Review with 3X GTX 480s and 4X 5870s

Saw this review the other day, I have no idea why they didn't do any multi-monitor benchmarking as it's ridiculous to run these setups without multiple monitors. But I came to the same conclusion that 5000 scaling was very inconsistent though to be fair the 480s had their issues but seemed to do a lot better handling AA.

But this test means little without multiple monitors.

Note the consistency and excellent minimum framerates in most of the tests. However, flaws in the drivers for both sides (and architecture limitations, probably) affected the results in this review.

I wonder how 2560x1600 with 4xAA would compare to 6000x1200 with 0xAA in performance?

But this test means little without multiple monitors.

I've gone GTX 480 SLI with thoughts of going tri-SLI on my single 30" 2560x1600 monitor due to the benches on:

Crysis
Borderlands
Metro 2033
Aliens vs. Predator (2010)

I don't quite like the fact on some games (especially Borderlands) your min framerate plummets when you tri-SLI...

Not sure how you Eyefinity/Surround users are getting acceptable framerates when I'm considering tri-SLI just to try to achieve acceptable framerates on a single monitor... (Although I did decide to build the machine and see what I think of SLI before going tri...)

I've gone GTX 480 SLI with thoughts of going tri-SLI on my single 30" 2560x1600 monitor due to the benches on:

Crysis
Borderlands
Metro 2033
Aliens vs. Predator (2010)

I don't quite like the fact on some games (especially Borderlands) your min framerate plummets when you tri-SLI...

Not sure how you Eyefinity/Surround users are getting acceptable framerates when I'm considering tri-SLI just to try to achieve acceptable framerates on a single monitor... (Although I did decide to build the machine and see what I think of SLI before going tri...)

Not sure what you're playing but only Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2 seem to take running anything at 5760x1080 on my setup. I can even run Crysis will a mix of Very/High and High settings no AA and get around 50 FPS. Haven't played Borderlands since getting this Surround setup going.

3 480s drive 5870x1080 pretty damn well thus far for me. We'll see what Mafia II brings. That supports 3D as well so I'm hoping for the best but I just expect that game to set the new standard in sucking up all the power you can give it.

Back