Retailed Linux versions?

rsnellma

Gawd
Which retailed Linux version is pretty easy to learn the ins and outs? I was thinking of Mandrake or Red Hat. Thanks in advance.

Bob2001

You mean retaile, as in buy at a store? If so, I'd shoot for SuSe or Mandrake. You could also order Xandros online ( my current favorite distro)

Yes, I mean retail, like at store or online. I just need to learn linux fast and painless as possilbe. I have my A+ & Network + and should really get my Server + since I already know I could pass it. I have had several classes to prepare me for MCSE, but never got around to taking the exams. So, you get an idea of my background. Now I am being asked to learn Linux to support a Professor's Operating Systems class. Thanks again.

Bob2001

If you want to LEARN, and be able to support Linux then you better NOT go with one of the candy-coated distros. Go with something that is source based. I've seen tons of people that can install an RPM/DEB, but can't compile from source. I've never seen anyone that can compile from source not be able to install an RPM/DEB.

My personal favorite at the moment is Gentoo, but I was running LFS before that. I ran Mandrake for a year, and didn't learn a damn thing except to do a complete re-install if something was broken.

If you want to learn, you'll probably do much better using the command line to install and compile your own kernel and such. My favorite distro is Gentoo, and then there's Slackware. Look into them.

Like the above poster said, there's also Linux From Scratch. I've never used it, but I hear it's really good for giving you control over your Linux install.

I also recommend gentoo. Im in the same boat as the person above..i installed both mandrake and redhat, and learned nothing. After gentoo's install I had a working knowledge of how the system worked and I found it a lot easier to work with. I'd say if you want to learn, do a gentoo install fromn the stage 3 tarball (youll see what that means when you read the install guide..its basically the easiest way of installing). mess around with it, install some packages, learn how to compile a kernel, then go back and do a stage 1 or 2 install. you'll learn a LOT and hopefully have fun doing it.

I've just put Slackware 9.1 on a couple of boxes and so far I'm really liking it, config is easy with standard files and no tools that mess up the manual edited config files :) It was a bit more work to install than something like Redhat or Mandrake but the effort was worthwhile particularly for the minimal server which one of the boxes is acting as... just need to get the newer 2.6 kernel compiled

There's a great site out there that sells the full "retail" versions of the various distros, dirt cheap. Its like $2 per CD.

Some say this violates a licensing agreement. But I got SuSe 9 Pro for like $11 + shipping.

Can't beat that IMO. Nice, easy to install setup routines. Ignore what these guys are all saying about compiling your own kernal. Learn the OS before you move to the more advanced stuff IMO.

Once I'm comfortable with its inner workings, I'll move to something less pretty in its setup and configuration.

If you want to LEARN, and be able to support Linux then you better NOT go with one of the candy-coated distros. Go with something that is source based. I've seen tons of people that can install an RPM/DEB, but can't compile from source. I've never seen anyone that can compile from source not be able to install an RPM/DEB.

My personal favorite at the moment is Gentoo, but I was running LFS before that. I ran Mandrake for a year, and didn't learn a damn thing except to do a complete re-install if something was broken.

Umm... how is doing "emerge foo" in gentoo much different than "apt-get foo" or installgin an RPM?

Back