Restoring outlook email, contacts and calendar

So, for various reasons I need to restore a full outlook profile including emails, contacts and calendar. The target PC has a new installation of Windows 7 RC-1, the source of the data is a full copy of an old Vista installation which had the Outlook profile as part of an Office 2003 install. I believe Outlook stores the whole lot as a .pst file - do I just need to locate that and copy it across? IS it that simple? I'd like to also restore the email / user account settings and all the email folders from the old Outlook profile.

Thanks!

All you need is the pst file, but you will still need to enter in the settings on the new profile. Once it is configured and set up, you can import the old PST file to populate the folders, contacts, etc.

If Outlook connects to an Exchange server, it'll be a little more involved.
Otherwise, the PST is what holds all the mail & contacts, etc.
The account settings are stored in the registry, it would probably be easier to redo those manually like Deacon says.

If Outlook connects to an Exchange server, it'll be a little more involved.
Otherwise, the PST is what holds all the mail & contacts, etc.
The account settings are stored in the registry, it would probably be easier to redo those manually like Deacon says.

If outlook is connected to exchange then you just let it redownload everything from the exchange server.

If not manual account settings with a pst import is the way to go.

Office 2003 has a save my settings wizard. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826809
You can use it to backup everything (Outlook server settings, options, Word options, ...) if the source computer is still up and running and save to a file.
Then, you can use the wizard and the file you saved to import all the settings into the destination Office.
You still need to import the pst file

Last edited:
Back