Retail 2500 barton heatsink Q

DarkStryke

[H]ard|Gawd
My room is warmer then most of the house usually, just wondering if I should invest in a better heatsink (any reccomendations) or will the retail stock one be good enough? Don't intend to overclock it at all.

4 hours plus of Prime95 got my 2500+ with the stock heatsink/fan up to 51C... if you aren't overclocking I'd say the stock heatsink/fan is just fine.

If you are not going to be running it very hard, you should be fine. However, I had an overheat signal once while playing Warcraft II of all games. My dorm was rather warm, though, so that probably contributed to it. I have thought more than once of replacing the heatsink and fan just because it funnels onto that 60 mm fan. Some arctic silver 5 may help keep the temps down too.

Someone on here once said they got one of the 80-60mm adapters (and a 80mm fan of course), and got very good performance that way.

The copper-based HSF that came with my 2500+ is pretty decent, actually. I was running at 200FSB and didn't see temperature readings go over 50C. Then again, I had a well ventilated case and I used Ceramique.

If you are not overclocking, the stock HS is fine.

Back