Ridiculously slow FTP transfer speeds

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
I honestly don't know if this is directly related to the ICFX3200 or not, but for now it's an assumption.

Previously, my finance was using the system that is now the file server (running WinXP Pro SP2) and I was using my s939 system with an RDX200 motherboard, also running WinXP Pro SP2. I had no issues with FTP file transfers, whether I actually used an FTP client or not, I was getting 3-8MB/s, decent considering the early released Gigabit ethernet connection on the nForce2 board in the server and my old cable.

Now, I'm using the Marvel Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Controller on the ICFX3200...absolutely the only thing that has changed. Now...whether I move files to the server or pull them off of it, or even log onto the server remotely and move files to and from...I'm only averaging about 50kb/s...completely ridiculous.

I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing in the configuration of the ICFX3200...but the ONLY thing that has changed is what motherboard I'm using...and all of a sudden my FTP transfer speeds are crap.

Please help!!!

I suppose I'll see what else I have...because the cable that was going from my finance's computer to the switch is now going from the modem to the switch, and the cable between either the main computer and the switch or the file server and the switch was previously being used, but there's a chance that one of the computers is actually hooked up with a cable I wasn't using.

I'll check it out.

Well, I had/have an older 50ft cable that I ran between the modem and switch, seeing as I don't need crazy bandwidth capabilities coming from the modem, and the cable that was going from the modem to switch previously is the one that I was using to previously go from the switch and what is now the file server. I figured that if it was going to be a cable problem it'd be one of the cables that's plugged into either computer...but I swapped out both of them and nothing changed.

I also tried the latest (yes their were newer drivers available) drivers for my gigabit adapter...but no difference. :mad:

Not sure if it means much being that Sandra is a synthetic test, but the "Internet Peerage" test in Sisoft Sandra shows that the fileserver is about 20kB/s slower then the main system. I really have no idea what's going on. :confused:

Turn off Auto Negotiate on the card and set it for 1000 mb/full or 100mb/full and try it

makes no difference.

I'm actually starting to think that it could be the switch...seeing as both computers score the same in any online bandwidth speedtest and download speeds are very comparable.

Might have to wait and try a new switch or get a real router...we'll see.

I'm actually starting to think that it could be the switch...seeing as both computers score the same in any online bandwidth speedtest and download speeds are very comparable.

Might have to wait and try a new switch or get a real router...we'll see.

You could try a direct connection between two computers. Use auto-generated private IPs or assign them manually for the duration of the test. Gigabit doesn't even require crossover cabling to do this.

Synthetic network-only tools are also useful in such cases to see if the problem is at the network level or higher.

E.g. iperf 1.7:

server: iperf -s
client: iperf -c server -l 64k -t 12 -i 3 -r

I do have a crossover cable around here somewhere, and as soon as I can find it I was just gonna manually assign IP's and do a direct connection to rule out the Switch completely. Hopefully something is cleared up...as my main drive is full of downloads that I need to get on the server to free up enough space for game installs.

I'm sorry, I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to a lot of things networking related and will admit that I haven't heard that term before. You mean I can wire the two computers together without crossover cable and share files? I was always told/under the impression that crossover was needed?

It may be the NIC.

I can't use my integrated NIC because it floods ny network with packets for no reason. I replaced it with a 10 year old Intel Pro/100 NIC, and boom it all works great.

Well, I'll try a crossover connection between the two systems to rule out the switch...and if it keeps happening then I might have to get a gigabit network card for my comp...weird though, 'cus I've never hard of anyone having issues like this specifically with the ICFX3200.

I've had NIC/Switch conflicts before and this sounds like one.

For example, I had a PC I was ghosting for someone this weekend and I couldn't download anything faster than 25KB/s. The NIC in there just hated my Zonet 16 port 10/100 switch.

All other PCs with different NICs work fine in that port, same cable and all.

...and I had a cheap gigabit 5-port switch that refused to connect at 1Gbit with my Marvell or nVidia gigabit adapters, but my Linksys RVS4000 works perfect.

I'm sorry, I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to a lot of things networking related and will admit that I haven't heard that term before. You mean I can wire the two computers together without crossover cable and share files? I was always told/under the impression that crossover was needed?

Yes, you should try a regular patch cable. Gigabit NICs should incorporate auto-crossover, and some older crossover cables might not even work with them.

I'll try the crossover cable and if it's still slow it'd have to be something with the ICFX3200, we'll see though.

Back