Rift now 399. Should I and what do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Morning all. So now that the Rift is 399 I'm thinking about going to Best Buy and grabbing one. I know the new Santa Cruz will be available MAYBE in 2018 and I can always sell and upgrade then if need be.

What else do I need to get? The sensors yes and how many? I'm guessing I'm sitting in a 12 by 12 room, approximately, open on one side. Do you wall mount these things?

Any advice please throw my way.

Thanks.

Eh, I say it's still worth it, though with the new Windows VR headsets coming out, along with the Pimax ones, it might be worth waiting. For me though I love it and am OK with it's drawbacks...YMMV.

As for the setup, ceiling mounts are a good idea. Several options for this (security camera mounts, 3D printing thingies on eBay, Google)...up and high covers more area. The sensors work fine upside down.

The Rift + Touch comes with two sensors. I have a third for the third corner of my room and it works well for the most part. A fourth would be ideal. Each individual sensor comes with a 16-ft USB repeater cable as well.

So yeah, I love mine...wireless and higher resolution are the only really wanted features in my eyes.

It's totally worth it. Between the Oculus Store and Steam there is enough free stuff that you could get away without buying any software for months, not that any of us last that long...

Rift is hell on your USB subsystem. You will want a third sensor, and I'd suggest that you pick up one of the recommended USB expansion cards, the $30 Inateck branded cards are fine; for best results grab a four port version, not one of the five port ones. (There is a hub chip for the extra ports that some people have issues with. I have a five port one and it's fine... Your mileage may vary. ) You will also want a USB extension or two, in a 12x12 room you could get away with the shorter and less expensive passive ones.

As far as mounting the sensors, they're threaded 1/4x20, so you can pick up any of a number of camera mounts, tripods or selfie sticks to mount them, or just do what I did and pick up some brackets, nuts, bolts and velcro from the local hardware store and build your own.

So yeah... My recommendation - Start installing the software before you go to Best Buy to pick up the $400 box of joy. Then jump on Amazon, or your online retailer of choice, and order a USB 3 expansion card, a USB 3 extension cable or two, peruse the cheap camera mounts, and order a third sensor. Then forget all the stuff you're waiting for, rip into the box, slap the sensors on either end of your desk, put the HMD on, and start playing. You should do it today.

Oh yeah, when setting up your boundaries, I really suggest leaving a foot or more between them and anything hard, fragile, or expensive.

If you are a gamer and have a decent PC that is decked out with good hardware that includes at least 16gigs of RAM and a solid GPU (970 or better) then yes, I'd say the RIFT @$399 is totally worth it. Judging from your sig, your setup is more than adequate!

VR has been the single best hardware investment I've made in the past 2 decades or more as to what I am getting out of it. Is it perfect? Hell no. But is it plenty good enough and does it blow the gaming experience with a mouse and keyboard completely out of the water? Hell yes! VR can be described verbally and in text till everyone is blue in the face and still not even begin to convey what you feel/perceive/experience when playing in VR. It really has to be experienced first hand... and yes, it is amazing.

Two sensors is ok, but like others have mentioned, you'll really want to invest in a 3rd for the best overall experience. And yes, dicking with USB ports to get them all working smoothly can be frustrating on some setups, especially if you mb doesn't have good built-in USB 3.0 support or uses a flakey USB controller. So, I also recommend a good USB expansion add-in board if you do run into issues - many do not. There are lots of different ways of mounting the sensors - many good ideas out there if you google it. Yes, wall mounting is best. You'll also want your senors up high in the corners of your room at roughly 7 feet or higher looking down for best overall performance. (Pretty much the same as the Vive's lighthouses). Lastly, you'll probably also want/need some USB extension cables for some of the sensors. Amazon has some cheap ones that work well. And for a longer run, you may need an active cable. Again lots of on-line recommendations/guides are available if needed, Google again is your friend. Put some time into setting it up and mounting your senors well and you'll be much happier. Let us know how you like VR!

Yeah, 3 to 4 sensors and a good extension. I got an active one but not sure it was needed. The 3rd sensor I got, I bought extra controllers since it comes with one. There has been a few times I have smacked my controller on my desk but nothing happened yet.
For sensors the best way is to use cctv camera mounts so you can move them for better tracking control. I ran my 3rd sensor line under the carpet and bed. Worked good.

Picking it up tomorrow...I'm actually looking forward to using the updated 'dash'

Picking it up tomorrow...I'm actually looking forward to using the updated 'dash'

The updated Oculus Dash interface actually doesn’t roll out until December. Does look pretty cool though in that it works seamlessly with any VR game/experience.

im debating on buying a rift @ 399.99 or waiting for Samsungs VR @ 499.99 seems like it could be much improved. ive also been debating maybe finding a used Rift for $200 . hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

im debating on buying a rift @ 399.99 or waiting for Samsungs VR @ 499.99 seems like it could be much improved. ive also been debating maybe finding a used Rift for $200 . hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

Can't hurt to wait another month and check out the reviews to find out, but other than the slight resolution bump (1,440 x 1,600 per eye vs. 1,080 x 1,200), I don't think they'll get you a much better VR experience than what the Rift does now since it has had a huge head start as to games, apps, and driver/interface maturity. There are also a number of negatives that I see:

1) Inside out tracking - While it works, it's simply just not as good yet. Especially when it comes to tracking the hand controllers, which will loose tracking if not in the direct field of view of the front facing HMD cameras.
2) Bulky, over-sized controllers. They look like the Rift and the Vive had a baby, but then decided it was a bad idea and immediately put it up for adoption. Norm and Jeremy on Tested also didn't like them. They appear top heavy and much more fragile/easier to break as the front mounted sensor ring is huge and awkwardly attached to the handle. Hopefully what has been shown thus far isn't the final design, but this late in the game, less than a month from release, they probably are.
3) Unproven Steam integration. Since it's a Microsoft tie-in, they will most likely push the Windows App store with its use. While I don't doubt they'll also get it working on Steam, I bet it'll take a few months to get that integration sorted out and working smoothly, and if game developers also need to tweak their software to allow for its proper use, then that will also take some time.
4) Boonie will most likely say that Microsoft will be capturing your VR wanking telemetry and then use it to extort you.

Can't hurt to wait another month and check out the reviews to find out, but other than the slight resolution bump (1,440 x 1,600 per eye vs. 1,080 x 1,200), I don't think they'll get you a much better VR experience than what the Rift does now since it has had a huge head start as to games, apps, and driver/interface maturity. There are also a number of negatives that I see:

1) Inside out tracking - While it works, it's simply just not as good yet. Especially when it comes to tracking the hand controllers, which will loose tracking if not in the direct field of view of the front facing HMD cameras.
2) Bulky, over-sized controllers. They look like the Rift and the Vive had a baby, but then decided it was a bad idea and immediately put it up for adoption. Norm and Jeremy on Tested also didn't like them. They appear top heavy and much more fragile/easier to break as the front mounted sensor ring is huge and awkwardly attached to the handle. Hopefully what has been shown thus far isn't the final design, but this late in the game, less than a month from release, they probably are.
3) Unproven Steam integration. Since it's a Microsoft tie-in, they will most likely push the Windows App store with its use. While I don't doubt they'll also get it working on Steam, I bet it'll take a few months to get that integration sorted out and working smoothly, and if game developers also need to tweak their software to allow for its proper use, then that will also take some time.
4) Boonie will most likely say that Microsoft will be capturing your VR wanking telemetry and then use it to extort you.

good point hmm.. im also debating if i do come across a cheap used pimax 4k might be easy way to get in tinker around cause i mostly want to use it for videos for wanking telemetry. Maybe be able to find one for 200 or less. Hmmph.

VR can be described verbally and in text till everyone is blue in the face and still not even begin to convey what you feel/perceive/experience when playing in VR. It really has to be experienced first hand... and yes, it is amazing.

This is something I've noticed about VR as well. No matter how much I talked about it prior no one REALLY gets it. I can sit here and talk about how the 3D is natural and feels real, that the touch controls are an extension of your real hands and arms and everything is real space and size and and and...the moment they put it on I always get that "Oh, now I see what you mean!".

It's very interesting how VR is one of very few things that people just don't understand until they try it. I've had people get a little upset about how much I'd go on about VR and how I'd push them to come over and try it...every single one that was reluctant or sick of hearing my shit were GLAD they actually tried it once they did. I got the same "Alright, that is fucking awesome and I see why you love it and were so pushy about it" response from all.

So he is known around here to be a pest about these sort of things! Got into it a little the other day in a VR thread where his only response was basically how Facebook rapes us all and spies and collects every single bit of knowledge about us through our Rift rigs. It's people like this that complain about dumb shit like VR but will turn to their smartphone (run by Google or Apple) or their PC (run by Microsoft) and not give a goddamn about their information that's probably way more detailed and knowledgeable being collected and sold and used against him.

good point hmm.. im also debating if i do come across a cheap used pimax 4k might be easy way to get in tinker around cause i mostly want to use it for videos for wanking telemetry. Maybe be able to find one for 200 or less. Hmmph.

I've heard that the Pimax only allow for head rotation, which if true, will limit it's use substantially. I know the image quality is better and more detailed but that's about it from what I've heard. Hardly worth the price of admission I'd say. Especially if it's ONLY headtracking. Can you move side to side? Back and forth? I just think of games like racing sims or flight sims where the resolution would be nice to have but everything else would be worse.

When I play Project Cars 2 in VR on my racing rig I know that only being able to look up and down and left and right would hinder my experience greatly as opposed to being able to pop my head out the side window and or look above my hood as I climb a steep hill and can't see the top. I think the 4K resolution would be baller but everything leaves a not so fresh feeling.

But of course that's just me...along with the lack of room scale and proper touch controls without using a bunch of hacks and tweaks and other hardware the Pimax just isn't worth it.

Picking up a Rift today. Spying on me? Who cares. Here's what they'll get from me. ...

Rift/Facebook: Ok he has the set on. Audio is clear.
Me: Hey babe can you get the dishwasher it's beeping.
Rift/Facebook: Ok we got that?
Me: Wow this is cool. What the fuck...hey the cat jumped on my shoulder can you grab it? Shit, never mind he jumped down. Fucking cat.
Rift/Facebook: He's fucking his cat?

Thinking about picking one up.

What games/ sims / demos make this worth having?

What sensors are yall talking about picking up, thought they were built in.

Is VorpX legit? Is there something better?

Thinking about picking one up.

What games/ sims / demos make this worth having?

What sensors are yall talking about picking up, thought they were built in.

Is VorpX legit? Is there something better?

Here is a link of some good ones. The sensors can be put on a shelf or you can get some cheap cctv camera mounts for the wall.
Vorpx allows you to play games on the Rift that were not made for it at the time. I really enjoyed Bioshock.

https://hardforum.com/threads/must-have-applications-games-for-vr.1940882/

Start with the 2 sensors, if you get them set up properly you should be fine without needing more unless you're planning a large play area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back