Resurrecting old Hp laptop

magda

2[H]4U
I have a HP Probook 4720s, that I want to upgrade. More ram and SSD. It has 4Gb DDR3 (533mhz, 1.5V) 2 sodimms 2x2GB. A 10 year-old laptop

Would this new ram sodimms ddr3 1600mhz, 1.35V be compatible?

I reckom those are dual voltage, right?

I'm aiming to 16gb, but i can settle for 8gb.

Unless you already have the replacement parts on-hand and they won't cost you anything, I wouldn't recommend upgrading. Doing so would be throwing good money at old. It's a ten-year-old unit, time to get a new one.

Most RAM producers have a tool on their site where you can enter the PC make/model and get the correct upgrade. You could also pull the model # from an existing stick and get the specs from that.

Well its mainly office work, so I an old Corei5 is good enough for that.
Finally these DDR3 Rams are dual voltage right?

no not necessarily. use corsairs ram tool thingy on their site, if theirs say 1.35 then yes it will work. yes a quad core i5 is still fine for office work and surfing, yes an ssd will make a yuge difference, more than the ram will.

2nd'd on the SSD, it basically resurrects most old hardware with a spinner drive. I still have two old i5's that do a great for web surfing and other mindless tasks. I use them in my RV because they cost next to nothing and still do a good job for that type of application...similar to office work. You can get a small 240GB low end SSD for like $25 from amazon to keep the costs down.

Throw a cheap ssd in there, then replace the OS with either Chrome or another lightweight Linux variant. I've got same vintage laptops doing the same libreoffice and light browsing, or running as a audio streamer, with custom OS etc.

More than that I would suggest buying a new chrome book or similar. As even our $250 chrome book bought for the kids school is faster than those machines.

Thanks, as I said before it's gonna do some light bitcoin mining a ray tracing rendering (y)

Unfortunately, you will have to settle with that PC’s originally installed RAM. Arrandale CPUs such as the one that’s in that PC can only recognize a maximum of 2 GB per bank. This means only 8 GB of RAM total if that system has only two SODIMM slots. But all 8 GB DDR3 DIMMs and most newer 4 GB DDR3 DIMMs have 4 GB per bank, which exceeds the maximum official supported capacity of those first-gen i5 CPUs.

So, if you try to install 16 GB of RAM, then very likely your system will not boot at all or will only recognize half the total RAM amount because the installed RAM far exceeds the maximum supported RAM density on a per-side (bank) basis.

Reactions: magda
like this
Back