Restrict MSN Live Messenger on desktop

techtips

Gawd
Hello everybody, not sure if I should post this here or not so lets see if anybody has a solution to my problem.

I have a co-worker which is part of our Help Desk team and he is one of the laziest workers I've ever seen. He comes in late, sits on msn and plays with his blackberry playbook most of the day. Think office space....he does about 40 minutes of work in a solid 8 hours.

We want to log in as local admin onto his desktop and prevent live messenger from working. We don't want to implement this via Server side. Is there a way of modifying the local computer policy to prevent live messenger from working?

I have come across software that blocks certain applications but this software needs to be installed, thus being in the add/remove programs listing.

Any ideas?

If I was the manager...he would have been gone long ago.:mad:

block the port and eliminate the protocol, also do you have any info on the network? as to what you're using

Turn on Net Message and just send him random popup messages instructing him to get back to work, with it being "signed": -Management
:D

So, you want to go around IT and management and try to solve this yourself? Doesn't seem like a very good idea to me..

So, you want to go around IT and management and try to solve this yourself? Doesn't seem like a very good idea to me..

I'm not asking you if it's a good idea or not. It's a good idea because he won't go to management asking why he can't talk to his man lover while he should be supporting our company and sites.

Pretty good idea since we have the most senior members of our team wanting to implement this change.

Thanks Globox, I will look at blocking the port on the desktop

Send a shutdown command with a message in it and keep doing it over and over haha.

Have you tried talking to your/his manager? I know if I don't close tickets and pick new ones up my ass will get ridden.

I'm not asking you if it's a good idea or not. It's a good idea because he won't go to management asking why he can't talk to his man lover while he should be supporting our company and sites.

Pretty good idea since we have the most senior members of our team wanting to implement this change.

Block the website as well since its accessible through the web browser. Oh! and don't forget to tweak their host files at admin level.
this should help you in your endevours http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927847

Send a shutdown command with a message in it and keep doing it over and over haha.

Have you tried talking to your/his manager? I know if I don't close tickets and pick new ones up my ass will get ridden.

My manager seems oblivious to what the tech is doing. I honestly cannot say I've seen him due a full days of work. We believe he is just working in 'IT' as the goverment has those 2nd career services. He will come in each day about 15 or so min late, go on msn, play around with his playbook and do nothing productive for about 1-1.5 hours.

We will be speaking with our managers when we have our 1on1 meetings this week and going forward.

Block the website as well since its accessible through the web browser. Oh! and don't forget to tweak their host files at admin level.
this should help you in your endevours http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927847

What we will end up doing tomorrow morning is stop and disable the Windows Live messenger service and prevent it from restarting. This way the software will start but will not log him in.

Success...for now :)

My manager seems oblivious to what the tech is doing. I honestly cannot say I've seen him due a full days of work. We believe he is just working in 'IT' as the goverment has those 2nd career services. He will come in each day about 15 or so min late, go on msn, play around with his playbook and do nothing productive for about 1-1.5 hours.

We will be speaking with our managers when we have our 1on1 meetings this week and going forward.

What we will end up doing tomorrow morning is stop and disable the Windows Live messenger service and prevent it from restarting. This way the software will start but will not log him in.

Success...for now :)

you could always redirect windows live to redirect to icanhascheezburger

Just because you didn't ask if it was a good idea or not doesn't mean that nobody should tell you if you're doing something that could potentially come back to bite you hard.

It's a bad idea because instead of taking this up through the proper chain of command in your company, you're taking a vigilante action. You say he won't go to management, but what if he does? What if he finds the right manager or HR rep and screams that you messed with his system? They may not care what your reasoning was, and decide that you've both violated a company policy, firing you and him. Maybe nothing will happen, as you say - but is it worth the risk?

If this is legitimately causing extra work for you and your co-workers, talk to your manager.

This is a bad idea. Go to your manager, go to HR, don't take matters in to your own hands. You are going to be the one to end up losing your job.

My dad always had a saying, "Mess with shit long enough and you will get some of it on you."

Back