Ride A Glass Slide 1,000 Feet Above L.A.

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
They should have gone all the way and made the slide go from the 70th floor to street level.

To ride, you board a gray mat and pull it up over your feet -- kind of like a makeshift sled -- and scoot yourself over the precipice. Only one person can go at a time. Forty-five feet sounds long, but the ride takes just a few seconds. Before you can get a really proper scream going, you're launched out onto a safety mat on an outdoor deck on the 69th floor. Many of the people in attendance Thursday surprised themselves by wanting to take a second or third ride.

Yea that sounds pretty lame. Guessing it cost a fortune for the glass hence why the only made it go a single floor. I've been on slides that drop as far as that does, but they are only like 16 ft long and not 50.

Too bad it's fully enclosed.

I'd pay to see people ride that thing if it had rails only belt high :D

Wow...what an exciting 2 second slide.

Seriously, glass like that could hold an elephant. Why don't we have 1000ft glass slides like this?

If I was visiting and I wanted to spend 2 hours to get to a ride that only lasts 20 seconds, I'd consider this.

Too bad I'm never visiting LA. :D

Instead of fixing our roads they decide to spend the money on a glass slide in earthquake country? Brilliant.

The hardest part is to convince myself and a friend to drive to downtown LA. Traffic is a nightmare on all the freeways leading to downtown during the day. However, this sounds really fun even if it's only one story and lasts a couple seconds.

Last edited:
They should have gone all the way and made the slide go from the 70th floor to street level.

To ride, you board a gray mat and pull it up over your feet -- kind of like a makeshift sled -- and scoot yourself over the precipice. Only one person can go at a time. Forty-five feet sounds long, but the ride takes just a few seconds. Before you can get a really proper scream going, you're launched out onto a safety mat on an outdoor deck on the 69th floor. Many of the people in attendance Thursday surprised themselves by wanting to take a second or third ride.

when I originally read an article about this last week, I though it was a 1000 foot glass slide and was super pumped (and more than a little surprised that they would waste so much money building something like that. After I found out it was only 1 story I was pretty disappointed.

Might actually be cool if it spiraled around the entire building and you could ride it from the roof all the way down to ground level. This looks kind of lame.

3EHrOBN.jpg

Ho hum. If the creators were to wrap the slide around the building down to the ground floor then I would consider the effort a challenge.

Bring it on. :)

I can see this slide from my office. I would do it, but I wont pay $25 to get up there.

I am conditionally of scared of heights, but only when perceived as dangerous. This slide, no problem, it's safe. Those "Sky Rides" (ones where your legs dangle out / slick plastic seat) that wobble over amusement parks ... fuuuuuuug I hate those. Love roller coasters though, but the seats are secure. I guess my sense of danger is over-exaggerated.

So what happens when someone drops their ceramic spark plug collection inside the slide ...

it looks really lame...maybe if it was longer and wrapped around the entire building but it looks like it is about 10 feet long.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
WAIT a minute, this is how you pay for your VR Headset!
You do the RL slide once with a video camera. Then have people ride down the local park kiddy slide and charge them the price for the real life slide cost.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
so 33$ to do this and about 2-3 hours of time. PFFFTTT! :rolleyes:

Back