Retro Games

LFaWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi everyone,

Two parts question -
I am moving and found a CD copy of Street Fighter that I picked up from the bargain bins of CompUSA or Circuit City (remember those?) back in the days. The game requires MS-DOS. That got me thinking. Is there a way run those games reliably under Windows 10?

I also have other games (Chinese games, actually) that run in Windows XP and I have a Chinese Windows XP license for that, but how do I go about running them short of keeping an old computer around (I really don't want to as I have too many already).

Thanks for any help to point me in the right direction as I need to clear out all my old computers per the big boss' order.

DOSBox now has a Libreto core called DOSBox Pure, so it works on RetroArch to make it easier. It's now more up to date than the last standalone version which was released 9? years ago at this point. I'm not sure about the Chinese games, though.

https://github.com/schellingb/dosbox-pure

I have not run VM on my own PC before. When I launch the VM, can I choose the OS or a particular ISO to install it ? This is what I think I can install the Chinese version of XP. I supposed the VM will be done via emulation but would XP in the VM recognize my modern x299 hardware?

I have not run VM on my own PC before. When I launch the VM, can I choose the OS or a particular ISO to install it ? This is what I think I can install the Chinese version of XP. I supposed the VM will be done via emulation but would XP in the VM recognize my modern x299 hardware?
You should be able to install HyperV if it's a Windows 10 Pro install. I think it's under Features?

You should be able to install HyperV if it's a Windows 10 Pro install. I think it's under Features?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/quick-start/enable-hyper-v

Yeah I knew about HyperV but never tried it. Okay let me give that a try when I get a chance. I run VMs on AWS for work all the time, but never did it on my own PC.

Have you tried it under Windows 10? Check out the compatibility options before running. Search around for a particular games if there are specific solutions for it.

Other than that, there are a number of DOS emulators. Some work better than others, so it all depends. Best to play around and give it a try, I'm sure you'll find one that will work.
For WinXP, you can try any number of VM solutions: Windows' own HyperV, VMware Workstation, VM VirtualBox. There's more, these are just a few off the top of my head, all have plusses and minusses, so hard to recommend one.
You can go even crazier and do a dual-boot machine, but I'd say that's overkill and too complex. But, something I used to do back in the WinXP days.

No reason WinXP would not recognize your hardware. You may have issues finding some drivers, but if you go with a VM usually they standardize the hardware available to the system inside the VM box.

I'm not sure if talking about roms are permitted on here, sorry if it's breaking the rules.

But If you search for Mame and roms, it's probably easier to get it that way and they are functional on w10. I still play it all the time.
Every SF game I play still works like it did on XP, which was developed in 2005.

That inclused SF2-SSF2 Turbo, Alpha1-3, MSH-MVC. SF3 series needs a totally different emulator.

Back