Review: Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 on 8800GT (dialup beware!)

Custom memory, mosfet, PWM sinks

Will those fit on a GTS (G92)? I vaguley remember seeing a forum posted link or something to another forum where someone CNC'ed that. Any chance you can give me a link or contact info?

Not sure. The guy who made them posts on XTreme Systems forum. His name is "iandh".

Thanks Blue Falcon and others :D, got my S1 rev1 installed few days ago. I've used preapplied paste along with 3 home made mosfet sinks and 120mm YL fan. The temps are 35C at idle and 45C at load softmoded with 756/1836/972 clocks ;-)

i just installed my rev 2..is it necessary to put extra sink on the vreg? i think thats what its called. the pieces by the power connection. since accerlero didnt come with any..but i notice people trying to cool it. btw this thing rockS! thanks

i just installed my rev 2..is it necessary to put extra sink on the vreg? i think thats what its called. the pieces by the power connection. since accerlero didnt come with any..but i notice people trying to cool it. btw this thing rockS! thanks

According to testing done by Arctic Cooling, the 8800GT doesn't require heatsinks on the voltage regulation components (MOSFETs or otherwise). If you plan to go above 700mhz on the core I would seriously consider doing it anyway.

1) For the long term, it's not a good idea to run sleeve bearing fans in any position but vertically. What happens to sleeve bearings IIRC is the sleeve has a little bit of play in a horizontal orientation and the bearing will wear much more quickly. If they're cheap throwaway fans, it'd be fine, but know that the fans life expectancy drops.

For what it's worth, the fans used on the 'Turbo Module' are sleeve bearing as well. :)

According to testing done by Arctic Cooling, the 8800GT doesn't require heatsinks on the voltage regulation components (MOSFETs or otherwise). If you plan to go above 700mhz on the core I would seriously consider doing it anyway.

im just running a stock xfx 8800GT..so i guess im fine

IsLNdbOi, Thanks for the info, managed to find the thread. Did you order yours through a PM or through this "petra" computer place? If "petra" can you give a url?

just installed mine 30 mins ago. its insane.

8800gt

before, my idle was 48-50C, and "real time HDR IBL" test would bring it to about 75C after 10 mins.

i set my fan duty to perm. 50%.

Now, i idle 32-33C, and my same display test is at 43C after 12 mins. Over 30C cooler under load.

just installed mine 30 mins ago. its insane.

8800gt

before, my idle was 48-50C, and "real time HDR IBL" test would bring it to about 75C after 10 mins.

i set my fan duty to perm. 50%.

Now, i idle 32-33C, and my same display test is at 43C after 12 mins. Over 30C cooler under load.

In conjunction with an S1?

My 8800GT idles ~54C. It's all passive (just the Accelero S1 Rev. 2 and custom sinks). Is that a good idle temp.?

i would have to say that is a little high even if it's running passively. You should try reapplying your thermal past and try reseating the sink again. Then again it might just be a case of bad airflow in your case. I have two 3870's in crossfire and they both idle at 38c , 40c and i am running both of them passively as well..

It's probably the airflow. It's in a SilverStone SG03 (SFF case). I didn't use AS5. Just used the MX2 that came pre-applied on the S1 since people are saying that MX2 works as well or better than AS5.

MX2>AS5

I have heard that it is MX2 preapplied, but havn't seen any proof that it is.

just to note, I'm pretty sure I got a rev 1. It only has 4 mounting holes at the heatsink. Newegg sold it as a rev 2 as seen earlier in this thread. So beware. It works fine, so i dont plan to return it. But the memory sink stickers sucked bad, not sticky at all even after cleanup.

Will the S2/Second Revision of this work with the first generation 8800GTS's?

the stock 8800gt i had did not have the sucky white thread memory pads however. It had much thicker grey pads that looked better. maybe i had a later rev 8800gt.

wow wrong thread. haha. s1 is awesome. thanks for the mini review though

I installed the S1rev2 with NO fan on my BFG 8800 OC last week and was impressed with the 33 degrees idle and 65 degrees (played COD4 1680x1050 max graphics for one hour). I installed one 92mm papst fan modded to 7v (can hear the fan over my cpu fan) and idle is still low 30s and 55 degrees (COD4 for one hr again). Original heatsink ran in the 80 degree range (COD4 on hour) but that was with fan running at 60% thru riva tuner. Also, the BFG had small pads on the stock ram heatsink instead of thermal paste, so I just wiped them with IPA and let dry. I haven't had any issues with the heatsinks falling off. Now I just need to quiet down my CPU fan..

I just finished installing an Accelero S1 Rev2 along with a Yate loon 120mm low speed fan. I installed the ramsinks, but left the mosfets bare. GPU Temps now seem to max out around 51 celsius. Its a three slot vidcard now, lol.

With the stock Evga superclocked cooler and stock bios, the temperatures would max out around 89 celsius. With the updated bios the temperatures would max around 85 celsius and the fan would simply get louder and louder at that temperature (ridiculously loud when loading UT2004 at a black screen not doing anything?)

Ambient temperature is 17 to 18 celsius (damn cold in Canada in the winter)

I am very happy with this product. Great cooling performance and cheap ($25) to boot.

When summer hits I'll rest at ease knowing its not going to fry.

These things sell fast, newegg had them in stock yesterday and they sold out without a couple of hours, luckily I got one :D with the turbo module.

Ok, today I started seeing idle temps. ~ 60C w/ my Accelero S1 Rev. 2. I really need to take my SG03 apart and find a better way to cool everything. There's no space to add a fan to my Accelero since I'm using the PCI slot right next to it. Would a 120mm fan at the end of the Accelero (the end of the card that has the PCIe power connector) help cool things?

I just installed the S2 version yesterday. I was a little skeptic about the difference between two heat pipes and four but it turns out I am getting the same temps as everyone with the S1 version. I added a low CFM fan that came with my Cosmos case that I was no longer using and temps do not go over 52C after running ATI tool or playing COD4 or Crysis. In case anyone was wondering the S2 version is just as good as the S1.

I've got an Accelero S1 Rev. 2 on mine right now, but also have a S2 on the way. Gonna try it out and see if it does cool as well as the S1. I'd like to get some of my SATA ports back that my S1 blocks.

I'm going to get the accelero S1 with the turbo module, but my question is, is a Qtip + Arctic Cleaner sufficient to clean off everything on the video card?

What I'm trying to say is, to clean off the die the ram sinks, and the surrounding part of the die, thats the "mainboard" of the video card. I'm really not too sure as it is my first time doing this.

I'm going to get the accelero S1 with the turbo module, but my question is, is a Qtip + Arctic Cleaner sufficient to clean off everything on the video card?

What I'm trying to say is, to clean off the die the ram sinks, and the surrounding part of the die, thats the "mainboard" of the video card. I'm really not too sure as it is my first time doing this.

I wouldn't even have wasted $$ on "Arctic cleaner", using rubbing alcohol + qtip works just fine, if it leaves any residue, just use the other side of the qtip and be done with it. .

I wouldn't even have wasted $$ on "Arctic cleaner", using rubbing alcohol + qtip works just fine, if it leaves any residue, just use the other side of the qtip and be done with it. .

That's so true, Arctic Cleaner is such a scam. 99% alcohol is awesome for cleaning this stuff, and it's like $2 for a 500ml bottle.

Heh, have had it for a while so it's not really new :p

heres mine with my twistie tie "mod"
comp5.jpg

If I put a 120mm fan on mine like that, should the fan be blowing air at the GPU or sucking the heat from it?

just ordered one from SVC.com

was pretty skeptical about the performance of this since it is so much cheaper than some alternatives but after the huge amount of feedback from this mini review i dont doubt it anymore!! I dont need stellar performance so i think i will try my 3870 without the turbo module first and see how she does.

Back