[Review] BenQ BL2411PT: IPS bomb that’ll finally destroy flickering Dell U2412M

No issue with blb

Nice, it looks like the BenQ BL2411PT are not plagued with blb issues :D.

My last 2 monitors both Samsung (a T220 and a S24A850DW) had severe blb so i guess i have come to associate Samsung with severe blb, i have even got used to severe blb but now when i have had a blb free monitor for more than 2 months i am in display heaven :D.

Actually when i look at my display history i have kept buying those Samsung blb panels for almost decade but i did not know better :facepalm:.

Last edited:
Does it Overclock to at least 72Hz and underclock to 48Hz without skipping (test with testufo.com)?

Thanks.

Does it Overclock to at least 72Hz and underclock to 48Hz without skipping (test with testufo.com)?

Thanks.

Overclocking the monitor is not my thing and would not even know how. If i need a monitor with more than 60Hz i would buy one made for the higher frequency.

My reaction rate is around 0.18-0.19 secs at best, see http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php and i guess when i am in a game reacting subconscious i could not be faster than +0.10 secs so a 60Hz monitor without artifacting or trailing is enough for me :D.

Maybe someone else with a BenQ BL2411PT has tried oc'ing it.

I don't play games AT ALL.
I need 72Hz & 48Hz for movies.

Currently I own an ASUS VN279QLB which goes 50 - 75Hz at native resolution, with 2600:1 contrast ratio.
But it has drawbacks like off center contrast shift and poor sRGB gamut coverage.

Side by side with my Dell U2410, I much prefer the Dell even with the low 800:1 contrast ratio.
Yes, the difference is not THAT big, 800:1 is enough for my my Cinema needs.
I miss the stability of Gamma, Contrast, Color which only IPS can offer.
I don't care for contrast ratio anymore, as it has less impact on image quality (IMO) compared to stable Gamma, Contrast, Color.

It is hard to find a quality (non chinese from eBay) IPS that overclocks well, or at all.

Anyone?

Last edited:
I agree on you on ips, ever since i saw a ips display irl for the first time in a computer store around two and a half years ago i knew i would never buy a tn-panel again.

Right now i am trying to convince my workplace to shift from tn to ips but there are a lot of ips misconceptions to overcome like: "ips is only for color professionals" and "ips are expensive" and "ips is this and ips is that".

But whats with the display oc, does the display get better? in that case what property improves?

But whats with the display oc, does the display get better? in that case what property improves?

Heh, no.

Actually any movie you buy (or not) on Blu Ray (or not) is 24fps.

72Hz & 48Hz are exact multiplies of 24 so the movie plays without judder like in the cinema.
60 does NOT divide to 24 equally, and the result is stuttering called judder.

Judder is a stuttering (mostly in camera pans) where it should be smooth.
That's why most TV's support 24Hz (True Cinema) mode.

Heh, no.

Actually any movie you buy (or not) on Blu Ray (or not) is 24fps.

72Hz & 48Hz are exact multiplies of 24 so the movie plays without judder like in the cinema.
60 does NOT divide to 24 equally, and the result is stuttering called judder.

Judder is a stuttering (mostly in camera pans) where it should be smooth.
That's why most TV's support 24Hz (True Cinema) mode.

I understand and yes i have noticed stuttering on camera pans but i always thought it had something to do with compression or maybe the eyes or the brain but i never knew a mismatch in framerate could cause it. Except from gaming i also watch a lot of movies on mine and if i could get a better pictire i am willing to try.

However i know nothing about display overclocking so i hope someone with a BL2411PT and knowledge of how to oc a display could give the BL2411PT a good oc "treatment" :D.

You telling me you have never watched a judder free movie?
My o' my, prepare to be blown away by smoothness.

What you got, Nvidia?

You telling me you have never watched a judder free movie?
My o' my, prepare to be blown away by smoothness.

What you got, Nvidia?

Judder is only one aspect that makes films appear as they do. Getting rid of it is nice, but you're still left with... The smoothness of 24fps. :)

Take it easy pal... The man have never seen Judder free movie.
It'll be smooth in comparison to... not smooth. :D

Yeah I agree it's nice to have that sort of thing. Personally like my VA panels and always run them at 48/72Hz if I can for judder-free movies. Definitely worth doing.

I too own an AMVA+ panel, but I want to go back to IPS.

Now,
Can anyone actually testify that the BL2411PT does 72Hz ?

I only get out of range at 72 or 72.001 so i guess the BL2411PT is not overclockable.

What connection are you using? I remember reading people got over 72Hz fine using DP on the BL2411. I'll see if I can find a link.

This post by the master himself from PCMonitors.Info clearly says the BL2411PT can go to 75Hz without frame skipping:
http://pcmonitors.info/forum/topic/ips-monitors-capable-of-75hz-at-native-resolution#post-27561

I just want to hear it from first hand experience.

stefanp67,

1. Change Timing Standard to "CVT reduced blank".
2. Lower "Total Pixels" (Horizontal & Vertical) till you under 165 MHz but don't go lower than native resolution in Total Pixels.

Whatever values i try when using a dvi cable i get "out of range", i will see later today if DP works better.

What the Pixel Clock shows? above 165MHz?
Are you on "CVT reduced blank"?

Try Total Pixels
Horizontal: 2080, Vertical: 1250

Yes, DisplayPorl will allow you to go higher than 165MHz, Its what I use.

I got a displayport cable but no luck yet. What i can see is that the following builtin resolutions gives me the choice of 60Hz or 75Hz:

1280x1024
1280x960
1280x800
1280x768
1152x864
1024x768

And the following gives me the choice of 50Hz, 59Hz or 60Hz:

1920x1080
1768x992
1280x720
1176x664

But making my own resolution has failed so far. I will give it some more tries.

-EDIT-

I managed to create 1366x854@75Hz

Last edited:
What if you just leave the timings section on Automatic and just type the refresh rate into the first box? That's how I usually do it. How high can you go at 1920 x 1200 on that monitor?

What if you just leave the timings section on Automatic and just type the refresh rate into the first box? That's how I usually do it. How high can you go at 1920 x 1200 on that monitor?

Leaving it on automatic i can go to 61Hz.

As for making my own resolutions adapted for movies, this is what i got working so far:

1440x900 48Hz, 72Hz
1366x768 48Hz, 72Hz
1280x720 48Hz, 72Hz

Last edited:
What is the max pixel clock you can reach?

Lowering the Total Pixels (Horizontal & Vertical) will lower the Pixel Clock but don't go below native resolution.
Stay at least 50 pixels above native at each direction.

This monitor can definitely go to 72Hz with 1920x1200 if you managed to go to 72 at different resolutions.

BUT, you have to validate that the monitor does NOT skip pictures (stutters).
This is done by looking at this site: http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

P.S
How do you like the new found smoothness with 24p videos? ;)

Last edited:
At 1920x1200 i can go to 61Hz, pixelclock = 156.6968MHz
At 1440x900 i can go to 86Hz, pixelclock = 152.9369MHz

Try 1920x1080, Manual mode, 2080x1100 Total Pixels.

Nope it did not work.

At least i can run 720p from 48Hz up to 86Hz. Neither the horizontal sweep frequency or pixel clock were that high so i think it's a limitation in BenQ's displaychip, maybe a firmware update could unlock higher frequencys at higher resolutions.

I bought one of these from NCIX.
The default brightness was too much, everything looks good at 40% brightness.
Sad it can't overclock beyond 61hz. :)

can you overclock using D-sub connection?

BenWah how is BLB? I did order my this morning (penidng PM approval).

Got my montior setup for the kids... I'm using setfanp67 settings and profile. The only setting I might have different is brightness level which might be different for everyone's different room setup.

I'm very happy with it. Other than expected IPS glow, there is no trace of BLB. No dead/stuck pixels I have noticed yet. The AG looks like is semi-matte, similar to my 32 LG 32LD450 (IPS) and it doesn't seem to be too strong to have any affect on PQ. The picture is very nice, although not super sharp, perhaps because I'm using lowly e-450 / HD6310 latpot with D-sub output to drive 1920x1200 rez. I believe at tha high rez the montior would benefit from dvi-d connection, to produce cleaner/crispier picture. I might try to add 72Hz refresh rate to it as per earlier instructions in this thread.

The swivel base is very handy, I was going to install it on the wall but I might just keep it like it is.

There is a plehotra of options. My only stupid gripe is the annoying blinking LED light when the monitor is in sleeping mode (I didn't look to hard to find a setting for it), I wish it just stayed on (maybe there is setting for it).

Thanks NCX for recommending this one. ;)

I'm not sure if I should dig this thread up again, but I returned an otherwise perfectly fine BL2411PT because of something I haven't really seen mentioned: the height adjustment simply doesn't go low enough.

The upper edge of the screen is at 18'ish inches at the lowest setting. Some people might be okay with that, but imho it's just not enough adjustability. I'm a bit over 6'1" and have a standard desk and yet I have to sit overly straight to avoid having to look up at the monitor's top row. What do shorter people or people with bifocals do to avoid neck strain with this monitor?

I'm a bit over 6'1" and have a standard desk and yet I have to sit overly straight to avoid having to look up at the monitor's top row.

How high is your "standard desk"? To copy and paste what I wrote elsewhere:

evilsofa said:
The standard desk height for a 5' 10" (178 cm) tall person is 29.5" (75 cm). For every 3" (7.6 cm) that the person is taller or shorter, the desktop height should be 1 inch (2.5 cm) taller or shorter.

But this does not account for keyboard use. The ideal height has your forearms parallel to the ground while using the keyboard. This height will be different for everyone. If you have a 29.5" desktop but are short, you may need a keyboard tray. The ideal situation is to get a desk that starts out as low as 24" but can be adjusted to the height that you need.

The other variable, obviously, is the height of your chair. Do you have it adjusted all the way down or all the way up?

I'm 5'11, have a desktop that's 29.75" high, I have the BL2411PT rotated to portrait mode - which means it's not all the way down and the top edge of the screen is 22" off the desktop - and the top third of the screen is at eye level. Which is why I'm suggesting something is not right with your desk/chair setup.

How high is your "standard desk"?

Well the "standard" for non adjustable desks around here is 72-73cm (around 28.5"), which is exactly what I have. It would be too low for me as a writing desk, but is actually fine as a computer desk (must add in keyboard height, 75cm for the desk would be too high already). My chair is somewhere in the middle of its adjustment range.

I measured my other monitors and they are between 16" and 17" inches off the desk. I like the eye level to be close to the top of the display when I have a normal relaxed (read: slouching) sitting position. If I ever have to bend my neck to look up at the monitor while reading it feels strange to me. People are different, that's why monitors are usually adjustable.

As I said: I don't doubt that there are people who are entirely fine with having some part of the monitor a little above eye level. For taller people it works out alright, I guess. But, for example, my wife is 5'0 and there's no way the monitor would be adjustable enough for her. So imho it's a flaw that should at least be mentioned.

EDIT: Bottom line: if someone is reading this and wants to buy the monitor, be aware that the lowest the top of it will get is around 18" off the desk. If that's fine, then that's fine.

Last edited:
Well the "standard" for non adjustable desks around here is 72-73cm (around 28.5"), which is exactly what I have. It would be too low for me as a writing desk, but is actually fine as a computer desk (must add in keyboard height, 75cm for the desk would be too high already). My chair is somewhere in the middle of its adjustment range.

I measured my other monitors and they are between 16" and 17" inches off the desk. I like the eye level to be close to the top of the display when I have a normal relaxed (read: slouching) sitting position. If I ever have to bend my neck to look up at the monitor while reading it feels strange to me. People are different, that's why monitors are usually adjustable.

As I said: I don't doubt that there are people who are entirely fine with having some part of the monitor a little above eye level. For taller people it works out alright, I guess. But, for example, my wife is 5'0 and there's no way the monitor would be adjustable enough for her. So imho it's a flaw that should at least be mentioned.

EDIT: Bottom line: if someone is reading this and wants to buy the monitor, be aware that the lowest the top of it will get is around 18" off the desk. If that's fine, then that's fine.

Agree! BenQ seem to make all their monitors for 7' b-ball players with perfect posture. They can adjust up to touch the ceiling it seems, but not low enough to touch the deck. As I am somewhat vertically challenged and wear progressive lens, I can't work with a monitor I have to look up to. Even eye-level can be a challenge.

However, there are VESA stand options available that actually adjust the monitor height up AND down. Turfed the stand from my BenQ and created my own VESA stand using only crude woodworking skills and a bad attitude. It sits just under 16" high. And may go lower soon.

I regard monitor purchasing like buying an Intel retail CPU for overclocking - the stock cooler and stock stand are just more things to take to the recycle center.

Kudos to most Dell stands tho. Allows the user to adjust the height to where they want it.

I read on some forums (prad.de and overclockers.ru) that this monitor has some sort of cross-hatch. Is this your experience? Do all the monitors with the same panel or coating have these problems? This makes choosing a monitor so difficult :(

Back