Restoring backup image to different size hard drive?

sanitarium16

Limp Gawd
Im going to be upgrading my current RAID 0 raptors to RAID 0 velociraptors. Can i restore my acronis image i made to the bigger size velociraptors without any problems? Is it possible?

Acronis Workstation has no problem with this. And, I want to say Acronis Home can do it as well.

I could be wrong but I think you need to do a clone in order to resize the drive with Acronis. Im fairly certain an image backup cant be resized during the restore. If your running Vista it can be resized using Disk Manager after the restore.

Acronis True Image will give you the option to keep the same partition size you're restoring, or expand the image to fill the current space, or even shrink it somewhat to take up less (as long as the image has free space on it, from the original partition). I've done this on hundreds of occasions and never had one issue from doing it, either making the final destination larger or smaller.

One suggestion, and I'm only tossing this out because I know some people will appreciate it:

If you do such an action, meaning you restore an image that was <x> GB in size to a partition that you decided to shrink to <y> or enlarge to <z> size, when all is said and done and you're up and running the OS once again, run chkdsk on it just to ensure things are ok as far as Windows is concerned and do the immediate reboot if required so chkdsk can do the job correctly and without issues.

You shouldn't have any issues with restoring the original image to the new Raptors; I would only suggest doing it "clean" meaning use the entire space available on the Raptors if possible. Makes things easier, I'd think.

Good luck...

Back