Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

I've been playing for a couple weeks, just hit 50 a couple days ago. I haven't ran an instance since I hit 50... I get laughed at when I say I'm a DPS warrior because of the state of warrior dps, and I don't feel like I could tank reliably with my quest gear. I feel like I picked the wrong class. ><

*gasp* Finally a new game that encourages Warriors to be tanks?

I've been playing for a couple weeks, just hit 50 a couple days ago. I haven't ran an instance since I hit 50... I get laughed at when I say I'm a DPS warrior because of the state of warrior dps, and I don't feel like I could tank reliably with my quest gear. I feel like I picked the wrong class. ><

Honestly, then you need to get a guild.

War DPS is pretty nasty, especially in the right spec. Even with the recent changes , you can still be a wrecking ball, especially in a T1 dungeon.

You should start by running CC or AP on normal mode and get some gear. You'll get everything you need to start out out of those instances.

I ran two 'Raid' things last night.

They weren't instances. One was a mob in the desert zone, a raid encounter mob. Had 20 guys in the raid, and took her down pretty well on the 2nd try. Its a weekly quest that you get 10 'Plaques of Achievement' for -- which basically are used to buy gear.

Then we went and killed Baron Krevic in Stillmoor, another weekly raid encounter that you get a nice pair of purple pants for doing the first time, and then I think just rep for subsequent kills.

Both enounters were a LOT of fun. I play a combination Chloro/Archon, which basically equates to group off-heals and lots of group buffs.

I haven't tried expert dungeons yet, but they're on my to-do list.

I ran two 'Raid' things last night.

They weren't instances. One was a mob in the desert zone, a raid encounter mob. Had 20 guys in the raid, and took her down pretty well on the 2nd try. Its a weekly quest that you get 10 'Plaques of Achievement' for -- which basically are used to buy gear.

Then we went and killed Baron Krevic in Stillmoor, another weekly raid encounter that you get a nice pair of purple pants for doing the first time, and then I think just rep for subsequent kills.

Both enounters were a LOT of fun. I play a combination Chloro/Archon, which basically equates to group off-heals and lots of group buffs.

I haven't tried expert dungeons yet, but they're on my to-do list.

Raid Rifts

If you plan on running Archon for raids, you really do need to max it out to be the most effective. Archon's are the back support - they don't really do damage or heal, but they provide everybody else in the group massive bonuses at their own expense (ex: -30 endurance for them, +20 endurance for 19 other people). I have an archon build for raids, but that's more for the T2 raids. I'm running a SC/Elem and Chloro/Lock for the expert dungeons. Massive AOE damage for the mobs, and support healing for the tough bosses.

No, I think what he was suggesting was to try some raid rifts along with doing the expert dungeons. The raid rifts are fun, but can be brutal on the first attempts while learning the encounters. I love the raiding, rifts and zones and open world bosses, but I need a new guild, as mine has pretty much gimped out...

Ahh yes. We have maybe 10 people so far in my guild that are 50, with a few more getting close. We did a joint-guild effort last night where it was half us, half from another guild.

I really wanna try those raid rifts. I don't even know how to open them!

No, I think what he was suggesting was to try some raid rifts along with doing the expert dungeons. The raid rifts are fun, but can be brutal on the first attempts while learning the encounters. I love the raiding, rifts and zones and open world bosses, but I need a new guild, as mine has pretty much gimped out...

There's no possible way he can start doing Raid Rifts. Expert Rifts, sure. But Raid Rifts require the Corrupted Souls that are mostly found from the last boss of T2's and maybe T1's but I can't remember. Plus they're incredibly difficult unless you have about 10 well geared and competent players.

In general, start with normal AP/CC then move to expert T1's once you get 50 hit/focus/toughness.

I'm an artificer, so made some gear for myself :). That, and the rings you can buy with the Stillmoor rep -- Currently sitting on 126 focus. (Which can be lowered and swapped out).

I'm an artificer, so made some gear for myself :). That, and the rings you can buy with the Stillmoor rep -- Currently sitting on 126 focus. (Which can be lowered and swapped out).

Yeah, you're geared enough then to safely do T2's. Get on it!

Been following this game since release....is it worth looking into?

How hard is it find a guild?

As has been said a few times in this massive thread, if you like(d) WoW, you will most likely like Rift. I am enjoying it. It still has a good community (ie not run over with immature adults and children).

As for finding a guild, shouldn't be hard. Many are still recruiting, and you really should try to get into one for the perks while leveling.

Game has a lot of similarities to WoW, and many differences. IMO, it's more like a GOOD EQ2 than World of Warcraft, but whateva..

Finding a guild isn't too bad. The community is pretty decent, at least on my server. Much better than WoW, tbh.

I've enjoyed my stay so far, looking forward to seeing what Trion has up their sleaves.

New patch today, one of the bigger highlights is the 100+ items added to Expert dungeons.

New patch today, one of the bigger highlights is the 100+ items added to Expert dungeons.

Wonder how the art is on the new weapons, armor. If they are just reskins, they are missing a huge ingredient on what makes the mmo crowd tick.

You should really tank, you'll get groups no problem because most of the time someone is looking for a tank. Get your tank gear and collect a secondary set of gear for DPS, the Warriors in my guild do this.

If you're having trouble getting gear, look into some of the player crafted epics.

There's no possible way he can start doing Raid Rifts. Expert Rifts, sure. But Raid Rifts require the Corrupted Souls that are mostly found from the last boss of T2's and maybe T1's but I can't remember. Plus they're incredibly difficult unless you have about 10 well geared and competent players.

In general, start with normal AP/CC then move to expert T1's once you get 50 hit/focus/toughness.

You can't do Expert Rifts either without running at least T1 instances because you need 5 Malformed Souls per rift and they only drop from the last boss in T1.

I've been playing for about a month now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Unfortunately, even though I like it I hardly ever feel like logging on and doing anything. I think going back to WoW for Cata after a 2 year hiatus and getting burnt out on it pretty well burnt me out on MMOs in general.

My real life friends are all going back to WoW so I'll probably cancel soon. :(

I've been playing for about a month now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Unfortunately, even though I like it I hardly ever feel like logging on and doing anything. I think going back to WoW for Cata after a 2 year hiatus and getting burnt out on it pretty well burnt me out on MMOs in general.

Nothing wrong with that. I've always been an advocate of "MMOs are a game, not a lifestyle." If you get bored of them you get bored of them. I know that's happened to me in the past. I like MMOs, played WoW off and on for like 6 years and played others before that, but from time to time I get tired of them. When I do, I cancel my subscription and play something else.

If you are burnt out on MMOs the thing to do is take a break. When you again say "You know, an MMO would be fun now," then go and find a new one to play, or start up an old one. Until then, there are lots of other kinds of games for you to enjoy.

Nothing wrong with that. I've always been an advocate of "MMOs are a game, not a lifestyle." If you get bored of them you get bored of them. I know that's happened to me in the past. I like MMOs, played WoW off and on for like 6 years and played others before that, but from time to time I get tired of them. When I do, I cancel my subscription and play something else.

If you are burnt out on MMOs the thing to do is take a break. When you again say "You know, an MMO would be fun now," then go and find a new one to play, or start up an old one. Until then, there are lots of other kinds of games for you to enjoy.

Well stated! Now if I could just convince my friends that I'm burnt out on MMOs then maybe I could play something else for a change with them calling, texting, instant messaging, or emailing me. :)

I think i'm done too. I'm going to cancel rift not because there's anything wrong with it, it's certainly put together well, but I think i'm just done with MMO's in general.

I'm still interested in TOR and GW2 and very interested in Planetside 2 and Tribes Universe but I think for now I just need a break.

if anyone is looking for a good guild and is over the age of 25 the guild ive been running with for years has a really good presence on wolfsbane.

the older gamers =D

if anyone is looking for a good guild and is over the age of 25 the guild ive been running with for years has a really good presence on wolfsbane.

the older gamers =D

25 is old? 25 is not old enough to call yourself an old gamer. :p

Freaking super nintendo generation. :p

*gasp* Finally a new game that encourages Warriors to be tanks?

did you actually read my post? i said i didn't feel my tanking gear was adequate enough to do so
my plan was to tank in the first place but there's so many tanks as it is and i don't know the dungeons yet, and my gear is shit so why would i even try to tank at this point with people i don't know that are going to respond with anger whenever i don't know a fight?

the older gamers =D

I've seen quite a few with that guild tag. I tend to not think of 25 as an older gamer however, since I'm over 60.

25 is old? 25 is not old enough to call yourself an old gamer. :p

Freaking super nintendo generation. :p

25 is hardly old. In fact 25 is a beginner as far as I'm concerned. I'd say true gamers are people who are over 40 and have been playing videogames since they were 10 years old.

the older gamers =D

Great, you've riled up all the old people. Hope you are happy with yourself.

I'm 36 and I've been gaming since I was 5. So I guess I'm old too? :)

did you actually read my post? i said i didn't feel my tanking gear was adequate enough to do so
my plan was to tank in the first place but there's so many tanks as it is and i don't know the dungeons yet, and my gear is shit so why would i even try to tank at this point with people i don't know that are going to respond with anger whenever i don't know a fight?

There was only a couple times I've ran dungeons with a whole group didn't know it, most of the time you'll run with someone who has and they'll be more than happy to explain it to you. Sometimes it takes a wipe to understand the mechanics, but that's part of the game.

There's also a lot of YouTube videos on dungeons that explain the fights, I've found tgnRift very helpful. As long as you have at least 50 Toughness, you'll be fine for tanking T1.

cool thanks for the link, will check it out - i take it the T1s really aren't that difficult if all i need is 50 toughness?

I was the same. I would launch it and then wonder why. Spend 30 minutes farting about aimlessly putting things up on the tradepost whilst watching TV on my other monitor, and then leave.

I don't understand the people that log in daily and grind out repeatables for reputation. There is quite honestly no incentive for me to do that.

My sub ran out on the third and I didn't feel like renewing it. Partially because my PC was broken, but also it didn't offer me anything. Took so long researching which guilds were the least full of dickheads that I just said screw it. I have more fun playing Worms Reloaded for hours on end than doing dailies.

I'm tempted to go back to AoC, in fact. That actually engaged me when it came to fights, and the beauty of the areas and variety in the quests they've put in had me levelling characters time after time with no lack of interest. I couldn't face levelling any alts in Rift. Too similar to WoW for my liking.

This is the case with every MMO, the first 40-50 levels are fine as you are building your character, seeing new areas, and looking forward to your next talent or skill. Then endgame comes, and the novelty of being the cool kid on the block playing a "leet" mmo wears off. There are no new areas to seen, talents to gain, and the massive imbalances of PvP rear their ugly head. Companies know they get their ratings from the first two weeks of of play, so they concentrate on this over the end game. It is a tried and tested formula that fails over and over.

Anyone know if there is any kind of free trial going on? I'd like to play it for a few days before I decide on getting it.

Anyone know if there is any kind of free trial going on? I'd like to play it for a few days before I decide on getting it.

They've been doing free trial weekends while the River of Souls event is going on. The codes are going out to some subscribers and (I think) certain websites. I imagine they will do it again this weekend. Around Wednesday or Thursday try asking here for a key or looking around on sites like Tentonhammer.

They aren't hard to get basic gear for, doing them is a challenge on the other hand.

This is true. Tier 1 is a challenge.

Tier 2's difficulty scales exponentially imo.

Not only do you have significant gear and skill checks, you also have what I like to call the IQ check.

Lots of mechanic based fights in tier 2, much more complex than tier 1.

This is the case with every MMO, the first 40-50 levels are fine as you are building your character, seeing new areas, and looking forward to your next talent or skill. Then endgame comes, and the novelty of being the cool kid on the block playing a "leet" mmo wears off. There are no new areas to seen, talents to gain, and the massive imbalances of PvP rear their ugly head. Companies know they get their ratings from the first two weeks of of play, so they concentrate on this over the end game. It is a tried and tested formula that fails over and over.

lol. I only made it to 32 or 33 on my main.

I started to miss the old Win98 days of reinstalling Windows every other month so I reinstalled Win7. I didn't feel like worrying about Rift so I just canceled my subscription. I have 24 or days or so left on my account so I may break down and try to get back into it. If not, maybe I'll see you guys in GW2 or TOR.

Back