Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

I didn't realize it was 'lovers of Rift' only thread. I submitted my bugs and complaints through the game and hope everyone does the same. I want the game to improve before I spend $15 a month for it. Its either this or SWTOR for me and I want others aware of things that can be fixed. Hopefully they can do the same and put it their 2 cents for the devs.
This is the problem with mmo threads. People get so personal it becomes like defending their first born. Then after a few months it gets too late because people had tunnel vision and the game misses that first initial impression opportunity. The killer of MMOs.

I never said it was a "lovers of rift" only thread but seeing all the people constantly complaining about the game gets really old. Rift is very polished for a launch MMO, that's fact. When WoW launched it was nowhere NEAR as polished as this is, if you played launch wow they had placeholder graphics for many things and each class did one spec (regardless of having three talent trees) and PvP/Raids were basically non-existent.

Yes the bar has been raised and us hardcore people with expensive computers want higher res graphics and such but the fact is you need to have appeal to the people with lower end gaming computers/laptops to increase playerbase and monthly income. Yes there seem to be some bugs with things but to me it seems like the devs are focused on working them out very quickly.

I said when I stopped playing WoW that I would never play another MMO due to the issue of being tied down to a game and having to plan life around raids to not let people down yet here I am with a pre-order for the CE of this. I'm really impressed with the public group setup and enjoy the PvP (sure there are some balance issues that need to be addressed). It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a game as much as I've enjoyed the beta of Rift so far.

I like doing whole continents without a loading screen, just taking a ride across the landscape, no one has done this except WoW.

WoW has a load of good qualities but it's 100% derivative and chances are that some element of WoW that you liked was cherry picked from an existing MMO

Just looking at your example of a continuous world: that was already a feature of a whole bunch of MMOs that released years before we had ever heard of WoW.

Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot were all pre-WoW by at least 3 years. Vanguard and LOTRO were post-WoW but one of their better features was massive, continuous environments. DAoC even has a massive PvP playground for the lvl 50's which is 13 continuous zones in size, filled with capturable towers and castles, and has fights involving hundreds of people at a time. In terms of large, open spaces it still shits on WoW and is almost 10 years old.

In fact WoW's continuous space was (and still is) mostly just zones boxed off with impassable terrain with tiny in/out bottlenecks at various places along the borders. Sure it has no loading screens which makes flight more pleasing to watch but that's about it. If you're on foot the zones function no differently from those in Everquest. Some of the MMOs I listed above really did have huge, expansive terrain with zone borders that were the entire width of the zone and naturally blended into the neighbouring zone.

I never said it was a "lovers of rift" only thread but seeing all the people constantly complaining about the game gets really old. Rift is very polished for a launch MMO, that's fact. When WoW launched it was nowhere NEAR as polished as this is, if you played launch wow they had placeholder graphics for many things and each class did one spec (regardless of having three talent trees) and PvP/Raids were basically non-existent.

Yes the bar has been raised and us hardcore people with expensive computers want higher res graphics and such but the fact is you need to have appeal to the people with lower end gaming computers/laptops to increase playerbase and monthly income. Yes there seem to be some bugs with things but to me it seems like the devs are focused on working them out very quickly.

I said when I stopped playing WoW that I would never play another MMO due to the issue of being tied down to a game and having to plan life around raids to not let people down yet here I am with a pre-order for the CE of this. I'm really impressed with the public group setup and enjoy the PvP (sure there are some balance issues that need to be addressed). It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a game as much as I've enjoyed the beta of Rift so far.

It gets old to you so don't read it? There is complaining and there is constructive criticism that developers take into heavy consideration.They read all of it. I put out my concerns in game and want to call it like I see it so others can see and hopefully voice their opinion to the devs as well. You have no argument really because how the hell do the devs know what can be improved without feedback (crazy concept for you?) Its beta and complaining and pointing out the bad is inherent to beta. Once again if you don't like it don't read it.

Beta 7 invites have started to roll out.

Watch your email!

Yup, beta 7 is fully open beta, so just sign up at the riftgame.com site and you are automatically going to get an invite. It lasts 6 days too... good for people to try it out if they have an interest :).

this is the final Beta and stress beta. By the end of the week, i'll be pre ordering my copy. I'll play this game till a better one comes out. If anyone care to join, please look me up on Gnarlwood server PVE/PVP. Vicious and Beast are my main toons :).. cya guys there!

I'm still debating whether to roll a PvP or a PvE server. I like PvP a lot, but sometime I also enjoy relaxing PvE. I'm just wondering how bad/often imbalanced ganking will take place. There are also population issues which can make the situation worse. Sigh. I also wonder if I could find enough open world PvP on a PvE server.

I'm still debating whether to roll a PvP or a PvE server. I like PvP a lot, but sometime I also enjoy relaxing PvE. I'm just wondering how bad/often imbalanced ganking will take place. There are also population issues which can make the situation worse. Sigh. I also wonder if I could find enough open world PvP on a PvE server.

They've changed up the rules on PvE servers to stop taking of quest hubs, there is simply no reason in a PvE server to flag yourself for Open PvP, even if you get a group of people together for some RvR who are all willing to flag for PvP it doesn't mean the enemy will. Faced with fighting a PvP group or doing quests, most people on a PvE server are simply not going to flag for PvP and walk straight through you unharmed.

Roll PvP, I don't think the ganking is going to be bad, the response to getting ganked has to be that you join in with some other big groups and come back with a real fight, in other words sometimes you'll have to sacrifice your PvE for some PvP whether you like it or not, but that's the whole point of PvP.

I think ganking will be less of an issue in this game than most do to the nature of the rift system.

Never underestimate your fellow humans......there will always be a small percentage of the population on the server who gets bored and decides to grief lower levels for hours on end. They used to make little games of it in all other MMOs, how long could they camp a place before everyone got tired and stopped playing there or called in friends to help them finish quests without being killed.

Hell on another forum discussing Rift, they've actually had people releasing videos about their "PVP" skills, which are full of a guy whose minimum 3 levels above his targets jumping them as they finish a fight or in a fight. One of these gankers/griefers can ruin the the play time of a couple dozen people each night. Plus unless they've changed the level 30 quests, there are PVP quests on the PVE servers....where you get flagged if you hurt specific type of NPCs...had people camping those locations to gank too.

Who knows what it'll be like in the 40+ zones on either server, at least with PVE you have a chance to avoid the griefers and not have your character stuck on a PVP server where you can't stand to play anymore.

Roll PvP. That way, when you get bored, you can just roam the lands and kill all the enemies you see. I find griefing the funnest part of a MMO. Quality human-on-human interaction.

I've rolled PvP on every MMO I've played (besides EQ as it was my first). That being said, I'm rolling PvE in Rift. There are plenty of times I just want to do something and relax and can't cause I'll get ganked otherwise. Sure the ganking can be fun, but with pvp areas already established in the game I can choose when I want to at least.

From my experience over the years, there were plenty of great moments of world pvp but so many crappy ones, cause 90% of the time you are getting jumped with a mob on you already or you just finished killing one and are weakened, or you just get gangraped by a group. I always looked for the fair fights and people just don't want that all to often.

So screw it I said, more pros then cons now to go PvE imo.

I couldn't stand to go PVE. Taking PVP away is like taking a large portion of the end game away.

I've rolled PvP on every MMO I've played (besides EQ as it was my first). That being said, I'm rolling PvE in Rift. There are plenty of times I just want to do something and relax and can't cause I'll get ganked otherwise. Sure the ganking can be fun, but with pvp areas already established in the game I can choose when I want to at least.

From my experience over the years, there were plenty of great moments of world pvp but so many crappy ones, cause 90% of the time you are getting jumped with a mob on you already or you just finished killing one and are weakened, or you just get gangraped by a group. I always looked for the fair fights and people just don't want that all to often.

I play fps shooters for pvp.
the mechanics is much more direct and usable.

rift as for me is a pve game.

never found good balance in a MMOG with pvp.
I get my blood thirst in fps shooters ;)

A lot of the more recent MMOs took away level restrictions on PVP. Used to be in Everquest you couldn't kill someone who was 8-10 levels below you...I think they monkeyed with it a bit to find a balance. But I know they had a level limit on who you could pick a fight with..although they were free to attempt to attack you..at which point you could kill them. Of course corpse runs in that game were much worse than the newer MMOs now, and you had to loot and equip yourself...so corpse camping was even easier since you were naked until you looted your body during the whole run.

But since then, the only game with a shred of hope to implement PVP in a PVE game was DAOC without using instanced battlegrounds. And I have to say I think you need 3 sides in PVP to keep it from being a complete steamroll for one side or the other on any server. There's always a dominate side on each PVP server because people get tired of losing all the time and flip sides or roll on a server where the side they want to play is dominating.

Hopefully the Rift system can be used to balance out PvP, by spawning mobs into territories which the dominant power is in control of, you give the bigger side more to fight at once and thin their numbers.

Especially late game where you get raid level rift invasions which require full spec out level 50's to deal with the threats, that's a good distraction to give the underdogs a temporary advantage. You're right though, PvP works better with 3+ factions, Planetside was really good for this, I can't wait for PS2.

I notice some audio sliders that weren't there. Hope they decided to up the sound quality on some of the abilities while they are at it.

My friend is really into this game. I might wait a bit before diving into it. The beta was fun, but its something I don't "have" to play right away.

My wife and I both enjoy this game. We both agree that this weeks beta will help us decide if we're going to purchase it or not. The only thing that is roadblocking us from a preorder is the monthly subscription fee. Don't know if it's worth around $30 a month for both of us to play.

would anyone know why my 4870x2 would run at 100% utilization in this game. it doesnt do it for the first 2 quests, after i get half way through the starting area, it shoots up to 100% and doesnt let off at all while im in game.

it did this with 2 4870x2's in crossfire, single 4870x2, native res of 2550x1440, lowered res to 1680x1050 and also changed my details from ultra to low and it still does it. the only way to stop it is to run in window mode, but my fps goes to the shitter

anyone know of a reason this would happen?

So your question is why my graphics card is utilized to 100% in the game? Why would you want to stop it? It sounds like it is working like it is suppoed to.

ive never seen a game that has pegged my gpu utilization at 100%. my fan spools up crazy loud, the card produces a shit ton of heat and my room temp raises like crazy.

i dont think this is right, as i mentioned it didnt do it for the first 2-3 quests in the game. once i hit the 3rd or 4th quest my GPU usage went through the roof

im not comfortable running my GPU 100% for a 4-5 hr session, thats just asking for the card to die.

edit: also it would be fine if the usage dropped as i reduced the resolution and settings, but i mean on low settings @ 1680x1050 you are telling me its working as intended if the gpu is at 100%.

ive never seen a game that has pegged my gpu utilization at 100%. my fan spools up crazy loud, the card produces a shit ton of heat and my room temp raises like crazy.

i dont think this is right, as i mentioned it didnt do it for the first 2-3 quests in the game. once i hit the 3rd or 4th quest my GPU usage went through the roof

im not comfortable running my GPU 100% for a 4-5 hr session, thats just asking for the card to die.

I'm sure your card would be fine. Maybe, just maybe the game is utilizing the gpu(s) like it's supposed to.

Make sure you have the latest ATI driver, I heard that the recent ones fixed performance issues, and Beta 6 also fixed overal performance quite a bit also.

thanks for the tips, ill try new drivers as i dont have crossfire anymore, so im not completely committed to 10.5a. worst case, i was replacing the 4870x2 in a couple weeks. maybe it actually is being maxed out legitimately

You card wont die unless it was weak to begin with. Those that run F@H run it for years with no problems and that will keep your GPU pegged at 100% all the time. Hell I ran F@H on my cars for awhile and my cards still run great.

Do any of you'll have the problem where you don't have any sound in the game? I didn't preorder so I can't post on their forums it seems to ask. Using Corsair HS1 USB headphones. I only have sound on cut scenes.

Well this is odd, I logged in and played for a few minutes. I was suddenly DC'd. When I reconnected several minutes later, both of my characters were gone.

Yea I have no characters either. Today was my first try at the Beta. No sound and no characters isn't a good start lol. I can deal with the no characters as hey stuff happens and they just need to fix a server or something. This no sound is irking me to no end...

Yeah same here, got booted and now all my characters are gone...forums are borked at the moment as well

Yea, all the servers are down. :)

Yeah I see they are all grey'd out now but before you could actually goto character creation..so hopefully all is good when they bring them back online.

for the sound did you check the sliders in the audio section, cuz they just added audio sliders for this phase of the beta...

Yea I have no characters either. Today was my first try at the Beta. No sound and no characters isn't a good start lol. I can deal with the no characters as hey stuff happens and they just need to fix a server or something. This no sound is irking me to no end...

I've not had any sound issues through the last two betas.

Does the game have sound until the character select screen? Trying to troubleshoot the best I can, but I have no reference point without being able to login into the game.

Back