results from my new x2 3800+

dualblade

Supreme [H]ardness
i'm priming overnight to see what happens, but i'm about an hour in and so far so good.

ADA3800DAA5BV
LDBHE 0601XPBW

fsb: 300
multi: 9x
vcore: 1.45
full load temp: 44C (this is with a poor thermal paste application, it will probably go down when i fix it)

equipment:
air cooling: arctic cooling freezer pro 64 (awesome $30 hsf)
dfi ultra infinity (non sli nf4 ultra board)
hec orion 485d (very cheap $20ps but 12v rails of 16a and 17a and they're pretty stable)
2x512 corsair xms (cmx512 3200c2) ram. does anyone know the correct timings for this memory? corsair's site says 2.5-3-3, but that's no better than their value ram so what gives?

i get the feeling that i could do a bit better with more vcore, but i'd rather prolong the life of my chip. also, my board overvolts a bit under load. i've set it to 1.4, but it seems like it ends up somewhere between 1.4 and 1.45. i'm more than happy with 2700mhz, and 44C full load (about 30C idle) is just fine. i picked 300fsb because it provides an easy ram divider (3:2). i tried 9.5 multi, and i think it wants more volts than i want to throw at it. i bet if i gave it 1.55v or more, i could get the 2850, but i really just don't think i'll see a difference from 2700. hell, i doubt i'll see a difference from 2000 since it's dual core, but if i can have 2700 at around stock voltage, i'll take it. once i know if these numbers are truly stable, i'll try to push for less vcore or more fsb.

the kicker is that i got this cpu for $260 after tax and shipping (got in on the dell 25% off accessories deal). how ironic is it that my awesome amd cpu came from dell?

edit: 1.40 vcore is stable, still testing
edit 2: had to bump to 1.45v because inside-the-case temperature is higher. system now full loads at 53C

3800 X2 LDBHE 0601 VPMW

Ok just got this new stepping chip and ive got it prime stable at 2.7Ghz on Air with 1.48v.

It can boot at 2.8Ghz but needs more vcore which the board cant give. Ill get it on the DFI soon and see what she can hit!!

Same week stepping looks like a gooden. :D

Very nice if its stable. However I wouldnt use that PS in any system, especially a heavily overclocked one. No 20 dollar PSU is going to put out the amount of power its rated for - more like half that, if not less. Moreso, with a low quality PSU you're a lot more likely to get power spikes. It'll reduce stability, and can damage hardware. And if the PSU happens to burn out from being overstressed, there's a good chance it could take half your rig with it.

Basically what I'm saying is invest in a quality PSU if you care about your rig. Check the sticky on the PSU board to find out some reputable PSU manufacturers.

RavenD said:
Very nice if its stable. However I wouldnt use that PS in any system, especially a heavily overclocked one. No 20 dollar PSU is going to put out the amount of power its rated for - more like half that, if not less. Moreso, with a low quality PSU you're a lot more likely to get power spikes. It'll reduce stability, and can damage hardware. And if the PSU happens to burn out from being overstressed, there's a good chance it could take half your rig with it.

Basically what I'm saying is invest in a quality PSU if you care about your rig. Check the sticky on the PSU board to find out some reputable PSU manufacturers.

i know what you're saying, but it has had really stable rails under load. truthfully, i've always bought name brand psu's, and will be replacing it with a seasonic because it's too loud for my taste. with an overclocked 3800+ x2, a dfi mb, and a 7800gt i think it would be really obvious, really quickly, if the ps was putting out half of what it's rated for.

it's funny, i was having a ton of instability after getting the system up and trying to install the video card drivers with a blue screen every time the driver would install or the system would boot. since i just changed the mb, processor, video card, and power supply, basically anything could be at fault. after a ton of time troubleshooting, swapping parts, and more than my share of frustration, i finally figured it out. it was the most difficult problem i've ever had to troubleshoot - it ended up being the monitor! yes that's right, my monitor's manufacturer wrote the EDID (display info) so poorly that all the resolutions it entered as possible choices were the same one (it wrote the same one 8 times), and it was a resolution that doesn't exist! (248x155) i previously had an ati card, which just uses the EDID as a guideline, so this problem didn't show up. the nvidia drivers have no option to ignore the EDID, so in order for the drivers to not force-switch to 248x155 and bluescreen, i had to download, correct, and reflash my monitor's EDID so it contained better info. how's that for a troubleshooting nightmare....

Thats a nice OC from an X2 you don't see too many hitting 2.8 without alot of Vcore, or even 2.7 for that matter :p

Nice one :) I havent voltmodded my board yet so im stuck at 2.6ghz at the moment. Since I can get it prime stable with 1.375v, I know theres still room.

for ease of mind, corsair value ram timings are 3-3-3-8, at least for the 1gb sticks. not too sure about the 512, but i think its the same.

Nice OC, I forgot to write down my stepping info, but i've been messing around overclocking since 8 this morning right now im 4 hours into Prime95 (2 instances of Blend torture test) @ 2.6ghz. Cooling with a big typhoon current temps while priming are 42-43c. I'm pretty positive i'll be able to hit 2.7 on this pig. oh, im currently at 1.4v :)

it's in my first post, but that's pretty long so it's easy to miss. i got the x2 from dell. they had a coupon for 25% off desktop accessories (of which pretty much all hardware is part of). shipping was free, but i did get charged tax. the total came to about $260. i think it was about $240 without the tax, so a really dynamite deal for a dual core. that was the impetus to rework my system - was previously using an athlon xp @ 2100mhz on an abit nf7-s and a radeon 9500 pro

Awesome results right there!

Im looking into buying this board myself with an opty 165, Ive read some reviews and they say the NB cooler is pretty loud, do you see any space for maybe the zalman blue chipset cooler ? Are those chipset coolers effective ? I mean Id rather have your results than having a passive cooler limit that.

Another one for ya :p Ive been hearing great stuff all around from that cooler and its got the sexy looks too, does it have a good fit ? And is it quiet ? :D

Juic3 said:
Awesome results right there!

Im looking into buying this board myself with an opty 165, Ive read some reviews and they say the NB cooler is pretty loud, do you see any space for maybe the zalman blue chipset cooler ? Are those chipset coolers effective ? I mean Id rather have your results than having a passive cooler limit that.

Another one for ya :p Ive been hearing great stuff all around from that cooler and its got the sexy looks too, does it have a good fit ? And is it quiet ? :D

fit is good as far as component interference goes, but it's 90 degrees out of phase from what i was expecting. i wanted the fan to blow through and the hot air go right out the back of the case, via my 120mm exhaust fan. on this motherboard, instead of either facing front or back, the heatsink faces up or down. i have it facing up, as there's no reason to fight heat's natural motion, and it helps draw air up from the lower part of the case (where my 7800gt and northbridge are). as far as the northbridge fan goes, i swapped it with a copper vantec chipset/vga cooler. it wasn't a direct fit, as the holes on the mounting tabs (on the sides of the heatsink) were too far apart. i dremeled off a bit of metal and now the fit is good. one thing to consider is that the chipset is in the way of higher end video cards. my 7800gt overlaps, and if chipset cooler were any taller, it would interfere with the graphics card. if you're going to replace the chipset hsf with something else, make sure it's very close to the height of the stock unit, or you'll probably have problems with your video card.

this should illustrate what i'm talking about. it's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but the heatsink on the graphics card just barely clears the top of the chipset cooler. between the 7800 gt, the soundblaster live card (with cable for front panel), and the scsi card, it's a bit cramped down there

do yourself a favor and throw another gig of ram in there, you'll notice a tangible difference in general application speed and performance.

is 2gb the norm now? didn't realize we'd jumped up, but i'm going to have to wait a bit on that. spent a chunk of change on this upgrade, and i've gotta change the psu now (after i opened up my hec and saw what the guts were like, i'm less than impressed) so no upgrade money for a while. thanks for the advice though

Tutelary said:
do yourself a favor and throw another gig of ram in there, you'll notice a tangible difference in general application speed and performance.
no you wont. you'll notice a difference in some specific things, but general application speed and performance? 1gb is more than enough. hell, i recently upgraded my comp from 512mb to 2.5gb of ram, and i barely notice a difference. i cant alt tab out of cs:source faster now. granted, i may b held back by my current cpu, tho.

but ya 2gb... i dunno. depends on how long you plan on staying with s939, as the new socket uses ddr2, so you wouldnt b able to re-use whatever ram u have now.

Soymilk said:
no you wont. you'll notice a difference in some specific things, but general application speed and performance? 1gb is more than enough. hell, i recently upgraded my comp from 512mb to 2.5gb of ram, and i barely notice a difference. i cant alt tab out of cs:source faster now. granted, i may b held back by my current cpu, tho.

but ya 2gb... i dunno. depends on how long you plan on staying with s939, as the new socket uses ddr2, so you wouldnt b able to re-use whatever ram u have now.

maybe YOU wont, but I certainly did as did a lot of other people I speak with routinely. mileage varies I guess. If all you use your system for is things like CS:S, probably not.

nice, yeah i got this 4200+ i have thats a week 50 of 05 running at the same speed but undervolted to 1.35, but when running at full load it goes up to 1.376. I wish i had the extra L2 cache but hey i am not complaining.

Tutelary said:

General applications? Probably not. Specific applications? Yeah. But general home use, the only people ‘feeling’ the difference between 1 and 2GB are the one’s trying to make themselves feel better about their purchase :D I use my comp for everything from games to vid encoding to CAD, 2GB doesn’t make a significant difference. In fact, going back to 1GB and getting a better overclock was better for me.

I got the same stepping as you Dual, here's some of my rough results for comparison:

1.37 (my AN8 overvolts the CPU)
2000 mhz -> 2700 mhz

2700-2800 mhz

2800-2900 mhz

My AN8 isn't the exactly a top overclocker either. It'll do 300 HTT no problem up to 2400 mhz, but I don't think it wants to do it above 2800 mhz, though I haven't played with it too much yet.

12+ hours Prime stable (those are idle temps obviously):
3800-x2-2800mhz.jpg

wow, you did pretty good too. i'm going to have to retry this overclock when i get a better power supply, as it's possible i might get a higher stable speed. even if i don't, i'm pretty happy with 2700. my dfi seems to have no complaints at running high fsb, as i haven't had any instability the way it is now

homersapien said:
General applications? Probably not. Specific applications? Yeah. But general home use, the only people ‘feeling’ the difference between 1 and 2GB are the one’s trying to make themselves feel better about their purchase :D I use my comp for everything from games to vid encoding to CAD, 2GB doesn’t make a significant difference. In fact, going back to 1GB and getting a better overclock was better for me.

3800-x2-2800mhz.jpg

I beg to differ as I've noticed a difference in everything from opening thumbnail folders with a thousand images to simply moving around in windows explorer, to any kind of photoshop work, alt tabbing to and from games, etc. I'm sorry, but the 2 gig difference isnt "in my head", and I dont need to feel better about a purchase.
A much used and abused unofficial photoshop bench will likely prove you wrong btw.

1.) Download the test image from http://www.quicklance.com/test.jpg
2.) Save it to the computer and then open it up in Photoshop
3.) From there please apply a 'radial blur' with the settings at:
Amount = 100
Blur Method = Spin
Quality = Best
Using a stop watch / ps timer see how long it takes to apply this filter

I've seen people cut their time in half with another gig.

Great work on that OC. How does it perform while gaming? That is, if you play games.

Hey guys since we're on the X2 3800+ subject, I have one that idles 45-46 C and full load around 55 C on the (stock cooling with the pre-applied thermal pad)... does that sound normal? I haven't even started overclocking it. My 3200+ Venice idles 35C and full load 40ish C (stock cooling with the pre-applied thermal pad). Do the Manchester cores really run that much hotter over Venice? Sorry, I'm still a bit new on the whole AMD thing here.

Well if thats the stock heatsink, sounds about right. Think about it. It is 2 cores instead of 1.

I just built an X2 3800 computer for work (and overclocked it to 2.4ghz). Idle temps 30C, load temps 47C, with stock cooling.

In constrast, my X2 at home (same OC, shoved in a warm closet), Idle temps are 33C, load 52C.

Your stock temps are a bit high, especially the idle.

yeh those temps seem slightly high...i think it would be best if you got an aftermarket and once you start oc'ing try to stay under 55 degrees...i prefer to keep them under 50 :p

btw nice oc's on these x2's...are all the new steppings this good?

tesfaye said:
Great work on that OC. How does it perform while gaming? That is, if you play games.

i've been super busy the last few days so i only had about 20 minutes to game on it. it seems to hitch a bit in need for speed most wanted, but that might be the graphics card settings. i'll hopefully get a chance to sit down and break it in this weekend and then i'll have a more comprehensive review

Back