Review the game you finished recently.

silentsod

Limp Gawd
Finally got time to finish Disko Elysium
It's something
12/10
I've been leery of picking up Disco Elysium for the following reasons a) I'm concerned it plays more like an adventure game/visual novel and b) the gaming press went ape for it which combined with any sort of artsy fartsy presentation usually means the game part is lacking. I'm curious to know if either of those concerns is true?

Aireoth

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been leery of picking up Disco Elysium for the following reasons a) I'm concerned it plays more like an adventure game/visual novel and b) the gaming press went ape for it which combined with any sort of artsy fartsy presentation usually means the game part is lacking. I'm curious to know if either of those concerns is true?

Its an experience, due to the insane level of dialogue it does resemble a chose your own adventure but that doesn't accurately describe the entire game.

Adventure/RPG would fit well.

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Fenyx Immortals Rising

From the same developers who brought you the epic shitastic Wildlands and loot box simulator Assassin's Creed Odyssey, we have yet another gem on our hands. Ubisoft, not content with being perhaps the worst video game publisher/developer in modern times has set out again to bring misery to gamers world wide. And they charge for it to.

There is a lot wrong with Immortals Rising. The control scheme makes no sense. It was designed by people who never played video games before. People who never picked up a controller in their life made the default controls and combinations, which require you to stretch, twist and distort your hands and controller in ways that make no sense. You cannot fix this by remapping because many of the controls are hold/combos.

Animations/inputs lag heavily. Often times up to a whole second. Pulling out your bow and firing a quick shot, like every game designed by mentally competent developers, is impossible. You must commit to melee or a bow for combat. This makes this extremely repetitive. Controls are clunky and animations fail in typical Ubisoft fashion. Want to grab onto something? Your character does, then immediately slips because the animation breaks. Fucking pathetic. Controlling your character and doing the utmost simple of tasks is outright impossible in this "game". Want to climb up a ledge? You can't do that. But for some reason your character will randomly run up walls Assassin's Creed style. The 3rd person camera makes zero sense.

Enemies are dumb as a bag of rocks. They attack if you get close. You mash the attach button at them. If you stray too far in combat they disappear and respawn at their idle place. Gameplay loop is running up to an enemy and mashing the attack buttons. You can throw rocks but the inconsistent controls make it impossible. You may pull out a bow or drop the rock. Your character might not throw it.

Gameplay wise the game is based around upgrading your character. In typical lazy, uninspired, amateur style this is an RPG - the genre of games morons who can't make a real game do because it is easy. You run around aimlessly doing menial tasks to get some upgrades. Skills like being able to pickup mushrooms more quickly or do 30% more damage are the common ones. The problem is you need to use a shitty, slow, unreadable map to find random activities that unlock one type of unlock point. Specific activities give specific unlock points which can be used to unlock specific unlocks. Yes, you read that right. And you have to fast travel to the center of the map to unlock said unlocks. So you do one thing for an hour, then fast travel back, then walk back.

Your character is as slow as a dying turtle. Fast travel points are limited. Enjoy limping back and fourth.

There are puzzles that are easy, but because the developers are so incompetent it becomes impossible. You'll know what you have to do but sit around doing it endlessly because the game fucking sucks. Boxes will explode randomly, meaning you need to restart a challenge. Your character won't deploy its wings and falls. Falling = loss of health. Which means more "fun", like hunting down more fucking berries to collect. What the fuck? When will developers learn - picking up shit off the ground is boring as fuck. We play games to have fun, not pick garbage off the ground. I can do that in real life. I can't stab a monster with a sword in real life. That is fun. But in Immortals, you spend more time picking up berries than fighting.

For a game as shitty, non-functional and tedious there is no proper save function.

The story is shit.

Like most of Ubisoft's recent games, this is designed around paid boosters/loot boxes. In the game there will be dozens of garbage copy/paste side quests. You'll find that your character does not yet have enough stamina or HP to take these challenges on. Rinse and repeat. You litterally cannot complete some because you will run out of stamina and taking time to eat a berry will slow you down. There are no ways around this, there are no gradually challenging tasks. From the get go your character is unable to do the basic starting quests. Unless you fork over real money.

In summary, Fenyx Immortals Risings is everything that is wrong with modern gaming. Ubisoft once again shows it is an immoral company by releasing trash like this. They're a blight on video gaming as a whole. If someone burned down all of Ubisoft's studios video gaming would be much better.

0.5 / 10

Non-functional, moronic design throughout, not an actual game designed for fun. Get fucked Ubisoft.

Last edited:

M76

[H]F Junkie
With your track record this probably means it's a great game. I mean Wildlands and Odyssey are great games. Too bad I'm not a fan of this visual style.

Draax

Supreme [H]ardness
Half Life Alyx

After a couple of defective Reverb G2 headsets I finally got one that works (crosses fingers) and ventured into the oasis of VR.
Initially I was very hesitant to get into VR, with my only previous experience being when I played Dactyl nightmare, at the mall, in the early 90s as a pre-teen.

I was such a fool. The emersion of VR is game changing. In VR you are actually "in" the game, as opposed to being an outside observer looking through a window (monitor) into the game. Looking around corners, pushing open doors, ducking behind cover, tactile reloading mechanics are all something which needs to be experienced to be believed.

The game environment is beautifully realized. You can pick up and interact with nearly everything in the game. There is a mix or large sprawling vista set pieces, paired with dark and creepy underground corridors. I can't count how many times I just stood there in complete awe, at the visuals. The character Russel, who communicates with you during the game through a headset, is really well done. He has some funny moments that really helps to lighten the mood, which can get quite tense at times, as you will get lost in the game.

VR is not just a gimmick in this game, it is very creatively implemented. Sure there are basic things like opening doors, ducking under things, and picking up objects, but there are also times when you have to solve 3D puzzles to hack combine fabricators or lock boxes, or to reroute power.

I feel Alyx is a great transition into VR as its default movement scheme is teleportation, which is the least disorienting method of locomotion in VR, at least for me. It did take me some time to get my "VR legs" when I moved to a game like Medal of Honour: above and beyond. I never felt nauseated, however when I first got into VR there were some motion "sickness" (really just a weird sensation like I was still in the matrix) issues, but with time these went away and I no longer even notice them, or lose my balance when I come to a stop while using "shift locomotion" movement in VR.

There is a downside however ... I have NOT been able to get back into regular gaming on a traditional monitor. It just feels so lacking now that I have experienced VR. I cannot recommend it enough.

10/10

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
With your track record this probably means it's a great game. I mean Wildlands and Odyssey are great games. Too bad I'm not a fan of this visual style.

I think we found the Ubisoft shill.

Sarcasm aside, it is utter shit. At least Wildland's had nice terrian design and graphics. This thing has janky animations. Sometimes it looks like your character is limping and you think they're injured, and then you realize it is just the crappy animation system. You want to get to another platform? You need to hit the fly button (which may or may not work) and this points the camera top down looking like you're about to dive down. But your character moves up. Horrible camera/animation work that looks contradictory.

This is pretty much just a horrible BoTW knock off, designed around paid boosters. You know a game is trash when 50% of the activities in the starting area are not accessible because your character cannot possibly be upgraded through normal gameplay yet. And then the game gives you some pop ups telling you how you can purchase points...

And one of the major characters in the game has the literal purpose of selling your items for real money.

Ubisoft is easily the worst company these days when it comes to being so blatant about it.