Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

I got a VIP invite from Nvidia last week, made an account and still no invite. Nobody likes me. :(

Unless it says VIP inside the name in your account applied keys page, it wasn't a VIP code, just a chance invite one.

I signed up VIA their website awhile back when the first Beta started I jsut got my invite here it is the 4th portion of the Beta. It took awhile to get invited. I ended up going on the forums and leaving a Post the day before the 4th beta started, checked my email about 2 hours later I had my invite.

You could always try that. Mention your a WoW head like me and maybe they will get you invited faster.

ESC to get the menu, Settings, Interface, Action Bars. You can have up to 7 rows on the bottom and 4 on the side to get something like this.

035.jpg

There are tons of settings, just dig through each menu to find them all.
I can't get anything even close to that to show up. I know where the UI menu is but all the seconday bars don't do shit for me... what the hell ? lol

Update.... I found it thx guys.

Last edited:
I can't get anything even close to that to show up. I know where the UI menu is but all the seconday bars don't do shit for me... what the hell ? lol

Update.... I found it thx guys.

I can't figure it out. How'd you do it?

I dislike Rifts Performance & Graphics. I know theg ame is running DX9 right now Im not buying it at launch unless I know its going to offer Smooth game play & boosted Graphics. Ill keep playing he Beta as it progresses but Im going to play other games

I dislike Rifts Performance & Graphics. I know theg ame is running DX9 right now Im not buying it at launch unless I know its going to offer Smooth game play & boosted Graphics. Ill keep playing he Beta as it progresses but Im going to play other games

I'm surprised you even bothered trying the beta with how obsessed you are with WoW. WoW has 5+ year head start , give Rift 5 years and I'm sure it would be similar in how polished it is. Shit even after a year I bet it will be quite impressive.

give Rift 5 years and I'm sure it would be similar in how polished it is. Shit even after a year I bet it will be quite impressive.
Rift will be lucky to still be around in a year, I highly doubt that they will make any significant enough cash to continue development. Where do I get this from? From the approximately 963946326 failed MMOs out there.

There is nothing new in Rift. Consumers are asked to either switch from an existing MMO to play Rift, or subscribe to Rift after they have quit playing essentially the same game and all the reasons why they quit equally apply to Rift.

Current MMO player dialog:
"Come switch to Rift!"
"Why?"
"It's fun!"
"I am having fun where I am at!"

Past MMO player dialog:
"Come play Rift!"
"Why?"
"It's fun!"
"Looks like it has the same old shit I quit my last MMO over!"

Rift will be lucky to still be around in a year, I highly doubt that they will make any significant enough cash to continue development. Where do I get this from? From the approximately 963946326 failed MMOs out there.

There is nothing new in Rift. Consumers are asked to either switch from an existing MMO to play Rift, or subscribe to Rift after they have quit playing essentially the same game and all the reasons why they quit equally apply to Rift.

"Come switch to Rift!"
"Why?"
"It's fun!"

Past MMO player dialog:
"Come play Rift!"
"Why?"
"It's fun!"

What I'm saying is you really can't compare WoW to a lot of more current MMOs (like the forth coming Rift) because its had 5+ years of real world usage behind its belt to make improvements and so on. 5 years for any MMO would allow it ample time to really improve and that was my point.

Will Rift be around a year from now? I really doubt it wouldn't be , for me personally no other MMO since WoW has appealed to me. However it will really depend on the end game raiding and class balancing .. something I feel which Blizzard has fucked up royally.

I'm not telling anyone without question Rift will be the best MMO ever and you should cancel your sub , what I am saying that despite the heavy borrowing its already showing some great potential.

And you can bet WoW will be stealing some changes Rift is introducing , wouldn't surprise me if you started seeing more "Rift" type world events instead of safe heaven instanced PVP battle grounds if Rift becomes even a mediocre success.

Briefly skimming...

A lot of people say it isn't fair for new MMOs to be compared vs WoW because it's had a "x year head start for polish, fixing, etc". While that is true, what is also true is that people expect more here and now; they want instant gratification. And as such, new MMOs have less time to turn around and why a majority die an early death.

Having said that, the next MMO that will succeed will need to take things to new heights from the get-go and change what it means to be an MMO. I am not sure what that is but someone will figure it out.

I will say this about Rift.It's polished. Seems bug free and is fun. If this had come out before WoW I'd be all over it. As it is I just don't know if it's emough to make me leave WoW.

I'm surprised you even bothered trying the beta with how obsessed you are with WoW. WoW has 5+ year head start , give Rift 5 years and I'm sure it would be similar in how polished it is. Shit even after a year I bet it will be quite impressive.

I actually just got off WoW as a matter of fact. I had to get on and play it was driving me mad.

I actually just got off WoW as a matter of fact. I had to get on and play it was driving me mad.

I was like that a few years back. In vanilla WoW, when there was honor decay I played 15+ hours a day on my servers top alliance PVP team. And then, when I was done with PVP, I raided with one of the top guilds on my server. I was on everyday, all day. I was in college at the time and I was so obsessed that my grades suffered. I played in a band, which I quit so I could spend more time in WoW. Yeah, not a healthy pattern. Meeting my (future) wife was what broke me out of the cycle.
Maybe it's just nostalgia, but WoW today is a shadow of vanilla WoW. The community is just godawful. I suppose it's the influx of twelve year olds who grew up watching their daddy's playing that have destroyed the community and, therefore, the game.

Rift, on the other hand, seems like it could be a good way to kill time while we're waiting for SWTOR. :D I've played the pre-release beta's for AoC and WAR, and I have to say Rift is in much better shape than either of those games were at launch. Rift has enough polish to feel like a game that has been live for a year or so. It might actually have a chance at not being a massive ball of fail like AoC and WAR were.

Last edited:
You'll never see "The Wearbeast" come into Org and trash the PC/NPC population as a random event in WoW.

Saw it tonight in Rift and it was epic and fun and we got slaughtered for about 30 minutes to beat it down dead. Most fun I've had in ages.

Rifts are what will keep it from being boring, since even being in town doesn't mean you're safe.

"Come switch to Rift!"
"Why?"
"It's fun!"

Past MMO player dialog:
"Come play Rift!"
"Why?"
"It's fun!"

I have to disagree with this Ive been playing the Beta & I really like it. It is alot of fun & has alot going for it.

1. The overall general Population seems very helpful & Im not getting crap responses from people when I type in General Chat (Big Plus)

2. Questing has been really fun so far & Unique. I'm liking the feeling of the Quests its not Crazy hard but its not like WoW where its so simple its boring. Rift puts you in the quest and makes you work for it.

3. Rifts are friggen awesome they are so much fun.

4. The Talent Tree's are awesome plain and simple. You get to actually pick what you want unlike WoW where your stuck in One Tree.

I can add more to it but I wont. Im enjoying my time in Rift. I played a Raid in WoW today & it was not fun at all I didnt have a good time. So much Complaining & people getting booted from our Raid cause of nonsense. Then we had to wait get someone else blah blah blah. I ended up leaving and went to play Rift :)

If they can Fix the bugs they have get DX10 & DX11 working, Fix AA & just overall get the engine optimized they have a Great shot. Will it be as big as WoW or take over WoW NO but I see it as a great MMO that will last & in all honesty not even my Guild are nice anymore they have turned into a bunch of assholes. so I /gquit

4LC4PON3 I am glad your enjoing Rift, please play in moderation and enjoy your surroundings. ;)

I am enjoying Rift quite a bit but, with watching football all day and had to take down the X-mas lights down from the house I only manage to put in 2 hours. Im tempted of playing some right now but it's almost midnight and should get some sleep. Stay safe

BTW: I am sure they will be fixing the DX 10/11 and the antileasing bug.

Well I have to say I have had the opposite experience than everyone posting here when it came to the community and general chat. Maybe it was my server, but at peak hours it was just barrens chat in general..you couldn't escape it by going elsewhere. But I didn't want to turn it off incase I saw something useful......and that never came during peak hours.

Quest system where people can take your items as you fight...and they can tag em and then you have to kill it when you do a little more damage to it and they run off....

PVP, healers don't heal. I was the lowest of the low in PVP with a cleric I made and out healed both teams. On the other hand, tanks are really good at PVP...levels make a difference of course. But with my mage, I couldn't even kill people's pets at low levels. They would literally beat me to death because I had no way to CC them and no one healed. It was alleviated somewhat at higher levels but I found it to be torture to play a mage in PVP.

And the rift system is fun for awhile, but with the accelerated rate they are running rifts at....you can run away from a quest hub do 15 minutes of quests come back and the town will be taken over by stuff your level that's elite....multiple groups. And this happens every half hour. So you leave twice, second time you come back the quest hub is camped. I found it to be rather annoying because you can't just wipe out elite chars on your own. And people rarely helped unless you were already winning.

I had multiple client crashes today versus friday and saturday where I had none. They handled that well..drops out to windows you can choose to send a report and reload or just send it and quit. If you choose reload it pops back into game and you are playing again in the time it takes to reload.

Warrior is probably the overall easiest class to play in both PVP and PVE. And I found it to be a little more fun since you didn't have to worry about being torn to shreds quite as often.

And overall the game is favorable in my eyes. Just the playerbase and experiences I had with them is definitely making this a no purchase for me....that kind of inane babble and pervasive trollish attitude spreads like a plague.

And just like it is in game and apparently here on the forums a bit. Comparing WoW to Rift is something people playing Rift don't want to hear. But it's kind of the way the human brain works, we build on knowledge and if something is like something else...we associate them and it can make learning and adjusting faster with that baseline to go from.

Simply put. any MMO to come out is going to be compared to previous MMOs released and mainly the popular ones. If something else dethrones WoW, we'll be comparing the new MMO to all others to follow it. WoW ain't the greatest game that was ever created, but neither is Rift nor any other game. But if you look at the mechanics of Rift, it's pretty much a carbon copy of WoW. Rogue action points, instead of a rage bar Warriors have action points (3).

Anyway Im tired, so if this is confusing that's probably why. I don't want to start an argument, but there's my opinion on Rift such that it is.

Every one is due their opinion, heres mine.

Its additictivly enjoyable like a junk food.
Rift battles are like Warhammers public quests but anwhere and everywhere.
There seems to be a good crafting system (but needs places to do so)
echo's of many different games but is more like a homage to them. I looked at one scene and i swear was was looking at a spot in warhammer.

I had patched friday and started playing...they wife watched for 20 min (old Daoc addict) then went and bought the collectors edition. Pulled her in real fast.

Ive played them all. From meridian 59 , the EQ's,the AC's, WOW,AOC and on and on Each had its appeal at the time.
RIFT will do well, but will never dethrone WOW.
WOW was made easy to play..anyone can play and do we with little effort.
And this is one very big reason it will always be on the top
Grandmas play WOW, I dont think they would play this.

Go sign up for a free beta key and see what you think.
I could see rift as a very respectable number 2 ( and no not like poop) :D

Having been in every beta weekend, and had time to play in 3 of them... its a really good polished game. it doesn't feel like a beta other than the time frame, the population (at times), and the frequent patches.

Its very polished, better than WoW in many ways I feel, yet still lacking that spark to draw me in. WAR didn't have it, AoC had it but dropped the ball hard... I'm stuck on the fence for a decision.

I'm hoping GW2 or Star Wars will be able to have that spark...

Having been in every beta weekend, and had time to play in 3 of them... its a really good polished game. it doesn't feel like a beta other than the time frame, the population (at times), and the frequent patches.

Its very polished, better than WoW in many ways I feel, yet still lacking that spark to draw me in. WAR didn't have it, AoC had it but dropped the ball hard... I'm stuck on the fence for a decision.

I'm hoping GW2 or Star Wars will be able to have that spark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJhFXUfj6HA

BTW: I am sure they will be fixing the DX 10/11 and the antileasing bug.

Supposedly the engine they are using is DX9 only and has no support for AA at all and never will.

The devs aren't talking much about it, which you can either assume is "silent confirmation" or "ignoring the comments and working hard to implement it".

So far it's looking like we shouldn't get our hopes up.

I was really hoping for Rift to be truly innovative but I think in the end I'm not going to pre-order. When I first initially heard about Rift, I was excited in thinking I could make viable classes such as a Tank Healer, or a Healing/DPS mage but in the end, the only way to be truly effective is min/maxing (which is to be expected I know, but I can dream can't I? :p) which means putting 51 points in a tree TBH from what I've seen in the Cleric class at least. I'm sure it's the same with the other classes as well.

I was really hoping for Rift to be truly innovative but I think in the end I'm not going to pre-order. When I first initially heard about Rift, I was excited in thinking I could make viable classes such as a Tank Healer, or a Healing/DPS mage but in the end, the only way to be truly effective is min/maxing (which is to be expected I know, but I can dream can't I? :p) which means putting 51 points in a tree TBH from what I've seen in the Cleric class at least. I'm sure it's the same with the other classes as well.

I can definitely say with warriors you can pretty much make what you want, how you want, and be damn good. There are no must have abilities 51 points in based upon the descriptions. Are there must have abilities for each class? Yeah. But they are hardly all located near the top of the tree.

Tank healer? Justicar? I KNOW they can tank. Not sure they can handle the group content heals, at least at 27.

I am also confused here on what you are looking for. If you min/max you WILL be that best of that class for DPS/Heal/Tanking. The whole purpose of min/max. So what you are asking about is utility or viability. How viable would a tank be lets say that dumped an even amount of points across 3 classes? I would say fine, as long as you can reach certain abilities in certain trees.

Edit: I see what you are saying. Sorry.

You want to mix warrior and mage souls. That even I would admit be a little too much. Didn't Asheron's Call allow this sort of thing? And there were nothing BUT...warrior/mages?

I can definitely say with warriors you can pretty much make what you want, how you want, and be damn good. There are no must have abilities 51 points in based upon the descriptions. Are there must have abilities for each class? Yeah. But they are hardly all located near the top of the tree.

Tank healer? Justicar? I KNOW they can tank. Not sure they can handle the group content heals, at least at 27.

I am also confused here on what you are looking for. If you min/max you WILL be that best of that class for DPS/Heal/Tanking. The whole purpose of min/max. So what you are asking about is utility or viability. How viable would a tank be lets say that dumped an even amount of points across 3 classes? I would say fine, as long as you can reach certain abilities in certain trees.

Edit: I see what you are saying. Sorry.

You want to mix warrior and mage souls. That even I would admit be a little too much. Didn't Asheron's Call allow this sort of thing? And there were nothing BUT...warrior/mages?

Yea you could say I was sort of expecting warrior/cleric or mage/cleric, etc but even with the current soul system, I was hoping that you could make a viable Justicar/Cleric type of character but it just doesn't seem very viable in terms of the min/maxing. What I was hoping more of was that like you wouldn't have the "Ultimate" Cleric or the Ultimate "Justicar" but that each mix of souls was evenly balanced in that EVERY spec was viable in utility and function but as it stands now from what I can see, if you want to tank, you'll have to take most of your points into tanking, same with healing vice versa.

I know it's sort of hard to put into words so I don't blame people if they don't get what I mean :p I guess I just need to find the right words to describe it.

Edit: I guess what I was looking for was that there would be no min/maxing and that whatever you built, would be equally strong and powerful. Maybe even limit how many points you put into trees so you'd have to build hybrids I guess? Does this make things clearer?

A justicar essentially is a tank healer. You don't really even need the "cleric" heals. My justicar with all my points into this soul can tank/dps and provide enough heal through all the dungeons so far. You don't need a direct heal. You can also take sentinal as a second soul with 6 points and have a strong direct heal and instant heal.

Absolutely clearer now. There are some 51 point abilities that you would be silly not to take. Like the Paragon 51 point is an ability called Flurry. Based upon the description, you would be silly NOT to take that.

But the Bard 51 point ability Verse of Joy is a mana/power regen song. A great regen, but 51 points deep great?

One thing that throws all this off is this. ALOT of the abilities of different classes do the same things. You might be better served also going up a particular tree because it IS a waste of points to get to that spell you want in another tree with nothing worth having up to that ability.

Hell I don't know. I barely looked at the warrior trees. But you get my point. It's pretty deep.

There will be min/max obviously. But with this game, I think hybrids will be acceptable also. Hell, they pretty much sell the game on that.

Admittedly I am more intrigued by what you could build than what the world offered. I think someone had it right saying the game didn't have that spark, or at least in what I was able to play of it in the 2 and a half days I had available for it.

I was pretty close to deciding to preorder but I'd want the CE of it if I did and I'd want to take advantage of the 6 months sub rate. But once I considered it would be around 140 bucks to do both. And on top of that I'd have to shop around for a server that didn't have chuck norris jokes and what not on general while I played. And I am not entirely sure what the normal rate for rifts are, I found them to be annoying at the rate they were running at. But they might be too slow to be almost rare in real game speed...or they might be nearly as frequent as they are now.

I'd simply need more time to evaluate..and I doubt they'll give that to me before the preorders and special offers are gone.

I know I either like to be in at the beginning of something or not come back until it's into it's first expansion. The middle lull period is not a very exciting time to play because everyone is always looking for other games or what's going to change in the expansion...irritating to know a lot of your progress will be nullified come expansion or exodus of players at new game launch.

Well I have to say I have had the opposite experience than everyone posting here when it came to the community and general chat. Maybe it was my server, but at peak hours it was just barrens chat in general..you couldn't escape it by going elsewhere. But I didn't want to turn it off incase I saw something useful......and that never came during peak hours.

Make friends with your ignore function. I started doing that to every person that mentioned "WoW" and it became much, much quieter.

I dunno, it feels just like every other MMO. I know for sure I won't be paying to play this...

Make friends with your ignore function. I started doing that to every person that mentioned "WoW" and it became much, much quieter.

Yeah, although some of those questions were completely valid and helped in learning the game structure and differences. It's just the constant hum drum of people that are so blindly hating of anything that is about another game in the game they are playing.

I'll do a for instance when I looked for 30 minutes trying to figure out how to do this and still couldn't get an answer because of people raging.

I wanted to bind a thumb mouse button to a specific action bar key, but in key bindings there's only specific things you could bind and it didn't have the ability to pick button 6 of action bar 2 for instance...at least that I could determine. So I asked, no one understood what I was saying. So I referenced WoW, to show an example of what I wanted for my controls. Specifically buttons that I use fairly often but aren't often enough to be number key 1-5 (anything beyond 6 on the keyboard is hard to press with the left hand and I try to keep it so I can keep right hand on the mouse and still be able to function without clicking each action key) key variety. This triggered a rant, which devolved into Rift being "just a beta" or that I should "put it in feedback" when I wasn't even able to determine if it was there and I couldn't find the functionality or not.....and of course the ever popular - not everything has to be like WoW, if you like it so much go play it. And the toilet bowl swirled down until the rants were exhausted and the tank had to fill back up....and then someone else asks a question about clicking to heal...like WoW. And the swirl began again.

The community of this game is probably it's biggest obstacle, especially since they didn't exactly try to break the mold when they designed this game....but people want to believe they did. It's almost like a religious or political discussion.

This came to mind when I saw a lot of the chatter going on in general minus the obvious trolls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8-VVaoUNAo

Last edited:
Binding things was very EASY, the easiest I have seen in this awesome UI. Press esc then click on Bindings, then using the mouse button you want for that action key click on it. Once you do you will see tex mouse key 4 for example. Then click on sace and your set.

I did not pay attention to the general chat, I was worrying about rifts and trying different combinations of talents.

Did anyone play the Necro and the Elementalist?

With NEcro the pet did not hold the aggro in fighting but the elementalist pet did hold the aggro. Did anyone notice this?

I think this game will rock once they enabled DX11. Im still trying to find developers information what level of DX will this game run.

Binding things was very EASY, the easiest I have seen in this awesome UI. Press esc then click on Bindings, then using the mouse button you want for that action key click on it. Once you do you will see tex mouse key 4 for example. Then click on sace and your set.

I did not pay attention to the general chat, I was worrying about rifts and trying different combinations of talents.

Did anyone play the Necro and the Elementalist?

With NEcro the pet did not hold the aggro in fighting but the elementalist pet did hold the aggro. Did anyone notice this?

I think this game will rock once they enabled DX11. Im still trying to find developers information what level of DX will this game run.

Also nice how with a new character you can hit ESC, and Import the UI settings from another character with a couple of clicks.

Not all pets seem to hold aggro, not sure if it's on purpose on by design. My stone pet would lose aggro constantly but my Pyro was putting out insane DPS.

As far as anyone knows, they're using an older version of the Gamebryo engine (earlier than 2.6), that only supports DX9 atm. The Devs haven't made a single comment about ever supporting DX10/11 so most are assuming it's not gonna happen by launch if ever. Version 2.6 of Gamebryo supports DX10/11 though so it's not out of the realm of possibility, but the folks who own Gamebryo appear to be flat broke and up for sale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rift_(video_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

Also nice how with a new character you can hit ESC, and Import the UI settings from another character with a couple of clicks.

Not all pets seem to hold aggro, not sure if it's on purpose on by design. My stone pet would lose aggro constantly but my Pyro was putting out insane DPS.

As far as anyone knows, they're using an older version of the Gamebryo engine (earlier than 2.6), that only supports DX9 atm. The Devs haven't made a single comment about ever supporting DX10/11 so most are assuming it's not gonna happen by launch if ever. Version 2.6 of Gamebryo supports DX10/11 though so it's not out of the realm of possibility, but the folks who own Gamebryo appear to be flat broke and up for sale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rift_(video_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

They are not using Gamebryo engine, they just used some Gamebryo tool sets when building their engine. The devs addressed this on the Rift forums a while ago when people ripped apart the beta files and found some Gamebryo packages in there.

They are not using Gamebryo engine, they just used some Gamebryo tool sets when building their engine. The devs addressed this on the Rift forums a while ago when people ripped apart the beta files and found some Gamebryo packages in there.

This...

Also just to note they ARE looking at ways to add a shader-based AA method since deferred rendering can't use multisampling. It is NOT supposed to stay AA-less forever :). Finally, they have confirmed previously they can upgrade to DX11 when it becomes mainstream without issue ;).

Back