Retail G4's coming soon....

also I would like to say that there is no such thing as a non-silver G5 :) Well, maybe Cathar made early prototypes out of something cheaper, but that would be it, and those would really be G4.1 G4.2 until he refined it into the G5 design ;)

Cathar said:
Well now we're talking about pure bling.

How about using the polished reflectiveness of the G5's mounting bracket in some way to point 3 separate offset colored LED's to create a rainbow color effect of blended colors against the tubing or something else? That way when you looked in, dependent upon which angle you viewed the block from it'd be a different color blend being reflected back.

I dunno. Seems to me that you can do just as much with something polished and reflective, as you can do with something that's clear and see-through.

Alternately go get the polished aluminium top plate chrome plated and go nuts on super-reflectivity.

I do admit to not being a bling-for-bling's-sake kind of person, and on the issue of a silver base-plate, the internal design pretty much prevents a person from seeing very much of it at all, except for a tiny strip at the edge, so focus on the bits that you can see and work with those.

Heck, could even get the mounting bracket anodised black then etched with some fancy patterns with the silvery lines of the underlying bare aluminium showing through, and THAT would look cool and unique.

No reason why you can't have bling and performance? That is why I got the Silver Cuplex XT as I really liked the look and I figured it couldn't be too far off the beaten path of performance just based on the design. :D

So if no clear plexi middle plate....how about a middle plate made out of sterling silver? If that was possible I guess I could make a clear plexi top that would show off well. :cool:

When I started designing this little project I wanted something that would look good in my living room. I have also been thinking of putting in a wall of water across the top half of the case with bubbles that start up when you hit the high score. ;)

Top Nurse, you really don't have to yet again use this thread as a justification for you own purchasing decisions, okay? Am glad that you're happy with your blocks, but for once can you just stop justifying your decisions, or at least, just not feel the need to do it within this thread?

Am happy to discuss/justify why certain decisions were make with respect to the Storm blocks and what users can do to beautify them if they want to, but can this please not turn into yet another thread with you glorifying your chosen gear?

Please, do not respond to this post with a defensive post. Be the bigger person, realise that you've taken one step towards hijacking this thread, that you should stop now, and let it go, okay?

Cathar said:
Top Nurse, you really don't have to yet again use this thread as a justification for you own purchasing decisions, okay? Am glad that you're happy with your blocks, but for once can you just stop justifying your decisions, or at least, just not feel the need to do it within this thread?

Am happy to discuss/justify why certain decisions were make with respect to the Storm blocks and what users can do to beautify them if they want to, but can this please not turn into yet another thread with you glorifying your chosen gear?

Please, do not respond to this post with a defensive post. Be the bigger person, realise that you've taken one step towards hijacking this thread, that you should stop now, and let it go, okay?

Okay. :) Actually I didn't intend for that to come off that way. :eek: I was just trying to come up with a way to see if I could get the G5 in something along the colors that would match my case project. Black does good with it, but there is already a lot of black in it already. Would it be possible to plate the delrin? I have seen before where people have put some kind of chrome over plastic.

Top Nurse said:
So if no clear plexi middle plate....how about a middle plate made out of sterling silver? If that was possible I guess I could make a clear plexi top that would show off well. :cool:

Hmmm, and add an extra $150US price to the block? For what purpose though? The middle plate serves no thermally conductive role of importance, so making it out of silver would be totally wasteful. Could perhaps use a different silvery galvanically compatible with silver metal, such as pure nickel, or a high-nickel copper alloy, and polish that up which would turn into a mirror finish.

If that were the case - then may as well make the top-plate out of the same metal.

I mean - what's the goal here - to look at silver and know that it's silver? Or to look at something that's just as nice and shiny as silver is?

I was just trying to come up with a way to see if I could get the G5 in something along the colors that would match my case project. Black does good with it, but there is already a lot of black in it already. Would it be possible to plate the delrin? I have seen before where people have put some kind of chrome over plastic.

You should be able to paint it (the outside) without worries and do all the usual tricks to gloss it up (10 layers of paint, light sanding between each layer, followed by gloss coats). Could paint it whatever color you wanted. Same applies with the mounting bracket. If you don't want it to be shiny silver, you could anodise it whatever color you wanted, or you could powder coat it, or whatever.

Cathar said:
Could perhaps use a different silvery galvanically compatible with silver metal, such as pure nickel, or a high-nickel copper alloy, and polish that up which would turn into a mirror finish.

That's sounds nice... maybe a poly-carb upper body where the threaded ports are located with the mounting holes intergrated. That is what I was planning to do, but rather than bother you with it, I was going to have it made locally.

Interesting to note, with all the people complaining of excess AC Buzz lately on the forums, since this thread has started 19 days ago it has had an average of 12.89 posts per day as opposed to the AC threads 8.31, pwned anyone ;) :p I guess it just goes to show you what great design Cathar does, and he should be commended for it, a whole big company taken down by one lil man.

Erasmus354 said:
Interesting to note, with all the people complaining of excess AC Buzz lately on the forums, since this thread has started 19 days ago it has had an average of 12.89 posts per day as opposed to the AC threads 8.31, pwned anyone ;) :p I guess it just goes to show you what great design Cathar does, and he should be commended for it, a whole big company taken down by one lil man.
I saw links to this thread at other forums too! :)

Cathar said:
Hmmm, and add an extra $150US price to the block? For what purpose though? The middle plate serves no thermally conductive role of importance, so making it out of silver would be totally wasteful. Could perhaps use a different silvery galvanically compatible with silver metal, such as pure nickel, or a high-nickel copper alloy, and polish that up which would turn into a mirror finish.

I mean - what's the goal here - to look at silver and know that it's silver? Or to look at something that's just as nice and shiny as silver is?

Nice and shiny as silver is :D Pure nickel would be nice! I can make my own plexi mounting plate that would show it off really nice. Suspect that there would be a big demand for a high performance cooler with a lot of bling.

Yo,
I got my storm a few days ago :)
Now i lapped it ;) Here are some pics:

Before:
my.php

After:
my.php

:rolleyes:

I've noticed that both Sidewinder and FrozenCPU are out of stock. :(
These blocks really must be in demand right now. I hope Swiftech starts pumping them out a little quicker. :)

Damn, i ordered 2x Papst 4312L 120mm Fans. And I tested them and theyre loud as hell :(
I want to order 2 new 120mm fans, wich have the less noise!
Any1 got suggestiosn?
I was thinking of the Nexus Silent 120x120mm but its got 22,8dB(A), if any1 knows any fans that have less noise plz tell me :)

LionKinG88 said:
Any1 got suggestiosn?

The Yate-Loon's. I don't know where to buy them in the USA though (I'm in Australia).

Alternately contact Bio-Hazard, I believe he has a host of the ThermalTake 1225L fans, which are the same as the YateLoon's (OEM rebaged by Thermaltake).

These fans are about 22dBA and 45cfm. They kick total butt for quite water-cooling. At 12v they aren't really quiet, but get them onto a rheobus and at 10v and lower they really quieten down very nicely.

LionKinG88 said:
Damn, i ordered 2x Papst 4312L 120mm Fans. And I tested them and theyre loud as hell :(
I want to order 2 new 120mm fans, wich have the less noise!
Any1 got suggestiosn?
I was thinking of the Nexus Silent 120x120mm but its got 22,8dB(A), if any1 knows any fans that have less noise plz tell me

I have 3 of the 120mm and 2 of the 80mm AcoustiFan Dustproof's and they are about as quiet as they come. :D

AcoustiFan 120

Fan Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25mm
Fan Start at 5V DC? Yes
Connector Type: 3 Pin
Life Expectancy (at 25 ° C) 60,000 hrs (6.85 yrs)
Included Accessories: 3-Speed Fan Cable, 4 x Wraps & 4 x Mounting Screws
Air Volume Throughput ±10%: 25.2 - 56.3 CFM
Acoustic Performance (DIN45635 @1m) <10* - 24.7 dBA
Fan Speed** ±10%: 675 - 1,500 RPM
Fan Housing Material: Glass FIlled PBT
Fan Weight: 156g
Connector Wire Length: 40cm
Operating Temperature: (-)10 - (+)70°C
Motor Bearing Type: Double Ball
Operational Voltage: 5 - 12VDC
Rated Current (at 12VDC): 0.13A
Rated Power (at 12VDC): 2.16W

Cathar said:
The Yate-Loon's. I don't know where to buy them in the USA though (I'm in Australia).

Alternately contact Bio-Hazard, I believe he has a host of the ThermalTake 1225L fans, which are the same as the YateLoon's (OEM rebaged by Thermaltake).

These fans are about 22dBA and 45cfm. They kick total butt for quite water-cooling. At 12v they aren't really quiet, but get them onto a rheobus and at 10v and lower they really quieten down very nicely.
I think this is one:http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=3009&cat=81&page=1
but I don't know if they ship to Finland

Oh hi,
soz didnt see that i got answers :)
thx all for ur answer, I bought yesterday 2x120mm Nexus silent (those wich are on the link that mohammedtaha showed)
So let's see if those will be quiet :)

I finally got mine!!!
Here's a pic to show the difference between a G5 and a Swiftech Storm:
plates6ph.jpg

Voyeurmods seems to have plenty, i got mine from there with no delay at all, heck they even upgraded my shipping for me.

http://voyeurmods.com/

I do have a question though on which pump to use for this. I was orginally thinking about getting 2 of the CSP-Mag pumps ($100 total) then running them in series or parrallel. But i was reading on this thread and it seems to be that the D5 is the pump to get. So just wondering which one to get, cause i reallly like the look of the CSP-Mag's.

Back