Revisiting the Radeon VII and RTX 2080 at 2560x1440

CAD4466HK

2[H]4U
I decided to check out The Tech Report after a hiatus of several months and came across this article.
OCAT testing with some interesting frame times for your pleasure.

I hate to say I told you so, but it's true: Our relative standings in 4K testing do generally hold when we lower resolution and remove HDR from the picture. The GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition still outpaces the Radeon VII at 2560x1440 and offers a smoother, quieter, less power-hungry gaming experience while doing it. Our results with Nvidia's Founders Edition card might not make the RTX 2080 look like the best value, but custom-cooled 2080s are widely available for just a few bucks over Nvidia's $699.99 suggested price for partner cards. The Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8G we have in the TR labs is both faster and quieter than the already fast and quiet Founders Edition. Given that the Gigabyte card is just $10 more, that's bad news for the Radeon VII.

https://techreport.com/review/34461/revisiting-the-radeon-vii-and-rtx-2080-at-2560x1440

So the 2080 technically won, but when you look at the numbers it's so close I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

While I haven't tried the 2080 myself, my impression of the VII is that it is neck in neck, when you add G-Sync/FreeSync it would effectively be the same experience.

I think these reviews do a disservice by claiming you should buy one card over the other for a few frames of difference. They are essentially the same.

So the 2080 technically won, but when you look at the numbers it's so close I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

While I haven't tried the 2080 myself, my impression of the VII is that it is neck in neck, when you add G-Sync/FreeSync it would effectively be the same experience.

I think these reviews do a disservice by claiming you should buy one card over the other for a few frames of difference. They are essentially the same.
How about this they test games that you never ever play what then? With games running on DX12, Vulkan and DX11 the only saving grace is when they use the same engine in DX11 that would indicate somewhat where the performance is going. But under Vulkan and DX12 the same engine might not even use the same features on a per game basis.

Back