Retail 4770k from microcenter OC results

Those are some crazy high offsets you're inputting. On my P8Z77, with a .020 offset I get nearly 1.3V during turbo loads. I'd be really hesitant to use .1xxxx offsets.......but I guess this varies per board and BIOS. Also, like you hinted at - the thing about offset voltage is that the turbo voltage is unpredictable and involves a lot of guesswork/rebooting, and the non turbo voltages may not be high enough - causing BSODs while idle. It's really tough to deal with, although i'm not sure adaptive is any better in this respect.

And to piggyback on the unpredictable comment....there have been times where I've used offset voltage and the turbo voltage appears to be a certain value during prime (let's say, 1.25V) and then suddenly it jumps way up to 1.4V which causes instability. Ugh. I hate dialing offset voltage in, it's takes a lot of trial and error. Although, it's worth it in the end to prevent electromigration - obviously turbo voltage 24/7 isn't desirable since you're just outputting that much more heat from your system.

For sure. This is why I leave speed step and C-states enabled. When I'm playing games, the voltage stays in the 1.2 range when overclocked to 4.5GHz, and when I'm just browsing the web or w/e, voltage and frequency is nice and low. And through testing, I know that high voltages under stress tests won't cause instability- just throttling, which I'm ok with.

I started off by running prime95 on 3.9GHz with auto voltage, and saw 1.216 volts. That's my baseline load voltage, and using Offset is fairly predictable from there.

I'm just really surprised that games don't heat it up, despite seeing significant performance gains. But I'll take it.

Sounds like Haswell is too hot right? Not necessarily. It totally depends on what you want to do with it. If you just use your computer for Prime95, then you're going to live in the 4.0-4.3GHz range due to heat. But if you just play games and browse the web, your temps are going to be fine

Can you try this? http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039726735&postcount=1

It uses certain type of synchronization, and while I don't think it generates too much heat, I'm still curious how hot it can go, probably not much but my CPU has 68 on load in heavy games, and 70-73 in IBT thus it's not like I can find in on my computer. (And also I'm curious about Haswell results.) Disable boost before run.

yeah, sadly, rookie OC'ers do not know about boot straps nearly as much as they should.

Research straps guys, seriously. Also, the motherboard you're using has a lot to do with this as well. It's a 2 part step.

Way way WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too many problems with the 4770k. Surprised you guys are even dealing with them to be honest.

Last edited:
How were you able to buy 4 chips from MC? My MC checks and I can't buy more than one per month !

have someone in your family order you one and give them cash? aunt/uncle brother/sister mom or dad even a close friend im sure you know someone that doesnt have any interest in buying one for them self that could order you one.

I did read a PCPRO news article that stated a number of PC assemblers were having issues with retail Haswell CPUs, they were harder to overclock and produced higher temperatures.

I read an article last night and I just tried finding it again but it compared the real world speed of the last 4 or 5 Intel processors, all the cpu features, gpu, etc and they scored Haswell a F failing grade and recommended buyers avoid Haswell. It was a German website, some of you might of seen the same article. If you have please post the link. Very in-depth article, like 18 pages of tests, games, cad, applications, etc.

yeah, sadly, rookie OC'ers do not know about boot straps nearly as much as they should.
Nah, all OCers who haven't swapped out a clock crystal to get an Adaptec SCSI card to co-operate with increased PCI clocks = n00bs :D

Asus Sabertooth Z87 + 4770K Haswell + Corsair 80i
Just using ratio and vcore. Set bios at optimized defaults, enabled/disabled onbaord stuff,
Can get 4.3GHz at 1.11 vcore (1.126 as measured by CPU-Z at load). Using old Core temp (rc 3, I think).
Core 1 the hottest, with delta from Core 1-4 at 2to 3C degrees.
Idle temps 30 to 27C. Full load (Intel Burn 20 passes on high) temps 77 to 75C peaks, average 74-71C.
At 4.4 GHz, 1.2 vcore (1.286 as measured at full load) temps peak at 82C, average hi 70s. Not sure about Core temp, as the Corsair 80i fans doesn't run up to max at any time.
Decided to stick with 4.3GHZ for the temps.
Haven't tried 4.5 or 4.6, not comfortable with the temps at 4.4.

Why not comfortable with mid 80s? Just curious - The temps that occur in prime95 or linx will not ever happen under any load, and those temps are actually completely safe and normal.

My 3770k @ 4.7ghz gets temps in that range (mid 80s) with an H100 and it has been 100% stable for around a year. Again, prime 95 temps aren't temps that you will have in any other workload. You have nothing to worry about with mid 80s @ 4.4ghz :)

Nah, all OCers who haven't swapped out a clock crystal to get an Adaptec SCSI card to co-operate with increased PCI clocks = n00bs :D

I hate you. There are some memories best left to the past. :p

My kids think it's funny that my first taste of OC'ing used electrical tape to do the B21 pin trick on a pII 333.

Preliminary oc results without major tweaking, I'm running 4.3 at 1.2V, temps never getting above 63*C under a Kraken x60. single core I have going to 4.8, and so far no hiccups. This was a real quick OC and is not indicative of the max this chip can pull. Overall, I'm pretty happy thus far.

I read an article last night and I just tried finding it again but it compared the real world speed of the last 4 or 5 Intel processors, all the cpu features, gpu, etc and they scored Haswell a F failing grade and recommended buyers avoid Haswell. It was a German website, some of you might of seen the same article. If you have please post the link. Very in-depth article, like 18 pages of tests, games, cad, applications, etc.

Check your browser history...?

Why not comfortable with mid 80s? Just curious - The temps that occur in prime95 or linx will not ever happen under any load, and those temps are actually completely safe and normal.

My 3770k @ 4.7ghz gets temps in that range (mid 80s) with an H100 and it has been 100% stable for around a year. Again, prime 95 temps aren't temps that you will have in any other workload. You have nothing to worry about with mid 80s @ 4.4ghz :)

This is just the 1st week on this. I will bump up a little in the next week. I will eventually try 4.6, but with the 1.1+ vcore for 4.3GHz, I don't have much hope for 4.6 with this CPU.
4,4 or 4.5 is PROBABLY do-able. We'll see.
My 3770K on an Asus Pro Gen 3 will run stable at 4.8, although max temps with Intel Burn hits hi 80's. I have it running at 4,4GHZ at stock volts, and I have seen NO slowdowns. That one only has a 660 TI 3GB, but plays most games smoothly (Only have a 27" led, but it is a 3D monitor) at 1080P max game settings.
I just finished installing Metro 33, Bioshock Infinity, Far Cry 3, and Max Payne 3 on the new build. It has a Zotac 680 4GB, and Bioshock is amazing on a plain 27" lcd.
Haven't put the system into the workstation, yet, so haven't played any length of time.
Still have to set up my old X58/920 for a SAW in the office. It's ceiling high in junk, so that's my job for the next 3-4 days.

Stock Idle -> 28C
Stock Load -> 54C
4.2Ghz @ 1.2v Idle -> 36C
4.2Ghz @ 1.2v Load -> 75C

I have an H100i that i've swapped the fans out on to vortex cf-v12HB (1200rpm, 60cfm). I'm seeing load temps of 76C on one core running OCCT at stock clocks/voltage. For your test were you using the stock corsair fans at max speed? My fans feel like a mouse is coughing on the radiator to keep it cool, i'm just curious if perhaps my block isn't mounted properly or if it is the fans. According to the corsair software my water temps are only rising 4.4C from idle to load temps.

Last edited:
Sounds like Haswell is too hot right? Not necessarily. It totally depends on what you want to do with it. If you just use your computer for Prime95, then you're going to live in the 4.0-4.3GHz range due to heat. But if you just play games and browse the web, your temps are going to be fine.

This is my experience as well. For example at 4.3 GHz and 1.2V, my cores hit the low 80's with some specific FFT sizes in Prime95. With Linpack/IntelBurnTest, they're at ~83C. In Aida64 same settings, they are in the 60's C. Haven't even checked in games, but I would guess the temps would be lower than that.

temps2.gif

aida.gif

This is totally unlike my Phenom II, which would hit 58C in Prime95 and low 50's while playing games - much smaller spread.

So if you're using air or mid-range water cooling, you'll just have to decide what kind of overclock you want - One that runs games fine but *will* overheat if you run Prime95, or a "Prime95-stable" overclock that will be much lower.

Last edited:
I agree with you guys on rethinking what a stable overlock is. I can run aida64 for hours at 4.3, 1.17V and only hit a max of 70*C (29*C ambient). I run 2 cores at 4.5, and in gaming I never see above low 40's. If I want to see just how hot the cpu can get I'll run older software, but I don't think it's indicative of stable any longer. For me, if the machine does everything I ask of it without any hiccups/crashes/etc, then it's stable.

So if you're using air or mid-range water cooling, you'll just have to decide what kind of overclock you want - One that runs games fine but *will* overheat if you run Prime95, or a "Prime95-stable" overclock that will be much lower.

Until one, or more, games would use something CPU intensive, and then you'd have a toaster.

BTW can Haswell users run this? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1752444
Disable boost and post your frequency and temperatures.

Until one, or more, games would use something CPU intensive, and then you'd have a toaster.

BTW can Haswell users run this? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1752444
Disable boost and post your frequency and temperatures.

Same argument was raised about Furmark and GPUs several years ago when 4870's couldn't run the stress test even at stock.

There's a difference between a CPU/GPU intensive game, and a program specially written to constantly and totally hammer the GPU or CPU. Games will never be able to hammer the CPU like Prime95 does, because of the nature of the code being executed and the calculations involved.

That said, I prefer a "Prime95-stable" overclock. At 4.3 GHz, I can leave Aida64 with only the "Stress FPU" option, Prime95 with Small FFT or IntelBurnTest at Maximum, running overnight, and it will still be chugging along in the morning. The temp had crept to 90C and the room was noticeably warmer, but everything was stable.

Well my first CPU I found out was an open box and didn't OC for crap.. It wouldn't even boot into windows at 4.5ghz 1.250V. Got blue screens after the windows logo. I returned it since it was an open box when I got it and probably a return. This new one is 4.6ghz @ 1.25V I am in windows with no problems at all and even fired up prime 95 for a few minutes without issues. I will do more testing of course later but its already an awesome sign this thing is a good chip.

Batch # - L307B236 ..... The one that didn't OC well at all was L307B239

One thing I noticed is even at manual voltage on my board the voltage is still throttling.. I thought it would stay solid but honestly I want it to throttle anyways.. 29C at idle right now with a PHanteks air cooler...

Well my first CPU I found out was an open box and didn't OC for crap.. It wouldn't even boot into windows at 4.5ghz 1.250V. Got blue screens after the windows logo. I returned it since it was an open box when I got it and probably a return. This new one is 4.6ghz @ 1.25V I am in windows with no problems at all and even fired up prime 95 for a few minutes without issues. I will do more testing of course later but its already an awesome sign this thing is a good chip.

Batch # - L307B236 ..... The one that didn't OC well at all was L307B239

One thing I noticed is even at manual voltage on my board the voltage is still throttling.. I thought it would stay solid but honestly I want it to throttle anyways.. 29C at idle right now with a PHanteks air cooler...

Didn't buy mine from microcenter, but it requires 1.26v to boot at 4.5GHz. I don't think it's terribly unusual. Although I'm also running the cache at 4.5GHz, what's yours at?

Whomper I left the cache on Auto.. I know that if I move it to 45 I get crashes and CPU voltage doesn't seem to help any. I am currently at 1.250V @ 4.5ghz and I think I finally got it stable with DDR3 1866mhz. Soon I will try to start upping the cache and testing for stability and when im done with that I gotta figure out this Adaptive voltage and how to apply a setting that puts it close to the 1.252V I get under load. I honestly don't know how to use the adaptive voltage yet. I figure a 4.5ghz Haswell isn't to much slower than my 4.8ghz Sandy Bridge. Atleast I get some upgrades on the mobo department with better USB 3.0 and awesome fan control.

I don't think I want to push for a max OC, so I'm stopping at 4.5 @ 1.20v. Running Aida64 for 3 hours last night never saw above 75*C in a room that's 29*C. I don't feel the need to push any higher since that's a 50% increase in frequency from my old machine, and who knows how much higher IPC. I can't see anything being bottlenecked right now, and I can be happy with what I have.

I don't think I want to push for a max OC, so I'm stopping at 4.5 @ 1.20v. Running Aida64 for 3 hours last night never saw above 75*C in a room that's 29*C. I don't feel the need to push any higher since that's a 50% increase in frequency from my old machine, and who knows how much higher IPC. I can't see anything being bottlenecked right now, and I can be happy with what I have.

Looks like you got a real good chip. What is your cache running at?

Im sitting at 4.5 Ghz at 1.275 Volts at 55ish C on average with spike around 62-63c with some quite fans

Fine I guess

Im sitting at 4.5 Ghz at 1.275 Volts at 55ish C on average with spike around 62-63c with some quite fans

Fine I guess

That is very cold at that voltage.. are those temps during a stress test or just normal use?

Hadn't really messed with it, so stock 3.9. I guess I can try playing with that next, but like I said, I'm pretty happy so far.

From what I read the cache speed was linked with the old CPU's. Gotta try and get that up there :)

Anyone know how accurate the MSI tools / CPU-Z / CPUID hardware montor are for voltage / temp monitoring?

I left the all the voltage settings on my Z87-GD45 to auto and just bumped the multiplier up to 45x on my 4770k from MC. It's running AIDA / Prime stable so far and all the tools say it's only at 1.152v, temps maxed at 68C. Can this be right?

xFWX2Kt.jpg

Last edited:
Stable = 24-48 hours of Prime95, then 24-48 hours of burn test.

If no failures then you know you will be good to go with whatever you may throw at it in the future.

Best tested on at least a warm day.

This is my definition of stable, and even this I think is a bit loose.

I don't buy into the whole, well my games don't use that much CPU right now anyways argument. Eventually they will likely see 100% CPU usage, and on a hot day could cause problems.

Last edited:
Well it finally bombed out overnight so it's not fully stable after all :( Almost made it a full day though. Just bumped the voltage a bit & restarted, we'll see how it goes.

What utility will give the batch number, didn't think of writing it down before mounting it

Anyone know how accurate the MSI tools / CPU-Z / CPUID hardware montor are for voltage / temp monitoring?

I left the all the voltage settings on my Z87-GD45 to auto and just bumped the multiplier up to 45x on my 4770k from MC. It's running AIDA / Prime stable so far and all the tools say it's only at 1.152v, temps maxed at 68C. Can this be right?

xFWX2Kt.jpg

mine runs stock at that volts!!

Isn't that on the box?

it is on the box

Whomper I left the cache on Auto.. I know that if I move it to 45 I get crashes and CPU voltage doesn't seem to help any. I am currently at 1.250V @ 4.5ghz and I think I finally got it stable with DDR3 1866mhz. Soon I will try to start upping the cache and testing for stability and when im done with that I gotta figure out this Adaptive voltage and how to apply a setting that puts it close to the 1.252V I get under load. I honestly don't know how to use the adaptive voltage yet. I figure a 4.5ghz Haswell isn't to much slower than my 4.8ghz Sandy Bridge. Atleast I get some upgrades on the mobo department with better USB 3.0 and awesome fan control.

Cool, thanks for sharing. By the way, I haven't noticed any change in temperatures while playing with the cache. There was no difference between 4.5GHz cache @ 1.25v and 4.6GHz @ 1.325v. If that were core voltage, you'd see like 5+ C hotter temps.

It doesn't sound like you're putting a heavy load on the CPU. Prime95 small-fft should do the trick. I've been using CPU-Z's voltage reading for the sake of consistency.

I can play games all day @ 4.8GHz with voltage peaking at 1.3v and temps at 65C. But turn on Prime95, and my voltage blasts off to 1.5v. Obviously, it hits 100C instantly and throttles.

In other news, I learned that 1.41v manual voltage is the minimum I need to boot with 5GHz.

Back