Reverend Against Microsoft’s “Homosexual Agenda”

I think we've established one thing:

Everyone has an opinion. Everyone reads into things differently, particularly Holy books. Everyone has different faiths and beliefs.

Why don't we just leave it at that?

Some people feel so strongly that they feel they have the right to force their beliefs unto others.:(

Some of the BEST bible verses out there:

1) "Women should be silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak, but should be submissive, as the law also says." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

2) "Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her as a covering." (1 Corinthians 11:13-15)

3) "If any man takes a wife, and goes in on her, and detests her, and charges her with shameful conduct, and brings a bad name on her, and says, 'I took this woman, and when I came to her I found she was not a virgin..." (Deuteronomy 22:13,14)

"But if ... evidences of virginity are not found for the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones..." (Deuteronomy 22:20,21)

4) "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched." (Mark 9:43)

5) "One of illegitimate birth shall not enter the congregation of the Lord." (Deuteronomy 23:2)

LOL - hope you all arn't bastards and your wives are virgins...

Since no ones mentioned it yet, the CONTEXT of all of these is very important. It's very easy to take something out of context and make it sound awful. A lot of those are metaphors, analogies, or just plain point out the fact that we're all human, we're all going to sin, and the only way to go to heaven is to repent to God. Sin is not something we can avoid, however it's our choice to repent for our sins or to just go about our "merry" lives.

Someone mentioned Leviticus. Well, all of those were culturally relevant at the time. A lot of those were things that were just common sense at the time, so there's not a lot of cultural relevance today.

Context makes a huge difference in what the Bible means, and the first thing to be forgotten, is that we were not the original audience of it. For it to be significant to us today, we must know what it meant then.

Bah! I guess the "good" reverend also feels that gays should be segregated from our children and society as well, maybe sent to the back of the bus perhaps? (concentration camp, forced indoctrination center) Not allowed to rub elbows with normal better (whiter) people.

I dont believe in your thousands year old fairy tale.(and based on my observations, yall only do when it suits you) Therefore your entire argument means NOTHING!!! Bring me Science

Come to me with clear evidence that gays are a poison to society and I will be happy to listen and learn. Till then you are going to have to do alot fuckin better than, "Uhhh its a slippery slope that will lead somehow into an entire country of 300 million just going gay and belly down overnight!" Nonsense. How thinking adults can spread such stupidity is beyond me.
Name even one horrific historical event caused by homosexuals.

This is the same "lets induce as much fud as possible" we have seen in subject after subject.

Yeah they live in caves in afghanistan, took over planes armed with box cutters, but there is going to be nuclear terrorist event in the USA at any time!!!!.

Kids listen to the music, (or play the video games, or watch the rampant violence of network tv) and become suicidal or homicidal monsters!

You made a choice when you chose Jesus as your personal savior. Gay people dont choose. Stop inflicting your CHOICE, on those that have none.

Which deeper truth would that be? That it's all a bunch of disjointed preaching that's united only in the minds of the counsel of Nicea who only concluded that Christ was "divine" 300 years after he died? That truth?

Or the truth that only the scripture that fit the dogmatic structure of the church was allowed to be part of the approved Bible and that many books were excluded simply because they did not fit the desired canonical teachings of the church at the time?

Or how about the deeper truth that most holidays that Christians celebrate have their roots in pagan rituals, yes even Christmas and Easter (Hell, Easter has it's roots in rituals associated with Eostre, a goddess with her roots in Germanic regions, she was a goddess of fertility, which is why to this day eggs are associated with Easter and her name is also the source of words like estrogen).

Did you know that stories of supposedly divine entities being executed and returning to life predate Christianity by centuries? Ever heard of Horus? You should check into it. Born of a virgin, performed miracles, birth was announced by angels, witnessed by shepherds, baptised by someone who was later beheaded, tempted on a high mountain by Set (aka Satan), walked on water, restored site to the blind, was killed on a crucifix, resurrected after three days, etc. etc. etc. . . . all thousands of years before the first century CE.

Is that the deeper truth you were referring to?

ekierce!!! this is SOME of the truth i am referring to!

only truth can be found in the bible... the scriptures, and not from most of today's religious groups

any google search on christmas can show you its pagan origins, same with easter...
that is why i celebrate neither... don't celebrate holloween either, what self respecting christian would?

don't answer that ;)

the problem these days is that people really just don't care... i mean the origins of christmas are fact... yet plenty who claim to be christians would NEVER give it up, even though Christ NEVER told us to celebrate his birth, not to mention he was born some time in the fall not even close to dec 25... the 3 wise-men were actually led by satan the devil, and there wasn't a evergreen or electric lights, or a santa claus anywhere to be found

I think we've established one thing:

Everyone has an opinion. Everyone reads into things differently, particularly Holy books. Everyone has different faiths and beliefs.

Why don't we just leave it at that?

It sounds to me like you're trying to back off of that cookie promise :D

also, servant of shodan failed to mention that the first part of john 8 has been questioned as to its authenticity and place in the bible cannon

doing research is great :p

goodcooper, could you give me some references to read about questioning authenticity of John 8? I've heard before of questions relating to authenticity of part of Mark, but never John.
Thanks.

goodcooper, could you give me some references to read about questioning authenticity of John 8? I've heard before of questions relating to authenticity of part of Mark, but never John.
Thanks.

yea i think i know what you're talking about... the part you're referring to is mark 16:9-20... i'm referring to john 7:53-8:11... these are really the only passages in the bible that i know of that have really been called into question, but still kept in a lot of the newer translations just for good measure (good translations seperate these portions from the surrounding scriptures, just to make sure you realize what is going on)

well from what i read, according to writing styles and also the fact that they aren't found in a lot of the earlier manuscripts (Sinaitic or Vatican #1209), but are in some of the sixth century "Codex Bezae" and later greek manuscripts...

for example, one group of greek manuscripts puts the verses from john at the end of john's gospel, but another group puts it in luke chapter 21... totally fishy imo... same thing there with the ending of mark... multiple "short" endings and "long endings"... some stuff doesn't match up...

it is miraculous that the bible translations (not so much with the "versions") have stayed intact for nearly 2 millenia and countless language shifts... i guess these are just a couple of the battle scars

i'm not sure on any information i could link to you, as i'm extremely suspicious of religious studys up on the internet, you never know what you'll find... i'd say just google those two exact group numbers and take what you find with a grain of salt... just try to find the leased biased articles and papers

This right-wing Christian rant has nothing to do with homosexuality. He probably installed Vista and is just pissed at Microshaft! :D

Back