Reviewers Reporting Frame Rate Problems With 'CoD: Ghosts' On PS4

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

So there has been a bit of controversy lately about the PS4 version of COD Ghosts running at native 1080p while the XB1 runs at 720p upscaled to 1080p. Lots of finger pointing and laughing, but now this?

Now, it appears that the PS4 version, which does run at 1080p native, is having a hard time keeping the frame rate up. Nearly every reviewer who has talked about the PS4 version describes some kind of frame rate failure. Here are a few examples:

Polygon: ”Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.”

IGN: “On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4.”

Joystiq: ”A key pillar of the
Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl, particularly during set-piece moments with multiple effects. One specific moment I was able to replicate multiple times on PS4 was a campaign scene that ran smoothly on Xbox 360 and PS3, while the game chugged On PlayStation 4. These frame rate hitches happen throughout the campaign on PS4 and, in a series known for its Hollywood-inspired bombast, it detracted from the experience.”

Well if it happened on the PS3 as well it sounds like whomever was in charge of the Playstation version didn't a very good job then?

So this only happens during the four hour long single player campaign no one cares about?

Yeah I'll stick with 1080P 60 fps multiplayer.

It is on:
PS4
XB1
PC

The issue that is... Infinity Ward dun goofed, they are talking about a day 1 patch to smooth both consoles, the XB1 isn't mentioned because it is embargoed 'til the 12th.

PC meanwhile has to suffer framedrops even with SLIed Titans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgc43e-zp4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

BTW here is some xb1 footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teejnxOa9jg&feature=youtu.be

See how it goes chop chop choppy each time he turns around?... it is a shame.

Editting to add:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710045&page=11

On that link you can see a gif made from the XB1 experience... again, it is a real mark of dishonor for the game to be like that with the "brand new" engine.

It is on:
PS4
XB1
PC

The issue that is... Infinity Ward dun goofed, they are talking about a day 1 patch to smooth both consoles, the XB1 isn't mentioned because it is embargoed 'til the 12th.

PC meanwhile has to suffer framedrops even with SLIed Titans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgc43e-zp4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

BTW here is some xb1 footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teejnxOa9jg&feature=youtu.be

See how it goes chop chop choppy each time he turns around?... it is a shame.

Editting to add:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710045&page=11

On that link you can see a gif made from the XB1 experience... again, it is a real mark of dishonor for the game to be like that with the "brand new" engine.

I was about to say the same thing. People are complaining about lag on all but the ps4 is only mentioned with forbes.

Read the neogaf thread and be amazed at how that forbes "contributor" has his head up MS's ass.
ibz4KQ3aABtCnT.gif

I was about to say the same thing. People are complaining about lag on all but the ps4 is only mentioned with forbes.

Read the neogaf thread and be amazed at how that forbes "contributor" has his head up MS's ass.
ibz4KQ3aABtCnT.gif

If it runs like crap on the PC Master Race Box...Yeah it will run choppy on consles until driver update(s) or code is modified. & wow @ Forbes writers! Are they just insinuating XBOX1 doesn't exist to them(?), or they think it will only sell 2 this season so why report on it :D Forbes is so smart!

Guys, huge ammount of salt about Xb1 not being mentioned:

XB1 CoD is embargoed 'til the 12th, that is next week, so if any medium tries to publish something officially they will either get lawyers thrown at them if they signed the NDA, and/or get Blacklisted.

Also, well, that particular writter wasn't pro MS i think, he is just "playing the NDA rules"... which imho he shouldn't have in the meaning of naming Sony's console, but then again like the Kotaku writter said a couple days ago, the trust in gaming journalists is at an all time low, but the clicks are at an all time high (referring to the launch console wars).

Edit to add:
List of Pro Sony articles he has written lately

"They 5 Best Reasons For Buying The PS4 Instead Of A Xbox One"

"Call Of Duty' Creators Explain Why The Resolution Is Lower On Xbox One"

Confirmed -- 'Call Of Duty: Ghosts' Runs At A Lower Native Resolution On Xbox One

Here's Every Game You Can Buy For The PS4 At Launch

PS4 Beating Xbox One In Holiday Shopping Poll

The PS4 Will Be Sony's Cheapest Playstation Yet

^^
He is just playing the click games.

Last edited:

ibz4KQ3aABtCnT.gif

Wow that XO video the GIF is from looks like hell. Infinity Ward what have you done :eek:

Yea thread backfire for our old 360 friend theNoid, I would have been the one to ruin it but I'm still on this POS phone.

Watch that Totalbiscuit video, he is getting under 60 with Titans :(

Okay. New idea. Buy Battlefield 4. Problem solved :)

PS: I find it ironic that the 360 is the only one that runs it at a steady 60fps (according to reviews anyways).

PS: I find it ironic that the 360 is the only one that runs it at a steady 60fps (according to reviews anyways).

Well, the 360 isn't running the "new engine" ;-)

The PS3 always has had some issues with CoD i think.

A lot of people are also having problems with Battlefield 4 also

Yeah buddy, cause everyone knows you are not a fanboy :rolleyes:

Please, stating facts and keeping up to date is not being disingenuous. I've long praised Live and played (owned) every Gears, and Halo game made to date. I don't have a 360 anymore because Microsoft abandoned it late last year.

I only hammer people when they post false info or who obviously have an agenda without getting the whole story (theNoid or VladDracule).

Back on topic: www.cinemablend.com/m/games/Xbox-One-Suffers-Frame-Stutter-Call-Duty-Ghosts-60354.html

I watched some multiplayer footage from the 360 and it does indeed run damn smooth. Looks like crap after watching PS4 and PC footage from someone playing on Titants, but it is locked in at 60 FPS and never flinches.

Dan is an editor at Game Informer.
https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/397848714116485120
Same here. RT @alexrubens: Quick note: I played Call of Duty: Ghosts single-player on PS4 and didn't have any frame rate issues whatsoever.

Alex reviewed Ghosts for Gamefront.
https://twitter.com/alexrubens/status/397848282191257600
Just a quick note: I played Call of Duty: Ghosts single-player on PS4 and didn't have any frame rate issues whatsoever.

Why are those posts almost completely identical?

Also, Today I Learned that my company blocks Facebook, but not Twitter. Go figure.

Got greedy and spread themselves thin with this release. For current gen (xbox360,ps3,wii u) it's the ugliest since cod 4 with the lowest resolution and blurriest game I've seen on a console in about 7 years (880x720 with more AA blur). While for pc and next gen consoles it's a stuttery mess.

I don't understand why anyone would buy this game over killzone if you have a ps4 anyways especially with the supposed performance issues. They are both aiming to be futuristic twitch shooters at this point at least killzone looks a hell of a lot better while doing it.

Got greedy and spread themselves thin with this release. For current gen (xbox360,ps3,wii u) it's the ugliest since cod 4 with the lowest resolution and blurriest game I've seen on a console in about 7 years (880x720 with more AA blur). While for pc and next gen consoles it's stuttery mess.

I don't understand why anyone would buy this game over killzone if you have a ps4 anyways especially with the supposed performance issues. They are both aiming to be futuristic twitch shooters at this point at least killzone looks a hell of a lot better while doing it.

You can even buy Killzone right this minute. And stare at it. And probably have a better time than playing COD: Ghosts.

Because if Killzone: SF is anything like the previous games in the series, it will be very far from a twitch shooter... and won't be very fun... But yes, it does look pretty damn good (also like the Killzone games before it).

I completely blame Infinity Ward for this. Terrible developer confirmed again and again.

Because if Killzone: SF is anything like the previous games in the series, it will be very far from a twitch shooter... and won't be very fun... But yes, it does look pretty damn good (also like the Killzone games before it).

Killzone 3 multiplayer was way more fun then any cod i have played, while also looking and sounding much better. It actually gave you a chance to fire back and didn't have a gigantic amount of auto aim so that anyone could dominate with minor effort. I understand people want "easy mode" but how exactly is it not a twitch shooter?

Killzone 3 multiplayer was way more fun then any cod i have played, while also looking and sounding much better. It actually gave you a chance to fire back and didn't have a gigantic amount of auto aim so that anyone could dominate with minor effort. I understand people want "easy mode" but how exactly is it not a twitch shooter?

Movement in Killzone has always felt like you're controlling a cumbersome tank. Not something I would associate with twitch shooter. I also wouldn't say that it requires any more skill than CoD (or vice versa for that matter).

Wow what a turn this has been.

CoD: Ghosts on Xbox One Has Frame Rate Issues And Is The Main Reason Not To Buy says Ex IGN Editor

Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from nasty frame rate issue, according to Jeremy Conrad.

Call of Duty: GhostsConrad further went on to add that FPS drops from 60 to 50 FPS and is reason to not buy it (PS the 720p game has worse drops)

SOURCE

Movement in Killzone has always felt like you're controlling a cumbersome tank. Not something I would associate with twitch shooter. I also wouldn't say that it requires any more skill than CoD (or vice versa for that matter).

Movement and aiming felt identical and responsive to me there it's just that there isn't much auto aim too fall back on making it require more feedback from the player. It does require more skill as you have to land more shots while also maintaining much more input to keep yourself on target. The "tank controls"? maybe in killzone 2 but not 3 and not every fps in the world should feel like a disembodied head gliding over a surface at 25mph.

Movement and aiming felt identical and responsive to me there it's just that there isn't much auto aim too fall back on making it require more feedback from the player. It does require more skill as you have to land more shots while also maintaining much more input to keep yourself on target. The "tank controls"? maybe in killzone 2 but not 3 and not every fps in the world should feel like a disembodied head gliding over a surface at 25mph.

If that's what you think, I won't argue. Just saying that my experience is different (actually playing through KZ3 atm before KZ:SF comes out).

Wow what a turn this has been.

SOURCE

All around the new COD engine ( yea , right.. new) is garbage. It's poorly optimized crap that doesn't run well on anything it seems.

I think Treyarch is going to have to step in and retool it for their next COD which likely be the real result of the engine for next gen.

Seems like IW has botched the "brand new next-gen engine"'s optimisation when even the best PC hardware can't run 2007-era graphics with smooth performance.

I thought consoles were supposed to eliminate all of this release then patch bs, just another reason not to supprt his gaming company..

If that's what you think, I won't argue. Just saying that my experience is different (actually playing through KZ3 atm before KZ:SF comes out).

I agree with yourgrandma. Worlds of difference between KZ2 to KZ3. But there is almost a good difference between campaign and multiplayer KZ3. KZ3 multiplayer feels much more like BF3 (consoles) in terms of speed/control.

Polygons Review (updated today). Please don't shoot the messenger:

While the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed by Activision to run at a lower resolution than its PS4 counterpart (720p upscaled vs. 1080p native, respectively), that numerical difference is less meaningful than you might imagine.

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference. The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.

The Xbox One release's framerate was far more noticeable. As mentioned in the initial review, Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from consistent framerate drops on the PS4, especially during multiplayer when action got especially hectic. The Xbox One version suffered no such drops, maintaining a steady 60 frames per second throughout.

For a multiplayer shooter, framerate consistency is paramount. Given its relative visual parity with the PS4 release, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a more playable, slightly superior (albeit disappointing) game on Xbox One.

They gave the 360, PS3 and PS4 versions a 6.5 each, while the Xbox One version got a 7.

Back