Rewiring Vintage 3-Way Lamp

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I rescued another relic from the depths of the garbage man. Anyway I never seen this configuration in a lamp before so that's why I need the help. The configuration is (I take the socket was replaced with a normal 3-way socket because they are easier to find) a socket with no switch and the switch is on the base of the lamp, The switch has 3 wires coming out of it (black, blue, red) and there are 3 wires going up the lamp stem (Red, White, Black) So what type of socket do I need? I want to restore the lamp back to it original beauty First cleaning, Polishing and then rewiring. I know I could take the easy way out and just put a normal socket in it but I rather restore it to its original function

Those bulbs are commonly referred to as "Tri-Lite" bulbs. Leviton probably makes a socket.

Look up lighting suppliers in the phone book, the types of places that sell commercial light fixtures, and call around - if they don't stock it, they might be able to order in one for you.

Thanks gee I figured it out
The Switch is as follows
Black wire = Hot from cord
Red wire = L1 (the lower wattage filament)
Blue wire = L2 (the higher wattage filament)

Switch works as follows L1-L2-L1+L2-Off

I also replaced the cord as the old one was non polarized and was burnt (There was evidence of a short circuit in the base probably why it was thrown out but I cleaned it up and re-wired it and its good as "New"

and yes I found a socket from Leviton it has 3 screws and no switch
Will post pics later as my camera is charging

My camera is done charging here are pictures of the lamp for all that asked and a 3-Way CFL

3-wayCFL.jpg

lamp_wiring.jpg

lamp_switch.jpg

lamp.jpg

Ah, now I finally get the 3-way part :D first time I have seen one.

That's one huge lamp, BTW :eek:

Back