RIAA Blames Someone Else For Pirating Movies

HardOCP News

[H] News
The RIAA, after being caught red handed pirating movies, is claiming that someone else did it! Heh, didn't we say they were going to pull that crap? Funny how it's okay for the RIAA to use that excuse but, you and I both know, the average person would be on the hook for millions in fines using the very same "evidence."

A few days ago we reported that no less than 6 IP-addresses registered to the RIAA had been busted for downloading copyrighted material. Quite a shocker to everyone – including the music industry group apparently – as they are now using a defense previously attempted by many alleged file-sharers. It wasn’t members of RIAA staff who downloaded these files, the RIAA insists, it was a mysterious third party vendor who unknowingly smeared the group’s good name.

I wonder what their corporate address is. Poopsenders sounds enticing.

This is hypocracy at it's finest. This excuse would never work for the basic user.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a deliberate action of an individual or a group, to make the RIAA look bad. This may just prove to be ammunition in somebody's future defense case against the RIAA. I love it :)

So if a pirate tries to blame someone else, the RIAA doesn't buy it. If the RIAA tries to blame someone else, they just have to be telling the truth, right? :rolleyes:

Maybe the perp wishes to be anonymous.... BTW Who would ever tarnish the RIAA??? They are such a reputable group... Shame on on the person/persons that did the deed.

This is hypocracy at it's finest. This excuse would never work for the basic user.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a deliberate action of an individual or a group, to make the RIAA look bad. This may just prove to be ammunition in somebody's future defense case against the RIAA. I love it :)

i would heartily agree with that and the guy who "pirated" the wolverine movies gets a year in prison what kind of bs is that. The movie wasn't even that great to begin with, same with fucking hurtlocker. God that movie was atrocious

Yea, I don't think this will help their "cause" much. They didn't have many friends to begin with, but this will taint their image even more. I'm sure they can still buy senators and judges, though.

Personally, I think that the hacker groups and pirating groups are going to go ape shit over this and what happens next. If they get off scot free, then the RIAA will get their hair full of shit.

I wonder how much publicity the media would give it if thousands of batches of poopsenders items showed up there. Get a huge group order together and have it all delivered on one day with media and cameras waiting. That'll put the story on the front page of the media outlets that aren't paid off. :)

i would heartily agree with that and the guy who "pirated" the wolverine movies gets a year in prison what kind of bs is that. The movie wasn't even that great to begin with, same with fucking hurtlocker. God that movie was atrocious

Wolverine, I can see. But, it I think it was more of a theft (theft of workprint) than a piracy thing. BTW: I liked that movie. Could have been better, but it was good.

Hurtlocker was all about recovering lost income. Same with Far Cry the movie. The movie sucked so bad, they had to sue to make enough to cover the costs of the film.

I hope they get the shit sued out of them. Greedy ass bastards. I hope defendants of piracy cases can use this fact to aid their case.

so, is the RIAA going to reduce their own fines from 20 million to 20 thousand dollars per completed download based on the "someone else did it" defense ? They are still going to pay for the infringing files, right ? RIGHT ???

Everyone needs to keep this story as evidence so if they are accused they can say, "Here, see this!?"

so, is the RIAA going to reduce their own fines from 20 million to 20 thousand dollars per completed download based on the "someone else did it" defense ? They are still going to pay for the infringing files, right ? RIGHT ???
I'd say closer to 20 cents (more likely 2 cents).

Go ahead, let them set the legal precedent that the "somebody else did it" defense is valid!

:D

RIAA = Repugnant Imbeciles of American Assholes :rolleyes:

Yes, I just made that up right now. :D

Go ahead, let them set the legal precedent that the "somebody else did it" defense is valid!

:D

It'll only become a legal precedent if the MPAA takes them to court (and they win using it)...

We all know that's not going to happen. They're practically brothers in arms for the war to stop piracy...

I think they should just use their own belief that an "IP = a person who owns the account". Thus, whoever had the account that downloaded it (most likely a corporate account, if it came from their network) is 100% guilty.

The workprint of wolverine should have been an example to hollywood of what viewers want to see as "bonus content" on disk.

You got to see partially completely scenes, different techniques for special effects, the POV of the actor trying to act to what is sometimes nothing (replaced by cgi later), etc etc.

I enjoyed the workprint for this reason and this reason only. The movie itself blew.

If I were in court fighting a piracy suit about now, I would have my lawyer present this as evidence that even the RIAA doesn't truly believe that IP addresses are sufficient proof to show that someone has pirated content.

Wolverine, I can see. But, it I think it was more of a theft (theft of workprint) than a piracy thing. BTW: I liked that movie. Could have been better, but it was good.

Hurtlocker was all about recovering lost income. Same with Far Cry the movie. The movie sucked so bad, they had to sue to make enough to cover the costs of the film.

how was it lost income if the people who watched weren't going to pay to see the movie to begin with.

how was it lost income if the people who watched weren't going to pay to see the movie to begin with.

Ok, my bad. It wasn't lost income in that people were actually going to go watch it in theaters. It was lost income because the movie tanked so bad they had to sue to get the numbers up. They would never had made any money if they didn't sue anyone.

Quite frankly, "it was someone else" wasn't good enough for the thousands they've sued so it shouldn't be good enough for them.

Now every single lawyer who represents someone getting sued by the RIAA will be able to point to this in court.

What's good for the goose...

If they wanted to make an example and show no exemptions, they should have a 3rd party look at whom inside the RIAA actually downloaded these files.

That would show, we don't tolerate it, and our employees will get consequences if they choose to break the copywrite law.

so all those ppl that got burned by the RIAA, they might be able to point thos this case.

Nice to see the RIAA cartel further exposed for their hypocrisy and thuggery.

well the RIAA are not going to investigate themselves there just going to blame the janitor and keep handing out million dollar tickets to the rest of us business as usual. :(

^How so? They don't have to pay any damages. These guys don't have to do jack. You seem to be assuming that something will happen with this. They'll just get called names, and it'll be business as usual. Of course, the MPAA can press charges, but that's unlikely to happen.

A few days ago we reported that no less than 6 IP-addresses registered to the RIAA had been busted for downloading copyrighted material.
What TorrentFreak should have reported is that no fewer than 6 IP addresses registered to the RIAA had been busted for downloading copyrighted material.

Back