RHEL Certs

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
They are fantastically expensive, ~$4k a pop. Anyone feel it made a difference on their resume? Was thinking of starting with RHCSA, the baseline sys admin cert. I have RHCT, but that is a really old cert at this point.

I also find it interesting the LPIC1 and Linux+ certs are the same now.

The certs themselves are less than 1/10th that price -- are you looking at bootcamps?

No, I was on the Red hat site. You are correct though, it's $400 for the exam, and $4k for the online course and exam, which is what I was looking at. Still fairly pricey for an cert, but not nearly as bad as I thought.

Yup. Add the cost of a book and the time to do the labs yourself, it's not cheap, but the certs are also hands on so unlike say CompTIA, they carry a bit of weight.

Also when looking at RHCSA, look at the RHEL 7 version if you aren't already -- the RHEL 8 version is going to be on a different set of topics to the point that it'd be worthwhile to do both, potentially.

I'm looking at RHEL 7 now myself.

Just my opinion, but most places that are demanding a cert for getting hired have absolutely lost control of their Linux side and they don't know anything, so... they're trying their best to "hire" without knowledge. Sure, that's not always going to be the case, but IMHO, it's the majority case.

With that said, those kind of places can be the most fun as there's a lot to figure out and a lot to address. But of course, you have to be a member (cert) to join in the fun.

And with that said, Linux certs can have limited shelf life. If you're solely relying on "cert knowledge", a person with RH Cert circa RHEL 5 might not know what they need to know on RHEL 8 (for example). You have the same sorts of problem with most any cert though.

Well, the issue between RHEL7 and RHEL8 is that Red Hat is focusing so much on the cloud that they're pushing those skills to a lower level, really in place of actual systems administration.

What's good for RHEL7 will be good in the industry for a good bit longer unless you're working with cloud stuff, in which case either you need it for your shop or you're pursuing AWS certs, for example.

Just my opinion, but most places that are demanding a cert for getting hired have absolutely lost control of their Linux side and they don't know anything, so... they're trying their best to "hire" without knowledge. Sure, that's not always going to be the case, but IMHO, it's the majority case.

With that said, those kind of places can be the most fun as there's a lot to figure out and a lot to address. But of course, you have to be a member (cert) to join in the fun.

And with that said, Linux certs can have limited shelf life. If you're solely relying on "cert knowledge", a person with RH Cert circa RHEL 5 might not know what they need to know on RHEL 8 (for example). You have the same sorts of problem with most any cert though.

Ya, what started me down this path was a rack buildout I was doing for a company and the tech off handedly was complaining they have not had a linux guy in years and they were having a lot of trouble with the rhel 7 systems on the network. I helped them out with some of their problems while I was there, but this was a very large, very major company and if they have a need, many others likely do as well.

Back