Reward: Lost Quad Copter

dunno how much those things cost -- but neglecting to put the reward amount would make me not give a crap.

Whoever was piloting it must suck at flying. How do you lose something like that when you should be keeping visual contact the entire time?

And this is just my opinion but the tone of the lost and found flyer seems a bit accusational. (if that's even a word)

Throwing in the "gets GPS lock as soon as it's charged up" sounds to me like he's saying "im going to track you down and whoop your ass if you plug the thing in". Some regular street kid or crackhead would see that and say "fuck it" and just throw it in the garbage.

Throwing in the "gets GPS lock as soon as it's charged up" sounds to me like he's saying "im going to track you down and whoop your ass if you plug the thing in". Some regular street kid or crackhead would see that and say "fuck it" and just throw it in the garbage.

Or a craiglist post: Broken Quad Copter, for parts only $40 OBO.

This appears to be the quad copter in question.
http://www.hobbywow.com/en-dji-phan...istAds&id=18283950120&currency=usd&country=US

Not as expensive as I was thinking. If I found it on my property, I would "accidentally run over it, claim it was crash damage, and then call in for the reward.

I am left to assume the owner of said copter had my house under surveillance for reasons that do not benefit me. The broken copter can serve as a warning.

What's it with all you ... is there a polite word for this... a*holes that want to destroy people's property just because you don't like it?

Do not f*ing get it.

If you are crashing your mobile privacy invasion device onto my property, oh well.
Don't like it, don't crash it on my property.

What's it with all you ... is there a polite word for this... a*holes that want to destroy people's property just because you don't like it?

Do not f*ing get it.

As gorankar said, I don't take favorably to a flying surveillance drone being flown onto/over/near my property. Feel free to film public parks / buildings / whatever, but as soon as I see those in communities they are a modern day peeping tom, one that might happen to have a strange magnetism towards a nine iron.

If you are crashing your mobile privacy invasion device onto my property, oh well.
Don't like it, don't crash it on my property.

Mobile invasion device? I'm going to assume you know little or nothing about RC quad-copters, or just RC's in general, I think you are nothing more than paranoid over stupid media hype.

I just don't understand the way you and people like you think about RC heli's, it's not like these people are going out of their way to invade your privacy. Sorry to break it to you, but you're just not important to be spied on.

As for crashing, it happens. All RC's consist of a Battery, Electronic Speed Controller (ESC), receiver, and motor's. Failure can happen anytime, anywhere. Being an asshole and smashing someone's property cause you think it's a "Mobile Invasion Device" is possibly the most ignorant thing someone could do.

Most of these guys/gals are RC hobbyist who enjoy taking aerial shots (like myself). It's amazing seeing what a city, town, plains, and mountains look like from an aerial view.

Now yes, there are possibly those people who will use these RC's in a negative way, but most hobbyist do not.

But please, get educated on RC's, cause you and a few others are acting like ignorant fools.

remember when this forum used to be filled with hardware and tech enthusiasts and not buck toothed rednecks ready to destroy any old 'gadget thingamajigs' that come within eyesight of them?

remember when this forum used to be filled with hardware and tech enthusiasts and not buck toothed rednecks ready to destroy any old 'gadget thingamajigs' that come within eyesight of them?

If I didn't actually know Americans I would probably be beginning to think that the US was full of nothing but rednecks with 19th century values. You guys need to stop playing in to all the negative stereotypes or all us foreigners are going to just give up and then you'll have no one to buy oil, manufacturered goods, tropical fruit, coffee and all the other things you guys love so much from.

P.S. I live in your biggest oil supplier.

If they would have treated it better, it wouldn't have flown away.

I agree if the pilot was "new" to the hobby. But if there were gusts of wind that was completely unexpected, then the quad could get away from you. Even experienced pilots can lose these do to high winds or electronic failure it happens.

Now you have to understand this, it's not a simple pick up the transmitter and fly it. You have to learn how to fly these RC's, and it can take several months to a few years to really get the hang of of them.

There is a vast difference between "Toy" grade and "Hobby" grade RC's. Toy grade RC's are great for getting into the hobby if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Hobby grade RC's are in there own little world when it comes to piloting them.

I find multi-motor designs easier to fly than single motor's, but I have also been flying RC heli's for about 2 years now. Even at this point my pilot skills are nothing compared to the experts.

Sorry, forgot my original comment. If I found someone's quad copter I'd return it. That's what you do if someone loses something and you're not a self-centered jerk. Seeing that posted up would be a real shock though. I'm used to seeing pictures of cats and dogs. I hope that's never my cat.

[RIP]Zeus;1040844652 said:
Mobile invasion device? I'm going to assume you know little or nothing about RC quad-copters, or just RC's in general, I think you are nothing more than paranoid over stupid media hype.

I just don't understand the way you and people like you think about RC heli's, it's not like these people are going out of their way to invade your privacy. Sorry to break it to you, but you're just not important to be spied on.

As for crashing, it happens. All RC's consist of a Battery, Electronic Speed Controller (ESC), receiver, and motor's. Failure can happen anytime, anywhere. Being an asshole and smashing someone's property cause you think it's a "Mobile Invasion Device" is possibly the most ignorant thing someone could do.

Most of these guys/gals are RC hobbyist who enjoy taking aerial shots (like myself). It's amazing seeing what a city, town, plains, and mountains look like from an aerial view.

Now yes, there are possibly those people who will use these RC's in a negative way, but most hobbyist do not.

But please, get educated on RC's, cause you and a few others are acting like ignorant fools.

LOL, The camera equiped quad copter in question is a mobile privacy invasion tool if you are flying it over my property afaic. Your opinion that I am stupid and ignorant because I treat trespass harshly is noted, and disregarded. Fly your toys over my property at your own risk. If you crash it, it will burn.

I am hardly against the use of these things, I am simply against you using one over my property. NIMBY mother fu****!

[RIP]Zeus;1040844716 said:
I agree if the pilot was "new" to the hobby. But if there were gusts of wind that was completely unexpected, then the quad could get away from you. Even experienced pilots can lose these do to high winds or electronic failure it happens.

Now you have to understand this, it's not a simple pick up the transmitter and fly it. You have to learn how to fly these RC's, and it can take several months to a few years to really get the hang of of them.

There is a vast difference between "Toy" grade and "Hobby" grade RC's. Toy grade RC's are great for getting into the hobby if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Hobby grade RC's are in there own little world when it comes to piloting them.

I find multi-motor designs easier to fly than single motor's, but I have also been flying RC heli's for about 2 years now. Even at this point my pilot skills are nothing compared to the experts.

So very true. I recently have built my own quad copter and have found all the branches in a tree twice now, half dozen props bent/cracked and even a muddy splash down lol. Ton of fun though!

So very true. I recently have built my own quad copter and have found all the branches in a tree twice now, half dozen props bent/cracked and even a muddy splash down lol. Ton of fun though!

I think between Computer's and RC's, they are my favorite hobbies. Expensive as fuck, but none the less my favorite.

Oh this reminds me of many stories when I first started flying. Shredded blinds, scratched walls and ceiling's, cutting my arm and finger, crashing into people and myself. Oh so much fun, and I got one caught in my wife's hair too. I about died laughing while my wife was just oh so pissed off lol.

Don't worry this was done with a Blade MCX2 and MSRX :D (They are small helis)

Now I fly 400 to 700 class heli's with some 3D aerobatics.

LOL, The camera equiped quad copter in question is a mobile privacy invasion tool if you are flying it over my property afaic. Your opinion that I am stupid and ignorant because I treat trespass harshly is noted, and disregarded. Fly your toys over my property at your own risk. If you crash it, it will burn.

I am hardly against the use of these things, I am simply against you using one over my property. NIMBY mother fu****!

Wow dude, you have issues you need to resolve.

Your ignorance is just outstanding.

The modern day version of "if your ball flies over my fence you better have another because you lost this one! Now get off my lawn!"

I bet you threaten dog owners whose dog decides to run off on them that you'll shoot the dog if he comes on your property too, right?

And if a police or news chopper had to make an emergency landing in your backyard, you'd shoot the occupants too, right?

If I didn't actually know Americans I would probably be beginning to think that the US was full of nothing but rednecks with 19th century values. You guys need to stop playing in to all the negative stereotypes or all us foreigners are going to just give up and then you'll have no one to buy oil, manufacturered goods, tropical fruit, coffee and all the other things you guys love so much from.

P.S. I live in your biggest oil supplier.

Don't insult the 19th century.

[RIP]Zeus;1040844751 said:
Wow dude, you have issues you need to resolve.

Your ignorance is just outstanding.

Do you really want to see me skinny dipping in my pool? Do you really want to see my balls? If not, do not fly your camera over my property. However, if you are really are into seeing old saggy nut sacks covered in graying hair, then just ask politely, but do not fly your camera over my property, especially not my pool, without permission.

Fly your camera over your own property or over public property. Not sure why anyone would feel entitled to more than that. People deserve a certain amount of privacy on their own property. Tossing a quad that crashed onto my property into the waste bin, is hardly unreasonable imo. The world does not need to know everything. Sheesh.

Oh, I am not going to call you or the others ignorant, just because your views on the subject suffer tunnel vision due to your interest in the hobby involved.

Do you really want to see me skinny dipping in my pool? Do you really want to see my balls? If not, do not fly your camera over my property. However, if you are really are into seeing old saggy nut sacks covered in graying hair, then just ask politely, but do not fly your camera over my property, especially not my pool, without permission.
:D

Seriously though just because it has a camera doesn't mean they are using it to film. Every cell phone that's been made in the past 10 or so years has a camera too, doesn't mean they're trying to snap some wrinkly ol' nutsack :D

:D

Seriously though just because it has a camera doesn't mean they are using it to film. Every cell phone that's been made in the past 10 or so years has a camera too, doesn't mean they're trying to snap some wrinkly ol' nutsack :D

True, I suppose.

However, as a general rule, I believe it is safe to assume that people that have a purchased a flying camera, intend to use it to take pictures/video.

They grew up so fast and the teeth fell out so quick, didn't they?

Fly your camera over your own property or over public property. Not sure why anyone would feel entitled to more than that. People deserve a certain amount of privacy on their own property. Tossing a quad that crashed onto my property into the waste bin, is hardly unreasonable imo. The world does not need to know everything. Sheesh.

Oh, I am not going to call you or the others ignorant, just because your views on the subject suffer tunnel vision due to your interest in the hobby involved.

Once again, your ignorance is outstanding. Why would anyone want to take a RC Heli with a camera and look at you or your property? If I was near your property, I sure as hell am not taking pictures/video of it.

I donno if you feel self entitled or that you feel important, but you are nothing more than an asshole for destroying someone else's property, regardless of what it is.

If I found a crashed heli in my yard I would try to find the owner and return it, regardless if it had a camera on it or not. These "hobby" grade RC's are not manned by the NSA, and they are not "spying" on your old nasty grey balls.

Shaking my head.

Yeah and to get an air view of my property one would have to throw their phone in the air. Come on man dont be retarded with this. Folks do use these to look into windows trust me I have seen it happen. Has nothing to do with being paranoid but wtf else are you using a camera equipped quad for? Im taking the sd card out to see whats on it, then i would determine if he would get it back.

[RIP]Zeus;1040844839 said:
Once again, your ignorance is outstanding. Why would anyone want to take a RC Heli with a camera and look at you or your property? If I was near your property, I sure as hell am not taking pictures/video of it.

I donno if you feel self entitled or that you feel important, but you are nothing more than an asshole for destroying someone else's property, regardless of what it is.

If I found a crashed heli in my yard I would try to find the owner and return it, regardless if it had a camera on it or not. These "hobby" grade RC's are not manned by the NSA, and they are not "spying" on your old nasty grey balls.

Shaking my head.

So you talking about entitlements huh.....

True, I suppose.

However, as a general rule, I believe it is safe to assume that people that have a purchased a flying camera, intend to use it to take pictures/video.

Of course they intend to use it to take pictures and video. Some even have FPS Camera's so they can fly it with first person goggles. Like I stated before, ever see a city from way high up? Same with mountains and other pieces of landscape. Sorry but your rusty ol balls are not breath taking compared a city at 700 feet.

Yeah and to get an air view of my property one would have to throw their phone in the air. Come on man dont be retarded with this. Folks do use these to look into windows trust me I have seen it happen. Has nothing to do with being paranoid but wtf else are you using a camera equipped quad for? Im taking the sd card out to see whats on it, then i would determine if he would get it back.

What if flight was streamed via FPS Camera?

How would you determine that it should go back to it's rightful owner then?

The "Reward" was he wouldn't go to the cops for theft.

So right there the guy is saying "Whoever stole this, I won't press charges if you return it" so now if some poor bastard found it and this guy has a camera he could possibly go to the cops and say here's the guy that stole it, he responded to the flyer I posted.

If it was flying low enough to be within the confines of your property then I completely understand. However, this RC can fly up to 1650 feet up in the air. If they lose signal and crash that high up, they could land anywhere due to the previous trajectory and wind.

[RIP]Zeus;1040844851 said:
What if flight was streamed via FPS Camera?

How would you determine that it should go back to it's rightful owner then?

I get the hobby aspect. I be you would change your tune if this was used to capture your daughter. Please dont sit there and think there is never any malicious uses for this hobby. I can see both ways but you just are basing it on some poor bastard that lost his toy.

In my wifes mothers neighborhood, we have went to war with 2 individuals that think its funny to fly these things around peoples properties and capture video. I dont want to hear that i can film anything i want from outside your upstairs window shit either.

Again its a "hobby" but come on be real, who's forking out 1400 to not get a chance to see something they have no business seeing.

People think they can do whatever the hell they want outside.

And how the hell can you charge anyone with theft for something you lost on their property? He doesnt even know where it crashed. Again, Id pull the sd card to see what he was capturing. So this can go both ways.

Had some punks flying a small one in my backyard last year, they thought it was funny to run it right up to my 2nd story windows and hover it there. A well placed shot with a .22 pellet rifle took care of it. I put it out on the street for them though so that was nice of me.

[RIP]Zeus;1040844847 said:
Of course they intend to use it to take pictures and video. Some even have FPS Camera's so they can fly it with first person goggles. Like I stated before, ever see a city from way high up? Same with mountains and other pieces of landscape. Sorry but your rusty ol balls are not breath taking compared a city at 700 feet.
Eh...let it go. Some people aren't worth the effort to civilize.

Back