Reviews for AMD’s APU Ryzen 2400G are in.

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by pencea, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Aluminum

Aluminum Limp Gawd

Asrock has been real good to me lately, Z170/270/370, X99, X370, X399 great boards. That said I picked up a gigabyte itx instead because the asrock itx fucked up with no displayport and no usb 3.1 (wtf, it comes with the chipset!). I don't like the realtek lan on the gigabyte but the x8 lanes don't need a gpu so...

Actually all the am4 itx and uatx boards are a big compromise, asus didn't even put fucking video ports on theirs WTH?! Its like they put the rejects on the design team, they clearly know better going by the intel z#70 itx and am4 atx configurations.

2. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Facepalm at Extremetech. That's some stupid sensationalism on their part.

3. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 [H]ard|Gawd

Nope. I meant the CPU. An 8 thread Zen CCX will be more bandwidth hungry than a 4 thread Excavator proc since its getting a lot more work done. So overall bandwidth goes up but as a practical matter bandwidth to the GPU doesn't go up as much as you think for a mixed workload.

There is a lot of give and take/mutual dependencies. That's why 1080p and lower res benches are used for CPU gaming benchmarks. In an APU hitting the CPU's bounds also lowers the GPU bounds

4. juanrga

juanrga Pro-Intel / Anti-AMD Just FYI

The "now" I posted is a shorthand for the "AMD also notes it has transitioned to [...] a traditional nonmetallic TIM" quote that you find in the ExtremeTech review. Both my posts #16 #20 were about APUs and only about APUs. Everything else, including your pretension that I was talking about Pinnacle Rige (I was not), is only in your imagination.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. juanrga

Reviews are getting up to 4.2GHz in golden samples, which agrees with the 4.2GHz demoed by AMD at CES.

Those overclocks are about 200MHz above Summit Ridge, which agrees with the stock clocks of Raven Ridge being 100--300MHz higher than the stocks clocks of corresponding Summit Ridge quad-core.

1500X: 3.5/3.7GHz <--> 2400G: 3.6/3.9GHz

1400: 3.2/3.4GHz <--> 2200G: 3.5/3.7GHz

Those 4.56GHz are non-existent. It is the old sleep timer Ryzen bug again faking overclocks readings and scores

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-raven-ridge-overclocking

6. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, that's exactly what I posted, bclk bug. The 4.175ghz oc was NOT due to the bug, that was pure multiplier and on the stock wraith stealth cooler. I still haven't seen any tests with aftermarket (good) coolers.

7. juanrga

The bug generated those fake 4.56GHz. The 4.175GHz you mention are real and correspond to the 4.2GHz that I mention in my post.

As mentioned in one of my links, AMD demoed the 2400G with the Wraith Max (a 140W cooler): 4.2GHz was the maximum overclock with that cooler.

The Stilt has delidded the APU, replaced the TIM and reduced tempts by 12 ºC. The max frequency overclock remain unchanged after the delidd.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  8. Nightfire

Nightfire Gawd

What?! In no goddam way is the 3.7 ghz 4/8 cpu portion of the APU the bottleneck in ANY of these tests. MAYBE with older games at 480p on low running 150 fps+ would you see any cpu bottleneck. What in the world are yoi talking about?

9. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 [H]ard|Gawd

I'm not saying that happened; I'm just illustrating on an APU the CPU and GPU compete for resources. Last I checked they don't share a contiguous memory space for game assets. So for instance any texture might have a copy for the CPU and another for the GPU and each has to be loaded from memory separately which means 2x the bandwidth is used, on average.

10. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Has anyone reviewed with meltdown patches installed?

11. Gideon

Gideon [H]ard|Gawd

There is no meltdown patch for AMD and never will be since it does not have that flaw. Spectre patches I have no idea if they are out or not for the consumer for AMD.

12. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Meltdown patched Intel procesaors. Someone might say it's cheating without the patches.

13. Nightfire

Nightfire Gawd

14. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK Gawd

Hmmmm...seems the 2400G has an interesting throttle mode when stressing the IGP.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-raven-ridge-thermal-power-benchmarking,5464.html

15. thesmokingman

Reminds me of how gpus crash or near crash, crashing the driver to a point it can't recover thus hard reset.

16. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

sounds more likely a driver or maybe a bios issue similar to what thesmokingman mentioned.. i remember nvidia had a similar issue with the 8/9/2x0 series where the cards would throttle and permanently stay that way until a hard reset, with the 400 and later series cards it would automatically crash the drivers to reset clock speeds.

CAD4466HK likes this.
  17. OrangeKhrush

OrangeKhrush [H]ard|Gawd

I spent time price guaging locally and the 2200G makes a good buy even for discrete gaming. You get 1400-1500 performance sometimes better for about 1.7K less absolute steal of a deal for a budget orientated build.

18. Stefan75

Stefan75 n00bie

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. juanrga

It is true that there is no current Meltdown patch for AMD hardware. But never say "never". Lisa Su claims they "believe" their hardware is not vulnerable to Meltdown, and the official Meltdown site continues labeling the vulnerability of AMD hardware as "unclear" at this moment.

Spectre patches are ready on Windows but only one of them is active because the other requires microcode update, which AMD has not still issued.

20. thebufenator

thebufenator Gawd

How many of the Intel patches were crushing rigs?

21. Bigdady92

Bigdady92 [H]ardness Supreme

I want this APU for a custom Emulation rig I want to build. The problem is that the cooler for this beast is the size of the case I want to use. Are there any low profile AM4 coolers that would fit a mini-itx case and this board? Slimmer/smaller the better.

22. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Newegg is apparently up to their shenanigans again:

As of right now @ Newegg:

Ryzen 3 2200G: BACKORDER status and back up to $129.99
    Ryzen 5 2400G: IN STOCK and back up to $189.99

23. Bigdady92

Bigdady92 [H]ardness Supreme

christ...

24. ir0nw0lf

Yeah, right after they decided to partially refund people over their launch day purchase(s). Someone over at Newegg needs to lay off the special sauce. o_O

Sulphademus likes this.
  25. Aluminum

Aluminum Limp Gawd

Will be testing with my pair of 2400g this weekend on asus prime pro x370 ("extra" from ryzen launch) and gigabyte b350 itx.

To be honest, I'm not sure why this should not be the case for all boards, the hdmi is logically wired pretty much straight to the cpu socket. There is a bit inbetween (voltages and all that) but they designed those boards in late 2016 at the earliest.

I am prepared if they fail to do good 4k on hdmi, I tend to make setups with dualscreen 4k monitor + 4k tv (though not always both on) which is why I made sure both have DP 1.2 ports.

26. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

27. tungt88

tungt88 [H]ard|Gawd

Never underestimate the power of greed. :D

28. ir0nw0lf

The 35W versions (GE) have been getting some nice buzz the last day or two.

29. jbc029

jbc029 Limp Gawd

Had the unused cooler laying around from my R7 1700. The 2400G cooler feels hefty compared to the old apu coolers, but man...thinking the kids can flip for who gets the nice cooler now.

Attached Files:

30. Relayer

Relayer [H]ard|Gawd

Most of the complaints seem to be coming from people who don't want to accept these are for people who don't want dGPU at all.

31. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 [H]ard|Gawd

Its fine for someone who wants a decent rig now and can drop in a discrete GPU whenever (if ever lol) they can afford one.

Also would be able to upgrade to Zen2 or later procs down the road.

Whats not to like?
    Crapping on AMD gets clicks I guess

32. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Money's better spent (long-term) on a faster Intel or AMD CPU (well, one with more cores), because the iGPU just isn't that fast due to be strapped to a CPU memory controller.

However, if AMD were able to solve that problem in the same socket- shoehorn in HBM?- there's potentially some future-proofing. Just not enough to make it a 'sound' investment unless going dGPU-less is being forced.

33. thesmokingman

No, its not. They're being entirely retarded. There's enough lanes there for one discrete add in gpu. What they're complaint is that they can't run multiple gpus roflmao.

Sulphademus likes this.
  34. THUMPer

THUMPer I Sit in Stink

pendragon1 likes this.
  35. IdiotInCharge

Very cool! You're seeing decent (linear scaled?) improvements in synthetics from increased clockspeed, which allays one of my concerns: that memory speed would hamper overclock performance.

However, in the first benchmark, you're seeing a lower minimum FPS at 1600MHz vs. 1250MHz- is that repeatable, or is it an outlier? I'd hate to improve average framerates only for performance to be choppy!

36. THUMPer

THUMPer I Sit in Stink

Good observation. At the beginning of heaven when you click the benchmark button, sometimes it hitches and the first fps reading is low. I think that is the only time it will go that low. I could run it a few more times, but I don't think its always able to be reproduced.

37. thesmokingman

Let the bench run a quick loop by pushing enter key so it loops around once then run the bench.

38. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

re heaven; when I see that happen I hit esc then hit F9 to restart the benchmark. there are also a couple other points during the run where the fps dips drastically on everything ive ever run it on.

THUMPer likes this.
  39. IdiotInCharge

Well, that behavior highlights the issue with minimum FPS as a concluding data point- we really need frametimes (and a graph!), which would isolate such issues and present a good overview of realized performance.

Still, it's nice to see the iGPU responding well to overclocking!

pendragon1 likes this.
  40. thesmokingman

It's a quirk with Unigine engine. Usually everyone knows to ignore obvious anomalous low fps in this bench. Or like seasoned users let it loop at least once then run it.

IdiotInCharge and pendragon1 like this.