Retail RX 480 4GB to 8GB Memory Unlock Mod Works

You don't get it, and it's obvious.

Your point is obvious as well, and most likely was considered by the person you quoted, who still made the same conclusion which is correct, and unsurprisingly so.
Oh. I get it. I get that someone is so insecure that they feel bad because someone who spent less money got the same product. We need to set up a kickstarter for therapy funds. Oh Noes!!!!!

Oh. I get it. I get that someone is so insecure that they feel bad because someone who spent less money got the same product. We need to set up a kickstarter for therapy funds. Oh Noes!!!!!

I maybe feeding a troll, but it is a legitimate concern, in spite of your protestations.

Literally the only way this isn't a Marketing mess is if its a manufacturing mess and some cards accidentally had 8gb of Ram on the 4gb model.

Two products where marketed and sold, one at $200 with 8gb and the other at $170 with 4gb. The consumer had the option to pick one, upon getting home they find out that regardless of which product they bought, they got the same thing with a small software change, one that you or I could implement.

The issue is that the products where MARKETED as different products, and yet turned out to be the same. Those that paid extra do have a right to be upset, this is a PR hoodwink, no matter how you try to justify it.

I didn't like it with the 970 and yes it was worse than this problem, doesn't mean that this isn't a problem and really isn't the same old PR BS that people are fed and then some defend.*

Just because your 'red' or 'green' team (dumbest thing ever and if you identify as one or the other, you too can be dumb) doesn't excuse the company or their marketing. Nor does it mean that those that paid the extra for the 8gb product don't have the right to be angry that those paying for the 4gb product get the 8gb anyway.

So no, you don't get it, stop defending shitty business practices because you like XYZ company, shit is shit and deserves to be called out as such. Nothing will change if we don't change it.

*I know I have two 970's, I got them before the whole memory problem was known, and couldn't return them. I won't be fooled again by either side and neither should you.

The bitching is so strong here. It is clear AMD just made a shit ton of 8gb cards so they did not need to tool two separate lines for the release. They dedicated a % of those to 4gb cards so they had some available at release. People who paid for the 8gb got what they paid for. People who paid for the 4gb got extra. I am sure the people who paid for the 8gb card wont care in the long run.

So horray, AMD hooked some early adopters up. Unlike NVidia who will just force you to pay more for early adoption.

Now can we quit bitching and be happy for those people who got more than they expected?

The bitching is so strong here. It is clear AMD just made a shit ton of 8gb cards so they did not need to tool two separate lines for the release. They dedicated a % of those to 4gb cards so they had some available at release. People who paid for the 8gb got what they paid for. People who paid for the 4gb got extra. I am sure the people who paid for the 8gb card wont care in the long run.

So horray, AMD hooked some early adopters up. Unlike NVidia who will just force you to pay more for early adoption.

Now can we quit bitching and be happy for those people who got more than they expected?

Shame on AMD for being able to unlock your 9500 np to a 9700 pro.
Shame on AMD for creating the unlocked Athlon XP CPU.
Shame on AMD for being able to unlock your Phenom 2 cores
Shame on AMD for being able to overclock your HD 7950 to reach 7970 speeds way too easy
Shame on AMD for being able to unlock the shaders on your hawaii GPU
Shame on AMD for being able to unlock your Fury to Fury X

Shame on me for even wasting my time typing this. This is such a non issue its ridiculous. People who bought the 4gb just won the VRAM lottery, future shipments will probably only have 4gb.

More likely they found cards that failed QA with 8GHz 8GB ram and reduced them to 7GHz 4GB in order to get a sale without scrapping them.

Literally the only way this isn't a Marketing mess is if its a manufacturing mess and some cards accidentally had 8gb of Ram on the 4gb model.

Two products where marketed and sold, one at $200 with 8gb and the other at $170 with 4gb...
The issue is that the products where MARKETED as different products, and yet turned out to be the same. Those that paid extra do have a right to be upset, this is a PR hoodwink, no matter how you try to justify it.
*I know I have two 970's, I got them before the whole memory problem was known, and couldn't return them. I won't be fooled again by either side and neither should you.

The products were NOT the same. They had different bios files. A consumer of the 4GB card opens up GPU-Z and it shows *SHOCKER* 4GB. A consumer who bought the 8GB variant opens up GPU-Z and it shows 8GB. The consumer experience is that the cards are not the same when the plug them in and install drivers.

Intel does the SAME DAMN thing with their CPUs and speeds. There's just no bios file on the cpu that the consumer can change.

Just because Smart SAM consumer was tech-saavy enough to find out about this 4GB memory unlock and purchase the video card with the intent to flash the bios doesn't mean that DUMB DAVE who bought the RX 480 8GB from Best Buy got scammed out of $40. He walks out of Best Buy, plugs in the RX480 and it shows 8GB. He got exactly what he paid for.

Smart SAM is betting that his card will unlock. If it doesn't OH FUCKING WELL. He paid for a 4GB card, he got card where 4GB was present to the OS. From a company standpoint, you got exactly what you bought.

Are you going to troll the AMD threads when AMD's second batch of 4GB RX 480's only has 4GB of ram and can't be bios flashed to unlocked to 8GB? Will you be bitching about how AMD screwed the 4GB buyers because they removed the extra 4GB?

Last edited:
Another thing to watch out for is if they pull a Kingston and put slower performing RAM into the 4GB when they do the swap. All the reviews will be done so hey who cares what goes into that low life 4GB slum card down the road... :p

They sent out the second BIOS so reviewers could "test" the 4GB card they intend to change the specs on in the near future. Hey they may even put faster 4GB in it but who is to know. Are they going to send that batch out for review too?

Last edited:
Is there a way to tell how many chips the board has without removing the cooler and voiding the warranty?
If they only have 4 chips, you could look on the back of the PCB (assuming no backplate) and see if they're there, or if the PCB even matches the 8GB model. If it doesn't match, or there are only four sets of pins where the memory should be, then you probably got a 4GB card.

Someone from MSI gives more behind the scenes details.

ALL RX 480s from initial shipment are 8GB, the only 3 AIBs who had permission from AMD to rebadge from 8 to 4GB to meet demand were Sapphire, XFX and Powercolor. This was done in limited numbers until initial demand was met so look for those if you want to score an 8GB 480 in disguise. Realistically speaking, though, if you didn't buy one already chances are you won't be getting one until the proper 4GB models come later this month.

Sources if you can read Dutch (or google translate):
CJ's AMD Radeon Info & Nieuwsdiscussietopic - Deel 135 - Videokaarten & Beeldschermen - GoT
CJ's AMD Radeon Info & Nieuwsdiscussietopic - Deel 137 - Videokaarten & Beeldschermen - GoT

Pretty sure all the 4 GB models are gone now - lol. Looks like the card is generally out of stock just like the 1080 and 1070. Probably a good thing for AMD

Might is on the ass of a chicken.

This is one of the most confusing things I've ever read on the Internet. Off to Google this phrase now so as to better understand the chicken ass situation.

Edit: Google is confused about it too - and that's hard to do!

This is one of the most confusing things I've ever read on the Internet. Off to Google this phrase now so as to better understand the chicken ass situation.

Edit: Google is confused about it too - and that's hard to do!
it is a play on words from a phrase I heard as a kid....

Kid: "I might pay you back if I feel like it"

Bully: "mite is on a chickens' ass"

Something to that effect. This was a long time ago in the deepest of the south.

it is a play on words from a phrase I heard as a kid....

Kid: "I might pay you back if I feel like it"

Bully: "mite is on a chickens' ass"

Something to that effect. This was a long time ago in the deepest of the south.

South East of Southy South?

This reminds me of the original Athlon.. Amd had such great yields that they were selling the 600-700-750Mhz chips downclocked and labled as 500 / 550 Mhz cpus ..

once that came out you popped off the plastic and if you had a higher chip you could just unlock it and get a free 25% boost.. someone even even sold the "GoldFinger" devices to easily restore it back to its original clock :)

I stand corrected. I thought the whole 8gb thing was a fluke and maybe just a batch or 2 of preproduction cards came with 8gb but were stated as 4gb. Now the pics prove it. lol

This reminds me of the original Athlon.. Amd had such great yields that they were selling the 600-700-750Mhz chips downclocked and labled as 500 / 550 Mhz cpus ..

once that came out you popped off the plastic and if you had a higher chip you could just unlock it and get a free 25% boost.. someone even even sold the "GoldFinger" devices to easily restore it back to its original clock :)

Oh those were the days....lol

Why, can't I be happy AMD is squeezing value for those willing to flash/modify to tap it? Shall I contribute a Smiley for stronger effects? Here ya go :) I was one of those 6950 to 70 flashing X2 to X4 unlocking happy campers, tyvm.

Why, can't I be happy AMD is squeezing value for those willing to flash/modify to tap it? Shall I contribute a Smiley for stronger effects? Here ya go :) I was one of those 6950 to 70 flashing X2 to X4 unlocking happy campers, tyvm.

You can look at it that way if you want but AMD (or the AIBs) is(are) doing it for themselves, issues sourcing modules so they take the easy way out for a very limited amount of initial batch cards.

I have two XFX RX 480's right now that can be flashed to 8GB, it's cool and i'm happy it can be done, but I have two more coming which will likely not be able to perform this wizardry.

Back