Reverse deal - Sell your $160 RX 470 for $350-$400 now on ebay.

It depends on if you're using them in a closed case, or an open frame. Most people I see use AIB cards with non-blower designs in an open frame. Usually the AIB cards offer a better cooling solution for lower temperatures. But with the OC'd models, you'll usually end up limiting power to keep your power consumption lower for a better profit margin.

Serious miners take the fans and shrouds off the cards entirely and use moving air supplied by stuff like a furnace blower in a tunnel that pulls air in from outside and vents outside. I did this too. Even on a day when it's 90 degrees outside, a furnace blower can cool a couple hundred cards if your rack is well built and thought out. I just used 2"x2" racking with cardboard sides.

Went to Fry's today to see if they had any AMD cards to replace my sold 470. Found a few MSI RX 570. Bought three out of five that were there. Plan to use one inside my computer and sell two. Lets see if they sell. I have the receipt if all else fails.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/112431225857?

Edit: These Ebay fees are ridiculous. They are about 10%. For what? They listed the sale and that is all. What a rip off.
Paypal is 3% but as far as I am concerned, they do more.

here's a dirty little secret - eBay owns paypal. They bought them a few years ago.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How would a Pro Duo 8gb hbm do for mining? If they're sought after I can get one for about $750 and flip. eBay is showing one sold for $1025 yesterday.

Speaking of mining, is there an actual currency now where it is profitable to mine? It was for bitcoin before everyone heard about it.

How would a Pro Duo 8gb hbm do for mining? If they're sought after I can get one for about $750 and flip. eBay is showing one sold for $1025 yesterday.

They're OK, but not worth the huge acquisition cost, be better off with 1070's if it came to that. They (Fury) just draw a smogload of power compared to what they produce. 470 is the sweet spot deepening on RAM (Hynix or Elpida etc) type, people are custom flashing BIOS with home altered versions and bypassing driver signatures etc to get every last hash out of their cards. Generally lower GPU and higher RAM for ETH , people are even tweaking RAM timings on these cards.

Doesn't mean it won't sell, it will, so many n00bs jumping in with no clue. I'm even having a hard time buying decent 560's because people are mining with them!

I sold my 290x on Ebay for 271. Insanity.... it does about 28.2 mh/s but it is burning 290 watts of power to do and that just the GPU.

In other news the difficulty factor is about to explode northward and in a few weeks to a month or 2 we should see the results. Meanwhile just sell those cards to the crazies on ebay.

Just picked up two more rx580's open box at microcenter for 221 a piece - the xfx 8gb which are going for 420-430 now on ebay. So 400 dollar profit - 80 dollars ebay fees - down to 320 - 3% PP fees - so another 24 bucks - down to 296 - still 300 bucks profit for not much work.

My Sapphire R9 290 TriX sold for $275 + $20 for shipping w/in two hours on ebay today. :)

The Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8GB is getting stupid money on fleaBay - I can make a profit and have almost enough to buy a new 1070.

Might have to throw mine up for sale - I love my card even though I don't mine, but the performance delta compared to the 1070 isn't worth the small price increase.

Wish I could sell and wait, but it is the only video card I have that supports my 4K monitor.

My Sapphire R9 290 TriX sold for $275 + $20 for shipping w/in two hours on ebay today. :)
Shit, my son has a 290x Lightning. Maybe I will sell it off, give him my 1070, and upgrade :D

Bleh, really trying to avoid having to ship. Been listing my 290 tri-x for $240 with no biters. Probably a good thing since I'd be down to integrated graphics if it sells.

Bleh, really trying to avoid having to ship. Been listing my 290 tri-x for $240 with no biters. Probably a good thing since I'd be down to integrated graphics if it sells.
haha. I am in that boat. To add insult to injury, I can't get this Ivy Bridge to output more than 1080p to this 4k monitor over HDMI. I think it can technically do 1440p. I don't mind not having a great video card a while because I don't play games that often but the resolution looks like crap.

I have an extra NIB MSI Gaming X RX 570 behind me from Fry's. I paid $220 + tax. I am reluctant to open it because the MSRP (according to AMD) is $180 or less for such a card and I feel that what I paid was a rip off. If someone could tell me that the MSRP of that card is indeed somewhere near where I paid, I will feel OK and open it to stop the torture.

Edit. Okay. See that this card costs the same elsewhere online. I am going to open it since it would be likely I'd be without a card for weeks if not longer.

Last edited:
I was considering selling my and my wife's pair of RX 480s, but have opted to keep them. Wow was it tempting to make a few hundred dollars for nothing, though.

haha. I am in that boat. To add insult to injury, I can't get this Ivy Bridge to output more than 1080p to this 4k monitor over HDMI. I think it can technically do 1440p. I don't mind not having a great video card a while because I don't play games that often but the resolution looks like crap.

I have an extra NIB MSI Gaming X RX 570 behind me from Fry's. I paid $220 + tax. I am reluctant to open it because the MSRP (according to AMD) is $180 or less for such a card and I feel that what I paid was a rip off. If someone could tell me that the MSRP of that card is indeed somewhere near where I paid, I will feel OK and open it to stop the torture.

Edit. Okay. See that this card costs the same elsewhere online. I am going to open it since it would be likely I'd be without a card for weeks if not longer.

That's similar to my setup. I have a 4k TV and use integrated graphics in my HTPC that can't do any higher than 2560×1600 (port limitation on the MB). In my view, 1080p looks better than 1440p or 1600p anyway on a 4k panel. The reason is that it upscales in a perfect 4:1 ratio. I think you'll find that going with a slightly higher resolution such as 1440p is not going to yield the sharper image you're looking for and in fact may look even worse (blurred text in particular is an issue). If you can't get a true 4k output then 1080p is the next best option in many cases.

I may have to send my GTR RX480 BE into XFX for warranty I can only imagine the turn around time to get it back or a replacement with this miner shit going on. :-( Good thing I can output 4096x2160 without issue to my living room tv with onboard and power my 1080 desktop monitor just fine without the gpu. I've thought about flipping the card when it comes back but I actually found a card that doesn't have issues with what I'm using it for other then I believe it's starting to hard lock my system. The STRIX cards I had previously were total trash.

Was at Microcenter today to exchange a 200mm case fan for one that won't rattle, they had a XFX RX580 4GB black model on open box for $210, figured why not since my home theater PC could use an upgrade, but after seeing that they sell for around $400 online I flipped it. Made a quick $170 after Ebay fee ($5 cap on the seller's fee special atm for sold items from now till 10 June).

I can imagine an unbelievable amount of whining from those who jumped on the hype train later on.

I listed mine (XFX 480 8GB) and it went nowhere. Oh well, I was perfectly fine keeping the thing.

How come no one is mentioning the probably better deal of actually mining with the cards?

How come no one is mentioning the probably better deal of actually mining with the cards?
Mine until it's sold. Chances are you won't be able to mine the difference before prices come back down to earth.

Shit 295x2's are selling at $700+

Here I come eBay, hello again Nvidia.
Holy crap!

I have a 295x2 and a pair of 290x tri's and a 280x, wonder if I should ditch all 4. They serve me well, but for the money... hmmm. What's so special about AMD cards anyway with regard to mining?

Holy crap!

I have a 295x2 and a pair of 290x tri's and a 280x, wonder if I should ditch all 4. They serve me well, but for the money... hmmm. What's so special about AMD cards anyway with regard to mining?

I am not sure how hard it is to mine ETH since they have been around for a few years but I can say this, we are speculating that they will be worth drastically more in the future than they are now and in that case, you might as well buy them with real money since you will make money either way if the price does go up.

Sold my MSI Gaming X RX480 8GB for $385 on EBay yesterday. Minus all the fees, I profited about $95 dollars.

Now I need a replacement card, perhaps a Nivida 1060 6GB will do.

I sold my 290x on Ebay for 271. Insanity.... it does about 28.2 mh/s but it is burning 290 watts of power to do and that just the GPU.

First rule of mining, don't be greedy and hard on your cards, that card should be undervolted, underclocked and the memory tweaked to bring it under control. You can drop that power consumption and still be at 90% of what the card can do OC'd. an RX 470/80 tweaked in this way draws less than 110-120 watts per card and deliver a consistent 25Mh/s. When I LTC mined with the 290x my power draws were less than 190 watts per card. Some cards are better at one type of mining than others as well, choose wisely.

I notice that sometimes stuff sells for insane prices.

I see listings for used 295x2s selling for $1200... O_O

I'm going to take pics tonight and sell my 280x, two 290x's, and my 295x2 and will just need to figure out what reserves to set. Thanks again!

Integrated graphics, here I come!

I'm going to take pics tonight and sell my 280x, two 290x's, and my 295x2 and will just need to figure out what reserves to set. Thanks again!Integrated graphics, here I come!

At this point you can just set the starting bid for the lowest you will accept. That's what I did with mine. Started at $380, up to $787 now.

At this point you can just set the starting bid for the lowest you will accept. That's what I did with mine. Started at $380, up to $787 now.
Awesome! What are you doing to protect yourself from fraud? Anything? Like writing down serial numbers or making a discreet mark or something? Maybe paranoid, but afraid someone with a dead 295x2 would try to do a switcheroo and claim it was DOA or some crap, lol! I only ever sell stuff locally, show it works, shake hands, and exchange cash.

Awesome! What are you doing to protect yourself from fraud? Anything? Like writing down serial numbers or making a discreet mark or something? Maybe paranoid, but afraid someone with a dead 295x2 would try to do a switcheroo and claim it was DOA or some crap, lol! I only ever sell stuff locally, show it works, shake hands, and exchange cash.
I would just take pictures of the card on all 4 sides.. and take a picture of it when you package it up. eBay seller protection should protect you.. but can't help to be more cautious... You can always have an indirect signature as well so they can't claim they didn't receive the product either..

I've thought about that, or that whey would run it for as long as the PayPal warranty is then return it. It's a risk that I think about a lot.

I'm taking dated pics of:
The card working in my system with a screenshot of it on the desktop.
The serial number and any other identifying mark on it, maybe I'll put a tiny red sharpie mark on it somewhere.
The card in the box unpackaged then packaged.
The box with the shipping label on it when I drop it off at USPS.

Still might not work if they file a claim, but you just have to hope they don't. I think if you end up with a brand new buyer winning with no feedback you can offer it to the second highest, I've done it before but don't know if they still offer that.

So my 8gb XFX 480 sold last night for 370. Was hoping to have a replacement card by now, so I guess it's back to the half broken 570 until my paycheck. Guess I'll get a 1070 with the profit.

So my 8gb XFX 480 sold last night for 370. Was hoping to have a replacement card by now, so I guess it's back to the half broken 570 until my paycheck. Guess I'll get a 1070 with the profit.

You can get a 1080 for around 400 bucks these days.

Back