Review: Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 on 8800GT (dialup beware!)

Has anyone compared this to the Evga Akimbo Dual slot cooler? It's about $40 (+ shipping) and its a dual slot like an 8800GTX with a huge ram sink in the back. What do you guys recommend?

It depends. If you want a really quiet cooling solution, the Accelero + a quiet fan like a 120mm Scythe S-Flex is good. The Accelero can even be used without a fan.

The Akimbo is good too. It's basically an 8800GTS cooler for the 8800GT. I haven't compared temps. though between the two.

Im thinking about getting one since the fan gets noticeably loud when my card reaches 70something ("new" BIOS). I was also thinking about getting the ECS one to save myself the hassle of install/later uninistall but thats kinda pricey. How does the GTS G92 fan sound? Its not as bad as the stock 8800GT right?

It's not as loud, but since it's still connected to the 8800GT's fan header, it's still controlled by the 8800GT's BIOS so it may still ramp up and become noisy.

With the Accelero, you just put that quiet 120mm fan there and it's good even when you push your card.

It's not as loud, but since it's still connected to the 8800GT's fan header, it's still controlled by the 8800GT's BIOS so it may still ramp up and become noisy.

With the Accelero, you just put that quiet 120mm fan there and it's good even when you push your card.

I agree, I didn't need to put a fan on mine, but then again I have an Antec 900, not the quietest case , but definitely has good air circulation:eek:

Sure I could have used a fan on the heatsink, but dang, I don't have any spares left :cool:

Well the reason Im asking about the GTS G92 noise is that theres one for 210AR and the ECS GT is 195AR. So its like $15 for a slightly faster card but non-silent card.

I agree, I didn't need to put a fan on mine, but then again I have an Antec 900, not the quietest case , but definitely has good air circulation:eek:

Sure I could have used a fan on the heatsink, but dang, I don't have any spares left :cool:

I'm running my 8800GT + Accelero S1 w/o a fan as well. It now idles ~ 50C, but my case is a cramped SG03. Not too bad for passive cooling in a cramped case.

Well the reason Im asking about the GTS G92 noise is that theres one for 210AR and the ECS GT is 195AR. So its like $15 for a slightly faster card but non-silent card.

Tough call....Go with the 8800GT with awesome cooling, or the 8800GTS with semi-decent cooling?

Hmmmm.... I'd go with the GTS and run it with the stock cooler for a week or so to see how it does temp-wise, and if it's running too hot, slap an S1r2 on there.

I'm running my 8800GT + Accelero S1 w/o a fan as well. It now idles ~ 50C, but my case is a cramped SG03. Not too bad for passive cooling in a cramped case.

That's not bad at all, bullshit you not, that's roughly 4-5C higher than my old HD3870's idle temperature in my Antec 900. Pretty shameful, stock cooling that is.

Lucky ECS 8800GT owners with S1's installed at stock. :D

I'd rather have my XFX w/ its double lifetime warranty. Installing the S1 was a piece of cake and I got to use MX2 w/ it instead of whatever ECS put on theirs.

When tightening the heatsink down, is it better to use the screws that came with it ? or the original ones with the springs attached?

also, how tight are you supposed to tighten them down?

I've got my evga 8800gt with the S1 and no fan and I'm getting about 44 idle and about 54 load not bad considering its running with no fan :) and its dead silent..

When tightening the heatsink down, is it better to use the screws that came with it ? or the original ones with the springs attached?

also, how tight are you supposed to tighten them down?

Use the screws that came with it, and DONT FORGET THE WASHERS.

Hand tight should be good enough. That is, as tight as you can get it with a screwdriver. Don't go get out the power drill or anything.

well.... im really dissapointed. I bought one off fleabay and they sent me the wrong thing. I know what i ordered and the model number was the same on newegg performance pc's and any other place. And guess what? when it arrived it wasnt the right one because it didnt fit my card.

well.... im really dissapointed. I bought one off fleabay and they sent me the wrong thing. I know what i ordered and the model number was the same on newegg performance pc's and any other place. And guess what? when it arrived it wasnt the right one because it didnt fit my card.

If you're putting the Rev2 on an 8800GT, the retention bracket (where the screw holes are) on the hs itself won't make contact with the PCB. If that's what you're experiencing, then systematically tighten the screws in a criss-cross pattern until there's a firm hold established.

ok i got mine working too it turned out it worked. I used the stock mount on the back. My stupid sisters deleted the pics on their camera of the process of cleaning it and applying the ramsinks. i only have pics of it finished.
Cleaning the ramsinks for me was a peice of cake. the newer 3870's have a huge copper heatsink base and there are these rubby\gel things that go between the heatsink and the ram, they didnt leave any residue or substances on the ram. but i cleaned it with goof-off and rubbing alcohol and an eraser anyways. the ramsinks are on and hopefully they will stay. my computer case door is off and im monitoring it closely. But they have been good so far after a load of crysis for about 6 hours.
The temps are amazing, unless GPU-Z is wrong. im getting 27-31 degrees idle and 40-45load.

sorry for bad shots, the flash kept turning on and i didnt want to re-take the photos, i have a good camera but idk how to use it.
Im lucky with the fan, theres about 1mm between the bottom of the fan and the wireless card.

IMG_0041-2.jpg

IMG_0043-1.jpg

IMG_0044-2.jpg

IMG_0045-1.jpg

IMG_0046-1.jpg

IMG_0048-1.jpg

Can you use these on SLI'ed cards? How do you use the SLI connector when installed on two cards?

What's the best way to attach a 120mm fan?

I have a ziptie on each corner, but worry that they're straining the S1. Are two enough for the entire fan?

Can you use the standard sli bridge on 8800GT's in SLI using the accelero s1? Or do you need the long flexible one?

Since this thread came back up..

Just 2 days ago i got rid of those twin turbo crappy fans and zip tied a 120mm slow fan. Temps didnt really change, so i suppose its ok. Maybe 1-2C hotter.

Can you use the standard sli bridge on 8800GT's in SLI using the accelero s1? Or do you need the long flexible one?

You need a flexible bridge, Arctic Cooling sells one on their site but you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

I found it on their website, but its a link for ebay. I don't have an ebay account of paypal nor do I want one. Is their any other place that sells them?

You need a flexible bridge, Arctic Cooling sells one on their site but you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

I have the flexible sli bridge that came with my Asus M2N32 motherboard
would this be ok although it's just 8cm long instead of the 12cm long one advrtised by AC?

I have the flexible sli bridge that came with my Asus M2N32 motherboard
would this be ok although it's just 8cm long instead of the 12cm long one advrtised by AC?

Depends on how far apart the PCIE slots on your motherboard are...

Here is my experience with the Accerlero on my 8800gt. I was getting mad at it heating up and artifacting in TF2 after an hour or so. I volt modded my card and will use Rivatuner to push it further when I put an extra fan on it. (Redneck style) No problems yet. I have some pics but Im not sure how to post them here without hosting them somewhere...

Here is my experience with the Accerlero on my 8800gt. I was getting mad at it heating up and artifacting in TF2 after an hour or so. I volt modded my card and will use Rivatuner to push it further when I put an extra fan on it. (Redneck style) No problems yet. I have some pics but Im not sure how to post them here without hosting them somewhere...

You can use www.bbpix.com if you like :)

Thanks Im trying filedropper I guess thats another one on my list....
http://www.filedropper.com/picture025
http://www.filedropper.com/picture028
http://www.filedropper.com/picture019
http://www.filedropper.com/picture021

Basically, my experience went very well. I cannot stress how great it is to not have to manually adjust rivatuner to play games. If I didn't then my card would crap out on me in about an hour, OR I could have lowered my overclock but that's just blasphemy!!

My temps are ridiculously low for using NO fan and that's just because I haven't had the time to get a fan on it.

I had a hard time installing this thing (Those plastic L + T addons are annoying as hell! Kudos to anyone who managed to install them), but the temperatures are quite pleasing.

Beforehand I had a Zalman VF-830 on my card (Factory installed):
Idle: 49-50C | Load: 65-67C
Switching to my old Zalman VF-900 didn't help so much:
Idle: 47-50C | Load: 67-72C
With the Accelero (And the turbo module):
Idle: 45-46C | Load: 55C

The load improvement is the most important to me, so I'm quite satisfied with it :)

I had a hard time installing this thing (Those plastic L + T addons are annoying as hell! Kudos to anyone who managed to install them), but the temperatures are quite pleasing.

Beforehand I had a Zalman VF-830 on my card (Factory installed):
Idle: 49-50C | Load: 65-67C
Switching to my old Zalman VF-900 didn't help so much:
Idle: 47-50C | Load: 67-72C
With the Accelero (And the turbo module):
Idle: 45-46C | Load: 55C

The load improvement is the most important to me, so I'm quite satisfied with it :)

Holy thread resurection batman!:p

But thanks for doing it, as I installed mine last night. Hadn't gotten around to chopping up my case, but I finally did it.

CoD4 loads (for the top card, which is generally 3-5C higher than the bottom) were around 83-85C, Idle in the 65 range. Now the Idle is at 40C, the highest load I've been able to achieve is 58C. Hovers around 55C most of the time.

That's 30C. :eek::eek::eek:

Oh, and they are a lot quiter than the stock HSF on my G92 GTSs.

Back