really I'm not geared enough to contribute properly yet. But they invite me anyways as it's getting warm outside and people are getting kidnapped by the beach. Most fun I had was as the official boss aoe tester in River of Souls at level 47. "Noob level 47 mage is dead again fellas; boss aoe must hit pretty decent to 1 shot him." I was elected summoning officer as it became my job to step out the instance to summon the dead people back faster. Haha.

Then there are guild groups for pvp in warfronts. Those are a lot of fun. Getting ganked on your alt because a guild group just steamrolled some sod's main in Stillmoor searching for raid rifts is fun. Especially when your alt is a healer cleric and you toast someone 5 levels higher. Just got killed twice huh guy? Lol!

Only thing I'm not enjoying is that when you're in guild groups; you can't invite others to the group as it's not allowed by the guild. Which is cool and all; but I hate seeing people coming up and not being able to participate. I mean they can contribute outside the group; but usually they don't have a healer with them so they die fast. I play a Chloromancer so I can only toss 1 person a heal every 10 secs.

Oh and last thing I'm still enjoying about the game is that theorycrafting is still alive and well post launch. And each new patch allows for more parsing and more debate. Which allows for more rotation experimentation and talent testing. Which is a nerd's dream...

But yes if I were waiting relying strictly on pugs to accomplish goals in the game then I probably would be pretty bored. Glad my buddy convinced me to reroll on a pvp server. I'd take the chance on getting ganked over staring at grinding the same mob with no chance at death ever.

Think I saw in the patch notes River of Souls is now a lvl 50 only instance.

Think I saw in the patch notes River of Souls is now a lvl 50 only instance.

Yes it is now. But the days after launch you could enter even if you weren't 50. So it was very fun to hang out and get blown up just for the laughs in vent. I'm 50 now though.

:)

Has anyone been able to successfully force anti aliasing from outside of the game? The in-game options both suck. Edge smoothing looks blurry, and SSAA is just so un-optimized and doesn't even look as good as say, 4x standard.

I've tried through NVCP on a GTX 260 and CCC on the HD6850s I have now... neither of which were able to force anti aliasing in-game. (It just didn't work)

Just switched from WoW to Rift and I have to say, I'm liking the change. I'm wolvsbane and have ~20 members already in the guild. We're looking to do endgame content if anyone is interested.

Got my mage to 50 on Greenscale (PvE) now. Eh. I didn't cancel fast enough so I'm paid up for like, 4 or 5 months at this point. I'll go back every few days, wander around, do the daily crafting quests to get my crafter coin things, talk to the guildies, maybe do a T1 expert dungeon (not good enough gear for T2s yet). I die a lot in experts, so they aren't that much fun to me. Takes forever to get though them, and I have terrible luck with drops.

Then I'll call it a day and not come back for a week. Seriously doubt I'll be renewing when this block of time is up.

I canceled my sub a while back. Game is fun but I just don't have time to commit to mmo's anymore. I thought I could make an exception but I just have way to much going on to have set play times. Oh well.

Just switched from WoW to Rift and I have to say, I'm liking the change. I'm wolvsbane and have ~20 members already in the guild. We're looking to do endgame content if anyone is interested.

I just rerolled on Wolfsbane. Joined a guild on the Guardian side and am having fun. Which faction are you? My character is named Kazoo.

I played this in Beta for a while, I don't think i got very high level (at the MOST I might have hit 20), and I have a question or two.

1. Does it ever actually "open up". After playing older MMOs, they pretty much put a huge world in front of you, and you can just kinda go wherever. If you wander off too far, you will get hit by some pretty nasty monsters, but there is nothing really stopping you. To me, this game seemed to limit exploration so that you can't get yourself into to much trouble (and I recall aion being similar), which I hate. I like huge open worlds with no restrictions.

2. Does this game have any kind of decent end game (both PvP and PvE).

Back