RIAA Accuses CNET Of Hosting ‘Pirate’ Software

HardOCP News

[H] News
The RIAA accusing CBS of aiding piracy? This should be interesting. Pass the popcorn please. ;)

Several prominent music groups including the RIAA, A2IM and ASCAP have accused CNET of hosting infringing apps on Download.com. In a letter sent to the CEO of parent company CBS, the groups urge the company to reconsider whether it's wise to offer "ripping" software.

Meh. Not like it won't be available everywhere else. Plus I'm sure if you Google'd for something like that you'd get someone's blog that lists all of the good ones and where to download them directly.

And no one goes after apple for iTunes that has had an option to 'rip' music since day one.

FYI: This is not a jab at apple. Just sick of the double standards when it comes to some software.

There's an acronym I haven't heard in a while... pity it didn't remain that way.

UM... These idiots do know that "ripping" software is embedded as a part of Windows, right?

Again more stupidity. This is like saying that gun stores should not carry guns. Guns can kill people. If I were CBS I would fax the RIAA and other bullshit groups a very large middle finger.

CD ripping and the software to do so is very legal as long as there is no DRM on the CD. Since CDs first began selling, only an elite few have had DMR installed on them.

CD ripping and the software to do so is very legal as long as there is no DRM on the CD. Since CDs first began selling, only an elite few have had DMR installed on them.

And most of the time it went horribly wrong. Look at Sony Music circa 2004. F'ing rootkit with lousy security. They got hammered for it. Didn't even ask people within other groups if it was good. One of those Russian PoS DRM systems.

you can use a knife to kill someone lets sue all store that sells knives...

With that mentality i foresee a very changed future. :eek:

making a copy of something you own isnt illegal, so what's the problem?

According to the RIAA it is. I recall a case where an RIAA lawyer stated so directly a few years ago, so you are a pirate if you did so.

you can use a knife to kill someone lets sue all store that sells knives...

With that mentality i foresee a very changed future. :eek:
You can use a finger to kill. Let's sue humanity out of existence. Sticks and stones? Sue the Planet!

Again more stupidity. This is like saying that gun stores should not carry guns. Guns can kill people. If I were CBS I would fax the RIAA and other bullshit groups a very large middle finger.

Kind of like what this guy drew up for his boss?

I may not own the copyright for music I purchased but I sure as hell own the cd of the music. I can do whatever I want with that music for my own personal use no matter what anyone says.

If I didn't own the CD after buying it then I would have never bought it in the first place. I will rip it, then convert it to whatever format I want and listen to it on any platform I want as I already purchased said product. There is no arguing that fact, there just isn't. And if you think there is a basis for argument well, fuck you too.

I will do the same with my movies I bought as well not just music. If it's Blue-ray, DVD, etc I don't care, I bought it. I payed hard earned money for whatever enjoyment I wanted. You cannot possibly expect anyone to pay over and over for the same damned thing just on a different medium when that person can just do it themselves.

/end rant

Meh, whatever this world is full of shit anyways.

The last time I tried, Windows Media Player could rip CDs, too.

They aren't complaining about CD ripping software, they are complaining about software that allows you to download youtube etc. and "rip" "streams".

Not that RIAA should do anything but die in a fire, but at least they seem to ahve stopped bitching about people ripping CDs they paid for.

Fuck CNET. Used to be good back in the day, now just malware, spyware and bullshit.
If you try to push a 'download manager' on me, I go elsewhere.

E.g. fine sites like chip.de etc...

I have a web browser and download managers which are perfectly capable to handle the task, fuck you very much. The sooner CNET dies, the sooner my google results are better, without manually excluding them each time.

They aren't complaining about CD ripping software, they are complaining about software that allows you to download youtube etc. and "rip" "streams".

Not that RIAA should do anything but die in a fire, but at least they seem to ahve stopped bitching about people ripping CDs they paid for.
Yeah, I skimmed first and figured that out later. It's still a bunch of crap, not necessarily because people should have the "right" to record streams but because most streams people watch are either free or paid for; there isn't a big market for recorded streams since people continue to rip CDs and BDs with much higher quality.

This stinks of lawyers looking for something to bill someone for.

Back