RIAA Says Personal Copies Are “Unauthorized”

HardOCP News

[H] News
You are not going to believe this one. The RIAA claims that copying your legally purchased CD to your PC is an infringement. Huh?!?! I am quite literally astounded that there hasn’t been a national uprising against these guys by now...or at the very least, a nationwide music boycott to send a message loud and clear that we are not giving up our rights to fair use.

The RIAA's brief makes the novel contention, contradicting its lawyers' arguments at the Supreme Court in MGM v. Grokster, that making personal copies of songs from one's CD onto one's computer is an infringement.

And people wonder why they are the most hated organization on the planet. Go after the pirates all you want but leave us normal music people alone…jeez. :mad:

What's next, will they say that syncing your purchased iTunes music to your iPod is an infringment? Pretty similar result the way I see it. Just rediculous...

I hate the RIAA so much

remember to bring your RIAA Radar whenever buying music!

Yeah, right. The law says otherwise. :mad:

Really, I don't know why I worry, as I don't buy any of their music. All my stuff is Indie, and the small bit of RIAA stuff I do buy, I get it from AllofMP3 for the express reason of sticking it to them. :p

So if I copy my CDs to my CD player's buffer is THAT an infringement?

Seriously, are they going to distinguish between RAM and HDs? If so, is it legal to copy it to a solid state disk?

What morons.

The problem boils down to this conflict. Are you buying media that happens to have music on it or are you the right to listen to that music. I view it as I am buying the right to listen to that music.

In all seriousness, how do you recognize an RIAA product? Is there a marking on the CD case or does iTunes/Amazon denote something?

I think the RIAA are being completly stupid about this, in my opinion once you buy a cd you own the cd and you should be able to do what you like with it aslong as it is for your use.

What idiots. As if they weren't pissing people off enough by suing everyone, they have to stick it to the LEGITIMATE consumer. Way to go jackasses. :mad:

i think most average people that own cd's have some kind of mp3 player/ipod. if you are no longer to rip cd's to upload onto the player the only other option is downloading, which is also disallowed unless you download legal mp3's off itunes and pay twice for the cd you allready have.

Personally I buy music through Napster. Some of the files are DRM encrypted, but since I purchased the song, I entitled myself to removing the DRM using this wonderful piece of software called Tunebite which is legal.

To clarify, it's illegal if Tunebite was to hack the DRM code and removed it, which they don't. They merely make a non-DRM copy of the song you have by recording it again while playing it.

In my POV, it's no different from ripping purchased CDs into your computer. You already bought and paid for it. Fair use :D

Unauthorize this RIAA ,,!,,

their efforts arnt going to get anywhere, the people that are determined to pirate will allways find a way around, just take a look at all the people uploading cracked games onto bitorrent.

Soon... Very soon the RIAA is going to get what they deserve. I just have that feeling;)

If they keep on taking the piss like this more people will start illigal downloading i think.

So basically, if you pirate or share music, you are a criminal. If you actually buy their overpriced CD and copy it for YOUR own use, you are a criminal...:mad: The shear amount of BS they are spinning should be punishable by death.

As I have said, FINE, I really have no problem downloading music either for free or sources like mp3sparks that are outside of their control that I know are in no way supporting RIAA.

It doesn't matter though, the recording industry are bleeding out as they have totally lost control of music distribution, despite their scare tactics and lawsuits. None of it has done anything to help them, just make them hated by their customers and more defiant than ever for the last 3 years. Obscurity will be finding some new friends soon.

You know, I tend to pretty much just stand by and watch all this crap unfold, while buying music I like and putting it all on my PC to actually listen to (hell of a lot better randomizing a list of 100 hours of music than shuffling CDs all the time).. This just makes me want to say fuck it. They get you up the ass whether you pay for it or not. Why bother paying for the privilege?

Hmm so if you want a cd in the car you have to buy it from a store, and if you want it on your computer also you have to buy it again from an online estore :mad:

If you can't legally rip the CD, why buy it? What are you purchasing when you buy a CD, the music or the disc? If I play the CD in a boombox, and record it with a mic, is that illegal too? Where does it all end? Being the only music cartel on the block and owning many legislators, the RIAA can pretty much do/say whatever they want. Thankfully some music labels are beginning to see the light and are abandoning them. They serve no purpose other than to protect corperate greed and to destroy the fair use rights of the consumer.

In the end who does the RIAA effect except the odd person they jack for it and the big bitorrent search engines.

I actually went and read the brief from the RIAA (21 pages), and I can *not* find where they claim that merely making a copy of a CD onto your hard drive constitutes infringement. Their claim is that, if you copy a CD to a P-2-P "shared" folder, then that constitutes infringement. It isn't the act of making a copy that they object to, but the act of making a copy that is then freely available to download. The entire thrust of their argument is that putting a copy of their stuff in your shared folder is, by definition, distribution of content (which is arguable, but does have some legal backing).

I *do not* like the RIAA for the stuff they pull, but the claim they are making is much less drastic that what the story makes it appear.

Back