Review: Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 on 8800GT (dialup beware!)

Hey all,

Wow this review just persuaded me to buy a 8800GT + Accelero S1, but before I do so (and may make a grave mistake), I wanted to ask the following questions..

1) Which brand besides XFX officially allows you to change heatsink? (Or, can they even tell if you slap on the original one before sending it back to RMA?)

2) I see that there's alot of replies regarding S1 rev1 and rev2.. what's the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

Wow this review just persuaded me to buy a 8800GT + Accelero S1, but before I do so (and may make a grave mistake), I wanted to ask the following questions..

1) Which brand besides XFX officially allows you to change heatsink? (Or, can they even tell if you slap on the original one before sending it back to RMA?)

2) I see that there's alot of replies regarding S1 rev1 and rev2.. what's the difference?

Thanks in advance!
1. eVGA for sure. BFG I'm not so sure about. Either way, you're supposed to slap the original back on and RMA it otherwise not even eVGA/XFX will process it.

2. Rev1 fits the 8800GT, GTS, 79XX series and a handful of others. The Rev2 adds a second set of mounting holes for stuff like the Radeon HD38XX's and whatnot as well as a bunch of other cards. -- So basically both fit the 8800GT/GTS g92's but the Rev.2's will fit even more models. No other differences have really been made to boost effectiveness, as far as I know.

Pretty sure BFG doesn't. I have a BFG and before I put my S1 on I looked at the warranty and really you can't do squat to your card w/o voiding the warranty. But I said f*** it. Not that I endorse it but if you need to RMA your card you can always just put the old HS back on

Does this also work on the 8800 GTS 640 i see on the ok cards to use it on the 8800 GTS (g92) works can anyone confirm? or what not?

im planing on finding one of these and buyin it!

Got my Rev.2 and the 120mm PWM fan yesterday and an eVGA 8800GT on the way! Will post up results.

Finally got my new system built. The 120mm PWM fan didn't work out, so I'm going to be getting a Scythe SlipStream fan instead.

S1 running passive yields a core temp of 42C/53C (Vs. 64C/88C with the POS stock cooler). Load temp results were taken after 8 mins of the ATITool Artifact Scan.

The only fans I have in my system for case airflow right now are a 25cfm SlipStream rear fan and the psu exhaust fan... pretty weak, but I wanted a nice quiet system and the S1 still performed better than what I expected since I gotta rma a Silverstone FN121 that didn't work out of the box. Once I get a working one, I'm going to use it for front case fan duty and slap another 25cfm SlipStream on the S1. Hopefully I'll get everything in the mail before next weekend and I'll post up the results as soon as I can.

:cool:

Got the replacement fan in. Moved the 25cfm Scythe SlipStream to the front and running the 53cfm Silverstone FN121 in the rear. GPU temps dropped a bit... now at 41C/50C passive!

[edit] idle temp is actually 38C! :cool:

Argh, it seems to be OOS at every site. I even checked all the vendors on Arctic's dealer list.

If anyone is still looking, I have an unused Accelero S1 (revision 1) + these custom RAM sinks:

image00010ph4.jpg

The Accelero S1's package has been opened. I used the 8 ram-sinks that come with the Accelero, but I didn't use the Accelero itself. The pre-applied Arctic Cooling MX2 is still on it as well.

If anyone's interested, please PM me.

Just wondering on anyones thoughts on performance using the Enzotech low profile ramsinks instead of the ones that come with the S1. Just wondering as I ordered them to put on instead the aluminum ones but was curious. the low profile copper ramsinks are the exact same height as the alum ones that are shipped with the S1

I have one for sale (see post #212 above). ;) ;)

Unless you need it for a card that doesn't work with the revision 1 Accelero.

You can put yourself on Newegg's waiting list too.

Just got my Accelero installed and my 3870 idles now at 29-30c and i have yet to see the temps go over 55c under full load and that is without the turbo module. I personally feel this is by far the best bang for the buck cooler.

I see that ECS makes 8800GT with accelero. Anybody here has experience with ECS brand?

I have that card. Working good so far. I'd report you some temperatures but I'm not sure what to use...every program I try seems to report something different - even if they're running at the same time. I can give some GPU-Z temps real quick though:

GPU Temp: 35.8 C
PCB Temp: 30.3 C
Ambient: 23.3 C

Core 700Mhz (stock shipping is 650Mhz)
Shader 1744Mhz (stock shipping is 1620Mhz)
Mem 1000Mhz (stock shipping is 950Mhz)

RivaTuner says the core is at 43 C.

anybody out there using the new single slot 3870 with the s1 rev2? i was putting it all together when i realized that the heatsink on the voltage regulator was too tall... now i've gotta figure out what to do... anybody think it would be a bad idea to use a cutoff and just shorten the heatsink(obviously after i take it off the card)?

anybody out there using the new single slot 3870 with the s1 rev2? i was putting it all together when i realized that the heatsink on the voltage regulator was too tall... now i've gotta figure out what to do... anybody think it would be a bad idea to use a cutoff and just shorten the heatsink(obviously after i take it off the card)?

too late... i used the cutoff and shortened the heatsink by almost 1/4"... it fits now...:cool:

Does anybody know where to find one of these in stock currently they seem to be sold out everywhere. Thanks.

I installed the S1 Rev 2 on my 8800GTS G92, and it has not disappointed me. Card only gets up to 56C after an hour of TF2 at 2560 X 1600, and I am running it passively (no fan). I don't think it idled at less than 56C with the stock cooler. What a mod!

The Accelero S1 Revisions 1 and 2 perform exactly the same. The only difference between the two are the cards that you can use them with. The Rev.2 is compatible with a wider range of cards.

The Rev.2 add compatiblity with the latest ATI cards and some older / lower end NVIDIA cards (8400GS, etc.).

The Accelero S1 Revisions 1 and 2 perform exactly the same. The only difference between the two are the cards that you can use them with. The Rev.2 is compatible with a wider range of cards.

The Rev.2 add compatiblity with the latest ATI cards and some older / lower end NVIDIA cards (8400GS, etc.).

Why the fuck are you yelling?

I thought yelling was if it was in all caps? I just made the font a little larger so people would notice it.

so you were using hand signals while you talked? ;p

i've got an ecs 8800gt, but the wires on one of my fans fell off. sux big time.

so you were using hand signals while you talked? ;p

i've got an ecs 8800gt, but the wires on one of my fans fell off. sux big time.

Well you'll be happy to know that the fans aren't even necessary for the Accelero S1 to keep your card nice and cool, so long as you have some amount of negative pressure in your case. I would still get in touch with ECS to see about replacing the broken turbo module fans.

Well you'll be happy to know that the fans aren't even necessary for the Accelero S1 to keep your card nice and cool, so long as you have some amount of negative pressure in your case. I would still get in touch with ECS to see about replacing the broken turbo module fans.

yah... doin that soon. i use it passive in my sg03. never goes to 60C. i had all my fans off except my psu... that was crazy. played warrock with it just fine. never hit 90's, but i did get high 80's with a little bit of crysis.

Nice! I will be ordering the Accelero S1 rev 2 in the next couple days! Thank you for the thorough step by step review!

The biggest advantage this have over my Thermalright is that it doesn't eat up alot of space. My Thermalright with the fans rendered almost all my PCI totally useless except for one. No room for my soundcard.

I just purchased mine today. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I am using it on a Diamond 3870. I did not purchase any thermal adhesive or cleaning kits because i read on performace pc's that the 3870 already has copper ramsinks and coper Vreg sink. But I have the newer Diamond card with the two heatpipes, so im not sure if this will be different, but if it is i alrady have some goof-off at my house and some rubbing alcohol.

Totally awesome review!! I lol'ed at all the innuendo too haha :D
I don't have a 8800gt but still it was a pleasure to read :)

^^ I don't think we need any pof this petty name calling, thanks. ^^

Besides, in internet-lingo the guy was pretty much screaming. I too wondered why he felt the need to 'yell'.

^^ I don't think we need any pof this petty name calling, thanks. ^^

Besides, in internet-lingo the guy was pretty much screaming. I too wondered why he felt the need to 'yell'.

Well he totally deserve it. I don't consider that yelling. It's isn't he's bluffing BS and useless comments. I don't mind people are doing that if they are helping out so I don't miss something important that could be helpful.

I'm surprised my message got deleted and his stupid comment stay on. Talking about being hyprocrite.

Back