Reviews for AMD’s APU Ryzen 2400G are in.

Have not built any AMD systems since the AMD64 days, but the 2400G seems pretty intriguing to use in my new work desktop.

For a $400 computer to handle basic productivity tasks and web browsing, is there any better current option over a 2400G/B350 setup?

Anything cheaper from Intel?

You're talking extremely low-end work, AMD APUs are actually quite a bit more than you need; and with slower CPU sections, why bother? You're not using the GPU for gaming, so why compromise on the CPU?

Anything cheaper from Intel?

You're talking extremely low-end work, AMD APUs are actually quite a bit more than you need; and with slower CPU sections, why bother? You're not using the GPU for gaming, so why compromise on the CPU?

Wouldn't I have to buy a discrete GPU? At the moment I can grab a 2400G and a B350 mobo for around $250 including tax and the microcenter $30 bundle discount. Even at used prices, what intel combo would perform better for $250?

Didn't realize that the 1151 processors have integrated graphics.

So you would recommend something like an i5 8400?

The 8400 is more but faster; higher clocks, IPC, and 6C6T versus the Ryzen's 4C8T. My main point though was that you don't need to go that high for what you are doing; you could get the 2200G or 8300 4C4T CPUs and never know the difference.

And if you do want to go that high, I'd err toward Intel for higher CPU performance. I will also say that the 2400G is as cheap as you're going to get a 4C8T CPU, mostly because Intel transitioned away from producing those in the current desktop generation and the previous generation has them as a higher-end part with associated pricing.

[the calculus changes if you are gaming; at a hard budget, the 2400G is pretty damn nice, but if you plan on upgrading graphics in the near-term, you'd want the legs of an 8600+, etc.]

Wouldn't I have to buy a discrete GPU? At the moment I can grab a 2400G and a B350 mobo for around $250 including tax and the microcenter $30 bundle discount. Even at used prices, what intel combo would perform better for $250?

The answer is no Intel combo can beat that.

The 8400 is more but faster; higher clocks, IPC, and 6C6T versus the Ryzen's 4C8T. My main point though was that you don't need to go that high for what you are doing; you could get the 2200G or 8300 4C4T CPUs and never know the difference.

And if you do want to go that high, I'd err toward Intel for higher CPU performance. I will also say that the 2400G is as cheap as you're going to get a 4C8T CPU, mostly because Intel transitioned away from producing those in the current desktop generation and the previous generation has them as a higher-end part with associated pricing.

[the calculus changes if you are gaming; at a hard budget, the 2400G is pretty damn nice, but if you plan on upgrading graphics in the near-term, you'd want the legs of an 8600+, etc.]

I get what you are saying, but i figure that I will be buying a new motherboard anyways so I might as well pay $25-50 more and get a 2400G/8400 instead of the 2200G/8300.

The answer is no Intel combo can beat that.

Disregarding the excess GPU performance on the AMD part for this application, any cheaper and you'd want Intel, and any more expensive you'd want Intel- literally this slot Intel seems to have left to AMD. A 4C8T i5 would go nicely.

I get what you are saying, but i figure that I will be buying a new motherboard anyways so I might as well pay $25-50 more and get a 2400G/8400 instead of the 2200G/8300.

Spend $25-$50 more and get the 8400, or a little more and get the 8600, or a little more and get the 8700-

If this is what you're comfortable spending, then the 2400G is for you :).

Disregarding the excess GPU performance on the AMD part for this application, any cheaper and you'd want Intel, and any more expensive you'd want Intel- literally this slot Intel seems to have left to AMD. A 4C8T i5 would go nicely.

Spend $25-$50 more and get the 8400, or a little more and get the 8600, or a little more and get the 8700-

If this is what you're comfortable spending, then the 2400G is for you :).

You can't really make such claims, as dollar for dollar, and AMD system will be faster in literally everything except gaming and only gaming. Even then, its the difference between 210 FPS and 230FPS. If you have a 144Hz monitor or slower, you literally can't see a difference. Increase to 1440P? you'd need a 1080 or above to actually start running the FPS that is limiting on Ryzen, and that FPS is over the 165Hz maximum for a HDMI 2.0 cable. Gaming and encoding? Ryzen is faster. Gaming and streaming? Ryzen is faster. choosing a Ryzen is most likely a faster option.

This is dollar for dollar at the system, dollar for dollar at the CPU, dollar for dollar at the platform.

i5 8400 is actually not a universally good choice even compared to current R5 1600 (which is about to be replaced with 2600). Ryzen 1600 is king in productivity and 10-20% slower in games. And while you can get most out of the 1600 in a B350 mobo, for the 8400 this requires a Z370 chipset, adding another 40 or so bucks to the Intel build.

Here is a recent comparison.

i5 8400 is actually not a universally good choice even compared to current R5 1600 (which is about to be replaced with 2600). Ryzen 1600 is king in productivity and 10-20% slower in games. And while you can get most out of the 1600 in a B350 mobo, for the 8400 this requires a Z370 chipset, adding another 40 or so bucks to the Intel build.

Here is a recent comparison.

The R5 1600 and R5 2600 both inexplicably lack GPUs and are not being considered.

It's perfectly explicable, the 6 core processors are made from the 8 core die which has no (room for an) igp.

...has plenty of room. AMD doesn't need to put a high-performance IGP on there, the damn thing just needs to provide a graphics feed, and they couldn't even do that. That's why they're not being considered for discreteless build.

...has plenty of room. AMD doesn't need to put a high-performance IGP on there, the damn thing just needs to provide a graphics feed, and they couldn't even do that. That's why they're not being considered for discreteless build.

But why get a 6 core 8400 for a web and office productivity machine? Way overkill on the cpu side, and still much more expensive given mobo costs. Hell, a 2200g would be overkill for that, let alone an i5. An a320/2200g build at $140 for board/cpu with 16gb of ram will be plenty and there's no comparable intel product at that price point that would be worth buying - and i3 8100 combo is $20 more with less than half the gpu power. I'm not sure what apps would require or even be noticeably faster on a 6core processor with essentially zero gpu power, especially at roughly 50% higher cost. Maybe if you have super long excel macros? In which case you'd be much better served re-platforming to something more efficient software wise than buying a new system....

Thanks for all the input guys. I went with a 8400/H370 build in the end. Is this overkill for my needs? Absolutely. But It will provide me a potent foundation incase I want to perform more demanding tasks in the future. If I decide I need more GPU power down the line, I'll drop a graphics card in at that point.

Is there any point buying a 1300 for a budget build these days?

I agree with this, Even if AMD threw in 5 vega cores, or hell, even 3, to do basic tasks like 4K video and basic Direct3D, so the cost of the platform doesn't go up for non-gamers. Often times a high-end system for non-visual work (think sound design, database, VM workstations) is cheaper off on an intel system compared to a Ryzen one because of the extra $40 for a discrete card.

Back