Retro Nokia 3310 Comes to the US for $60

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
For those of you that have been waiting on a cool retro phone the Nokia 3310 (WARNING auto play video) is coming to the US. It's a nice small phone that easily fits in your pocket and has excellent battery life. I might have to get one of these as a cheap disposable phone.

If you've been mooning over the all-the-rage Nokia 3310 throwback phone, moon no longer. It's coming to the US on Oct. 29. The catch: The $60 phone will only work with 3G networks. That makes it fine for calls, games of Snake and the occasional email or Facebook update, but not for just about everything else you'd want to do on a phone.

You can get a real android smartphone for $60 and just put it in power saver mode. This thing should be $30

$60! I can walk into the local woolworths and get a 4g "smart phone" for that. The website doesn't have the cheaper ones that are typically in the display cases. Should be more like $15.

You can get a real android smartphone for $60 and just put it in power saver mode. This thing should be $30

$60! I can walk into the local woolworths and get a 4g "smart phone" for that. The website doesn't have the cheaper ones that are typically in the display cases. Should be more like $15.

$60 is very likely the straight unsubsidized price. You really cannot compare this to any smart phone other than they can both text and make phone calls. Some people only want the small and durable basics.

I wonder how secure these are to hacks (state sponsored and otherwise)?

Yeah, 60 bucks is king of crazy for this. They could have at least put a decent camera in it. FWIW, it could have been Android phone with just an old skool Nokia body. Given the spec, why not just use the original phone? Same thing and it probably has 3G. I guess Nokia figured if Nintendo did it with their NES/SNES classic why not do it with the unkillable 3310. We shall see if this one is just as unkillable.

[QUOTE="Montu, post: The catch: The $60 phone will only work with 3G networks. That makes it fine for calls, games of Snake and the occasional email or Facebook update, but not for just about everything else you'd want to do on a phone.[/QUOTE]

What else do you do with a phone than make calls and send a few texts?

[QUOTE="Montu, post: The catch: The $60 phone will only work with 3G networks. That makes it fine for calls, games of Snake and the occasional email or Facebook update, but not for just about everything else you'd want to do on a phone.

What else do you do with a phone than make calls and send a few texts?[/QUOTE]

Throw it at store windows to rob the place?

Might get this for my dad. Maybe this will inspire him to actually take his phone with him.

my mom still struggles with accidentally hitting icons and invoking random apps all over her smart phone, initiating random calls, fucking up silence mode etc so half the time I cant even call her.... i could see getting something like this, she likes buttons... she needs real buttons..

I bought a credit card phone for £10 ($13) on Amazon a few weeks ago to toss in the car for those rare times I get in the car and remember I haven't got my phone.

The call quality on it is fantastic. Loaded up with £10 of credit on a GiffGaff SIM, added half a dozen important numbers and its done. MicroUSB charging too so no extra cable needed.

I actually setup a new 3310 for a customer a few days ago. It's okay but over priced for what's out there now.

What else do you do with a phone than make calls and send a few texts?

Throw it at store windows to rob the place?[/QUOTE]

That might be something else I would use one for. Honestly I use the cheapest LG flip phone ATT has and I make maybe a hour worth of calls per week and a couple text messages if I can't get my sister to answer her phone lol. I just can't justify the cost of a smartphone or data plan.

Back