Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

Guys just an update, I bought the collectors edition from D2D and have finish registering with Rift people. It shows on my account I have collectorws editions Rift unfortunately I am not in beta :(. Looks like only of you order trhough them will you get into beta for sure. bummer :/

Incorrect, read the posts I have made previously in this thread :). They are sending them out in waves continuing throughout the beta.

Incorrect, read the posts I have made previously in this thread :). They are sending them out in waves continuing throughout the beta.

Yeah they tend to send out plenty of batches, so I wouldn't panic yet.

Also, I'm sure there will be a few more beta weekends that you'll be in if by some odd chance you aren't in this one.

Article just for you then....."Why should a WoW player give Rift a shot?"

http://horrifticintentions.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/why-should-a-wow-player-give-rift-a-shot/

Pretty good read I think and it lays out some of the key differences.

This article....I read it and still don't feel as if they are actually comparing a generic MMO against WoW.

How do you like your world?

Basically it says Rift has more people running around than WoW does. Any MMO is going to have people running around all over the place in it's first month or two of existence. Everyone is starting in the same few places, doing the same few quests, etc. It's when people level up and spread out that you rarely see anyone. WAR is an excellent example of this, you could probably play for a solid 20 levels and only see 5-10 different people in the open world versus the first few weeks when everyone was all about the PQs. So this question to me has no bearing on the reality of this game's true lasting value.

How do you like your server community?

This just applies to games in general for me at this point. Most games have communities within communities that are worthwhile, but in general the bulk of the community whether you specify it as the "Rift Community" or "Rift Server A Community" or "Rift Server A Good Alignment Community".... the bulk of the community is going to suck. To say that Rift's community is better than any game at this point is a grossly stupid undertaking, because they don't have the slightest clue what the community is going to look like when retail rolls around and half a million more people show up.

How do you like your PVP?

I was under the impression that PVP is a new feature to this game, as in it's only been in a few weeks. I am not sure how you can draw lasting impressions on how the PVP will be when the game goes retail. From my experience, open world PVP in MMOs devolves into variations on ganking and griefing. Very rarely are there equal matched teams going up against each other that stay equal matched.

What else do you like?

There's actually some comparisons here as to what Rift offers that might not be completely changed by adding half a million people into the mix on retail. And this is the part they should have spent time explaning, pictures, videos, etc. But I have a feeling that the "What else do you like?" question will result in WoW adding it into their game. They've done it before.

And I say this as someone who doesn't even play WoW. I am not pro or anti WoW in any major way. I just hate pointless articles where you could insert any other game title into it and you probably couldn't tell the difference...except for the last question. Plus I suspect like any MMO that wants to generate money, Rift will change and rebalance content to close exploits/imbalances/player outcry.

I really hope they delve further into the game and show off what they feel is awesome about the game with some screenshots at least.

Yeah well they need to hurry up lol I want my Damn beta key. Im dying to try that game.

Woot just got my offer for beta 4 starting tomorrow, whoop whoop time to kick some more rift ass :D

Just got my invite as well, I get back from Canada tomorrow and looking forward to it.

This article....I read it and still don't feel as if they are actually comparing a generic MMO against WoW.

<snipped for brevity>

And I say this as someone who doesn't even play WoW. I am not pro or anti WoW in any major way. I just hate pointless articles where you could insert any other game title into it and you probably couldn't tell the difference...except for the last question. Plus I suspect like any MMO that wants to generate money, Rift will change and rebalance content to close exploits/imbalances/player outcry.

I really hope they delve further into the game and show off what they feel is awesome about the game with some screenshots at least.

I hope you get into one of the beta weekends then so you can make an informed decision for yourself. An MMO is a personal thing to most people. Kind of like driving a car I suppose, since most would never buy a car they couldn't test drive, unless money was no option, but for most of us it is. ;)

Actually, PVP was not "recently added", it was only just made available to beta weekend players now (it's been a part of the game for a loooooong time) :).

I want in the game but I cant afford to pre order the game right now so im screwed. I signed up for the Beta VIA the website weeks ago but Im assuming its going to be a dud and im not getting in. Job loss sucks

Hell Yeah I just got my Rift beta invitation. lol im so happy now. I am pulling an all nighter for sure

Last edited:
WOOHOO you all guys where right. I got the Beta invitation and deleted my WoW directory ! I been reading more and more on the classes and cant make up my mind. I left it downloading, hopefully it should be done by the time I get back home from work. WOOHOO guys hey, with reading the system requirement, it shows DX9, anyone know if later there will be a patch to bring out DX11?

Just got my invite, how big is the download? I'm at work so I can't check.

Just got my invite, how big is the download? I'm at work so I can't check.

When I left in the morning into work I believe it said 7.5 GB or so. I dont know if there will be another patch after that. Times likes this I wish I would have setup remote desktop.

There are 2 Patches. One long one 7gbs & another wich is Small. It doesnt take long as at for both of them the 7gb one took around 40 minutes. Download speeds were fast around 2.0mbs

after the big patch you have to Hit play to start the next one

There are 2 Patches. One long one 7gbs & another wich is Small. It doesnt take long as at for both of them the 7gb one took around 40 minutes. Download speeds were fast around 2.0mbs

after the big patch you have to Hit play to start the next one

Awesome, I'll start the download as soon as I get home then :D

Downloading now. Now if only I can find a job that fits my salary needs...

Eh?

If you were in previous beta the patch isn't 7.5Gb, my client updated in about 2 minutes for the last patch so it's no bigger than 1Gb

Guys just an update, I bought the collectors edition from D2D and have finish registering with Rift people. It shows on my account I have collectorws editions Rift unfortunately I am not in beta :(. Looks like only of you order trhough them will you get into beta for sure. bummer :/

I just signed up for a Trion account yesterday, applied for Beta and got my invite to beta all in the same day.Started downloading the 8gb update before I left for work this morning.

Last edited:
Alot of us are just getting into the Beta. I just downloaded last night. I figured the same for these guys.

Congrats to all of those who will be joining the fun this weekend! :D

A couple things to keep in mind......

1. You can't really make an unplayable class mix so don't sweat it too much when trying to decide. I'm going to try to go pure healer yet again which is proving a tough one to do. If they haven't changed it since Beta 3, they are letting people get all the souls free and easy to mess around with combinations, but it won't be that way when the game ships.
  2. Please use the feedback button (its the ? in the bottom left corner) to give the devs honest, blunt feedback while you play. They've been listening and responding, sometimes patching during the beta to try changes that were suggested.
  3. Take a look through the interface settings to get things set up before you head out to fight. You'll find settings to add hotbars and other things in the interface preferences.
  4. A lot of people will be playing their level 20+ characters from other betas and if you play on a PVP server, be ready to run into some arseholes that will be running around the newbie areas killing new players. (I tend to always go PVE, and start over every beta since they've changed a lot of the low level stuff between beta's).

Got into beta this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to judge if I want to pre-order or not.

Got into beta this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to judge if I want to pre-order or not.

Make sure you experience a zone wide assault before you make up your mind, everyone should get an opportunity to fight in one of them, they're epic and a lot of fun.

Alright, I pre-ordered from D2D. I've already activated my key on the Rift website. How long do I wait to get my Beta invite?

Alright, I pre-ordered from D2D. I've already activated my key on the Rift website. How long do I wait to get my Beta invite?

You'll get an email pretty quick, if you don't get one after an hour or so, go to the website under account management and see if you have a EULA to read at the bottom right.

I pre-ordered yesterday. Hoping that this will bring something a little more fun to the board. WoW has burned me into the ground after nearly... what, six years?

The graphics are kind of Decent & the FPS is fucking crap. Im getting about 23 FPS.

What I would like to know is how many of you who pre-ordered Rift also pre-ordered APB?

The graphics are kind of Decent & the FPS is fucking crap. Im getting about 23 FPS.

What is it with kids these days? Why would you say the graphics are decent, then complain about your fps in a BETA client?

I pre-ordered Rift, but I didnt pre-order APB. The concept of the game looks good. As soon as i get off work today going to check out the beta to understand how the game works.

FYI on the pre-orders sometimes it takes a while to get the beta key. I pre-ordered on Amazon, and got the key from them today. However, I sent my recipt into Trion games, and they gave me access to beta before hand. Just incase anyone experiences any issues.

What is it with kids these days? Why would you say the graphics are decent, then complain about your fps in a BETA client?

For one I am NOT a kid at all. The graphics are pretty good like I said. The FPS in the game even for a beta for pretty bad. 23 FPS? If you go to the Rift forums look how many people are Complaining about Very poor FPS. Even for a Beta it should of been Addressed by now. This is the 4th part of the Beta test.

23FPS with Custom settings & alot of shit on LOW its kind of unplayable to a certain point

Last edited:
For one I am NOT a kid at all. The graphics are pretty good like I said. The FPS in the game even for a beta for pretty bad. 23 FPS? If you go to the Rift forums look how many people are Complaining about Very poor FPS. Even for a Beta it should of been Addressed by now. This is the 4th part of the Beta test.

23FPS with Custom settings & alot of shit on LOW its kind of unplayable to a certain point

Edit: Whats with all the Noobs on [H] these days to No common sense & feeling like they have the right to diss someone based on nothing.Trying to make yourself feel Wanted/Special?

Good points, when publishers declare something Beta and it launches in a few weeks, that means it is ready for final testing and verification. Late beta is not the time to do engine overhauls because the game runs like shit for a ton of people.

Publishers use beta access primarily to generate revenue now, testing the game is secondary.

I am tempted to try this out. Anywhere I can do a $5 pre-order and play the game this weekend? Or does a $5 pre-order just get me a CHANCE to play this weekend? I have zero interest in committing a purchase at this point in time, but $5 is OK for me to give it a try.

Edit: Whats with all the Noobs on [H] these days to No common sense & feeling like they have the right to diss someone based on nothing.Trying to make yourself feel Wanted/Special?

Noob title or not, I've been on the [H] since Kyle started it, and was still giving out hardware after tests. ;) I think you'll find I'm not exactly the post whore type.

You're expecting something that just won't happen. This is a beta, so I'm guessing the performance won't go up by much anymore. Maybe some tweaks here and there, but don't expect more than a few fps increase. Just won't happen, period.

Time for a rig upgrade.

I dont need a rig upgrade & im not going to upgrade just for one stinking game. I can run every game I toss at my Rig & everything runs great & smooth. I just wont play the Rift beta. I wish I was a dev I would put out half done beta's.

Noob title or not, I've been on the [H] since Kyle started it, and was still giving out hardware after tests. ;) I think you'll find I'm not exactly the post whore type.

Yeah I edited my post that was out of line. Sometimes Internet & games discussion gets to me :)

I dont need a rig upgrade & im not going to upgrade just for one stinking game. I can run every game I toss at my Rig & everything runs great & smooth. I just wont play the Rift beta. I wish I was a dev I would put out half done beta's.

Card in your sig is really, really weak by todays standards :(

I ditched mine fairly recently. Big dif.

Back