review my pc build

taurus252

n00b
Case:Antec Performance One P160 ATX Mi
Power Supply:OCZ PowerStream ATX 2.01/EPS SLI Ready w/ Case Fan: 120mm - Antec 120mm SmartCool Case Fan Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI Audio/GB Processor: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 1MB 90nm Rev. E San D
Heat Sink Fan: 130150 - Thermaltake A1772 AMD Preferred Option
Memory: DDR (400) 3200 - 2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) Corsair
Hard Drive:SATA - Western Digital (WD740GD) 74 GB
Video Card: 190281 - Asus GeForce 7900 GT 256MB DDR3/PCI-E/HDT

I am planning on having this PC built by monarch- Im too lazy to build it myself.
Does this PC keep me str8 for at least a couple of years? I figure for now I get one video card and eventually upgrade to another. This sys runs me about 1800.

also I have another post about dual core processors, is that something that replaces SLI and can I somehow intergrate that instead of my chipset and spend money in other places? Im sorry IM a noob.

Dual cores would more likely compliment SLI rather then replace it. SLI is purely a multi-core setup for your video cards while "dual core" refers to a CPU that has two cores on a single die (from a technical perspective, they are two completely different things).

I don't see anything too wrong with your build at first glance, but I think that it might be poor judgment to only have a single 74GB hdd if your planning on keeping this rig for a few years. I mean, unless you want to have your shelves lined with data discs, it might not hurt to throw a 200GB 7200rpm drive in there to go along with the raptor.

So can someone tell me how much different a

athlon 64 3800+ 512k Venice (256.30)
is to a
amd athlon 64 x 2 3800+ Dual Core 512k (295.00)

Is dual core a worthwhile upgrade? any issues I should be aware of with it- does it still have weird bugs?

dual core is the future and they aren't very buggy at all. get the X2 and oc it a bit.

taurus252 said:
So can someone tell me how much different a

athlon 64 3800+ 512k Venice (256.30)
is to a
amd athlon 64 x 2 3800+ Dual Core 512k (295.00)

Is dual core a worthwhile upgrade? any issues I should be aware of with it- does it still have weird bugs?
Nothing that can't be simply fixed. I mean if you ever run into a program/game that doesn't like the dual-core proc then simply set the exe to run off one CPU in the task manager (logically, as far as the exe is concerned, it would then be no different then running it on a single core cpu).

Needless to say, I also agree that it would be very wise to go with a dual core processor.

Back