RIAA Makes Drastic Employee Cuts as Revenue Plummets

The only bad thing about it that some of their employees will be getting laid off who really are just there to pay their bills like the person that takes calls for someone or the people that fix their computers (if they're directly employed by them).

Anyone who takes a job with a company they know to be despicable, and those who later learn their company or association is despicable and stays, are just as guilty as the company. They company can't do such despicable things without people to actually do them. <snip>

Or how about work for a company that many think is evil, and do good? I work for one of the major banks, and I'm in their mortgage division. Nothing has crossed my desk that I would feel was "despicable" and anything I had even the slightest problem with I barked up the chain until I could fix it to what I thought was right. So far I'm 100% on my activism within the company and have had countless people who's mortgages I've worked on thank me for going out of my way to help them. Is my company's record spotless? Far from it. That doesn't mean that I can't do the best job possible to help everyone involved.

People are going to take the jobs no matter what. So why not be the person who rocks the boat and starts making things better?

As for the RIAA - almost guarenteed the people that got fired weren't the ones suing everyone or making the big decisions. It's always the average joe working for a paycheck that gets axed first. I feel sorry for those people, but I can't feel sorry for the company itself failing.

I suppose their business model of of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for suing minors for sharing 7 songs hasn't exactly added to the coffers. Besides, they have also accused 1000's of seniors of file sharing crimes that all get tossed out of court due to the fact they don't even know what file sharing is and have never done it. They are a typical shakedown company who threatens Americans and in most cases tries to extort monies from unsuspecting innocent people who would just rather pay a small fine to the extorter than actually go to court and most likely have it tossed. FWIW Nigerian Scammers are more sophisticated.

The RIAA is practically an agency of the US government given their dicks are tied together. They'll just get bailed out if they fail. Either way it's nice to see them struggling.

In my opinion, we need expulsion laws for companies and people who abuse the legal system to target citizens or lobby for personal wealth. White collar crime / corruption needs to have extremely severe punishments if the country is going to make it another century without a massive uprising.

Sad news for the people that lost their jobs. Happy news about their loss of revenue.

Nobified[H];1039900524 said:
They serve no purpose but to annoy customers!

Especially the customers knows as music artists. If anything, they exist purely to steal a large portion of earnings from artists through strongarm bully tactics and forced contracts. They need to seriously revise how they interact with the artists, or just go away altogether, imo.

Its never good when people lose employment but this is the RIAA...

I'm pretty sure I would be ok if I heard in the new that their HQ imploded.

"I was just doing my job," is the classic Nuremberg Defense, and "It's just a paycheck to me" and "It's just business, nothing personal" are mere variations. The RIAA and its employees have committed far less serious crimes than the war criminals tried at Nuremberg, but that's merely incidental, and it does nothing to legitimize a logically invalid defense. I'll save my sympathy for people who actually deserve it.

Well, there are two types, one that really is just working there to get a paycheck, and really don't like the idea of it. And there are people that don't care they're basically raping others in terms of money/livelihood, or am glad of it.
You'll never really be able to differentiate them unless you know them personally.

In my opinion, we need expulsion laws for companies and people who abuse the legal system to target citizens or lobby for personal wealth. White collar crime / corruption needs to have extremely severe punishments if the country is going to make it another century without a massive uprising.

People.. Congress, aren't going to cut away their paycheck... their REAL paycheck. So that isn't likely to happen. No doubt, as seen in past trials, judges and lawyers neither. There has been some seemingly better judges in the news recently though, which is awesome!

Back