RGB LED SSDs are Good for Gaming

I like RGB, it's cool and colorful. Better than boring plain metal.

Not sure I understand the title of this article. I guess it's sarcasm.

Case makers will have to design their cases away from hiding SSD's in the rear of the case now so customers can display their new RGB SSD's.

My space heater has RGB lights.

We can at least agree on the same weather station. :) (I got the same one on my desk.)

I personally don't care much one way or the other. All my stuff is in a windowless case and the case is in the computer compartment with the door closed.

I like RBG. I don't rainbow anything, but i do like getting \ nice colour going in my case.
So if people want everything RGB. no issues with that.
I only have an RGB strip in the chassis, and the GPU has some RGB on it. Thats about it

My comment is not limited to people in this thread and I am not claiming or saying anyone here is. Hiwever, I have seen umpteen times people saying we should ban it. I hate it so remove it. Screw rgb they should ban it etc.... time and time again.

Yes there are members on every forum like this. It's like people who want to ban free speech because something someone might say offends them. Well there are those same kind of people that want to ban a whole product segment because they dont like the way it looks.

Those people should know, there is a way to turn off RGB LEDs. They're optional.

my only "drive" is a smasung NVMe 1TB drive. I dont think you can even add RGB to it.. especially since its under a heat sink.

all other storage is on my NAS

oh.. RGB NAS devices.. there you go!!

I told everyone this sort of loosy-goosey LED nonsense was going to happen if we trod away from the perfectly fine beige beauties. Slippery slope from sinfully black cases, exposed up skirt internals with side panels, case fans with LEDs, to ram, to now hard drives. That's right folks we got trouble, oh we got trouble! Right here in CPU City! With a capital "T" that rhymes with "L-E-D".

upload_2019-1-22_11-0-28.png

Splendid Dreamy Aurora?!?

Maybe RGB hate is more marketing fail then a trend that some people just don't like. I've got plenty of RGB that I like, but that video right there it cringey.

My whole thing is this: I think beauty lies in form arising solely from function. I like sussing out the purpose of a thing by its form. RGB lighting is the equivalent of fake air intakes on cars . . . or breast implants.

I don't care for case lighting at all but as long as the hardware vendors provide parts that don't have RGB, I have no problems. I don't want to pay for a feature that I will never use. My computer case is a Fractal Define R5 (no window) Blackout.

Doom 3, the fans and LEDs breath and/or respond to sounds. Its a work in progress.
Its not a bright as it appears in the gif. It adds a lot to the ambiance.

ShadowyCreativeButterfly-size_restricted.gif

RGB doesn't always have to be a ravie distraction. Now that we have addressable RGB on z3xx and 450s theres a lot of cool atmospheric stuff you can do. unfortunately my boards a z270 so no addressable headers for me I have to use a usb controller.

I don't know if I'll ever go to stuff like RGB memory or SSD. Its too expensive and kinda locks you into buying gear you may not like. Id rather they just do drive/ram covers more.

Last edited:
Doom 3, the fans and LEDs breath and/or respond to sounds. Its a work in progress.
Its not a bright as it appears in the gif. It adds a lot the ambiance.

View attachment 136703

RGB doesn't always have to a ravie distraction. Now that we addressable RGB z3xx and 450s there a lot of cool atmospheric stuff you can do. unfortunately my boards a z270 so no addressable headers for me I have to use a usb controller.

I don't know if I'll ever go to stuff like RGB memory or SSD. Its too expensive and kinda locks you into buying gear you may not like. Id rather they just do drive/ram covers more.

Tell me more!

I’m have 2 white leds in my case, on the reservoir so I can see the water when it’s on. That’s two more than I’d like.

I swear to god my next case is going to be a plain beige tower. I’m gonna do my man cave like some kind of Stranger Things 80s homage.

I’ll still put a $6k PC in it ofc and it definitely has to have a Turbo button (that does nothing)

Reactions: Joust
like this
I’m have 2 white leds in my case, on the reservoir so I can see the water when it’s on. That’s two more than I’d like.

I swear to god my next case is going to be a plain beige tower. I’m gonna do my man cave like some kind of Stranger Things 80s homage.

I’ll still put a $6k PC in it ofc and it definitely has to have a Turbo button (that does nothing)

Asus has you covered with turbo buttons that actually work!

What ever happened to the idea of putting rgb behind your display or tv to sync up and accentuate scenes in movies and games. That seemed like a cool idea.
It's still a thing. My PG27UQ does this with Aura Sync. I honestly think it doesn't add much to the experience, so I don't use it. It may be because my walls are not painted white.

Even dumber than most other parts with lights. A lot of cases these days mount SATA form factor SSDs behind the motherboard tray to make the case clean and have good air flow. So unless you have glass on both sides you won't even see it.

The thing that bugs me about RGB lighting is, it is added to hardware to make it look futuristic, copying what we see in various sci-fi movies. But all the glowing lights we see in those movies supposedly arise from some unexplained function, not for decoration. Real world use of RGB lighting is just mindless bling for the most part.

Dude! You had me at mindless!

I'm a UV guy. I miss motherboards that had UV-reactive PCI/PCIe slots and various other brackets and whatnot. I never had any UV-reactive fans but I wanted some in my college days. I used to use UV-reactive IDE and SATA cables. Thought about painting some components/areas of my cases with UV-reactive paint, but never did. I like UV-reactive dye in the water for watercooled systems. I still use cold cathode blacklights in my PC today. Aside from some single-color LED fans, I don't have much going on with lighting or color. My case's side-window has a dark tint on it, which is enough to give me a nice low glow from the blacklights and LED fans without being overpowering. It's still pretty dang dark in the case, despite 4 blacklights and 4 LED fans. Oh and the H100i's pump/waterblock unit has a Corsair logo with RGB lighting, which I usually keep on a single color. My K70 keyboard has RGB backlighting which I use to set specific keys a certain color. I was fine with single-color keyboard backlighting, but I got this keyboard for Xmas one year, and being able to set colors on a per-key basis has been pretty nifty (my brother was the opposite, he had a DAS Keyboard that was all-black with no markings anywhere on the keyboard or on the keycaps, but he spilled something on it and destroyed it, and now he has a K70 with red backlighting, which he turns off if he feels like having an all-black keyboard again). I was also a big fan of windows on HDDs but I never owned any such drives myself. Oh, the X-Fi has a white-lit "X-Fi" logo, I barely even notice that. Completely forgot about it. Don't mind any function-serving lights that appear on motherboards. I like those.

I do think the whole RGB craze has gone a bit overboard though, and there are just some components (like SSDs) that I feel have absolutely no need for RGB lighting. Surprised to see RGB-lit SSDs selling a decent amount. I had a Logitech G500s mouse die on me, and it was replaced under warranty by a G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB mouse. Really don't think a mouse needs RGB lighting, but can't say it really bothers me either. Plus yeah, if you don't like the lighting on something, you can just turn it off. DIMMs can look cool when done well, more towards the subtle direction (some of today's DIMMs have too-massive lightbars on them). Lighting can look good on a motherboard IF manufacturers reign it in a bit, and do something more tasteful and subtle. Definitely don't need displays with RGB lighting on them or anything like that. I guess I just feel that lighting shouldn't be the main attraction/focus of a PC or any individual component. Some PCs look like they were specifically built to be light shows, and that ain't right to me. Personally I wouldn't pay more or sacrifice performance for the sake of lighting. Seems backwards. Performance and build quality first. My SSDs are basically hidden inside my case, if they had lighting, that would just go to waste. Lighting on storage devices just seems excessive.

Unrelated, I really enjoy the HDD activity light and WiFi light on the fat PS3 (don't know if any of the later smaller models have them).

I used to hate the whole RGB scene, but last system I built I went for it. Now pmuch every accessory I own has RGB going for it. I'll pay the few extra bucks to have a setup I like to look at and mess around with. If it isnt for you, no skin off my back.

I'm planning to take the shells off the SSDs in my next SFF build so you can see the PCBs. I guess it's all just a matter of what sort of machine you want to build.

It would look cool in an open case, but most SSD PCB inside the case are unsightly at best. You also have to take care of proper heatsinking as SSD case is used as a heatsink and in many cases is required. Nermind voiding the warranty. I personally don't sink that reducing heatsinkage in an SFF build is a good idea as cooling is already pretty lackluster. I do love seeing inside the components and have a collection of old hard drives from the 80's and 90's that have beautiful PCB's. :)

I will take a pic of my REAL RGB madness downstairs on the threadripper 2950x later this evening.

For now I just built this 2600x about a month ago. I haven't worked on it anymore but there is so much more RGB goodness I am going to toss in this thing once I get around to it.

I also have my Caselabs Th10 magnum which is just gathering dust. It was a real cool LED case back in the day. However, the plastic window is just too small and scratched. Maybe one of these days I will hire someone to laser cut a much larger window and get some darkened tempered glass to put on it.

20190122-191903.jpg

With the way technology is going, so it'll be 80% of the physical space is taken up with flashy LED's, 10% cooling, and 10% actual hardware.

Which company has the best RGB software? Gigabyte's RGB software is garbage for many different reasons. First, they updated their RGB Fusion that took away the option to change the LED color to match the CPU temps. Second, can't sync lights with my Gigabyte RTX 2060 and X470 mobo.

ASUS probably has the most mature RGB platform though Aura Sync still has its issues. If you want something a bit more vendor agnostic NZXT's Hue is probably next on the list. I like EVGA's LED Sync control panel, but LED Sync only works with EVGA products and it can be finicky at times. I've had it desync the LEDs in my card and AIO a few times, requiring a restart of either LED Sync or Precision X.

The thing that bugs me about RGB lighting is, it is added to hardware to make it look futuristic, copying what we see in various sci-fi movies. But all the glowing lights we see in those movies supposedly arise from some unexplained function, not for decoration. Real world use of RGB lighting is just mindless bling for the most part.

You can use iCue software to change the colour based on CPU or GPU Temps if that makes you feel better about them not being functional... One side of the top bar of my K95 is CPU temperature and the other GPU goes orange to red along the top when playing a game (50c CPU, 71c GPU)

RGB absolutely improves the gaming experience, so much so that I'm now partially removing the green marker rings on my old CDs and adding in blue and red. The audio quality improvement is astounding.

It's like badging your car for extra HP. lol

Back