Retailers Face A Hard Decision, To Sell On Amazon Or Not

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In an article from TheStreet, companies have been facing a tough decision, to sell on Amazon, or not. In order to reach more customers, companies like Nike, Microsoft, Sears, and Samsung have begun selling on Amazon. Natalie Kotlyar, a leader of BDO's Consumer Business Practice said companies that join forces with Amazon gain wider distribution and better shipping networks, but adds "The scary part is, the more companies join Amazon, the more it becomes empowered."

I completely understand companies needing to go where the customers are, but how much Amazon is growing, and how much share they have is a bit unnerving at the same time. That and I'm pretty sure Jeff Bezos is Dr. Evil. Thanks to scojer for the link.

Tuft & Needle realized that many customers prefer to shop on Amazon.com rather than an unknown e-commerce site, added Wells. He said that customers tend to trust Amazon, they may have their credentials (address and credit card information) stored on the site, and if they are Prime members, they like the shipping arrangements.

I think there may be a few be a few too many "Hard"s in that title line. Even if this is the [H]. :)

People trust Amazon for a reason. It has become a problem for other retailers, but they have to adapt or die. Amazon has been incredibly smart about how they expand and how they have got their name out there. Even with as big as they are most talk about their customer support is positive. Not all, of course, but the general message is Amazon still trains their CSRs well.

Prime is Grade-A.

It's hard for me to swallow the pill to go to a local brick and mortar store when I can get it for a lot cheaper but just wait for a day or two. That and the selection is a lot better than most brick stores, especially if you don't live in a big city. Gems like:

71LX5brKqML._SY500_.jpg

and
91vhW8dFDNL._SL1500_.jpg

One thing I have noticed recently is that ALL my packages from Amazon now come via their in-house delivery service, which I've always had problems with. They don't update the tracking information until hours after the event and they don't knock on the door, so sometimes I might have a package waiting on my doorstep for hours before I know it's there. I've had to resort to simply opening my front door and checking to see if there's a package there every hour. My first experience with this led 5 4tb WD enterprise drives sitting in the sun for hours before I realized - luckily they've been working alright so far.

I'm also a Vinyl collector, so having these sit outside unattended, especially during this heat wave, is pretty anxiety-inducing.

On top of this, the drivers don't come at predictable times - I get packages from their delivery service at 7AM at sometimes 9PM which, combined with their lack of proper notifications, often holds me hostage at my house for half a day when a particularly valuable package is incoming. I actually find, now, that I'd rather just go to Best Buy/Frys and just not deal with Amazon, especially since the physical stores will price-match.

AMAZON = "hey im missing the adapters that should have come with my $100 item" - response- "dont worry sure, we can either refund you $33 and let you keep the item, or overnight a new one, your choice".
Newegg response- "just ship it back to us and we will refund the oringle amount less shipping, and you have to pay to ship it back to us"
Best buy- "sir you opened it, here is the 1800 number for the manufacture, call them and ask for the missing items, they should show up in 2-4 weeks"

One thing I have noticed recently is that ALL my packages from Amazon now come via their in-house delivery service, which I've always had problems with. They don't update the tracking information until hours after the event and they don't knock on the door, so sometimes I might have a package waiting on my doorstep for hours before I know it's there. I've had to resort to simply opening my front door and checking to see if there's a package there every hour. My first experience with this led 5 4tb WD enterprise drives sitting in the sun for hours before I realized - luckily they've been working alright so far.

I'm also a Vinyl collector, so having these sit outside unattended, especially during this heat wave, is pretty anxiety-inducing.

On top of this, the drivers don't come at predictable times - I get packages from their delivery service at 7AM at sometimes 9PM which, combined with their lack of proper notifications, often holds me hostage at my house for half a day when a particularly valuable package is incoming. I actually find, now, that I'd rather just go to Best Buy/Frys and just not deal with Amazon, especially since the physical stores will price-match.

Those Amazon delivery times and behaviors would annoy me. I can see why you are considering brick and mortar stores for your purchases.

I'm right by a distribution hub, but so far they are sending me my packages via USPS and UPS. Dumb thing is the Sunday deliveries, since the Sunday USPS driver evidently doesn't have a key to the apartment, so they drive to the parking lot, mark in the system I'm not there, then drive off.

The only thing a REALLY, REALLY hate about Amazon is their web site and the horribleness of trying to find what you are looking for unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

Searching or even browsing categories is horrid.

People list stuff in the wring categories on purpose. Either that or 90% of the sellers are complete idiots.

Oh, you searched for a 2TB hard drive.... let's give you results that include stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with what you searched for.

One of the absolute worst websites to find what you are looking for.

Newegg on the other hand has one of the best.

AMAZON = "hey im missing the adapters that should have come with my $100 item" - response- "dont worry sure, we can either refund you $33 and let you keep the item, or overnight a new one, your choice".
Newegg response- "just ship it back to us and we will refund the oringle amount less shipping, and you have to pay to ship it back to us"
Best buy- "sir you opened it, here is the 1800 number for the manufacture, call them and ask for the missing items, they should show up in 2-4 weeks"

This!

They're fast, their service is amazing, shipping is amazing, and their digital services are now better than most. Why would I even bother going somewhere else unless it's for a specialty item that isn't available from Amazon (which in some of my hobbies is actually the case on occasion...) I'm more than happy to contribute to their retail domination for the time being. If they keep up their current practices, no problem. If they become anything less, I'll reconsider.

This. I look at stuff on NewEgg (they have a nicer, easier to navigate website) or if I want to see it in person, at Best Buy. Then I proceed to buy it on Amazon due to the superior customer service, hassle free returns, and fast shipping.

Amazon kicks ass. My last order was placed at 1 am and delivered that same day free with prime membership. No other online retailer can do that. Its my new go to place. Bah bye newegg.

Well, to search I use the Egg, I have HoverHound installed, hover over the button, and I'm on Amazon with that part I was looking for. No need to go through the excruciating pain of an Amazon search. And, sometimes, the Egg is cheaper, and I can normally pick up the part at their will call desk the next day if I want to.

Amazon will eventually start screwing companies just like Wal-Mart does. Sad.

This, a company I used to work for, outdoor power equipment, had to sell to Walmart below mfg cost if they wanted to sell through them.

I'd argue they probably already do. That's that way it works though. Companies either find ways to adapt or they die. That is the nature of capitalism.

Actually, many of Wal-Mart's business practices are not the nature of capitalism.

Remember in Empire Strikes Back when Darth Vader is talking to the Emperor? "He will join us or die." Hell, I buy almost all of my tech stuff (and rapidly expanding to to other categories such as home goods) that other stores barely exist.
Why? Amazon usually has a good price. Prime shipping (I've had good service where I live). Good customer service - when I have had problems, Amazon was fair and solved them without much of a hassle.
Several years ago, NewEgg got most of my computer business. Amazon took that over. Sure, I still occasionally look but often find a better/equivalent deal on Amazon. Of late, I've also been checking eBay - besides slow shipping, I've found some nice prices lately. Depends on if I'm willing to wait.

I've been pretty lucky. The ones that got the route for my house initially sucked .... but now I have the ones with legit vans (No more odd ball cars .... contractors that want to load up now) .... Ive only seen two different couriers in the last 5 or 6 times Amazon themselves delivered, both in vans, both rang the doorbell, both had updated the delivery before their vehicle even moved I was astonished at their speed at that ....

For my office (Who orders with Amazon Business) , I absolutely hate whoever delivers that when its Amazon courier .... I was there until 7pm last Friday working and hoping to catch the package (For a business they list until 8pm delivery .... ), nothing shows up by 7 when I leave so I check and it says at 6:30 "Business Closed" , when I had all lights on and was there, they didnt even try .... This is two deliveries in a row ...

Amazon just opened Amazon Fresh where I live. I reserve a time for delivery and I can add groceries to the order up until late the night before. For about 85% of my groceries I no longer need to brave the Hell of the local store. I get fresh (and I mean actually very fresh) seafood delivered to my door in time to make dinner. The seafood is locally caught by small operation fishermen and I can track who caught it and when. I can get locally grown organic produce from a farm I know. It's all delivered by my regular letter carrier. The prices are about normal. Some times a little higher and some times a little lower. Amazon has hit the nail on the head. Why go to Stop & Shop?

One thing I have noticed recently is that ALL my packages from Amazon now come via their in-house delivery service, which I've always had problems with. They don't update the tracking information until hours after the event and they don't knock on the door, so sometimes I might have a package waiting on my doorstep for hours before I know it's there. I've had to resort to simply opening my front door and checking to see if there's a package there every hour.

Yep, I don't know what the deal is with the rando's they have delivering my items, but they rarely ring the doorbell or anything. And they are just regular people in their own cars, not a white van with an Amazon logo on it (I did see these for a little bit but they are long gone).

How is that different from any other carrier! None of them knock on my door and a lot of time the update is a little slow.

It's called progress.

Many years ago it was "oh noes we can't have department stores , they will put the tiny shops that sell two things out of business."

Who the fuck wants to go to 20 different mom and pop stores with a shit inventory to get their days shopping done ? Raise your hand please.

Next it was " oh noes , we can't have Sears and other department stores move from downtown to shopping malls with all kinds of other stores in a convenient and covered AC'd environment" Who the fuck wants to go downtown to shop at the dept store then wall 4 blocks in the rain to another store and then another store , in the 100 degree weather or the snow and rain. Not me.

Then Amazon and other retailers started shipping online from a warehouse. Amazon chooses to give ridiculous customer service ( I've had shit already ordered and sent next day replacement while on chat with a CSR and told don't worry about sending the other back before I even get the conversation done) , while Newegg wants to fuck me on return shipping for a broken item out of the box , wait for it to arrive and then dick around with shipping me the replacement at the slowest speed possible ? Amazon is winning because the others chose to not make good decisions.

They've made my life easier with 2 elementary school kids and a new baby here beyond any other recent development. From low prices to best CS around ( for a long time prime heavy spender anyway ) , to getting shit next day without paying next day ( I'm one delivery day away from three huge hubs they have) , I truly do welcome my Amazon overlord.

The bitchy anti Amazon folks can go shop downtown in 95% humidity , with 99 degree temp making the heat index hell on earth , and walk to the 15 different mom and pop shops praying they actually stocked something to get your shit done.

I'll hit buy it now on my app or yell at Alexa to order my shit asap.

Best Buy actually has an amazing return policy, aside from the 14 day part. Less of a hassle than Amazon these days. I think people are just trying to justify their Prime accounts.

Either a company develops a safe and easy mechanism to sell on a website and learn advertising or they just offer their stuff on Amazon. It's easy to see why people sell on Amazon.

The big exception to Walmart is that Walmart tries to be a price leader in everything and won't stock it if it's pricey. Amazon has no such limits, except maybe shipping.

Back