RIAA: U.S. Copyright Law 'Isn't Working'

HardOCP News

[H] News
That massive wailing sound you hear is the is the RIAA crying again about how they need more of this and more of that because this isn’t working and neither is that.

The Recording Industry Association of America said on Monday that current U.S. copyright law is so broken that it "isn't working" for content creators any longer. RIAA President Cary Sherman said the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act contains loopholes that allow broadband providers and Web companies to turn a blind eye to customers' unlawful activities without suffering any legal consequences.

That massive wailing sound you hear is the is the RIAA crying again about how they need more of this and more of that because this isn’t working and neither is that.

Yeah, a law doesn't work when you can't pin the responsibility of one man breaking the law on another man. /sarcasm

These guys need to stop. While I am no fan of piracy, all of these measures to "protect the content" just make it harder for legitimate users to enjoy the product they purchased.

Here's a novel concept. How about, instead of trying to pass laws to stop the progression of society and technology, you adapt to it? Get innovative people!

the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act contains loopholes that allow broadband providers and Web companies to turn a blind eye to customers' unlawful activities without suffering any legal consequences.

So why are they suing people? That seems to work on all different kinds of stupid.

So why are they suing people? That seems to work on all different kinds of stupid.

They want to be also able to sue providers for the "Crimes" of users. Basically RIAA is a front organization for some fascist group that wants all content to be controlled by them. Good bye democracy.

Fuck the RIAA. They could care less about "content creators". They are only interested in lining their own pockets. Fuck the MPAA too. They can whine all they want. Until hollywood starts releasing GOOD films I have no sympathy for them. If I see one more remake film released I think I'm going to throw up.

One of the biggest problems the RIAA has now is that people can go out and digitally buy single songs. Why should someone have to fork out 10-15 bucks when the rest of the album probably sucks and they're only interested in one song? It's the industry's fault for not changing their business model. If they want to keep paying artists extravagant sums of money and waste hours in the studio coming up with new material (instead of bringing them into the studio when they actually have material to record) that's their own fault.

Fuck 'em.

Oh yeah... and pretty soon the RIAA will want royalties from you every time you hear a song in your head. Call it 'Conscious Playback Fee' or something..

Perhaps it is the consumers who should sue the RIAA for all the crap they have peddled on us over the years. How many people here bought a CD only to find 1 or 2 good songs out of 15? Yet the RIAA said it was a critically acclaimed album etc. Why don't they cry to Goldman Sachs for their pecentage of the TARP bailout since they obviously think they too are too big to fail. Their business model is obsolete and like another poster stated it is now time to innovate and move on. They are beating a dead horse.

Lets get rid of the RIAA and punch each member in the nuts/ovaries, to put an end to all this madness.

I had to say that!

someone needs to go to their headquarters with an ak-47 and just blast away listening to pirated U2

if artists actually got paid half way decently I could see a problem with 'pirating', but riaa and the companies under them are the real pirates selling off artists' works at normally over inflated prices and paying them next to nothing for doing so.

They are getting ridiculous. The RIAA will not be happy until you have to do a freaking retinal scan to listen to a song.

News flash, stop churning out shit artists and shit music for that one hit song, focus on the actual talent, bunch of auto-tuning asshats.

You're right, it's not working. Let's repeal it.

^^^This. They need to stop calling each download a theft and think of it as a lost sales opportunity. This is a marketing problem, not a legal one. Here's a thought. Entertainment should have a money back guarantee. If it sucks, give me my money back. Right now you can't listen to music before you pay for it and you can't return it. If I could return it I might be more likely to explore music I wouldn't otherwise give a listen to. I would pay for what I actually like because I would want that artist to benefit.

They are succeeding in making non-pirates more sympathetic to causes pirates believe in.

Arn't copyright violations suppose to be handled by the content holder and enforce by the courts? Copyright law doesn't work simply because people in the US are to damn cheap to buy anything, but expect top dollar wages

^^^This. They need to stop calling each download a theft and think of it as a lost sales opportunity.

this is another one of the major failures of legal argument of "each song stolen is X amount of money we dont get".

1 download does not equal one sale. the majority of people who download songs, download songs that they otherwise would never have purchased. sure some people are "stealing" in the sense of downloading something just to get out of having to pay for it, but a lot (unfortunately an unmeasurable number) download something simply because it is available to download in the first place.

maybe i want to try out a new video game, but am unsure if i will like it and play it all the way thru, or maybe i will hate it completely. i could gamble with $60, or download it, try it out, and if i like it il go spend that $60. if i hate the game, il just delete it. just because a person downloads something does not automatically mean its money out of someones pocket in lost sales.

I think it should be like games...after XX amount of years it becomes like vaporware...free. But you never really buy music. You buy a liscence to merely listen to it. If you read the disclaimer they still own all the rights to it and you can't even load it on your ipod or anything without their consent. Likewise listening to music at work on loudspeaker is also considered in violation of their liscence as the other people that are within earshot have not paid their liscencing fee to listen to it. The RIAA are the greediest kind of scum next to the banksters. The copyright law suggests that you can not resell any copied music or make it available for upload. There is no law preventing you from downloading it. Simply remove the downloaded music from your SHARED folder and it is now for your personal use and they can't do anything about it.

if they lowered the prices of discs to reasonable prices such as $5 per CD $10 per DVD, $15 for Blue-ray. Then few people would download stuff illegally.Disc media is not competing price wise with down-loadable content. They are not competing quality wise or price wise. you cannot blame the law of the land. You have to blame the Industry for exploiting people. You cannot blame people for sneaking in snacks to a ball game or a movie theater when they rape you. :eek: And charge you for what it would cost for a meal at Fridays. for a popcorn and soda. Disc based media is dead and is not competing with downloads. Plus its so easy to download stuff for free. Not to mention anime is grey market.:D

Meh, the internet will kill these buffoons off in time anyway. The artists, you know, the ones that actually create the content, are learning that a publisher is not as useful as they once were. (They only need 1-2 sales out of 10 to make as much as they would with a publisher) Thanks, to the internet, self publishing, and publishing co-ops can be a reality theses days. Setting up a storefront on the internet is fairly easy and cheap theses days.

The only thing keeping the industry in power, is their ass raping contracts with the artists, stupid artists that sign the contracts, industry created artists that suck, legal maneuvering that looks more like racketeering, and the CD. The CD is dying, contracts eventually expire, the law can only go against common sense for so long once the people notice, and people only suffer crap for so long when better is available.

I wonder what it will look like a decade from now?

south-park-dead-horse.jpg

seriously, find a new business model don't cry to the government which inevitably won't change your economic status and only result in less for the consumer and more frustrations...

cough ad supported media perhaps cough

Is there anyway we can really fight back at them? And I don't mean like a "fight the power, keep downloading illegally!" crap, but really stifle them in a legitimate way.

By RIAA's standard, we would hold weapon manufacturers accountable for the murders that are committed with their product. Seriously though, they need to just STFU and start working on rebuilding their public image instead of whining about potential profit loss.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the opening fire of the ACTA treaty battle. This is the first move to try to pave the way for its ratification.

Sure...send them a message...send them all your old scratched CD's and demand your money back for the liscence you will no longer be needing to listen to those songs. Also Sue them for content played on open airwaves that you did not purchase a liscecnce to listen to and that you don't like. XM subscribers need not apply since your liscence is part of your XM contract. Further more DOWNLOAD, DOWNLOAD, DOWNLOAD. Downloading is not theft so long as someone is giving it away, the theft is the purchase and redistributing for UPLOAD. You may have the "stolen property" in your shared folder....just remove it from that folder and it is now yours. Do what many others have done and send money directly to the artists if you feel their music is worth something to you. Do not give it to the RIAA fat cats that just buy gas for their Porsche's and Rolls Royce. The artists have been ripped off...the people have been ripped off. Time to lie in the bed they made.

We should be able to sue the power company too. After all, it's their energy that's allowing these pirates to steal all these songs! There's also all the people involved in selling the house to the person, getting the house built, buying the land, then there's the BLM for selling the land... Gotta be able to sue his mom for giving birth to him.

Toshiba for selling him the laptop he used. Microsoft for the OS... The list goes on and on. Maybe then the RIAA can offset the lost revenue of a changing world.

But seriously, they really need to EVOLVE. Change the way they do business... Because they're doing it SO wrong right now. They're clinging onto an archaic method. Ignoring the fact the world has changed. Making everybody into a criminal.

...I assume by "not working" they mean, "not allowing us to squeeze every last penny from crap we put out like Ke$ha".

I'd argue that current copyright law restricts innovation and max profit.

Look at when sampling was freely allowed, you had big money artists like Jay-Z, 2Pac, Notorious BIG make major labels tons of money and insire a new direction in the music industry. Heck, even other genres reaped the benefits (ranging from Fear Factory to the electronic music boom of the late 90s).

The fashion industry copes with knockoffs and still manages to make big money! Heck, even the perfume industry is barely affected. Free market economics take hold and people still buy full priced Armani suits regardless of how many copies are out there. I'd also argue that knockoffs are a more realistic example of IP theft than the shoplifting comparison to begin with.

It seems that this is the big dirty secret of our American capitalism. ...pushing for a "free market" to benefit our needs, only to try to change the rules mid-game when failed attempts don't fit the free market model.

Translation: We can't railroad people anymore, so we wanna cry about it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, see, I think paying your lawyers $16M to recover $391k "isn't working" either. :p Morons.

RIAA = Ridiculous Ineffective Archaic *ssholes

They know they are loosing the fight big time so now want to change the rules. Loosers.

Translation: We can't railroad people anymore, so we wanna cry about it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, see, I think paying your lawyers $16M to recover $391k "isn't working" either. :p Morons.

No, no, you are translating it all wrong.

The proper translation:

We tried suing the consumer into obeying us, and all we did was lose mountains of money for nothing. We want to be able to sue the companies with deep pockets now so we can get some of those giant piles of money back.

Of course, RIAA being RIAA, they don't seem to grasp that they are attacking an industry much wealthier than theirs at the lobbying level. So now instead of vaporizing their own money with lawyers, they will be vaporizing it with lobbyists.

Is there anyway we can really fight back at them? And I don't mean like a "fight the power, keep downloading illegally!" crap, but really stifle them in a legitimate way.

yeah, stop supporting artists that support/are supported by the RIAA and the major recording labels. :)

ISPs not being responsible for policing the web is the whole freaking point. If we start saying the ISP should be responsible for policing the content they are delivering, then we need to say the phone company is responsible for listening in on every conversation it carries and make sure no one is playing a copyrighted song over the phone, or slandering (or is that liable) anyone either.

The idea that a communications service has to police what goes over it's wires is insane.

ISPs not being responsible for policing the web is the whole freaking point. If we start saying the ISP should be responsible for policing the content they are delivering, QUOTE]

You could argue that they are not the ones delivering the content, they are simply a means of connecting to the org that is hosting/delivering the information

You could argue that they are not the ones delivering the content, they are simply a means of connecting to the org that is hosting/delivering the information

They are no different than the telcos. They are merely the medium used to exchange info. ISPs should have the same safe harbors that the telcos have enjoyed for decades.

Back