Reverting to W7 after two months with W8

Not a user of surround - but after about 2 months on Windows 8 I went back to 7 as well. (made an acronis image if I ever want to try again)

Similar issue though with video drivers - my MSI 7970 is a pretty badass card, confirmed stable @ 1200Mhz no recent release of AMD drivers gives me full use of the card without issue.

Anything after 12.8 causes screen tearing at the windows desktop. If I'm on Windows8 throw in random reboots and video crashes on top of that (this is with a fresh install) Tried all different versions, different cables, different everything. Looks like both AMD and Nvidia have issues with drivers in Win8 (I'd say AMD is worse though historically speaking)

Win8 was "okay" - I only used it because I got a free license. (legal as well) The metro interface sucks ass, but the task manager and the new copy/paste system is quite cool. Too bad the shit crashes or suffers from graphical glitches.

I'll probably tinker with it in a month or two again -- I enjoy that kind of crap every now and then.

Anything after 12.8 causes screen tearing at the windows desktop. If I'm on Windows8 throw in random reboots and video crashes on top of that (this is with a fresh install) Tried all different versions, different cables, different everything. Looks like both AMD and Nvidia have issues with drivers in Win8 (I'd say AMD is worse though historically speaking)

How did you notice the screen tearing? What exactly happens?

Screen tearing is very noticeable when you see it. Basically, one part of the screen is out of sync with the rest, like it appears to slightly lag behind, and there's a clear line border.

Multimonitor support is not the same thing as eyefinity support, despite how closely related they are.

Eyefinity/nvsurround makes the OS think that it's looking at one large monitor. It's basically tricking the OS to think that the multimonitors are one monitor, and it will treat it as such. It's up to AMD and nVidia to make sure the proper features are supported.

In extended desktop mode, Microsoft did actually implement more multimonitor support features. So they did deliver on this front.

To be honest, it makes me wish MS would just go full tilt boogie on multi-monitor support and make eyefinity and nvsurround obsolete by putting that capacity in their own OS. Seems like a no-brainer.

I honestly believe that a lot of people convince themself to like this OS simply due to wanting the latest version. They learn to deal with the stupid shit so that they don't feel "not up to date".

Then of course there are people who genuinely like it, but I bet more people force themself to deal with it than those who actually like it.

I honestly believe that a lot of people convince themself to like this OS simply due to wanting the latest version. They learn to deal with the stupid shit so that they don't feel "not up to date".

Then of course there are people who genuinely like it, but I bet more people force themself to deal with it than those who actually like it.

And then there are those that go "meh, it's just another Windows OS" and get on with their lives. They don't feel forced to use it, they don't like it, but they don't hate it either. I bet that is the vast majority of people using 8.

To be honest, it makes me wish MS would just go full tilt boogie on multi-monitor support and make eyefinity and nvsurround obsolete by putting that capacity in their own OS. Seems like a no-brainer.

While that would be nice, it's not really a workstation feature. Eyefinity and nvsurround are purely gaming features, and I bet Microsoft does not feel obligated in any way to provide a feature less than 5% of their users would use. Especially since nVidia and AMD are already doing most of the legwork.

And then there are those that go "meh, it's just another Windows OS" and get on with their lives. They don't feel forced to use it, they don't like it, but they don't hate it either. I bet that is the vast majority of people using 8.

While that would be nice, it's not really a workstation feature. Eyefinity and nvsurround are purely gaming features, and I bet Microsoft does not feel obligated in any way to provide a feature less than 5% of their users would use. Especially since nVidia and AMD are already doing most of the legwork.

The argument against that though is DirectX. That's not a workstation feature either, and yet it is in windows and made by Microsoft.

Besides, with this whole cross-platform thing they are doing and with X-Box integration, multiple monitors might make a lot of sense and I'd wager more than 5% of their users would be using it.

But to genuinely like or dislike something like an I think you have to know the basics and actually try to use it. A number of the complaints from folks about Windows 8 show clearly that those complaints come from people that really haven't done either.

What always amazes me is who some people go on and on about how horrible some system level activity is, like the complaint I just responded to in another thread about setting the default language. How that's done in 7 & 8 is practically the same, go to the Control Panel and set the language, just that simple and similar. But the person complaining mentioned all of this pain and the utter horror of the Metro UI and all of this stuff that had nothing to do with the task at hand. Right click in the bottom left corner, Control Panel, change the language and done.

Yes, much of the resistance to Windows 8 is nothing but about simple changes that people aren't even trying to learn about.

Yes, much of the resistance to Windows 8 is nothing but about simple changes that people aren't even trying to learn about.

This is wrong. A lot of people who have used it and given it a fair chance come to the same conclusion. The fact that no one has been able to give a single argument for why Win 8 on the desktop is better (besides being a bit faster) should tell you something.

This is wrong. A lot of people who have used it and given it a fair chance come to the same conclusion. The fact that no one has been able to give a single argument for why Win 8 on the desktop is better (besides being a bit faster) should tell you something.

The argument I was making had nothing to do with Windows 8 being better on the desktop than prior versions, in particular Windows 7. The point was I'm making is that the differences between 7 & 8 that many harp on are virtually nonexistent. Changing languages between 7 and 8 is virtually the same for example.

I and many others have pointed on improvements in Windows 8 on the desktop when it comes to multiple independent monitors when it comes to multiple monitor setup. Windows 8 is better from the simple fact that the task bar spans replicates across monitors, at least up to three.

The argument against that though is DirectX. That's not a workstation feature either, and yet it is in windows and made by Microsoft.

Besides, with this whole cross-platform thing they are doing and with X-Box integration, multiple monitors might make a lot of sense and I'd wager more than 5% of their users would be using it.

DirectX started as a way for users to easily view multimedia, specifically videos and music, and evolved from there. It was a major reason for people to buy Windows over using Mac or Linux, because it made it significantly more user friendly. To remain competitive, especially against OpenGL, they had to keep evolving, otherwise game developers would switch to OpenGL, which would work on Linux or Windows.

I don't see a connection between xbox integration and eyefinity/nvsurround. If anything, console integration pushes single-monitor, or independent multi-monitor setups, not eyefinity/nvsurround.

Also, it seems to be a significant amount of work to get nvsurround/eyefinity working properly. I mean, nVidia and AMD still haven't gotten it working right on Windows 7 after 4 years. Where's PLP eyefinity/nvsurround mode? Screen tearing on AMD cards took 3 years to fix. Many non-FPS games still don't properly support eyefinity/nvsurround.

A lot have used it and didn't like it and a lot more have never used it, read the negative reviews, and regurgitated it as their own opinion. Then when they actually do use it, they are searching for all these flaws and of course they won't enjoy it.

And we have given reasons why it's better, some just a few posts above yours, which you seem to be willfully ignoring.

Screen tearing on AMD cards took 3 years to fix.
AMD never fixed screen tearing in Eyefinity display modes...

The only way to avoid screen tearing is to use an HD5XXX series card (which don't have the problem in any configuration), or use ONLY DisplayPort outputs on an HD 6XXX or an HD 7XXX series card. If you throw in a DVI or HDMi display, you get tearing in Eyefinity.

Most of the newer cards don't actually have 3 DisplayPort outputs, so it's simply not possible to run Eyefinity without tearing on them...

I tried - I used it for over two months but Windows 8 just isn't a good desktop experience for me. It had features I liked, the task manager is fantastic and it was a solid OS in general. However, the lack of proper Multi-monitor support from NV within Windows 8 just wore me down. Specifically with 3 monitors you either have 3 separate logical screens without SLI or you have one massive logical screen with SLI. There is no native way to maximize without the window covering all 3 screens without using something like Matrox PowerDesk which is still not 100%. NV claims that thier drivers interact with the Aero to get multi-screens working properly in 7 but that doesn't exist in 8 hense the failure to work properly.

On top of which the just plain square and garrish look of 8 windows I do not miss at all. If 8 had areo I wouldn't have gone back but alas maybe NV will get their drivers fixed eventually. Here is to hoping Windows 9 gets past the (self inflicted) Fugly asthetic growing pains of Windows 8.

Now here is what I would say are legitimate, well thought out reasons why the OP does not want to use Windows 8. :) Hopefully, the issues with Multi Monitor support will get resolved. However, Aero glass will probably never be back. (The Aero desktop is there, of course, from what I can tell, just not the glass.)

Thank you OP for this post, it is appreciated. (I do not have Nvidia in my machine but if I did, this is good to know.)

Windows 8 on the desktop is almost the exact same experience as Windows 7. Everything I could do in 7 I can do on 8 but 8 is considerably faster than 7. Was there a learning curve? Yes. Was there a learning curve from dos to 95? Yes. Was there a learning curve from 95 to 98? Yes, 98 to 2000? Yes...See a pattern here? Every single version of Windows required a learning curve of various difficulties. Windows 8 is unique due to Metro which is 100% totally optional. You don't have to use metro one iota if you don't want to. Personally I love Metro for my HTPC and gaming rig, my work station is in desktop mode about 85% of the time with important apps and programs on live tiles just for shits and giggles.

Is there room for improvement? Of course there is, don't think anyone would disagree with but Windows 8 is a solid addition to the Windows OS desktop lineup.

Now here is what I would say are legitimate, well thought out reasons why the OP does not want to use Windows 8. :) Hopefully, the issues with Multi Monitor support will get resolved. However, Aero glass will probably never be back. (The Aero desktop is there, of course, from what I can tell, just not the glass.)

Thank you OP for this post, it is appreciated. (I do not have Nvidia in my machine but if I did, this is good to know.)

Ya this is one reason why I'm gaming on 1 monitor now. I would like to see this fixed soon but it isn't a deal breaker for me as my gaming time has dropped off considerably. There are a few other negatives with Windows 8 dealing with remote access and server protocols but again that doesn't affect me so I can't really relate or comment on those. Smarter minds than mine will need to brief you on those.

Word on the strasse is Windows 9 and later will be pushing the metro experience, so don't get your hopes high. Honestly, I secretly hope the metro/Windows 8 theme gets pushed indefinitely just to see the disappointed reactions from future generations. Then again I'm a kind of person who finds pleasure in pain.

Let the cries of frustration fuel me for generations to come.

Windows 9 will be bigger push on Metro, with a castrated desktop... Then Windows 10 will exclusively use the Metro crap, and regular windows desktop mode will be excised from the OS, if history is any indicator.

Microsoft has their own version of Intel's "tick tock" with there OSes. One sucks, one is good, one sucks, one is good.

Windows 9!

Its more like one is innovative the other tweaks it. The innovation is like intels architecture and the tweaked on is like intels process shrink.

Everytime MS comes up with a new innovative idea people freak out, sad but true. Then the repackage the same exact thing a couple years later and people proclaim it the second coming of Christ.

AMD never fixed screen tearing in Eyefinity display modes...

The only way to avoid screen tearing is to use an HD5XXX series card (which don't have the problem in any configuration), or use ONLY DisplayPort outputs on an HD 6XXX or an HD 7XXX series card. If you throw in a DVI or HDMi display, you get tearing in Eyefinity.

Most of the newer cards don't actually have 3 DisplayPort outputs, so it's simply not possible to run Eyefinity without tearing on them...

Odd, because after a certain driver (don't remember which one), I no longer noticed screen tearing on my 6990. At the time I was running 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 active DP->DVI. Before that driver, it was extremely noticeable in FPS games, and I tried hard to look for the tearing afterwards and couldn't see it.

Everytime MS comes up with a new innovative idea people freak out, sad but true. Then the repackage the same exact thing a couple years later and people proclaim it the second coming of Christ.

And the perfect example of this is Vista compared to 7. Lot's of disruptive changes in Vista along with a number of performance and compatibly issues. Along comes 7 which is essentially a refinement of Vista with not a whole lot of big changes but tons of minor ones and it looks to have been very successful.

Odd, because after a certain driver (don't remember which one), I no longer noticed screen tearing on my 6990. At the time I was running 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 active DP->DVI. Before that driver, it was extremely noticeable in FPS games, and I tried hard to look for the tearing afterwards and couldn't see it.
Well, it's certainly not fixed here. This is an issue specific to Eyefinity, it does not effect single-screen or multiple displays in Extended Desktop mode.

Currently using the latest beta drivers on a Radeon HD 6970. I'm using three Dell U2412M monitors, the left monitor is native DisplayPort, the center and right monitors are native DVI. Center monitor is the primary monitor.

The left monitor (native DisplayPort) always tears when using spanned display modes. It's a fixed line 2/3rds of the way down the screen.

I can't say about you, I can only speak for myself, and for me, that's what I noticed. If I recall correctly, it fixed the issue for some people, but didn't fix it for others.

I can't say about you, I can only speak for myself, and for me, that's what I noticed. If I recall correctly, it fixed the issue for some people, but didn't fix it for others.
Great, so it's worse than broken, it's inconsistently broken...

Not true. The repackaged 7 again with a new lazy junky GUI.

So far everyone dislikes it, or doesn't see the point in it (apart from a few individuals...eternally

Well people have their bias no matter how extreme, windows 8 is the single most innovative main stream desktop OS ever, note I said main stream so don't go dig up some random Linux distro hardly anyone ever used.

If you cant see that its obvious you are bias, just because people don't like it does not mean its not innovative. Even if you compared it to mobile OSes its pretty innovative. Swipe in controls from each side are very handy, multiple apps open at the same time flipping through them quickly without the need for third party apps. A completely new dev environment from the ground up with RT / metro, but ya of course death princess cant see anything new there at all lol. its just reskinned W7... really man.

Well people have their bias no matter how extreme, windows 8 is the single most innovative main stream desktop OS ever, note I said main stream so don't go dig up some random Linux distro hardly anyone ever used.

If you cant see that its obvious you are bias, just because people don't like it does not mean its not innovative. Even if you compared it to mobile OSes its pretty innovative. Swipe in controls from each side are very handy, multiple apps open at the same time flipping through them quickly without the need for third party apps. A completely new dev environment from the ground up with RT / metro, but ya of course death princess cant see anything new there at all lol. its just reskinned W7... really man.

that was at best, a 2/10 troll. :p

Back