Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

for anyones who gotten far enough into the beta, how do you change the 3 subclasses you've chosen?

ive heard you can, but whenever i respec only my talent points reset and when i click a soul theres no available souls in the box for me to switch too. currently im a lvl 11 and i really wanna change my pyro, storm, ele, mage to a warlock ! :(

You need to acquire more souls through either the level 15 city soul quests (they're in Quicksilver College for Guardian mages), or finishing Silverwood/Gloamwood questlines (Silverwood gives an additional soul choice, as does Gloamwood's end). :)

They are not charging for beta access..

I signed up on Thursday morning on their site for BETA and got invite later in the afternoon. I did not pre-order or anything.

Yep they also gave away thousands upon thousands of free VIP keys that give automatic entry to all beta events, through giveaways, contests, and fan sites. Additionally they are inviting a lot of people who just randomly signed up on their site.

Once companies start charging people for beta access through pre-order deals, all bets are off.

Yea DOZENS of MMO beta's have charged for beta access even so Rift does not. If you signed up you have a shot at getting in , all you gotta do is open an account and opt in to the beta. If you get a VIP key you get into all the beta phases until the beta ends. If you buy the game you not only get beta access in case you didn't before hand or were unable to snag a VIP key as well as a head start if you buy the CE version.

I signed up on Thursday morning on their site for BETA and got invite later in the afternoon. I did not pre-order or anything.

I hope I get picked. I'd love to check this out. So, you just signed up, and completed the Beta profile questions and waited??

I hope I get picked. I'd love to check this out. So, you just signed up, and completed the Beta profile questions and waited??

Yep.

I usually sign for most BETAs but never give my hopes up and then I checked later on in the day and got an email saying I was invited.

anyone using a 6950 and the 10.12 drivers? I see nothing but sprites and spell effects. Can't even see a character on the creation screen.

I had and still have this problem with the last two betas, on both 10.12 and 10.10e drivers. 5he only fix I found was to have the game in Windowed mode. Full screen no matter the res wouldn't work. It really sucks because I can't play in eyefinitin properly now. :( only 1680x1050.

I had and still have this problem with the last two betas, on both 10.12 and 10.10e drivers. 5he only fix I found was to have the game in Windowed mode. Full screen no matter the res wouldn't work. It really sucks because I can't play in eyefinitin properly now. :( only 1680x1050.

Turn off forced antialiasing in your control panel and that should solve the issue.

As far as sloppy graphics, not sure what you mean, it looks good to me?

riftmaxed.jpg

I'll give it a try. I had originally run it in windowed mode, but I redid the 10.12a hotfix so going to try that.

I am having an issue here. Everytime i try to Force AA in CCC 2xaa or 4xaa I go in game & everything is Done. all textures & everything I cant see anything not even my Character. Why is this? The graphics suck so im trying to atleast boost them so the game is Tolerable to look at.

Last edited:
For the ATI users with the 6xxx series who want AA just use the Enhance Application Settings and Check Morphological Filtering. At the moment it doesn't seem normal AA is working with any card.

:rolleyes:

We need to have a C'mon Man section for retarded posts around here.

Rift is actually a very good looking game for its genre and being in beta. Conan and LoTRO are still better looking overall I think, but they've had quite a time to mature.

Anyways, I'm in and loving the game so far. Made a Cleric/Justicar/Shaman and loving the first few levels at least.

Last edited:
Played the beta, and AoC looks a lot better. Especially the new areas in Rise of the Godslayer. AoC just looks sharper, and more detailed armor, etc. Much better architecture.

Gotta admit I'm liking the game so far. Having my little faerie following my cleric healing me and attacking stuff is fun. I wish I could figure out a better harmony with the skills, but I'm sure I could find something online that does it for me.

From the Rift website:

Pre-order RIFT today for Founder’s subscription plans, early play with Head Start, guaranteed beta access, and exclusive digital items!

So yeah, you could sign up for free and cross your fingers... But if you really want into that beta, it takes a commitment with cash.

From the Rift website:

So yeah, you could sign up for free and cross your fingers... But if you really want into that beta, it takes a commitment with cash.

It's more of a, if you want to play the game early you can pay.

No.
Those images were posted May 2006. Nice try. :)

edit;
Sauce. http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24591332&union_id=2474

You must be kidding.
The graphics are quite distinctively sub-par.

Using HDR to the point of absurdity (which Oblivion does) to make everything seem like its shiny gold does not make great "graphics". Art design also plays into it , Rift has quality graphics ..NOT great just quality and frankly after spending 5 years playing WoW playing Rift is like spending my life flying a B52 only to upgrade to a SR71 Blackbird..

Just recreated my rogue assassin character and played through the first 10 levels again, frame rate was a lot better this time although the game still struggles to max my GPU usage for both my GPUs so should be able to eek out some more performance yet.

Still undecided for a preorder at the moment, I really like the rift system but it feels a bit too much like your standard MMO otherwise, I've been having fun but I don't know how long it will last before the rift stuff gets boring.

Just recreated my rogue assassin character and played through the first 10 levels again, frame rate was a lot better this time although the game still struggles to max my GPU usage for both my GPUs so should be able to eek out some more performance yet.

Still undecided for a preorder at the moment, I really like the rift system but it feels a bit too much like your standard MMO otherwise, I've been having fun but I don't know how long it will last before the rift stuff gets boring.

I'm loving the assassin class in general , you can do so much more later on to customize it. I can't wait to hit 50 and really get deep into the theory crafting.

I think Rift down the road can only get better , they really seem to listen to feedback and they don't seem to force reasoning without a strong case on big changes unlike Blizzard.

Right now for me at least SW:OR still has a big chance to win me over since I love that universe.

One thing for me is that I loved the WoW leveling and questing system , yes it has flaws but out of every MMO I played it was the most fleshed out at the time. Rift completely steals a shit load of concepts and idea's from WoW but that doesn't bother me in the least , its like having someone at the drivers seat that isn't trying to convince me why going 130 in a 50mph zone is not only safe it'll balance out the driving experience for everyone else around me :p

I have a theory about the graphics not being as sharp and such. My entire Rift directory is 7.47 Gb. I think they are purposely using a lower resolution textures. I really doubt Rift is only going to be 7.47 GB at release. I honestly think they are hiding the real stuff for later. Thats just my opinion and only my opinion.

I have a theory about the graphics not being as sharp and such. My entire Rift directory is 7.47 Gb. I think they are purposely using a lower resolution textures. I really doubt Rift is only going to be 7.47 GB at release. I honestly think they are hiding the real stuff for later. Thats just my opinion and only my opinion.

I heard it's using the Warhammer engine. If so, this is as good as it gets. That would certainly explain why it looks so much like.....Warhammer.

Might just be beta, but omg...clerics are ridiculously overpowered early on. I think that is all I see on the RP server. Well Clerics and Rangers. I can count the number of Warrior castes I've seen on one hand.

But the game is still fun solo early on.

I heard it's using the Warhammer engine. If so, this is as good as it gets. That would certainly explain why it looks so much like.....Warhammer.

Oblivion uses the engine Warhammer used, too... an engine is not indicative of the art assets.

I'm loving the assassin class in general , you can do so much more later on to customize it. I can't wait to hit 50 and really get deep into the theory crafting.

I'm liking my rogue this time round, more than before. That's probably because I could take assassin as my first soul this time around, seems to have more DPS.

Meh I already want to play it again, god damn MMOs lol. I really like the way loads of people in an area all rally to help take out rifts, I only hope they expand on this further down the line with huge invasions like the one we saw at the end of beta 3 event, the bigger the better.

I'm liking my rogue this time round, more than before. That's probably because I could take assassin as my first soul this time around, seems to have more DPS.

Meh I already want to play it again, god damn MMOs lol. I really like the way loads of people in an area all rally to help take out rifts, I only hope they expand on this further down the line with huge invasions like the one we saw at the end of beta 3 event, the bigger the better.

I agree with this. I like the fact that alot of people are round & they really do help out alot. Im enjoying the game alot. Does need some work but I have pretty good hopes they will do the what they need to do.

I didnt like it at first but the more I play I am getting into it. I think that ive been playing WoW for over year years & im just spoiled. I did notice that going from WoW to this MMO has taken toll on me. Im having a harder time learning I think because I have never ventured into any other MMO before

I got a VIP invite from Nvidia last week, made an account and still no invite. Nobody likes me. :(

Congrats to all of those who will be joining the fun this weekend! :D

A couple things to keep in mind......

1. You can't really make an unplayable class mix so don't sweat it too much when trying to decide. I'm going to try to go pure healer yet again which is proving a tough one to do. If they haven't changed it since Beta 3, they are letting people get all the souls free and easy to mess around with combinations, but it won't be that way when the game ships.
  2. Please use the feedback button (its the ? in the bottom left corner) to give the devs honest, blunt feedback while you play. They've been listening and responding, sometimes patching during the beta to try changes that were suggested.
  3. Take a look through the interface settings to get things set up before you head out to fight. You'll find settings to add hotbars and other things in the interface preferences.
  4. A lot of people will be playing their level 20+ characters from other betas and if you play on a PVP server, be ready to run into some arseholes that will be running around the newbie areas killing new players. (I tend to always go PVE, and start over every beta since they've changed a lot of the low level stuff between beta's).

My only 2 concearns with the game right now are performance, it's great to horrible, and the UI options. For the life of me I can't figure out how to make extra hotbars. The defaut UI interface unless I can add seperate hotbars will be a dealbreaker for me.

The game actually is very polished. I find myself playing for long stretches and losing track of time I'm having so much fun with it. The class combinations are fucking awesome.The zonewide assaults are fucking brilliant in my opinion. Love it when a new rift opens.
Overall one helluva lot of fun.

Dude the UI IS AWEOMSE, more hotbars is easy push ESC key then click on settings on the left you will see layout or appereance. In there you can add lots of hot bars. Here is the beauty, once you add the hotbars you want, click on esc and this time click on edit layout, you can move anything in the game to where you want it. It's like WoW addon move anything build in. Awesome UI

Last edited:
For the life of me I can't figure out how to make extra hotbars. The defaut UI interface unless I can add seperate hotbars will be a dealbreaker for me.

ESC to get the menu, Settings, Interface, Action Bars. You can have up to 7 rows on the bottom and 4 on the side to get something like this.

035.jpg

There are tons of settings, just dig through each menu to find them all.

7 rows tho is a bit extensive since it takes up way to much screen room. i use right now 2 rows above amd 2 on the side. So far the game is really shaping up to be my new MMO. I hit level 20 last night & I must say its been great.

Lots of options, My fave so far are the Tree's Lots of Mix n matching

I played it for about twenty-hours now, several characters of various classes, participated in at least fifty rifts, invasions, and footholds. So here is my question, when does this game turn fun?

I cannot find anything of a story in this game to get interested in, the quests are bland and repetitive, graphics seem a bit hit-or-miss, and after so many rifts they seem boring and uneventful. The class system isn't much more then a talent tree with four-archetypes with two-three typical MMO classes to each and carved up into smaller pieces called souls, and did not find much interest in it.

I cannot say it's my dislike of games like this, as even Aion, Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft, and others consumed me for at least a couple months.

If you read the entirety of my post, there was an obvious part that said I did and they gave me some form of entertainment.

Back