Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

My best buddy and I played together for the first time. We made a toon and got them to level 10 last night. He cancel his WoW account also. From the last beta to this one, I notice the lag more often. The server we where on was FULL. We where getting lag spikes. We where on the headseton the phone as we game and WE both got lag spikes at same time and sometimes, I would get one then a while later he will get one.

We enjoyed the game and then his roomate walked in and started asking why we did not wait for him LoL. So far from my group of guys that play together, (5 total) 3 cancel WoW to play this, 1 cancel and when to play DC and 1 is still with WoW

I will keep you all posted on my adventures.

Thank you for reading my multiple responses to this exact same retarded argument. :rolleyes:

I did, but that statement as it was made leaves little room for other interpretation.

Wow brought something massively game changing to the market whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

When it launched it really didn't offer much other than a new style and something for the millions of Warcraft players to jump on, which seriously helped their starting playerbase, something that no other MMO has had. It did a lot of things just like EQ had been doing already.

On a side note you guys know the worst part about playing MMOs? Listening to the constant stream of childish WoW hate from people that never would have looked twice at MMOs if it was not for WoW... :rolleyes:

I dont even play wow but i still find it rather funny.

I've played WoW since launch, and still have an account, but it's gotten so dumbed down a 6 year old can play it. Blizzard gave up on the hard core to get more players by making things too easy in my opinion.

I was playing MMO's long before WoW came out (beta tester for UO and EQ here), so WoW didn't show me anything I hadn't already seen prior. It sure didn't 'open my eyes" in any dramatic fashion.

I don't care what people want to play, so play what you enjoy for as long as you can. For me, my time in WoW is pretty much over after all these years.

My best buddy and I played together for the first time. We made a toon and got them to level 10 last night. He cancel his WoW account also. From the last beta to this one, I notice the lag more often. The server we where on was FULL. We where getting lag spikes. We where on the headseton the phone as we game and WE both got lag spikes at same time and sometimes, I would get one then a while later he will get one.

We enjoyed the game and then his roomate walked in and started asking why we did not wait for him LoL. So far from my group of guys that play together, (5 total) 3 cancel WoW to play this, 1 cancel and when to play DC and 1 is still with WoW

I will keep you all posted on my adventures.

The lag in this beta is worse than any other due to the number of new players and the fact they are really trying to stress the servers now to get a feel for what they'll need at launch to support the playerbase.

B1-B4 had virtually no lag whatsoever as a comparison. Even huge Rift battles were lag free for the most part.

It can only get better going forward. ;)

The game doesn't seem bad. I was enjoying myself while I was playing. I expected to go into it and have it be buggy and have it crash a lot as that has been my experience with MMO betas lately (DCUO, STO, CO specifically) and I was pleasantly surprised by how solid and stable it was. I'm not a big MMO player, but this game does feel like WoW and I have no problem with that. They should be taking things that actually work from other games. Change solely for the sake of change is terrible and rarely a good thing. People need to get over the bullshit term that is "innovation" and accept games for what they are.

Anyway the quests are kinda meh, but whatever they're not offensively horrible and at least I'm not walking for ten minutes to just go talk to someone (hated that in WoW). The way the game does auto-looting is a tad annoying, I like the way WoW does it as you see what you're getting without needing to look in your inventory or the chat window after the fact. Its a minor complaint so whatever. I like the look of the world and the characters. I love how seriously the voice actors are taking the terrible, cheesy story. The writing isn't great, but I get a good laugh out of it. I'll probably play more of it and if I manage not to burn out before the beta is over I'll look into picking the game up when it releases.

I really think the game feels more like Warhammer Online than it feels like WoW, as least from the visuals. I was pretty much having flash backs to areas in WAR when running around in Rfift :D

I felt the same way.

I played for an hour or so last night and enjoyed it until 300 other users started clogging the questing areas. The rifts are a great idea to combat the boredom of the typical unchanging MMO world.

Many of it's elements are taken from all over the MMO genre, not just WoW. It seems to take the best parts from WoW, WAR, EQ2, etc. and then sprinkles a few cool new ideas like the class system and rifts on top.
Yup

Question for those in previous betas or Rift. When you build out your characters souls, do you fill up one soul, spread evenly, build out 2 ignore one?

Question for those in previous betas or Rift. When you build out your characters souls, do you fill up one soul, spread evenly, build out 2 ignore one?

As far as souls go, in the past beta events I really had no idea what was good and what wasnt, but the last one, I specifically chose one soul that I wanted to concentrate on, for example the paladin soul, and then chose other souls that had the teir 0 free abilities that I wanted to complement my build, or passive abilities that were in the first few choices, that I could get with minimal point cost. I think this tends to work pretty good, but the cool thing is there is always those people who min/max for the highest dps or survivability, and there will be guides out for that anytime I am sure.

It really depends on the class and how you want to play.

Dumping all your points into one soul will get you the top powers, but basically make you a "one trick pony" of sorts. That doesn't mean you'd be useless, but may narrow your options in some situations as far as grouping or soloing.

Most people seem to go with the "balance 2 souls and take a 3rd that has a good freebie ability". (as noted by corrupted223)

Doing that will give you more variety in how you can handle different situations, but you won't get the top soul abilities (some of which are kinda meh anyway).

There's no "right" way really, and Trion has been very attentive to feedback about making any mix playable and enjoyable. In a group, any shortcoming of one player is usually offset by the strengths of the other players anyway. Heck I saw a group of 5 mages kicking serious ass without a tank among them, not even a pet!

I personally plan to go 2 soulss balanced out with a 3rd as a freebie on my cleric.

This game is pretty immersive in eyefinity, canceled my five wow accounts and enjoying the free beta now.

What kind of hardware are you playing with? My crossfire 6950 (unlocked) setup sort of struggles with even 2560x1600 at ultra settings with lowered shaders. I'd love to run in eyefinity, but I'd probably have to give up too much performance or be forced to turn down settings too far.

There is literally NO REASON for this game to exist. It already exists in a dozen different forms. The only people i see playing this game are burned out WoW players that dont want to play the other dozen wow clones out there for some reason or another. It simply dont have a viable market. If it where f2p or at least had an original idea they could call their own i could see it but as it is its no different than the rest and will fall on its face when the initial influx wears off and 90% of the population returns to WoW this game will be no better off than the other "WoW killers".

Disagree. I find wow's graphic look way too "cartoony". I liked the gamplay, I just hate the environments and art direction, as well as the entire WoW mythos/world. Rift is much more my style, and it conveniently borrows all the best aspects of wow and gets rid of most of the unappealing stuff.

Disagree. I find wow's graphic look way too "cartoony". I liked the gamplay, I just hate the environments and art direction, as well as the entire WoW mythos/world. Rift is much more my style, and it conveniently borrows all the best aspects of wow and gets rid of most of the unappealing stuff.
At least WoW has an art style.
Rift doesn't have any style at all, unless you consider "ugly" a style. :D

There's nothing worse than going for realistic graphics, and failing at it.

I played WoW until Sunwell got released, and enjoyed it for the most part other than the dumbing down to the lowest denominator. Rift seems to be moving away from that, and I enjoy the art style alot more. The game
runs smooth on my system and the devs are fucking amazing compared to other games I have played. There have been issues with sound, but they have said they are working on that, and with the attention to detail
they have given so far, I believe they will fix the problem.

At least WoW has an art style.
Rift doesn't have any style at all, unless you consider "ugly" a style. :D

There's nothing worse than going for realistic graphics, and failing at it.

Not even sure where to go with this one...you realize you're arguing with an opinion, right?

Who said they were realistic? They look good to me, period.

Did Disposed think he wasn't going to get ire when he makes a comment about how there's "literally" (completely overused term and not even appropriate) no reason for this game to exist? How about the fact that the developer likes money? How about the fact that coke and pepsi both do well in a single soft drink market? Then he can't take criticism of this asinine statement and leaves in a huff. Ok, whatever. What did you expect in a thread dedicated to Rift. Criticize the game all you want, but statements like that are tantamount to saying "there is literally NO REASON guys should like boobs".

Not even sure where to go with this one...you realize you're arguing with an opinion, right?

Who said they were realistic? They look good to me, period.

Did Disposed think he wasn't going to get ire when he makes a comment about how there's "literally" (completely overused term and not even appropriate) no reason for this game to exist? How about the fact that the developer likes money? How about the fact that coke and pepsi both do well in a single soft drink market? Then he can't take criticism of this asinine statement and leaves in a huff. Ok, whatever. What did you expect in a thread dedicated to Rift. Criticize the game all you want, but statements like that are tantamount to saying "there is literally NO REASON guys should like boobs".

qft. arguing on an opinion lol is pathetic.

seriously most of the people bashing rift seem to be fucking fanboys imo with bloody useless fanboy remarks like shit about art style

qft. arguing on an opinion lol is pathetic.

seriously most of the people bashing rift seem to be fucking fanboys imo with bloody useless fanboy remarks like shit about art style

It's utopia and disposed so what would you expect? They'll argue with you no matter what you say just to argue with you. It is either their opinion or none. It's an admirable quality in a lawyer, but it is just plain asinine on a video game forum.

I myself have enjoyed the beta so far. It's close enough to other MMO's where you can just pick up the game and go but also is different enough where it doesn't feel like an expansion of another game.

I really like how they set up the talent trees. No need to have 4 alts to have variety of gameplay.

What kind of hardware are you playing with? My crossfire 6950 (unlocked) setup sort of struggles with even 2560x1600 at ultra settings with lowered shaders. I'd love to run in eyefinity, but I'd probably have to give up too much performance or be forced to turn down settings too far.

Turn off Ground Clutter and don't go above 2X on AA. Turning off shadows can also make a big difference, but it also can take away a lot of the nice visuals. I dropped AF down a little as well and I get decent 50+ framerates in most spots other than huge battles.

I'd love to see Rift in a triple monitor setup. Wish I had a desk to put 3 screens on right now, but this corner desk barely holds my single 24".

Play with the settings though (might also make sure the ATI drivers are set to let the application control the settings).

Just made it to lvl 20 with a mage today, fun game.

You get more souls around lvl 16-19 (not sure when they start to offer). Basically the different teachers offer you a quest to find a rift shard and kill some spirit you want. You have to do this for each extra soul you want. I still need to get the warlock, necro, and archon for my mage, but probably wont bother.

The first dungeon on the guardian side can be brutal to an unprepaired team. I have yet to kill the last boss - it seems people are used to the handouts and easy encounters on wow and dont like to stick with it if they fail a couple times.

Been playing beta on and off between WoW sessions. Hit level 15 and so far so good.

I think the quest setup (windows and rewards) is EXACTLY like Warhammer...like the blue checks and green checks..looks like copy/paste.

I love the diversity so far..hopefully they can keep the souls unique and not make them identical clones.

I will be pre-ordering most likely.

Can't wait for this game to come out. Thanks to all of you for such detailed contribution to to the topic, explaining things, sharing you opinions etc.

Is there any class / soul which focuses purely on crowd control? If not, which class might be the closest match to my description?

Is there any class / soul which focuses purely on crowd control? If not, which class might be the closest match to my description?

The only one I can think of is Dominator soul in the Mage class.

Your first spell lets you turn a mob into a squirrel. :D

I am really, really getting into this game. My initial impressions of Rift were very 'meh'. Two betas later and I am really starting to dig this game.

I think to get a lot of CC you have to spec very carefully into several souls which is cool because it probably means missing out on the more powerful spells at the very top of the soul trees.

My assassin has a move where I throw sand in a mobs eyes and it blinds them for 10 seconds, I also have a stun, both of which can be used and not break stealth. So I can 30s stun one mob, blind another for 10s, then pull a 3rd mob and kill all 3 taking only one at a time, that sort of stuff should come in real handy for dungeons.

How viable are the Justicar (Cleric-Soul) and Riftstalker (Rogue-Soul) for tanking? I'm guessing they'll be fine for leveling and doing dungeons but I wonder if they'll still be viable at the raid tiers.

Rogues will never make an effective tank, you can spec stuff outside of your calling but at the end of the day you'll never be tanking like someone with a warrior calling. I think the same goes for healing and DPS, you can spec your tank for good damage but you'll never exceed the DPS of a rogue who is specced for damage.

Those wondering about gimping themselves by being a CC class? Trust me when I say this... CC is absolutely positively wanted in groups. I did the level 30 dungeon last night without CC, and I had to work my tankin butt off and was cursing for not snagging a CC mage.

Do It! Not sure how you can get more than one squirrel, but if you can get 2...do it!

How viable are the Justicar (Cleric-Soul) and Riftstalker (Rogue-Soul) for tanking? I'm guessing they'll be fine for leveling and doing dungeons but I wonder if they'll still be viable at the raid tiers.

I had a Justicar in my group last night. Was absolutely perfect for off tanking. Not sure how viable he would be for multi mob tanking though. Aggro with idiots is a pain when everyone is on different target as a tank. Probably worse as a Justicar.

The people saying Rifts == Public Quests, are wrong. There are very important differences between the two.

1) Rifts can spawn anywhere, they're not fixed in one place like Public Quests.

2) Mobs that spawn from Rifts can and do move out of the Rift area and around the entire zone. In Public Quests the mobs stay put.

There are other minor differences but these are two major reasons why Rifts > Public Quests. They can change a zone completely and have a much bigger impact on the game world and players.

Another big dfference is the impact they can have in PvP. Following a Rift mob around and helping them to take out NPCs and players from another faction. We haven't seen the full extent of this yet and the potential strategies involved.

I agree, that Rift is a lot like other MMO's but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As long as the game is polished, fun and has just enough little extras, then I will play it. We've seen what happens to MMO's that try to be too different. They last a few months and then die. I have no doubt Rift will have it's ups and downs but i really do think it will remain succesful and have a decent playerbase.

The people saying Rifts == Public Quests, are wrong. There are very important differences between the two.

2) Mobs that spawn from Rifts can and do move out of the Rift area and around the entire zone. In Public Quests the mobs stay put.

There are other minor differences but these are two major reasons why Rifts > Public Quests. They can change a zone completely and have a much bigger impact on the game world and players.

Another big dfference is the impact they can have in PvP. Following a Rift mob around and helping them to take out NPCs and players from another faction. We haven't seen the full extent of this yet and the potential strategies involved.

I agree, that Rift is a lot like other MMO's but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As long as the game is polished, fun and has just enough little extras, then I will play it. We've seen what happens to MMO's that try to be too different. They last a few months and then die. I have no doubt Rift will have it's ups and downs but i really do think it will remain succesful and have a decent playerbase.

So in other words..Rifts = public quests done right. Got it. Just hope they don't lean to much on it as the 300th time doing a Rift I imagine would get stale.

It's awesome they can spill over into NPC quest givers. So you have to fight it off to be able to get back to questing.

I don't know how dynamic or scripted the rifts and invasions are but they feel dynamic. It really makes for some fun times. I like that you can be soloing and then jump into a public group/raid for these.

I think as long as I can find a good guild this game should offer up lots of fun pve/pvp.

Just hope they don't lean to much on it as the 300th time doing a Rift I imagine would get stale.

But you do everything in an MMO hundreds of times...nature of the beast :D That being said I've heard of server wide rifts and invasions with epic type bosses, so that would be awesome

It's awesome they can spill over into NPC quest givers. So you have to fight it off to be able to get back to questing.

I don't know how dynamic or scripted the rifts and invasions are but they feel dynamic. It really makes for some fun times. I like that you can be soloing and then jump into a public group/raid for these.

I think as long as I can find a good guild this game should offer up lots of fun pve/pvp.

last night i was in the staring zone and it was infested from a rift!

But you do everything in an MMO hundreds of times...nature of the beast :D That being said I've heard of server wide rifts and invasions with epic type bosses, so that would be awesome

In beta 4 I was in the main PC area of Gloamwood and a super elite werewolf walked into town and started killing everything in sight.

It took a combined group of about 15 of us almost a half an hour to take him down after he slaughtered most of the town.

Best......night.......EVER!

Even though I died at least 10-12 times. :D

Just played another 6 hours tonight, me and a friend have been leveling together and it's been really fun.
We made a run through the first dungeon (Iron Tombs) and got some nice loot, we wiped a few times due to bad pulls and some failed bosses but we had fun and the dungeon had some interesting mechanics.

We also played some warfronts, we lost both of them but both were a lot of fun, I was taking my assassin around the back and beating on some casters and chasing down the people holding the fang.

So in other words..Rifts = public quests done right. Got it. Just hope they don't lean to much on it as the 300th time doing a Rift I imagine would get stale.

It's a lot more than that, Rifts spawn Invasion mobs, invasion mobs can assault camps, kill all the NPCs and take control of the area and spawn further mobs. You can go from questing as usual to all of a sudden being assault from all sides and finding yourself having to defend the camp and your party members side by side with the other players in the area.

I found the class structure amazingly dull considering all of the superficial promise in a three-class hybrid system. I was playing a champion/paragon/riftblade warrior and sadly each class had the same basic abilities in different disguises. Attack point generator, attack point dump and that's pretty much it with virtually no variety. They stepped on each others toes a lot and they never seemed to define themselves. None of the other abilities seemed to do anything of particular interest. It just played so mechanically and so boring no matter which soul I dumped my points into.

I was expecting something more along the lines of Champions Online where I could literally take a character, play all the way to level 40 as ego blades melee, then if I got bored, spec him into super strength melee which is thematically and mechanically completely different. Instead I just ended up pressing the same button combo over and over again no matter how I specced it, and sadly there were only like two buttons in that combo. At least there were 5 or 6 in a given WoW class's combo.

The mechanics of each calling are the same, but it does make for some interesting combos. You've presumably just tried those 3 souls, of a total 9 for each calling.

I've built a rouge with both close range and long range speced, I can pummel people from a distance initially and then do large amount of DPS up close, because the mechanics is the same for both souls I can build combo points as they approach and then spend them on melee finishers.

We had a rogue tank in our Iron Tombs run tonight, we also had a DPS Warrior, it worked quite well actually :)

Just played another 6 hours tonight, me and a friend have been leveling together and it's been really fun.
We made a run through the first dungeon (Iron Tombs) and got some nice loot, we wiped a few times due to bad pulls and some failed bosses but we had fun and the dungeon had some interesting mechanics.

We also played some warfronts, we lost both of them but both were a lot of fun, I was taking my assassin around the back and beating on some casters and chasing down the people holding the fang.

It's a lot more than that, Rifts spawn Invasion mobs, invasion mobs can assault camps, kill all the NPCs and take control of the area and spawn further mobs. You can go from questing as usual to all of a sudden being assault from all sides and finding yourself having to defend the camp and your party members side by side with the other players in the area.

what server you on? a shame beta ends today

Back