Return AW3418DW with corner IPS glow or keep a while and then sell?

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
I bought the Alienware AW3418DW 30 days ago. First one had tons of BLB and was replaced in a week.

The one I have now just has a lot of IPS glow in the lower left corner (20-25% of the screen). My wife doesn't notice it and thinks I'm crazy, but I see black on the right and light grey on the left. It's mostly fine in games and while I'm working, but I use a black background and I really notice it.

Alienware has refused another replacement unit - they said keep it or return it and one rep said a replacement was likely to have the same issue.

So I got a return label yesterday. I want to return it on principle, but I have no idea what to get to replace it. My system worked a lot better for me with 3 monitors / NV Surround than it does with a widescreen so I'll probably go back to that.

I might also wait for either the new Samsung 1440P 49" 120Hz Super-Ultrawide (but it's VA and I worry it will be ghosty) or the LG 38" 144-175Hz 1600P Ultrawide (but I think I'm easily annoyed by IPS anomalies)

I got this Alienware with coupons for about $700 and change out the door and my sense is that I can probably sell it for that or very close to it for at least the next 6 months.

The most attractive solution right now is to get 3 of the Gigabyte Auros 27" 144Hz IPS monitors but it's out of budget and will have to wait. (and the IPS panel lottery really sucks)

Three TN Panels like the Dell S2719DGF would be doable and I don't mind TN so much,

I'm also thinking of going back to 3x 1080P panels - 1440P is nice, but I a 1080Ti can really only push one at a time on newer games - but I think I could push 3x 1080 really well in lots of games.

I wish I wasn't such a fickle, indecisive perfectionist - the monitor market is frustrating as all hell.

Attachments

• AW3418DW 2nd ips glow.jpg
    AW3418DW 2nd ips glow.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yep. Panel lottery still exists in 2019. If it bothers you that much, get a refund while the window is open.

If the glow is something you can mentally overcome, then you can try your luck with that.

Selling later sounds like a pita. In six months, these might retail for $700 anyway. You'll be lucky to break even then.

Another option is to consider the Asus or Acer predecessors to this. They all use the same panel. The Asus has a less aggressive curve. The only thing the Alienware has going for it is the 120 Hz overclock option.

Still there is no guarantee those won't have BLB either.

Yet another option: You could always try to find a used one that doesn't have BLB.

Pretty much why I would never own an edge lit IPS display ever again. I would say give VA a shot and see if black smearing is something you can live with. I wasn't bothered by it anywhere near as much as I was bothered by IPS glow.

My choices were a Dell 2716dgr that I really liked on some crazy deal a few months back....or an OG 100hz Acer X34 for $350.

X34 has some issues, but I need the 3 windows side by side for non-gaming reasons.

If I was just gaming, a newer 27" 1440p 144hz TN pan is ideal for shooters.
Dell was even fine staring at VS Code, but real estate always wins over panel defects in my use.

I was pretty happy with my last few TN panels - including the S2417DG, but I just got the Asus PG279QZ - their 27" IPS 1440P / Gsync monitor and it's fantastic.

In terms of pixel response, I'd say it's virtually no difference and I'm sensitive to ghosty pixels.

The improved color and viewing angles are so much better and so much more enjoyable than I expected.

The first one had a little glow in the corner so I asked for a replacement. Replacement has some very minor BLB, but if Dell hurries up with my AW3418DW refund, I'll probably just pay for the replacement one and keep them both.

Then I'll just need one more to get back to a nice NV Surround system.

Problem is, this model is OOS a lot...

I think I have gotten a little used to the IPS glow, but for me, I think the major difference is that on the curved AW monitor, the glow would move around a lot as you moved your head. It's far less intrusive on a flat screen.

Back